Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned Introduce Yourself

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Introduce Yourself

rocksNsocks wrote:

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Wait!... Astro's a woman?

he disguises it well

Actually I am 100% Male, always have been, always will be!

2 things about that comment, first consider the source, and second FWIW I am not the one with pigtails.

JustBill, happy to have you here. :)
      ha ha ha ha knew it all along. nothin wrong with my radar. :lol:

Oh thank god!! I was suddenly wondering what was wrong with my radar.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Introduce Yourself

you guys are a hoot, thank you all for the welcome.

curious who's from the Northern NJ, SW NY, western CT area? I'd love to pick some brains about AT end to end when I get back to the states (which is tomo). will be in NW PA for a while but plan on playing some in the Catskills early march as part of my prep work and to just have a little fun, been a while since I've played in the snow and ice - anybody near that area that would like to meet up and share their wit and experience? I know a lot is shared in forums but I'm still a bit old school and like good ole f2f conversations. I'm not new to hiking but like I said, never done a thru so....old dogs need to be taught new tricks
    • Introduce Yourself

LostAndFound wrote:

curious who's from the Northern NJ, SW NY, western CT area? I'd love to pick some brains about AT end to end when I get back to the states (which is tomo). will be in NW PA for a while but plan on playing some in the Catskills early march as part of my prep work and to just have a little fun, been a while since I've played in the snow and ice - anybody near that area that would like to meet up and share their wit and experience? I know a lot is shared in forums but I'm still a bit old school and like good ole f2f conversations. I'm not new to hiking but like I said, never done a thru so....old dogs need to be taught new tricks
      you ve got a few here from that area. im personally familiar with the at anywhere north of pa. the only sections i havent yet hiked are va,wva, md and lower pa.
      youll get plenty of good info here
      its all good
    • Introduce Yourself

CoachLou wrote:

You guys forget back in the late spring......either HMKD58 or deerhunter shuttled him and posted pics

Yeah, they picked me up in Pearisburg and I took them to eat at The Place (great option after 4 weeks in the woods). Based upon that picture I would say I looked at lot more like Oz than a woman.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Introduce Yourself

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

You guys forget back in the late spring......either HMKD58 or deerhunter shuttled him and posted pics

Yeah, they picked me up in Pearisburg and I took them to eat at The Place (great option after 4 weeks in the woods). Based upon that picture I would say I looked at lot more like Oz than a woman.
      Astro, there was never a doubt in my mind about you, but ttrain wreck will tell you that several ladies came into the old cafe (I'm drawing a blank on who ) and I was talkin to then like they were sailors...for like a month, happened on more than few occasions.

..I think Water Rat, oh! duh, and Train Wreck herself, hehe

So now I just ask...if I remember to. :ohmy:
    • Introduce Yourself

LostAndFound wrote:

Laf, I'm only at this game a couple years, but live in central NJ, but as HB said, there's plenty of info here among the members, if you have a specific place you wanna go..ask away. as far as trail heads and parking goes, this may be helpful to you.

http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/
      http://www.nynjtc.org/view/hike

and this cool map that our very own "Another Kevin" posted, I love this map.
      http://kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/test2.html?la=41.265&lo=-74.120&z=13

..i'm afraid I can't get away this weekend, Birthday to attend...Mine (shameless plug) :lol: not sure what they got goin on for me.
    • Introduce Yourself

rocksNsocks wrote:

LostAndFound wrote:

Laf, I'm only at this game a couple years, but live in central NJ, but as HB said, there's plenty of info here among the members, if you have a specific place you wanna go..ask away. as far as trail heads and parking goes, this may be helpful to you.

..i'm afraid I can't get away this weekend, Birthday to attend...Mine (shameless plug) :lol: not sure what they got goin on for me.

Happy soon to be birthday!
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Introduce Yourself

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

LostAndFound wrote:

Happy soon to be birthday!
      Thank you
    • Introduce Yourself

LostAndFound wrote:

curious who's from the Northern NJ, SW NY, western CT area?

I live in Niskayuna, NY (between Albany and Schenectady) and do occasional weekends in the Catskills (making slow progress toward the 35: I think I'm up to 16 summer and 3 winter). If you can tolerate hiking with a snail - I'm SLOW - I'd love to have someone to go out with. March is dodgy because the weather can be anything from full-on blizzard to 80 degree summer day, but if Mother Nature cooperates, I'd be game for a day trip or overnighter. I can go just about anywhere in the Cats if you give me lots of time to get there.

