Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Long sleeves and pants in the Whites for Lyme prevention?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Long sleeves and pants in the Whites for Lyme prevention?

I bought my plane ticket have my vacation time approved for July.

Visiting the family in RI and meeting my new niece who is expected in mid-June. Hopefully she looks like the mother and not my brother. :D

I will be spending four days in NH first and backpacking in the Whites. My buddy and I from Catholic school will be catching up while enjoying some of the best scenery back East.

Question: With the prevalence of Lyme disease in my old neck the woods, should I wear long sleeves and pants for this trip? Or is NH up higher not quite as a big an issue? I'll be the Pemi area basically.

I've seen mixed news; I thought I'd get info from people who live in the area!
    • I'm not qualified to tell you what you should do :D , but I'll tell you what I do.

I've come to the conclusion that I overheat way to easily to wear long clothes in the late spring and summer and would rather slightly increase my risk of tick bite by wearing shoet sleeve clothes in exchange for lowering my risk of heat stroke. This is the first year that my shorts and tshirt will be treated in permethrin.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Foresight wrote:

You have to go to school to be a Catholic?
      Nope. But it helps with becoming an ex-Catholic many years later.

WOO wrote:

Mags - you already know the answer... DWO Doesn't kill anything - simply repels insects.
      I don't even know what DWO means [1] Nor do I wish to kill insects per se. And, come to think of it, you really didn't answer my question about current conditions in NH either. Which I sure as hell wound't ask if I knew the answer. :)

[1] I have former co-workers who are retired NAvy. Perhaps the Deck Watch Officers don't kill anything? Or did you mean Driving While Old. Senile drivers can certainly kill people. acronymfinder.com/DWO.html

The post was edited 1 time, last by PaulMags ().

• PaulMags wrote:

WOO wrote:

Mags - you already know the answer... DWO Doesn't kill anything - simply repels insects.
      I don't even know what DWO means [1] Nor do I wish to kill insects per se. And, come to think of it, you really didn't answer my question about current conditions in NH either. Which I sure as hell wound't ask if I knew the answer. :)
      My apologies Paul, I have read your posts for years. I felt you were asking questions about stuff you have written about in past your Magazine or blog. Not much difference between NH and CO. The Mosquito's &Ticks can be miserable in NH to Maine. Canada is much worse I have seen black clouds of mosquitoes on ponds and quiet lakes. These higher latitudes are pure breeding grounds due to larger populations of mammals from mice to moose. To better answer your question - Yes long sleeves loose fitting shirts protect elbows and back. They do not appear to be attracted to white, and highly attracted to moving brown colors and carbon dioxide or exhale of breath. So White shirts do work.

DWO = Weep Woods Off There are different types now - the VII also deters chiggers found in tall grass. Its the ultimate repellent short of 100% deet.

You are at higher risk when crossing where power lines are present and the trees are pulled back. Riparian borders with rock and tall grass contains the most ticks. Leaf Litter where mice like to reproduce appears to be something else to watch for.

Here are the best.

3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion (Micro encapsulated to reduce skin absorbing properties)
      [IMG:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oyyOamghL.jpg]
      This
      insect repellent was developed for the military to provide long lasting
      protection against mosquitoes for up to 12 hours. It repels mosquitoes,
      ticks, biting flies, chiggers, gnats, fleas and deer flies. It contains
      about 34% DEET and very easy to apply.
      Features
      • Allows time released protection for up to 12 Hours
      • Splash & Sweat resistant to ensure consistent protection through all your outdoor activities
      • Repels deer ticks that may carry Lyme Disease, and mosquitoes that may carry West Nile Virus
      • Lotion formulation developed for and used by the US Military
      • Freeze Thaw Stable

Off! Deep Woods Insect Repellent V, 25% DEET
      [IMG:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4133qcwMGHL.jpg]
      Off! Deep Woods Insect Repellent
      Off!
      Deep Woods Insect Repellent provides long protection from mosquito
      bites. The spray leaves a slick layer of protection on the skin, but can
      also be sprayed on non-synthetic clothes. Deep Woods Off is quite
      effective in warding off not just mosquitoes but other bugs such as
      ticks, biting flies, gnats & chiggers.
      Features
      • Effective protection that won’t stain and resists perspiration
      • Aerosol spray allows for even coating
      • Provides long protection from mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies, gnats & chiggers.
      • 25-Percent DEET
      Sportman DWO 10 hour in a small pump spray available

What doesn't work well? Naturalpel, lemon Eucalyptus, Skin So Soft Etc...
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Woo wrote:

Not much difference between NH and CO.

The weather, plant life, terrain, ground cover and many more places are vastly different.

NH is far more difficult for backcountry skiing and off-trail travel than CO. Wetter, too. Even in the summer, Colorado is much cooler and drier.

And so on.

Sure you spent time in either place?

Being serious, I have not backpacked in NH since 2008 (though I did quite a bit for my formative backpacking) I was curious as to how important is bug protection vs nearly a decade ago.

Thanks for the answers.

The post was edited 2 times, last by PaulMags ().

• PaulMags wrote:

Woo wrote:

Not much difference between NH and CO. (INSECTS)
      The weather, plant life, terrain, ground cover and many more places are vastly different.

Sure you spent time in either place? YES

Being serious, I have not backpacked in NH since 2008 (though I did quite a bit for my formative backpacking) I was curious as to how important is bug protection vs nearly a decade ago.

Thanks for the answers.
      Scientists have enlightened everyone as Ticks & Mosquitoes can harbor some 20 + nasty diseases and some do not have a cure if not caught early enough.

This is the major list for ticks.....

Bacteria
      • Lyme disease or Borreliosis
      • Relapsing fever (Tick-borne relapsing fever, different from Lyme disease due to different Borrelia species and ticks)
        • Organisms: Borrelia species Such as Borrelia hermsii, Borrelia parkeri, Borrelia duttoni, Borrelia miyamotoi
        • Vector: Ornithodoros species
        • Regions : Primarily in Africa, Spain, Saudi Arabia, Asia in and certain areas of Canada and the western United States
        • Symptoms: Relapsing fever typically presents as recurring high fevers, flu like symptoms, headaches, and muscular pain, with less common symptoms including rigors, joint pain, altered mentation, cough, sore throat, painful urination, and rash.[7]
        • Treatment: antibiotics are the treatment for relapsing fever, with doxycycline, tetracycline, or erythromycin being the treatment of choice.[8]
      • Typhus Several diseases caused by Rickettsia bacteria (below).
      • Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
      • Helvetica Spotted fever
        • Organism: Rickettsia helvetica
        • Region(R Helvetica): Confirmed common in ticks in Sweden, Switzerland, France and in Laos[9]
        • Vector/Region(s)#1 : Ixodes ricinus is the main European vector[9]
        • Vector/Region(s)#2: Please add if more vectors are found.
        • Symptoms:Most often small red spots, other symptoms are fever, muscle pain, headache and respiratory problems[9]
        • Treatment: Broad band Antibiotic therapy are needed, it is likely that phenoxymethylpenicillin is sufficient.[9]
      • Ehrlichiosis anaplasmosis (formerly human granulocytic ehrlichiosis or HGE)
      • Tularemia
        • Organism: Francisella tularensis, A. americanum
        • Vector: D. andersoni, D. variabilis
        • Region (US): Southeast, South-Central, West, Widespread

