Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned Introduce Yourself

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'm a surveyor and I'm running like crazy trying to keep up right now. Had every intention of taking a week off and spending it on the FT, but that's not looking too good right now. The one I REALLY want to do is leave from Oconee SP on the FT then split off on the Bartram and take it to the AT near Wayah Bald. Pipe dream right now though.

<Edit> Cheoah, not Wayah, is the terminus.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Foresight ().

• Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I think many people try either mediocre commercially made guacamole or unsalted and/or unripe avocados and it ruined the whole avocado experience for them.

It would be like only experiencing precooked bacon which is really a poor substitute for bacon but will suffice in survival conditions.
      I refuse to buy guacamole from a store, yuck.
      I mostly buy frozen avocado halves for the restaurants I've worked at for guacamole. Fresh for everything else.
      Why do you work for guacamole? Isn't money more useful? :D
    • LIhikers wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I think many people try either mediocre commercially made guacamole or unsalted and/or unripe avocados and it ruined the whole avocado experience for them.

It would be like only experiencing precooked bacon which is really a poor substitute for bacon but will suffice in survival conditions.
      I mostly buy frozen avocado halves for the restaurants I've worked at for guacamole. Fresh for everything else.
      I'd rather work for guacamole than peanuts. ;)
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I'd rather work for guacamole than peanuts. ;)
      Elephant trumpeting sound goes here... :P
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Foresight wrote:

I'm a surveyor and I'm running like crazy trying to keep up right now. Had every intention of taking a week off and spending it on the FT, but that's not looking too good right now. The one I REALLY want to do is leave from Oconee SP on the FT then split off on the Bartram and take it to the AT near Wayah Bald. Pipe dream right now though.

Last year I met a guy that started at Table Rock, then Bartram to the AT. We were going towards Tr and met him on his second day out. He said he lost his spoon so he couldn't eat .. ?( . He asked if I had one, which I didn't. I was going stove less. I told him to wittle a stick and he gave me a weird look, so I kept hiking.

We loved the FT. Planning on doing it again in the spring. Didn't care for the wet, slick steps though. .... I think we're kayaking there this Oct....
    • Dmax wrote:

Foresight wrote:

I'm a surveyor and I'm running like crazy trying to keep up right now. Had every intention of taking a week off and spending it on the FT, but that's not looking too good right now. The one I REALLY want to do is leave from Oconee SP on the FT then split off on the Bartram and take it to the AT near Wayah Bald. Pipe dream right now though.

Last year I met a guy that started at Table Rock, then Bartram to the AT. We were going towards Tr and met him on his second day out. He said he lost his spoon so he couldn't eat .. ?( . He asked if I had one, which I didn't. I was going stove less. I told him to wittle a stick and he gave me a weird look, so I kept hiking.
      We loved the FT. Planning on doing it again in the spring. Didn't care for the wet, slick steps though. .... I think we're kayaking there this Oct....
      When you say FT are you referring to the Foothills, Florida, or Fing trail? If it's Foothills that's a favorite of mine.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Dmax wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Evidently doesn't understand how to improvise.
      --
    • Foresight wrote:

Foothills.

Dmax, if you're ever wanting to kayak in this area and need to borrow a yak feel free to holler at me. I have 2 jacksons, a coosa and a cuda 12, that I would gladly let you use to keep from having to leave someone out.
      I'm planning to do it again this year when the weather cools, maybe Nov or Dec...did it in Dec last time, weather was great.
    • I'm going to Indiana for a week in November and Arkansas for a week in January, but I'm hoping to sneak away for a few days in December and spend some time on it. Let me know when in November and if i'm around and can help you out with a ride or just meet up one day I will.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Foresight wrote:

We loved the FT. Planning on doing it again in the spring. Didn't care for the wet, slick steps though. .... I think we're kayaking there this Oct...

Sounds like you might know the lake pretty good. I'll ask some questions in another thread.
    • Dmax wrote:

Foresight wrote:

We loved the FT. Planning on doing it again in the spring. Didn't care for the wet, slick steps though. .... I think we're kayaking there this Oct...

Sounds like you might know the lake pretty good. I'll ask some questions in another thread.
      I busted my posterior and bent a pole bouncing down a set of stairs coming off one of those suspension bridges...my pride has yet to recover.
    • Foresight wrote:

I'm going to Indiana for a week in November and Arkansas for a week in January, but I'm hoping to sneak away for a few days in December and spend some time on it. Let me know when in November and if i'm around and can help you out with a ride or just meet up one day I will.
      Are you hiking in AR in January? If so the Ouachita Trail or Ozark Highland Trail?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Hi gang, thought I'd say hello. I've been lurking here and there, haven't lost the thread entirely.

Lots of biking and hiking this summer. Wapac Trail, Monadnock-Sunapee Trail, and finally finished the Long Trail with a thirty mile slog (at one mile per hour) to Canada. Plus the mandatory more or less annual Franconia Ridge loop (day hike.) Plus about 500 miles on my bike. Monadnock is usually a pushover but it was nasty and WILD the day we went over it in mid-June.

A couple of those hikes I did with SloGo'en from TOS. He's a good guy. I hung out and dug waterbars and schlepped rocks (large and small) with Lou down by RPH shelter back in July.

SloGo'en and Hikerboy are talking about walks in Maine in September and I may join one or the other of these expeditions. If I do the Hundred-Mile stretch it'll be my third time. I've been following LDog's sobo section hike, looks like he'll be finishing in Harpers Ferry in a week or so and he'll then be a 2000 miler -- Woo Hoo!

Been posting a bit on TOS as of a few days ago and you can always find me on facebook, on Ms. Bliss' AT forum or on the ALDHA site or just as me (raphael bustin, aka terrapin)

We had lots of rain and muddy trail on a couple of these hikes and it's caused me to reconsider the wisdom of trail runners. Anyone else been dealing with that? I mean, it was wet enough that the shoes stayed soaked for two or three days at a time. Yuck.
    • rafe wrote:

Hi gang, thought I'd say hello. I've been lurking here and there, haven't lost the thread entirely.

Lots of biking and hiking this summer. Wapac Trail, Monadnock-Sunapee Trail, and finally finished the Long Trail with a thirty mile slog (at one mile per hour) to Canada. Plus the mandatory more or less annual Franconia Ridge loop (day hike.) Plus about 500 miles on my bike. Monadnock is usually a pushover but it was nasty and WILD the day we went over it in mid-June.

A couple of those hikes I did with SloGo'en from TOS. He's a good guy. I hung out and dug waterbars and schlepped rocks (large and small) with Lou down by RPH shelter back in July.

SloGo'en and Hikerboy are talking about walks in Maine in September and I may join one or the other of these expeditions. If I do the Hundred-Mile stretch it'll be my third time. I've been following LDog's sobo section hike, looks like he'll be finishing in Harpers Ferry in a week or so and he'll then be a 2000 miler -- Woo Hoo!

Been posting a bit on TOS as of a few days ago and you can always find me on facebook, on Ms. Bliss' AT forum or on the ALDHA site or just as me (raphael bustin, aka terrapin)

We had lots of rain and muddy trail on a couple of these hikes and it's caused me to reconsider the wisdom of trail runners. Anyone else been dealing with that? I mean, it was wet enough that the shoes stayed soaked for two or three days at a time. Yuck.
      was wondering what happen to LDog, didn't realize he was hiking.
    • rafe wrote:

Hi gang, thought I'd say hello. I've been lurking here and there, haven't lost the thread entirely.

well they'd still be lighter than "waterproof" shoes or boots that dont dry at all.
      its all good
    • rafe wrote:

........We had lots of rain and muddy trail on a couple of these hikes and it's caused me to reconsider the wisdom of trail runners. Anyone else been dealing with that? I mean, it was wet enough that the shoes stayed soaked for two or three days at a time. Yuck.
      If it's raining that much any shoes gets wet. Shoes that claim to be waterproof only delay the wetting out process by a couple of hours but stay wet for days and days. I used to wear Vasque Clarion boots and once they got wet through and through it took many days for them to dry out, once the rain stopped.

Sorry I missed you and Coach at the RPH Cabin this year. I got my weekends confused
    • rafe wrote:

Yep, SloGo'en is a ham operator and designer of miniaturized ham radios that fit into an Altoid tin. kd1jv.qrpradio.com/
      All reet.

I have a license to. I recently learned there is APRS all the way up the AT. Arrl.org puts out a book for 2 meter band radios. Maybe not the entire length, but the book lists all 2m/70cm repeaters within 20 miles of the trail.

20m and 70 cm refer to ham radio bands available to all amateur license holders, line of site connection.
      --
    • Fall's here, which means thinking about (pining for?) next year's adventures (Fall is booked solid with less fun things :thumbdown: ). Thought I'd join up here and keep the planning going and excitement high.

I'm mostly an orienteerer and trail runner, but my girls will soon be old enough to join me on the trail. So, a different pace and set of missions are important to continue fostering their budding outdoorsy selves, while maintaining a high level of fun for all.

I love what I've read so far! Good topics, good diversions, good crew. I look forward to learning and contributing.
    • LIhikers wrote:

HamSandwich wrote:

orienteerer
      I've done some orienteering, but not much.It sharpens your map reading skills while on the run (or in my case, a slow jog)
      Welcome to the café !
      Thanks!

Indeed, orienteering builds navigational and in-woods movement skills and (probably more importantly) confidence. It's a fun game, too ... the balance between running fast(ish) and navigating well is a life long dance.

The downside with the 'sport' side of orienteering (where I squarely fall) is I often miss the forest for the game. This is a challenge for me when trail running and even hiking: I'm a mile chewer.