Any place you're particularly interested in going? If the weather allows, I'd like to try for Blackhead while the calendar says it's still winter. I don't want to do it in heavy ice - my ice-axe-and-crampon skills aren't current - but if it's approachable with microspikes or snowshoes, that'd be great.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Introduce Yourself

Aloha everybody! My name is Daniel. I have adopted "Blacksmith" as a handle, it's a hobby of mine. I arrived here by a gracious invitation from Hikerboy via email through the Blaze.
      In the past I enjoyed hiking quite a bit but haven't done any long distance stuff, four days/three nights several times when I lived close to the FLT along its main course. Recently divorced and very much looking forward to hitting the trails again. I'm discovering there are quite a few in my area, the FLT being the closest which branches off the rails-to-trails that I walk at least five miles on everyday. Little by little I will expand my horizons and shoot for a major trail through hike in the not too distant future. By the end of the season I'd like to chalk up a walk to the PA line from here, about 100 miles from my door to Kinzua in the Allegheny National Forest. That I think I could do in five days.
      Lots to learn in the meantime but no hurries. When it gets to be too much like work it just ain't no fun anymore ;)

Cheers, thanks for having me!
    • Introduce Yourself

Blacksmith wrote:

Aloha everybody! My name is Daniel. I have adopted "Blacksmith" as a handle, it's a hobby of mine. I arrived here by a gracious invitation from Hikerboy via email through the Blaze.
      In the past I enjoyed hiking quite a bit but haven't done any long distance stuff, four days/three nights several times when I lived close to the FLT along its main course. Recently divorced and very much looking forward to hitting the trails again. I'm discovering there are quite a few in my area, the FLT being the closest which branches off the rails-to-trails that I walk at least five miles on everyday. Little by little I will expand my horizons and shoot for a major trail through hike in the not too distant future. By the end of the season I'd like to chalk up a walk to the PA line from here, about 100 miles from my door to Kinzua in the Allegheny National Forest. That I think I could do in five days.
      Lots to learn in the meantime but no hurries. When it gets to be too much like work it just ain't no fun anymore ;)

Welcome, you'll learn a lot here. Don't be afraid to ask the stupid questions, no one bites and I won't feel so alone...just kidding btw
      gif.004
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Introduce Yourself

Blacksmith wrote:

Welcome.
      The potatoes are STILL green.
      The coffee's lousy, but the atmosphere is good.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Introduce Yourself

Blacksmith wrote:

Welcome Blacksmith, cool hobby!
    • Introduce Yourself

OzJacko wrote:

Blacksmith wrote:

Welcome.

Stale whiskey,
      Warm beer,
      Lousy service,
      Welcome here!

Hey, is that one of them high kookoo thingys?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Introduce Yourself

milkman wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Blacksmith wrote:

Welcome.

Stale whiskey,
      Warm beer,
      Lousy service,
      Welcome here!

I...I believe it was...Nearnuff.

Revision...if it ain't it outta be.
    • Introduce Yourself

milkman wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Blacksmith wrote:

Welcome.

Stale whiskey,
      Warm beer,
      Lousy service,
      Welcome here!

Stale whiskey,
      Warm beer,
      Lousy service,
      Welcome here!
      liquor in the front poker in the rear.
    • Introduce Yourself

Hi, I would like to introduce myself. I am hiker58, and no that is not my age...lol I've been interested in hiking this trail eversince I knew it existed 2008. A lot of unexpected barriers have been overcome and I think I'm just about ready to get started. I'd like to do the thru' hike. I am just not sure if I want to start in the north or south... :S
    • Introduce Yourself

hiker58 wrote:

Hi, I would like to introduce myself. I am hiker58, and no that is not my age...lol I've been interested in hiking this trail eversince I knew it existed 2008. A lot of unexpected barriers have been overcome and I think I'm just about ready to get started. I'd like to do the thru' hike. I am just not sure if I want to start in the north or south... :S

Welcome Hiker 58...did ya ever consider starting in the middle? I haven't, but some do.
    • Introduce Yourself

hiker58 wrote:

Are you HikerMom? Sorry. My spider senses are going off. Forgive my ignorance if I am way off. Stick around and you will see that this represents one of my saner posts.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.