Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned Introduce Yourself

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Re: Introduce Yourself

BirdBrain wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

Hi, I would like to introduce myself. I am hiker58, and no that is not my age...lol I've been interested in hiking this trail eversince I knew it existed 2008. A lot of unexpected barriers have been overcome and I think I'm just about ready to get started. I'd like to do the thru' hike. I am just not sure if I want to start in the north or south... :S

Are you HikerMom? Sorry. MY spider senses are going off. Forgive my ignorance if I am way off. Stick around and you will see that this represents one of my saner posts.

No. HM isn't here anymore.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Introduce Yourself

BirdBrain wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

Hi, I would like to introduce myself. I am hiker58, and no that is not my age...lol I've been interested in hiking this trail eversince I knew it existed 2008. A lot of unexpected barriers have been overcome and I think I'm just about ready to get started. I'd like to do the thru' hike. I am just not sure if I want to start in the north or south... :S

Are you HikerMom? Sorry. My spider senses are going off. Forgive my ignorance if I am way off. Stick around and you will see that this represents one of my saner posts.
      this can go one of any 16 ways, none of which I can see coming.

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

Are you HikerMom? Sorry. MY spider senses are going off. Forgive my ignorance if I am way off. Stick around and you will see that this represents one of my saner posts.

Doing what I do best (saying what is on my mind and ignoring my 2 minute delay button).
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

Doing what I do best (saying what is on my mind and ignoring my 2 minute delay button).
      hey I wanna a delay button!

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

Trust me, it is useless. It malfunctions all the time. Good people forgive me though. I mean well, but say stupid things. Good people see that. Bad people swim in swamps.
    • Introduce Yourself

No, BirdBrain, I am a beginner hiker, and a mom, but not HikerMom. Nice name, didn't feel quite right callin ya that ! I do plan to stick around. I don't really know any ppl that can or would even think of taking a 2100 mile walk, hope to get to know some here. Sanity is not as important to some as to others...pls define normal....lol
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Introduce Yourself

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

I'm working on it
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Introduce Yourself

hiker58 wrote:

No, BirdBrain, I am a beginner hiker, and a mom, but not HikerMom. Nice name, didn't feel quite right callin ya that ! I do plan to stick around. I don't really know any ppl that can or would even think of taking a 2100 mile walk, hope to get to know some here. Sanity is not as important to some as to others...pls define normal....lol

Normal = My wife
      Abnormal = Rest of the world
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Introduce Yourself

Rasty wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

I'm working on it
      :lol: gif.004 well played.

and for my spooky personal touch

I so rarely get to use it, hehehe

oh that was Brilliant, love ya man.
    • Introduce Yourself

hiker58 wrote:

Welcome aboard.
    • Introduce Yourself

BirdBrain wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

Welcome aboard. I friend all the women (some of the guys are weird). :whistle:
      He's right, I didn't start befriending women till a couple years ago...after which time I told a sexist pig type joke. Now I just don't go to that forum, blew up my welcome there.
    • Introduce Yourself

hiker58 wrote:

Okay... here is my first bit of advice. Start in the south. Most do that. The south is easier (so I'm told). Maine is a hard (so I'm told). I live in Maine. The vast majority of my hiking has been done in Maine. But from all I have heard, NoBo is the way to go. I am going SoBo.
    • Introduce Yourself

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

He's right, I didn't start befriending women till a couple years ago...after which time I told a sexist pig type joke. Now I just don't go to that forum, blew up my welcome there.

Hey! I edited my post so as not to offend the weird people. And on a related note, I found the post offensive.... so I edited it.
    • Introduce Yourself

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

Is this a sexist joke? My husband had it last weekend ...
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • Introduce Yourself

moose717 wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

I see nothing sexist in stating facts. We are designed differently. Some people are offended by stating those design differences. It is not our fault that we are wimps.
    • Introduce Yourself

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

Hey! I edited my post so as not to offend the weird people. And on a related note, I found the post offensive.... so I edited it.
      Ah man, you need to join the group I joined.

it's called POOP 46.gif the Coilition of People Offending Offensive People, I fit right in.

PS I didn't find it offensive, but then you have to know me...and you do. :) I don't get offended easy, i'm usually the one doing the offensive thing, you'll know because I'll have my foot in my mouth.
    • Introduce Yourself

moose717 wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

That's funny, and so true.

...Honey! where's my balls.
      O' dear, you lost those right after we met, don't you remember.
      ...oh yeah, now I remember.
      No you don't, you only remember what I tell.

...yes dear.
    • Introduce Yourself

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I think I scared her off.
      Wait a sec.
      It must be someone else's fault.
      RS, you loser.
      Naw, her boss just probably came in the room and she had to get back to work...use to happen to Train Wreck all the time, hehe....I'm likin retirement.

Happens to me ALL THE TIME! This is a slow time of year ...
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • Introduce Yourself

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Wait a sec.
      RS, you loser.
      Naw, her boss just probably came in the room and she had to get back to work...use to happen to Train Wreck all the time, hehe....I'm likin retirement.

How can you retire? Are you rich? Can I move in?
    • Introduce Yourself

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Wait a sec.
      RS, you loser.

Naw, I just retired from one job...now I gotta go get anothe...quickly too, lest things get ugly.
      which proportionally effects my ability to hike with out hobblin. and gravelin.
    • Introduce Yourself

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Wait a sec.
      RS, you loser.

Naw, I just retired from one job...now I gotta go get anothe...quickly too, lest things get ugly.
      which proportionally effects my ability to hike with out hobblin. and gravelin.

You just need a little more training from me. I do not grovel at all. I just recognize the ways my wife is superior and point them out often. She in turn shows her appreciation. It is not a calculation on my part or hers. It is based in fact. Any false pretense would be eventually discovered and lead to collapse. The best way to a good relationship is to never defend your "rights" as an individual. I do not believe I have any unique, separate, or autonomous rights that preclude our union. Well, at least that works for me.

Ouch! Serious posts hurt my head more that the multiple concussions I have had.
    • Introduce Yourself

rocksNsocks wrote:

moose717 wrote:

Happy Birthday RS ... may you have many more! gif.004
      Thank Moose. 51 tomorrow. I'm lookin to finish the second half of my century with a big finish...culminating in my demise at some point, just gotta get through tonight :lol:

You are still a young man!
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Introduce Yourself

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Wait a sec.
      RS, you loser.

which proportionally effects my ability to hike with out hobblin. and grovelin.
      grovel, fix it :)

You just need a little more training from me. I do not grovel at all. I just recognize the ways my wife is superior and point them out often. She in turn shows her appreciation. It is not a calculation on my part or hers. It is based in fact. Any false pretense would be eventually discovered and lead to collapse. The best way to a good relationship is to never defend your "rights" as an individual. I do not believe I have any unique, separate, or autonomous rights that preclude our union. Well, at least that works for me.

Ouch! Serious posts hurt my head more that the multiple concussions I have had.
      Truth!...very nice said, so much better when we don't practice to deceive, life runs much smoother I find...right on Bird Brain.

I like what John Wayne said in a movie...I hate to apologize. Now that is/was to say, I don't mind apologizing for something I did, but if I live my life right in the first place, I won't ever have to...it always stuck with me, I struggle to adhere...but I try..
    • Introduce Yourself

Astro wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

moose717 wrote:

Happy Birthday RS ... may you have many more! gif.004
      Thank Moose. 51 tomorrow. I'm lookin to finish the second half of my century with a big finish...culminating in my demise at some point, just gotta get through tonight :lol:

You are still a young man!
      In my mind yes, but the body is shot, literally, fallin apart at the seams. Still I'm doin better than many, so I really should not complain.
    • Introduce Yourself

Well Astro- sorry for the mix up-

When choosing to spend time online or in the company of swingers I've found you just have to accept that you're occasionally going to end up in an awkward situation with another dude.

Happy B-day socks! Life in the trades will beat you down, glad you're out. The carpenters here have a saying- "30 years in and your out, 5 years out and you're in the ground." Stay active my friend!
    • Introduce Yourself

hiker58 wrote:

do you like trail angels and magic? i don't gif.005
    • Re:Introduce Yourself

AnotherKevin wrote:

LostAndFound wrote:

you guys are a hoot, thank you all for the welcome.

curious who's from the Northern NJ, SW NY, western CT area?

I live in Niskayuna, NY (between Albany and Schenectady) and do occasional weekends in the Catskills (making slow progress toward the 35: I think I'm up to 16 summer and 3 winter). If you can tolerate hiking with a snail - I'm SLOW - I'd love to have someone to go out with. March is dodgy because the weather can be anything from full-on blizzard to 80 degree summer day, but if Mother Nature cooperates, I'd be game for a day trip or overnighter. I can go just about anywhere in the Cats if you give me lots of time to get there.

Any place you're particularly interested in going? If the weather allows, I'd like to try for Blackhead while the calendar says it's still winter. I don't want to do it in heavy ice - my ice-axe-and-crampon skills aren't current - but if it's approachable with microspikes or snowshoes, that'd be great.

Would love to do something just not sure I'll be able to. I'm in NW PA for a couple weeks and then to nt/ct/Nj area for a few days, into the Catskills around mar 7th for the devils path, than back to PA and off to Atlanta on the 24th to start my thru. Could possibly extend the end of my DP trip to do something else. Open to suggestions and happy to modify plans if possible

LoboSolo wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

I like the David Blain kind of magic.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Introduce Yourself

LoboSolo wrote:

hiker58 wrote:

I like real trail magic. When out of water one summer I came across an old spring house. One time when out of food and still several hours from a road crossing I found two apples sitting on the trail. No apple trees anywhere around that I could see. Seemed like magic to me.