Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Knives

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I bought one of the Swiss Army knives with about 20 tools and blades. Corkscrew, awl, screwdriver, and a couple of blades, scissors, tweezers and plastic toothpick. And some others. But its in my pocket, not clipped onto my belt although it comes with a ring I could put on a pants loop.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I need to replace my lost knife and want to gift one to my daughter so ordered a Leatherman micra and a Leatherman squirt because I don't know which one I want. The squirt has needlenose pliers.

What are practical uses for pliers when you're hiking?
      I carry a Squirt and can't remember the last time I opened it, because Kathy carries a Swiss Army Knife with a much larger blade.
    • The only thing I want on a knife is a knife, if a bear attacks me I don't want to cork screw it to death...I do like a clip so I can clip it my pocket for easy access and I always know where it is...must be a real knife but not over 2 oz.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

The only thing I want on a knife is a knife, if a bear attacks me I don't want to cork screw it to death...I do like a clip so I can clip it my pocket for easy access and I always know where it is...must be a real knife but not over 2 oz.
      you turn his nuts with the pliers you just won a fight.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

Drybones wrote:

The only thing I want on a knife is a knife, if a bear attacks me I don't want to cork screw it to death...I do like a clip so I can clip it my pocket for easy access and I always know where it is...must be a real knife but not over 2 oz.
      That one made me cross my legs.
    • sheepdog wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Reminded me of this scene from Stir Crazy

The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • JimBlue wrote:

I bought one of the Swiss Army knives with about 20 tools and blades. Corkscrew, awl, screwdriver, and a couple of blades, scissors, tweezers and plastic toothpick. And some others. But its in my pocket, not clipped onto my belt although it comes with a ring I could put on a pants loop.
      Don't trust the ring. If you don't keep it within a deep cargo pocket or the backpack, secure it to your belt via a paracord belt sheath.

sheepdog wrote:

I've used mine to pull porcupine quills out of my dogs nose.
      Done this.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I nearly always have an elderly PST Leatherman close at hand. The pliers have participated in trail side bike repair, fan belt replacement on an elderly Simca in Bosnia, and removed cactus spines from a hand after an awkward placement.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Referring to the video clip of 'That's not a knife', one of my Australian buddies always made this comment when someone utilized a knife for common tasks. He regularly carried a K-Bar given to him by his father, a Korean War combat vet.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dan76: Correcting a misspelling. ().

• I actualy carrried a "Real Knife" at start of my AT thru. it was a the lightweight version of a Buckmaster. A true high grade survival knife used by navy SEALs in I did use it a lot. At 12" long & 8" blade it was half axe. Most nights if I wanted a fire there were partially burned trunks already in the fire ring or arond it. Where other failed to start a fire I was able to. That was in 88

Today I still carry a fixed blae. Much smaller & lighter. I can't chop like an axe, but I can baton & split wood. I also don't hike much where I need to. Like shelters & cooking gear I consider what is appropriate for each trip.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I actualy carrried a "Real Knife" at start of my AT thru. it was a the lightweight version of a Buckmaster. A true high grade survival knife used by navy SEALs in I did use it a lot. At 12" long & 8" blade it was half axe. Most nights if I wanted a fire there were partially burned trunks already in the fire ring or arond it. Where other failed to start a fire I was able to. That was in 88

Today I still carry a fixed blae. Much smaller & lighter. I can't chop like an axe, but I can baton & split wood. I also don't hike much where I need to. Like shelters & cooking gear I consider what is appropriate for each trip.
      Yep, i really only need a fixed blade. The only thing I've used my knife for is cutting sausage, cheese, and yarn. There's just something about a multi tool though...
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I actualy carrried a "Real Knife" at start of my AT thru. it was a the lightweight version of a Buckmaster. A true high grade survival knife used by navy SEALs in I did use it a lot. At 12" long & 8" blade it was half axe. Most nights if I wanted a fire there were partially burned trunks already in the fire ring or arond it. Where other failed to start a fire I was able to. That was in 88

Yep, i really only need a fixed blade. The only thing I've used my knife for is cutting sausage, cheese, and yarn. There's just something about a multi tool though...
      Agree.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • While a lot of Americans (myself included) loved Paul Hogan/Crocodile Dundee, most people I have met from the land down under don't.
      While not as extreme as Junior Samples representing all Southerners, I believe it might be along those lines.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • One of my Dad's buddies from the Navy was married to junior Samples' sister. I met him several times and what you saw on TV is what you got in real life. He was a fine individual. They lived in Lula, GA which is not that far from here so my dad and his buddy stayed in touch. His (the friend, not junior) daughter, Sandra, was killed in a car crash on the night she was crowned homecoming queen.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Foresight wrote:

One of my Dad's buddies from the Navy was married to junior Samples' sister. I met him several times and what you saw on TV is what you got in real life. He was a fine individual. They lived in Lula, GA which is not that far from here so my dad and his buddy stayed in touch. His (the friend, not junior) daughter, Sandra, was killed in a car crash on the night she was crowned homecoming queen.
      You have to wonder why the town founders named the town Lula.
    • From a hiking backpacking standpoint - I cannot imagine needing a fix blade, solid or hollow handle. Too heavy - frequently a poor steel. Clearly Kbar is a great knife with good steel that works in a survival situation... But rarely would hiking here in the east require such a knife. I like the squirt for backpacking. It holds an edge better than Swiss. One can make a fuzz stick in a downpour with it. Possibly the most important skill is removing wet bark from thin branches to expose the pine pitch & wood to get a fire started.

I do have a UL old Shrade that folds and locks.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I need to replace my lost knife and want to gift one to my daughter so ordered a Leatherman micra and a Leatherman squirt because I don't know which one I want. The squirt has needlenose pliers.

I carry a leatherman Micra backpacking and I use the scissors more than any other item, I would not willing trade it for the pliers in the squirt.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I carry a leatherman Micra backpacking and I use the scissors more than any other item, I would not willing trade it for the pliers in the squirt.
      What do you use the scissors for?
    • Drybones wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Opening food packages, cutting moleskin, cutting rope, emergency repairs, digging out minor slivers, puncturing empty butane canisters for disposal, etc.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Drybones wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

trimming my toenails and fingernails.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Drybones wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Opening food packages, cutting moleskin, cutting rope, emergency repairs, digging out minor slivers, puncturing empty butane canisters for disposal, etc.
      I do all that with a knife blade.......and...I cut the cheese.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

trimming my toenails and fingernails.
      My luxury item....nail clippers.