Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Random ramblings

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Random ramblings

My honest question is, how's life? Are you as happy on Mondays as you are on Fridays? Are you at peace? Completely free to shed disguises around those with whom you spend the most time? If so, that's all anyone could wish for. Congrats.

I've become a helluva lot more relaxed and, honestly, learned what I really need to be happy and comfortable. Very little, actually. A one room bunkhouse in the mountains with a bathhouse 10 yards away. Relationships. Time with those I love. Music. Freedom to be myself. My dogs. A creative outlet of which I have found in my writing. Frequent laughter. Quiet moments with only my own thoughts to pierce a mindful silence. Meaningful conversation. Nature untouched. And of course, beer. ;) I no longer need to go to the gym 6 days per week. Though my size remains the same and, inherently, I am still quite active, I can allow myself a few soft spots and it feels good. It feels real. Nor do I have to make 40 grand a year and cry every morning on the way to work. I don't have to be perfect. Mishaps are part of everyone's journey though some cause more pain than others.

I remember sitting at our table last spring, and I recall you telling me that a thru-hike would change who I am. You were right. It did.
      https://appalachiantrailclarity.com/2016/01/04/2100-mile-journal-lessons-of-clarity/
      I also remember your slivers of doubt that I could actually do the whole thing. Thanks. You have no idea how often your disbelief motivated me toward the end when I was ready to capitulate. ;)

Life is good. Life isn't predictable. It's not a string of flat paths, but one of ups and downs...a loopy roller coaster ride or twisty, knee-dragging mountain road. A walk across mountain tops and through valleys, sometimes for myriad miles and many months on end. At times life is an angry river following a monsoon and other times it's a trickling brook. Take the risks you need to take to find what makes you smile as wide on Mondays as you do on Fridays.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.

The post was edited 1 time, last by twistwrist ().

• I know what you mean. I live in a trailer smaller than most people's bedroom. When I do finally get around to building my cabin it won't be much bigger. I work enough to get by. I have never made so little in my life, yet I am the happiest.

Then today my boss calls & asks me to run his store for him. He's willing to work with me, & asked me to think it over. Hard to say no to him, but not sure I am ready to live in town.
    • Yes and no..........
      Most days I'm a happy guy.
      I have a job doing work that I love and a family that I care for dearly.
      My only regret is that I don't have more free time.
      But that's OK because my last job, that lasted for 19 years, I had more free time than you could shake a stick at and I still got paid for 40 hours a week even though I was there less than 20.
      The only "hitch" is that I spend 3 to 4 hours a day, 4 days a week, commuting in the car.
    • Recently while talking with an acquaintance, the subject of 'contentment' was broached. She's a mother of three, married for a number of years, a contributing member of her church, a local political figure, and yet expressed a streak of malcontent within her life.

Her conclusion is she's experiencing depression.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Recently while talking with an acquaintance, the subject of 'contentment' was broached. She's a mother of three, married for a number of years, a contributing member of her church, a local political figure, and yet expressed a streak of malcontent within her life.

It sounds like she has devoted her entire life to serving others and doesn't do anything that's just for her.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I know what you mean. I live in a trailer smaller than most people's bedroom. When I do finally get around to building my cabin it won't be much bigger. I work enough to get by. I have never made so little in my life, yet I am the happiest.

Then today my boss calls & asks me to run his store for him. He's willing to work with me, & asked me to think it over. Hard to say no to him, but not sure I am ready to live in town.
      Tough decision.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Recently while talking with an acquaintance, the subject of 'contentment' was broached. She's a mother of three, married for a number of years, a contributing member of her church, a local political figure, and yet expressed a streak of malcontent within her life.

It sounds like she has devoted her entire life to serving others and doesn't do anything that's just for her.
      Now there's some practical wisdom.
      Sounds like your acquaintance needs to have a sit down with TJ.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I know what you mean. I live in a trailer smaller than most people's bedroom. When I do finally get around to building my cabin it won't be much bigger. I work enough to get by. I have never made so little in my life, yet I am the happiest.

Tough decision.
      I am going to take over untill we can find a suitable replacement. I'll do 4 days at store & return to Fort for other 3. Probably sleep on or around loading dock. Just have to remember it's not ok to be looking at the stars when I need to pee in the middle of the night! :rolleyes:
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Tough decision.
      I am going to take over untill we can find a suitable replacement. I'll do 4 days at store & return to Fort for other 3. Probably sleep on or around loading dock. Just have to remember it's not ok to be looking at the stars when I need to pee in the middle of the night! :rolleyes:
      You realize that you won't be able to pee outside anymore, right? :D
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Tough decision.
      You realize that you won't be able to pee outside anymore, right? :D
      No. I just can't get caught doing it!
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

reminds me of the movie Jerimiah Johnson where Del Que says " maybe you outta go down to a town" and Johnson replies "I been to a town"...
    • mental note wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

reminds me of the movie Jerimiah Johnson where Del Que says " maybe you outta go down to a town" and Johnson replies "I been to a town"...
      It's about the way I feel. Have to trade waking up by habit? predawn & listening to the birds wake up & watch the sun rise. I really can't explain what I'm giving up. Only going to be short term!!!
    • That was actually a journal entry I wrote to my high school sweetheart, ex-hubby...not to be sent, just to be vented.

Life's so weird. I'm coming up on the end of my ATC gig and have no idea where to go next...work at the Hiker Hostel for $1000 month and barely break even? Find a "big girl" job again with benefits? Ugh. I haven't felt trapped like this in over a year. I do know it's going to be alright. Things always unwind themselves the way they should with or without my incessant worry.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

That was actually a journal entry I wrote to my high school sweetheart, ex-hubby...not to be sent, just to be vented.

Life's so weird. I'm coming up on the end of my ATC gig and have no idea where to go next...work at the Hiker Hostel for $1000 month and barely break even? Find a "big girl" job again with benefits? Ugh. I haven't felt trapped like this in over a year. I do know it's going to be alright. Things always unwind themselves the way they should with or without my incessant worry.
      Check out coolworks.com/ Might find something that suits you.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

That was actually a journal entry I wrote to my high school sweetheart, ex-hubby...not to be sent, just to be vented.

Check out coolworks.com/ Might find something that suits you.
      That Buddhist retreat center looked interesting.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • mental note wrote:

Just go hiking again, start a go fund me page and split, the trail provides.
      I wish I had the guts to use Go Fund me. My pride or whatever won't let me. Unless I'm about to starve due to lack of money, I don't think I could do it.

• twistwrist wrote:

mental note wrote:

I wish I had the guts to use Go Fund me. My pride or whatever won't let me. Unless I'm about to starve due to lack of money, I don't think I could do it.
      Nor me, but seriously earn some dough then go hiking. I'm starting to think more and more that those that have said, (LW) "it's a life style" we're right. You have to change your priorities, take "part time" work along the way of a perpetual hike...or, do like most, work, hike the weekends or sections and just hike when ya can, don't place so much emphasis on it, just be, ya know.
    • twistwrist wrote:

mental note wrote:

I for one (and suspect others on this site) would contribute to a known entity wanting to fund another thru, AT or otherwise.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

mental note wrote:

I for one (and suspect others on this site) would contribute to a known entity wanting to fund another thru, AT or otherwise.
      When I started planning my PCT hike some friends I helped organize races with took note & helped me out. Hiking numbers were smaller then, but having done the AT already I got sposorship from Thorlo & Technica in free gear. I got 2 dozen pairs of free socks, I switched them out so often I had a waiting list of hikers that wanted my used ones! Technica gave me three pairs of thier new line of boots to try. I did find a flaw in one, same as other tester that changed the next years design. It helped having friends buying from these companies & I was an estabished hiker on my second long hike. But that was 20 years ago. Some can stilll pull it off these days if you have a social media campagian.
    • That said Clarity has that going for her with her blogs & Working as a ridge runner. Blogging, using their gear/food could reduce cost of your next hike like it did mine. Life is made up of choices. I chose to live my dreams as opposed to settling down & raising a family. Each has there merits. I can't compare my life to those who raisd a family. I know little of the sacafices & rewards of it other than a brief stint as a step dad, Each has it merits & drawbacks.

You started out with is monday as good as friday. That's not enough for me anymore. Each & every day should be great. Granted things beyond my control will often make it not possible, but what is in my control I will change to make it happen.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Ugh. I haven't felt trapped like this in over a year. I do know it's going to be alright. Things always unwind themselves the way they should with or without my incessant worry.
      I've felt "trapped" at times too, in life.
      Almost nothing in life is permanent, you can change most anything by taking positive action.....again and again and again until we find ourself in a good situation.
      Good luck :thumbup:
    • Well my boss saved me. He pickd me up a few days early to load the rig since he was going through my way. He asked if I consider his offer & I said I did & woud work it. He said "I wouldn't if I was you. give up what you have..." Repacement started traing today. He knows he has me if he needs me so he is good. The show he dropped I have replaced working for a girl that was on "Shark Tank" She used to be a bar girl I took care of. Now she will be the boss. She looks & sounds like the typical "Dumb Blonde" but has developed a golf caddy agancy & models to work shows nationwide. Haved a choice to tend bar or back it. I prefer to work behind the curtian. When I first worked with this girl I was the one that had the things they needed as I came around like sunscreen & bug reppelant.

Best part is it's hiker slack time at the Fort & I can possibly hike with Astro, if not I can always visit Dad & he always has a project to work on at his cabin
    • mental note wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

yup. I remember when there were no cell phones. Crickey I'm old. Nor color TV programs.
      my kids do not remember tv that doesn't rewind
      My kid doesn't know what a TV is. :thumbup:
      way back when...channel surfing was an arobic exercise that usually involved a squat, one get-up,and 6 steps to the TV an direction from a large adult.
      And there were three channels.....on a good day.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

mental note wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

yup. I remember when there were no cell phones. Crickey I'm old. Nor color TV programs.
      way back when...channel surfing was an arobic exercise that usually involved a squat, one get-up,and 6 steps to the TV an direction from a large adult.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Drybones wrote:

mental note wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Yup. We only had 3 tv channels back then. One came in good only if there was a thunderstorm between us and that station. One radio station.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • mental note wrote:

Ya know with all these threads I see HB's face...it's like he never left.

LIhikers wrote:

Actually I wish he hadn't left.
      I appreciated someone with a different point of view because it made me think outside my self constructed box.
      Same here. Hikerboy was a valuable asset to our cafe community.

By the way, I remember days before cell phones when phones were rotary dial with loopy cords. I remember when portable house phones were the big thing. I remember days of Atari and Cassette tapes...and having to rewind rental VHS tapes or facing a small fine.