Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

North Carolina AT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• North Carolina AT

Hello everyone,
      A friend and I are planning on hiking the North Carolina portion of the AT in July. He lives in NC, and I’ll be flying down from Canada. From what I understand the trail is 97 miles and camping permits are not required. It’d be nice to see some of the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, but it would the rules for sleeping in designated shelters unless the shelter is full seems a little more strict than I’d like. That said, the NC portion was our priority anyway.

One of the things that has been on my mind is that we are only planning on being on the trail for 5 days, which is quite a number of miles per day. The furthest I’ve walked was 62 miles and that took me about 36 hours. The thing is, that hike was within Ontario, which doesn’t really have any mountains. So obviously a worry is that we won’t be able to walk the whole thing within our timeframe. That said, we both recognize that if it isn’t in the cards, then it’s not in the cards. We are ok with walking as far as we can and then organizing a shuttle.

My question for you guys is:

1. What you guys think of our current plan of starting at the NC/TN border, walking south to GA, then taking a shuttle back to the car. I’ve heard that it might be smarter to park, then take a shuttle, and walk back to the car, but if we don’t make it the whole way, then we would have to organize and pay for more rides.

2. What do you think would make a suitable start point where we could park, and where should we plan to stop?

Thanks! You guys have quite an awesome community going on here. Glad I found it :)
    • better double check on the GSMNP permit situation. You do need a permit. If you are a long distance AT hiker, you don't need to designate which shelters you will be at, but you are required to stay in a shelter on the AT. If the shelter is full you can camp next to the shelter. But if you don't qualify as a long distance hiker you must designate which shelter you will be at and don't have the option of camping next to rhe shelter. I'm not sure if your plan will qualify you as a long distance hiker. Not sure where the "NC/TN" border is. The trail follows the border and crosses the border several times.

20 mpd seems ambitious. I know I could not do that from a cold start, especially in big mountains. How about spotting your car at a hostel that does shuttles. If you don't make it back on time they can come get you. If you get there two soon, you could slc pack a day or two.
    • whats your definiton of the NC/TN border? once you are in the park the trail in many places is right on the NC/TN border. you literally could have your feet in different states. once you are out of the park then you are in just NC for a while before you enter into TN.

since you don't want to hike in the GSMNP, you could start at fontana dam - which is just outside the parks border - where it is 88 miles to the GA/NC border. since there is no road there, you would want to continue another 9 miles to dicks creek gap in ga. wait a minute - is this the 97 mile stretch you were referring to?

it makes sense to determine your hike and get the shuttle on day 1 and hike toward your car. avoids potential problems on the back end. however, if you honestly do not know how far you are going to hike, then yes, i guess i'd agree that getting a shuttle at the end makes sense.

if you were to hike from fontana dam to dicks creek, you can leave a car at either location. additionally, there is a hostel 1/2 mile from dicks creek where you could pay a modest fee to leave your car. top of georgia hostel.

i don't know you so i'm not going to tell you how far you can hike. while 97 miles out of the gate in 5 days is certainly possible, most hikers do not do that type of mileage in the southern appalacians.

edit to add: you will want to get a copy of "the companion" or "awol guide" to help plan your trip if you do not have it already.
      2,000 miler
    • Welcome to the cafe, ontariogeardo. I'm glad you found us.

First, I just arbitrarily made a new Cafe Rule.

Cafe Rule #2 - (#1 is No Politics). If you ask for advice, you must come back and tell us how your trip went. :D
      I'm just kidding...but seriously, we love post-trip reports, even if the hike was a total flop.

Shuttles: it's a lot less stressful to hike back to your car than to try to be at the right place at the right time.

You will need to hike about 20 mi per day. For some people that's doable but for others it's unrealistic. May I ask your age range and fitness level?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I'm not the AT expert but I suggest you look at the area between Erwin, TN and 19 E (Elk Park NC)... it's awesome hiking and views. I think it's about 50 miles so you can take your time and enjoy it or add some miles on either end if you want.

Are you used to heat and humidity? It can take a toll and really slow you down.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Grinder wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

If you ask for advice, you must come back and tell us how your trip went.
      Hey, give Geardo a break. It's only been 44 minutes. :P PooFan
      I pretty much stalked Wax Queen until she came back and gave us a trip report. :evil: I get interested in people's hikes then they don't ever tell us how it went. So...just wanted to put it out there. :)
      Concur

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Thanks so much for everyone’s input! I really appreciate you guys taking the time with the new guy :)

The 97 miles I am referring to came from this site: appalachiantrail.org/home/expl…e-by-state/north-carolina

Now I see that it’s actually 95.7 miles haha. Anyway, the tough part is that it isn’t really easy for me to find out what exactly what their definition of that 95.7 is. My buddy is a pretty ambitious guy, and we both like a good challenge. We both like the idea of being able to walk it all, but at the same time, no biggie if we don’t. It’s just a matter of logistics I figure. It’s one thing to make plans to just walk as far as we can and then get picked up, but I know that on some parts of the trail, it’s just not possible to get a shuttle out. I just want to make sure we have reasonable contingencies.

I think that starting at the Fontana Dam to Dick’s Creek looks great! 88 miles is still a very long hike which is what we are looking for. I’ll definitely propose that to my hiking buddy. As well, thanks for the recommendations of The Companion and AWOL Guide, max.patch!

I will most definitely come back to tell you guys all about it. I have a modest blog that I sometimes post to as well, that I’ll make sure to post as many pictures and stories that I can on top of posting here!

In terms of fitness and age, we are both 35. My traveling partner is a former US Army Ranger, and I’m just a general outdoors enthusiast. I don’t hike every weekend, but I would like to think that I am of above average fitness. I work out twice a week, and cycle about 100km a week. Nothing over the top, but we are not couch potatoes.

My buddy is probably used to the heat as he lives in NC. I live in Toronto, which gets pretty hot and humid, but I know down in NC it’s going to be a whole different ball game.
    • ontariogeardo wrote:

Thanks so much for everyone’s input! I really appreciate you guys taking the time with the new guy :)

The 97 miles I am referring to came from this site: appalachiantrail.org/home/expl…e-by-state/north-carolina

Now I see that it’s actually 95.7 miles haha. Anyway, the tough part is that it isn’t really easy for me to find out what exactly what their definition of that 95.7 is. My buddy is a pretty ambitious guy, and we both like a good challenge. We both like the idea of being able to walk it all, but at the same time, no biggie if we don’t. It’s just a matter of logistics I figure. It’s one thing to make plans to just walk as far as we can and then get picked up, but I know that on some parts of the trail, it’s just not possible to get a shuttle out. I just want to make sure we have reasonable contingencies.

I think that starting at the Fontana Dam to Dick’s Creek looks great! 88 miles is still a very long hike which is what we are looking for. I’ll definitely propose that to my hiking buddy. As well, thanks for the recommendations of The Companion and AWOL Guide, max.patch!

I will most definitely come back to tell you guys all about it. I have a modest blog that I sometimes post to as well, that I’ll make sure to post as many pictures and stories that I can on top of posting here!

In terms of fitness and age, we are both 35. My traveling partner is a former US Army Ranger, and I’m just a general outdoors enthusiast. I don’t hike every weekend, but I would like to think that I am of above average fitness. I work out twice a week, and cycle about 100km a week. Nothing over the top, but we are not couch potatoes.

My buddy is probably used to the heat as he lives in NC. I live in Toronto, which gets pretty hot and humid, but I know down in NC it’s going to be a whole different ball game.
      July in North Carolina is really really really hot. Did I mention it's hot?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

ontariogeardo wrote:

Thanks so much for everyone’s input! I really appreciate you guys taking the time with the new guy :)

I thought it was mild compared to Houston. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

ontariogeardo wrote:

