Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Toys I want

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Toys I want

      I believe I'm going through my mid-life crisis late in life, I've come close to buying a WRX and a Honda S2000 but wasn't in enough crisis to follow through, drove a Miata years ago but it didn't have enough power to excite me, drove a new one today...I'm aroused...only 155 HP but the thing scoots like you wouldn't believe, 0-60 in 5.8, top speed 129 MPH, just enough room in the trunk for two back packs, would be real fun on the Dragon's Tail.

      mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPa…20160503223724:s#overview
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Never had interest in owning an MX-5, but they sure are fun to rent. On our honeymoon, we found a place in San Francisco that rented us one that was a convertible with a manual transmission. We took it up and down the Pacific Coast Highway, through wine country and to Armstrong park. Good times.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • Not me, I'm going the other way getting rid of stuff that's frankly....unimportant for a fulfilling life as I round 3rd. A roof, some heat when it's cold, indoor plumbing, and off street parking are all I need, oh, an a Internet connection...but I'm rethinking that too.
    • mental note wrote:

      Not me, I'm going the other way getting rid of stuff that's frankly....unimportant for a fulfilling life as I round 3rd. A roof, some heat when it's cold, indoor plumbing, and off street parking are all I need, oh, an a Internet connection...but I'm rethinking that too.
      That sounds really good. I could happily get rid of at least 90% of the stuff in my house.

      Except, I've been lusting over this toy.

      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      mental note wrote:

      Not me, I'm going the other way getting rid of stuff that's frankly....unimportant for a fulfilling life as I round 3rd. A roof, some heat when it's cold, indoor plumbing, and off street parking are all I need, oh, an a Internet connection...but I'm rethinking that too.
      That sounds really good. I could happily get rid of at least 90% of the stuff in my house.
      Except, I've been lusting over this toy.


      Looks kinky ......... :D
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • I consider myself pretty fortunate. Theres not too many toys I want for myself. However I am considering trading my pick up in for a 4 door Jeep. Ive always wanted a Jeep and maybe its time to get one. Oh, and off time from work. Ive accumulated over 800 hours of vacation time......
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

      I consider myself pretty fortunate. Theres not too many toys I want for myself. However I am considering trading my pick up in for a 4 door Jeep. Ive always wanted a Jeep and maybe its time to get one. Oh, and off time from work. Ive accumulated over 800 hours of vacation time......
      Wow that is almost 5 months, enough time to do a thru-hike of the AT. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • mental note wrote:

      Not me, I'm going the other way getting rid of stuff that's frankly....unimportant for a fulfilling life as I round 3rd. A roof, some heat when it's cold, indoor plumbing, and off street parking are all I need, oh, an a Internet connection...but I'm rethinking that too.
      "Rounding 3rd"?
      You are my age or younger. I prefer not to think I am that far along, but I guess in reality I might be. :/
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • FWIW, when I received the Backpacker magazine Gear issue this year for the first time there was not anything in it that I felt really wanted and had to go out and buy. So I guess either I have invested enough in gear for now, or just evolved, or something like that. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      Trebor wrote:

      I consider myself pretty fortunate. Theres not too many toys I want for myself. However I am considering trading my pick up in for a 4 door Jeep. Ive always wanted a Jeep and maybe its time to get one. Oh, and off time from work. Ive accumulated over 800 hours of vacation time......
      Wow that is almost 5 months, enough time to do a thru-hike of the AT. :)
      I'm thinking a JMT hike.......and a fly fishing excursion in Alaska
      RIAP
    • Astro wrote:

      mental note wrote:

      Not me, I'm going the other way getting rid of stuff that's frankly....unimportant for a fulfilling life as I round 3rd. A roof, some heat when it's cold, indoor plumbing, and off street parking are all I need, oh, an a Internet connection...but I'm rethinking that too.
      "Rounding 3rd"?You are my age or younger. I prefer not to think I am that far along, but I guess in reality I might be. :/
      I started playing the game early, and played to hard at times, no regerts...had a good run!
    • mental note wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      mental note wrote:

      Not me, I'm going the other way getting rid of stuff that's frankly....unimportant for a fulfilling life as I round 3rd. A roof, some heat when it's cold, indoor plumbing, and off street parking are all I need, oh, an a Internet connection...but I'm rethinking that too.
      "Rounding 3rd"?You are my age or younger. I prefer not to think I am that far along, but I guess in reality I might be. :/
      I started playing the game early, and played to hard at times, no regerts...had a good run!
      I'm still disappointed that I didn't know you back then. You've probably forgotten more about hunting and trapping than I've learned.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

      mental note wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      mental note wrote:

      Not me, I'm going the other way getting rid of stuff that's frankly....unimportant for a fulfilling life as I round 3rd. A roof, some heat when it's cold, indoor plumbing, and off street parking are all I need, oh, an a Internet connection...but I'm rethinking that too.
      "Rounding 3rd"?You are my age or younger. I prefer not to think I am that far along, but I guess in reality I might be. :/
      I started playing the game early, and played to hard at times, no regerts...had a good run!
      I'm still disappointed that I didn't know you back then. You've probably forgotten more about hunting and trapping than I've learned.
      not really, everything I learned you can learn too. Although I never shot my foot off, my mouths another story.
    • For a period of time I passed through a car/truck phase that's resurging. Restored to a reliable daily driver condition a 49 5 window Chevy pickup, 67 Mustang, 67 Chevelle, and 66 Corvette. All were sold.

      However in past months I've started two projects...40 Ford pickup (to factory specs as much as feasible) and a 46 Ford pick up (intended to be a daily driver with a fuel injected engine, power front disk brakes, and modern electrical system).

      Though I do have my eye on a neighbor's 72 Jeep with a blown engine. If the price gets right, might pull the trigger.

      Lest we forget.....



      SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • If I had a garage, or some other place to work, I'd love to restore my wife's '71 VW bus.
      But the possibility of doing a good job working out on the driveway is slim to none.
      I could probably put up one of those fabric shelters to keep out the weather but it would still be far from ideal.
    • LIhikers wrote:

      If I had a garage, or some other place to work, I'd love to restore my wife's '71 VW bus.
      But the possibility of doing a good job working out on the driveway is slim to none.
      I could probably put up one of those fabric shelters to keep out the weather but it would still be far from ideal.
      I have a nieghbor that has done that very thing, a tent tarp type affair, I guess he likes it better than his two car garage, or maybe they're full.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      mental note wrote:

      Not me, I'm going the other way getting rid of stuff that's frankly....unimportant for a fulfilling life as I round 3rd. A roof, some heat when it's cold, indoor plumbing, and off street parking are all I need, oh, an a Internet connection...but I'm rethinking that too.
      That sounds really good. I could happily get rid of at least 90% of the stuff in my house.
      Except, I've been lusting over this toy.


      If this is true we are changing your trail name to Spin Doctor.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • One of the few things my wife will not do is tent... so I sold / got rid of the previous classic 25 year old motor home and moved up to a Sportsman 14 2010 on the cheap... its nothing more than a queen bed a side bed for the grand daughter and a bath/shower separate toilet and kitchenette. I can stow my cast Iron kitchen in the front and life is good.

      [IMG:http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DSC_0039a1.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      mental note wrote:

      Not me, I'm going the other way getting rid of stuff that's frankly....unimportant for a fulfilling life as I round 3rd. A roof, some heat when it's cold, indoor plumbing, and off street parking are all I need, oh, an a Internet connection...but I'm rethinking that too.
      That sounds really good. I could happily get rid of at least 90% of the stuff in my house.Except, I've been lusting over this toy.


      If this is true we are changing your trail name to Spin Doctor.
      props! that's actually pretty brilliant, much as I hate to admit it.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

      One of the few things my wife will not do is tent... so I sold / got rid of the previous classic 25 year old motor home and moved up to a Sportsman 14 2010 on the cheap... its nothing more than a queen bed a side bed for the grand daughter and a bath/shower separate toilet and kitchenette. I can stow my cast Iron kitchen in the front and life is good.