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• Viruses
      Protozoa
      • Babesiosis
        • Organism: Babesia microti, B. equi
        • Vector: I. scapularis, I. pacificus
        • Region (US): Northeast West Coast
      • Cytauxzoonosis
        • Organism: C. felis
        • Vector: D. variabilis (American Dog Tick)
        • Region (US): South, Southeast
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I found the Ultrathon a few years ago for fly fishing. Doesn't make things melt! I also broke down and bought a new pair of zip offs. I have to dip them by Memorial day walk with Goody!
      Haven't really heard from Goody in a long while how is he doing?
      I will find out Memorial Day weekend! :thumbsup: He lives in Waterbury, totally out of my way to anywhere, and I've been doing so much trail work, it is tough to hook up.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Symptoms: Fever, arthritis, neuroborreliosis, erythema migrans, cranial nerve palsy, carditis
      Carditis rendered a dear friend of mine a widow at 48. She's a friend from my early days in the Corps. A huge part of the reason I still maintain a semblance of sanity. I got transferred, she got out, we kept in touch for a while but my then-wife was the extremely jealous type, even though Suz was/is more like a sister to me. Anyway, over time there was some drift (a concept we're all familiar with, right?) and until FB we had lost touch for a while. She had gotten married before we lost touch, but for a hundred reasons we haven't seen each other since I left MCAS Beaufort nearly 30 years ago, so I never had the honor of meeting JD. Through her I felt like I knew him though. A vibrant, fun-loving, outgoing, intelligent man who made my friend Suz extremely happy. Both quite outdoorsy. Last year he got sick. It was touch and go for a while and the docs didn't know it was Lyme, or didn't treat it quickly/aggressively enough. He spent a bit of time in the hospital, lost a lot of weight. He got out of the hospital and seemed to be on the mend, and then one day BAM. Rapid deterioration and he died a couple days later. He's the unnamed patient referenced in the article below. I saw it on TOS (had to be, because apparently it wasn't here as I thought it was). I was chatting with Suz last night and mentioned it that I had seen it on a backpacking/hiking forum shortly after she shared the article on FB. She was thrilled. Spreading the knowledge could save more lives. Apparently after last year the CDC instituted a protocol after JD's death, and that's at least partially to credit for what saved the life of the still-living gentleman in the article. So, for my Sunshine and in honor/memory of her late husband JD, I'm sharing it here as well. If it can save but one more life it will add further meaning to his.

Lyme Carditis
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee

The post was edited 1 time, last by Grinder ().

• Wise Old Owl wrote:

You are at higher risk when crossing where power lines are present and the trees are pulled back. Riparian borders with rock and tall grass contains the most ticks. Leaf Litter where mice like to reproduce appears to be something else to watch for.

Here are the best.

3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion (Micro encapsulated to reduce skin absorbing properties)
      [IMG:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oyyOamghL.jpg]
      This
      insect repellent was developed for the military to provide long lasting
      protection against mosquitoes for up to 12 hours. It repels mosquitoes,
      ticks, biting flies, chiggers, gnats, fleas and deer flies. It contains
      about 34% DEET and very easy to apply.
      Features
      • Allows time released protection for up to 12 Hours
      • Splash & Sweat resistant to ensure consistent protection through all your outdoor activities
      • Repels deer ticks that may carry Lyme Disease, and mosquitoes that may carry West Nile Virus
      • Lotion formulation developed for and used by the US Military
      • Freeze Thaw Stable

Off! Deep Woods Insect Repellent V, 25% DEET
      [IMG:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4133qcwMGHL.jpg]
      Off! Deep Woods Insect Repellent
      Off!
      Deep Woods Insect Repellent provides long protection from mosquito
      bites. The spray leaves a slick layer of protection on the skin, but can
      also be sprayed on non-synthetic clothes. Deep Woods Off is quite
      effective in warding off not just mosquitoes but other bugs such as
      ticks, biting flies, gnats & chiggers.
      Features
      • Effective protection that won’t stain and resists perspiration
      • Aerosol spray allows for even coating
      • Provides long protection from mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies, gnats & chiggers.
      • 25-Percent DEET
      Sportman DWO 10 hour in a small pump spray available

What doesn't work well? Naturalpel, lemon Eucalyptus, Skin So Soft Etc...
      For those of you who, like me, didn't know what riparian meant:
      "A riparian zone or riparian area is the interface between land and a river or stream."

Thanks WOO. Good usable info. Appreciate it!