People go outdoors in Houston?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

ontariogeardo wrote:

i'll be in tucson shortly. i think it has ya both beat.
      2,000 miler
    • Welcome Ontario!
      I'm all about the train of thought you should enjoy your journey, not rush to meet a destination or deadline out there. Twenty miles per day is quite ambitious and really means you leave little time to stop and enjoy the moment, the views, the camping, the camaraderie, or the solitude. The sound of silence from the top of a mountain is magically beautiful. The smell of spring wildflowers is a scent that is worth not blowing past. The feel of the earth below your feet is a reminder to be present, something we all so quickly forget in society's rush.
      That said, goals are cool and fun to achieve. Relishing the moment, finding zen in the present are gifts the trail will provide if you slow down long enough to allow it.
      Lots of good info here to get you started. appalachiantrailclarity.com/at-for-newbies/ .
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

ontariogeardo wrote:

Air Conditioning did wonders for their population growth.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • twistwrist wrote:

Welcome Ontario!
      I'm all about the train of thought you should enjoy your journey, not rush to meet a destination or deadline out there. Twenty miles per day is quite ambitious and really means you leave little time to stop and enjoy the moment, the views, the camping, the camaraderie, or the solitude. The sound of silence from the top of a mountain is magically beautiful. The smell of spring wildflowers is a scent that is worth not blowing past. The feel of the earth below your feet is a reminder to be present, something we all so quickly forget in society's rush.
      That said, goals are cool and fun to achieve. Relishing the moment, finding zen in the present are gifts the trail will provide if you slow down long enough to allow it.
      Lots of good info here to get you started. appalachiantrailclarity.com/at-for-newbies/ .
      I agree that there is definitely a time and place for everything. Doing this trip is actually about balance for me, in that I’m doing something different than what I usually do when I go camping. 90% of the time, I am off-trail bushwacking less than 10km to a campsite, and then staying there for a few days. While I’m there I’m swimming, sitting around the fire with friends, soaking up the sun, and enjoying the company of our animal neighbours. Those trips are how I disconnect from the big city that I live in, and it’s a great way to chill and to reset. Those kind of trips, which I am lucky to participate in fairly regularly, is my time to slow down and to relish in the moment.

Most of the time, I hike and camp with people that are of less or similar physical condition. For this upcoming trip to the AT, I’ll be stepping outside of my comfort zone to do something a bit different. I will be traveling with a buddy who is significantly more fit than I am, which will be pretty different for me. The last time I went on an adventure with him, I was pushed well beyond a point that I thought was even possible. It’s hard to put that into words without it sounding cheesy, but it changed my life and my outlook on self-confidence and what I look at as realistic.

So when he proposed that we hike the entire North Carolina portion of the AT, my initial thought was that it was impossible. But without making this post an essay, the SECOND time he proposed I do something that I do something I thought was impossible or unlikely, I accomplished my goal and promised myself that if he thought I could do it, I’d give it my best shot. Obviously I’m going to hike as safely as possible, and won’t push myself to a point where I think I’m going to get hurt. With that in mind, the worst that I can picture happening is that we don’t make it the whole way. Which in the long run, doesn’t mean too much. If anything, I get to learn what my limits are. This trip might be the one that I fail miserably, but there is still a victory in that :)

A few questions for you guys if you don’t mind:

1. From the research I’ve done, I’ve learned that the temperatures over night are looking to be around 60°F. Being from Canada, I feel like once it hits, 40°F it’s patio weather. On packing lists I’ve seen everything from 32° bags to down jackets. How much of this do you figure I need to worry about? When it’s 60°F at night where I camp, I’m usually good without a jacket, but I’m not sure as I’m pretty new to the location. I have an Arc’teryx Atom LT, which is a mid weight layer, and a thinner Arc’teryx Delta LT which is a grid fleece. I’d like to bring as little as possible, but if you guys figure I shouldn’t do this without those pieces, then I’m fine with bowing to your experience.

2. In terms of water, I’ve heard that I won’t need more than 2L at a time. In the summer do you think that’s about accurate? I’ve been on hikes in the heat where I’ve blown through 2L in 3 hours. And when I did the Grand Canyon, I only drank 1L down and 1.5L up. I currently have a Lifestraw for filtering, but that doesn’t really allow me to fill my water bladder. Will there be places with taps, or should I make considerations for filtering and transferring to a bladder instead?
    • max.patch wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

ontariogeardo wrote:

The 97 miles I am referring to came from this site: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/explore-by-state/north-carolina

i'll be in tucson shortly. i think it has ya both beat.
      Vicksburg, MS had the worse summer climate I've experienced, much worse than AZ, 100* along with 100% humidity is really bad, your sweat can't evaporate and you feel like you have molasses on you you're get so sticky, just go outside and sit under a shade tree and in 2 minutes you're soaked.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • ontariogeardo wrote:

Most of the time, I hike and camp with people that are of less or similar physical condition. For this upcoming trip to the AT, I’ll be stepping outside of my comfort zone to do something a bit different. I will be traveling with a buddy who is significantly more fit than I am, which will be pretty different for me. The last time I went on an adventure with him, I was pushed well beyond a point that I thought was even possible. It’s hard to put that into words without it sounding cheesy, but it changed my life and my outlook on self-confidence and what I look at as realistic.

So when he proposed that we hike the entire North Carolina portion of the AT, my initial thought was that it was impossible. But without making this post an essay, the SECOND time he proposed I do something that I do something I thought was impossible or unlikely, I accomplished my goal and promised myself that if he thought I could do it, I’d give it my best shot. Obviously I’m going to hike as safely as possible, and won’t push myself to a point where I think I’m going to get hurt. With that in mind, the worst that I can picture happening is that we don’t make it the whole way. Which in the long run, doesn’t mean too much. If anything, I get to learn what my limits are. This trip might be the one that I fail miserably, but there is still a victory in that :)

A few questions for you guys if you don’t mind:

1. From the research I’ve done, I’ve learned that the temperatures over night are looking to be around 60°F. Being from Canada, I feel like once it hits, 40°F it’s patio weather. On packing lists I’ve seen everything from 32° bags to down jackets. How much of this do you figure I need to worry about? When it’s 60°F at night where I camp, I’m usually good without a jacket, but I’m not sure as I’m pretty new to the location. I have an Arc’teryx Atom LT, which is a mid weight layer, and a thinner Arc’teryx Delta LT which is a grid fleece. I’d like to bring as little as possible, but if you guys figure I shouldn’t do this without those pieces, then I’m fine with bowing to your experience.

2. In terms of water, I’ve heard that I won’t need more than 2L at a time. In the summer do you think that’s about accurate? I’ve been on hikes in the heat where I’ve blown through 2L in 3 hours. And when I did the Grand Canyon, I only drank 1L down and 1.5L up. I currently have a Lifestraw for filtering, but that doesn’t really allow me to fill my water bladder. Will there be places with taps, or should I make considerations for filtering and transferring to a bladder instead?
      I know what you mean about being pushed past your limits. I say Go For It. As long as you don't endanger yourself physically, the worst that can happen is you have to bail or you don't have fun.

I do everything wrong but in July I only pack a rain jacket, one long-sleeved shirt, one pair leggings (for sleeping), two pair of socks, 1 underwear, 1 baseball cap. I wear a short sleeved shirt, skirt, trail runners, and running socks.

My summer bag is 40* but I get colder than most people.

I use a Sawyer Squeeze water filter and only carry two, Smart Water bottles. However, sometimes water sources are dry in the summer and I have a feeling this summer is going to be very dry. You will get info about water from other hikers you encounter on the trail.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Also, when I hiked last July, day temps were nearly 100* and it was so warm at night, I slept on top of my bag and never wore my long-sleeved shirt or pants.

(I've also hiked in the summer and had cool, pleasant temps so be prepared for both).

It's a good idea to have a bandana that you can get wet and wrap around your neck.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Also, when I hiked last July, day temps were nearly 100* and it was so warm at night, I slept on top of my bag and never wore my long-sleeved shirt or pants.

(I've also hiked in the summer and had cool, pleasant temps so be prepared for both).

It's a good idea to have a bandana that you can get wet and wrap around your neck.
      I can hike when it's hot but I can't sleep laying in a pool of sweat, the only hiking I do when it's hot is next to a stream, I hung my hammock 6-7 ft away from Cheaha Falls last years and it was pretty nice, just stepped under the falls which were pretty cold, dried off and into the hammock...slept well.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.