      [IMG:http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DSC_0039a1.jpg]
      My wife too has a hard time with tents. We have a Coleman pop up camper we have used for car camping for the past 20 years. We're actually looking to trade down. With the kids gone we don't need so much room and I have a hard time manipulating a 2000 lb trailer anymore these days. But it's hard finding ultra light campers any more these days. They all have too may bells and whistles. She loves camping. She just needs a real bed not too close to the ground.
    • odd man out wrote:

      Wise Old Owl wrote:

      One of the few things my wife will not do is tent... so I sold / got rid of the previous classic 25 year old motor home and moved up to a Sportsman 14 2010 on the cheap... its nothing more than a queen bed a side bed for the grand daughter and a bath/shower separate toilet and kitchenette. I can stow my cast Iron kitchen in the front and life is good.

      [IMG:http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DSC_0039a1.jpg]
      My wife too has a hard time with tents. We have a Coleman pop up camper we have used for car camping for the past 20 years. We're actually looking to trade down. With the kids gone we don't need so much room and I have a hard time manipulating a 2000 lb trailer anymore these days. But it's hard finding ultra light campers any more these days. They all have too may bells and whistles. She loves camping. She just needs a real bed not too close to the ground.
      Well here is a shocker - much has changed in the last five years. I saw this one on Craigslist. At 14 feet it pictured a real bathtub for children inside a shower. That won me over I drove some 50+ miles to see it and negotiated this $6000 to $4000 tax and tags. I brought it back with my 2006 Dodge Caravan and its 2200 pounds. It has enough skylights, and AC and Heater. I know how to up convert to solar and add a small generator. Currently I have a 300 watt inverter to stay out of the campgrounds. A few disappointments...its clearly three season... in winter its a propane guzzler. The gas heater is noisy and the grey and black tanks can freeze. Clearly this is a "week only" system. I replaced all the lights with LED and the battery and that helped. Currently working on a modification for the bumper to add bicycles. The other disappointment is the refrigeration. Simply it needs to be larger. And the current space it occupies needs to be drawers. Added Bluetooth to the amp and I plan to install outside speakers. Otherwise the beds are big and life is good. Ashley loves overnights in the camper and for a five year old she loves it. Bottom line - it can be towed with some cars.....
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • odd man out wrote:

      Wise Old Owl wrote:

      One of the few things my wife will not do is tent... so I sold / got rid of the previous classic 25 year old motor home and moved up to a Sportsman 14 2010 on the cheap... its nothing more than a queen bed a side bed for the grand daughter and a bath/shower separate toilet and kitchenette. I can stow my cast Iron kitchen in the front and life is good.

      [IMG:http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DSC_0039a1.jpg]
      My wife too has a hard time with tents. We have a Coleman pop up camper we have used for car camping for the past 20 years. We're actually looking to trade down. With the kids gone we don't need so much room and I have a hard time manipulating a 2000 lb trailer anymore these days. But it's hard finding ultra light campers any more these days. They all have too may bells and whistles. She loves camping. She just needs a real bed not too close to the ground.
      I've seen a couple of Casitas on the road and finally viewed one close up. The owner tows with an older Explorer and had several positive comments. She said the trip to Alaska and return would had been ridiculously expensive without the trailer.

      Lightweight, self-contained, and looked comfortable.

      I should get one and camp out in the university parking lot.

      Lest we forget.....



      SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • odd man out wrote:

      1965 Jaguar E Type Convertible Yellow, just like the one Peter O'Toole and Audry Hepburn used to cruise around Paris in "How to Steal a Million"
      Enzo Ferrari said it was the most beautiful car ever made.
      imcdb.org/vehicle_10510-Jaguar-E-Type-1965.html


      Driving to work today, residential/semi-industrial road. There was one of these going the other way! Top down!
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      I had a 13 ft Scamp I towed with my Subaru. Similar to a Casita or Escape. We loved it.

      LIhikers wrote:

      WOO,
      I hope you and your family get a lot of enjoyment out of that new camper.
      I like the value of Scamp and the Casita here is the rub its all about versatility... At 14 feet it is a little cramped a 16 foot is better and watch out as this is the OMG of towing as many vehicles cannot go past 2200 pounds. Be very careful... we had major discussions with our Mechanic's! I did find a 24' that can be towed by a car .... after the purchase.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: