Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Stop Hugging Your Dog -- You're Stressing Him Out!!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dan76 wrote:

A Senga update...she's meeting the recipients this week. After a familiarization, she'll be matched with someone.

This is a pic of her graduating class.

She was placed with a family in the Midwest.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I have my daughters boxer/shepherd rescue dog for 4-5 weeks. She's a wonderful sweet tempered mutt that needs a tune up. 1.come when called. 2. No jumping. So the house is in turmoil. Bob the cat and sweet Bella the springer are not pleased.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • Dan76 wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

A Senga update...she's meeting the recipients this week. After a familiarization, she'll be matched with someone.

My wife and I raised an even dozen puppies for The Guide Dog Foundation For The Blind
      As much as I enjoyed working with the dogs the best part was meeting the person the dog was matched with. We also had a few dogs that flunked their training. 2 of them went into law enforcement, 1 with the ATF and the other went to the San Francisco Fire Department's police unit. The 3rd was a total goof off and eventually became someone's pet. One thing I learned was that walking, and training, cute puppies in public is a great way to meet women. The puppy is a women magnet ! :D
    • LIhikers wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

My wife and I raised an even dozen puppies for The Guide Dog Foundation For The BlindAs much as I enjoyed working with the dogs the best part was meeting the person the dog was matched with. We also had a few dogs that flunked their training. 2 of them went into law enforcement, 1 with the ATF and the other went to the San Francisco Fire Department's police unit. The 3rd was a total goof off and eventually became someone's pet. One thing I learned was that walking, and training, cute puppies in public is a great way to meet women. The puppy is a women magnet ! :D
      We don't consider our dogs as flunking but as 'change of career' dogs. ;)

Today was a training day for my current pup. She spent hours playing in fresh snow but usually responded quickly to various commands. She's exhausted this pm.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

My wife and I raised an even dozen puppies for The Guide Dog Foundation For The BlindAs much as I enjoyed working with the dogs the best part was meeting the person the dog was matched with. We also had a few dogs that flunked their training. 2 of them went into law enforcement, 1 with the ATF and the other went to the San Francisco Fire Department's police unit. The 3rd was a total goof off and eventually became someone's pet. One thing I learned was that walking, and training, cute puppies in public is a great way to meet women. The puppy is a women magnet ! :D
      We don't consider our dogs as flunking but as 'change of career' dogs. ;) ....................................................
      Same here.
    • Q

Dresden and I were invited to the Winter Outdoor Retailers show in Salt Lake. We spent a day visiting booths featuring the newest in outdoor gear. The above suspended tent was a hit for her. However she clearly enjoyed relaxing in a snowbank during one of her outdoor breaks.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dmax wrote:

No more hugging for us. After 17 years she received her doggy wings. Fly high Coco.
      This pic is from a day hike at Watauga lake. Shook branch to the dam and back. She had a scent to follow so even after that any miles she still beat me back to the car.
      Sorry to hear that Dmax, mine passed on about 4 months ago, I still think about her often.
    • meat wrote:

Dmax wrote:

No more hugging for us. After 17 years she received her doggy wings. Fly high Coco.
      This pic is from a day hike at Watauga lake. Shook branch to the dam and back. She had a scent to follow so even after that any miles she still beat me back to the car.
      Sorry to hear that Dmax, mine passed on about 4 months ago, I still think about her often.
      I trimmed a bush in the backyard and Molly is obsessed with the pile of brush. I think she smells Casper as he loved to pee on the bushes
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

Dmax wrote:

I trimmed a bush in the backyard and Molly is obsessed with the pile of brush. I think she smells Casper as he loved to pee on the bushes
      oh okay, so you got another dog...the one in your avatar, excelent! My wife just asked me the other day if I had given any thought to another dog. Honestly I haven't...maybe one day.
    • meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

Dmax wrote:

oh okay, so you got another dog...the one in your avatar, excelent! My wife just asked me the other day if I had given any thought to another dog. Honestly I haven't...maybe one day.
      I've had Molly, she's 8. Never really been bonded to her, she's always been standoffish and a little bitch...food guarding and bullying Casper. Casper was my sweetie and never let me out of sight.

Funny, Mollys a different dog without Casper. She's become sweet and a little more cuddly and I'm really enjoying her more than ever.

I don't plan to have any more pets when she is gone.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

Dmax wrote:

I've had Molly, she's 8. Never really been bonded to her, she's always been standoffish and a little bitch...food guarding and bullying Casper. Casper was my sweetie and never let me out of sight.
      Funny, Mollys a different dog without Casper. She's become sweet and a little more cuddly and I'm really enjoying her more than ever.

kinda how I'm thinking, were both getting up in years and may down size when the kids are gone, not sure if a dog would be a good fit at that point, but we'll see.
    • meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

Dmax wrote:

I've had Molly, she's 8. Never really been bonded to her, she's always been standoffish and a little bitch...food guarding and bullying Casper. Casper was my sweetie and never let me out of sight.Funny, Mollys a different dog without Casper. She's become sweet and a little more cuddly and I'm really enjoying her more than ever.

kinda how I'm thinking, were both getting up in years and may down size when the kids are gone, not sure if a dog would be a good fit at that point, but we'll see.
      O course, I say this but every day I think...what kind of dog do I want next? Lol! It'll have to be a hiking dog.
    • I've always loved Molly and she's definitely not neglected....she loves (and gets plenty of) belly rubs. She's my hunter, constantly chasing birds, bees, lizards...and she loves to get dirty. I've just never felt as intensely for her as I did Casper. But that seems to be changing.
    • LIhikers wrote:

As much as I like our animals, if it were up to me we wouldn't have any pets.
      Kathy has other ideas. She's already told me that when I die she'll replace me by having a second dog.
      I'm not sure if that's an insult or a compliment...lol... :?:
      Take it as a compliment.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

Dmax wrote:

I've had Molly, she's 8. Never really been bonded to her, she's always been standoffish and a little bitch...food guarding and bullying Casper. Casper was my sweetie and never let me out of sight.Funny, Mollys a different dog without Casper. She's become sweet and a little more cuddly and I'm really enjoying her more than ever.

The last of our current pack of three is the wonder rescue. No more dogs, because when he passes, we've decided to hold off on another as that should be around our retirement age and we plan to live out of our backpacks around the globe for the first 3 or 4 years...
    • Two service dogs in training after a good romp.

Yesterday they both travelled on the local mass transit system...light rail, commuter train, and a trolley.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • sheepdog wrote:

My girl Izzy smiles. It's hard to get a good picture because she is wiggling all over when she does it. This is the best so far.
      Sindy Lou had this thing, when the wife got out of bed in the morning she would hop in bed with me and not let the wife back in bed...photo taken by wife trying to get back into bed.
      Images
      • Untitled-Scanned-61.jpg

114.38 kB, 800×574, viewed 380 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Last August I turned in another CCI puppy in training for 'graduate' school training. She underwent six months of specialized training to match a disabled person's needs. Recently she graduated and is now an assistant to a physical therapist specializing with children. Her last hike/outing prior to turnin.
      her graduation ceremony.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Drybones wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

My girl Izzy smiles. It's hard to get a good picture because she is wiggling all over when she does it. This is the best so far.
      Sindy Lou had this thing, when the wife got out of bed in the morning she would hop in bed with me and not let the wife back in bed...photo taken by wife trying to get back into bed.
      Looks like shes saying “now go fetch my breakfast” :D
    • Jake Ace wrote:

Drybones wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

I had an airdale that smiled like that when we came home, probably scared robbers off wanting to be friends.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

Drybones wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

I had an airdale that smiled like that when we came home, probably scared robbers off wanting to be friends.
      my Chesapeake would smile like that, scared the crap out of everyone, he was 100 pounds of muscle and love.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference