Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Knowing when to bug out with Hiking Buddies.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Knowing when to bug out with Hiking Buddies.

Cold, Wet, Windy - & add Whimpering... Its one of the toughest things to do when bringing a dog on a trail system. Its an easy mistake - you feel prepared - you have the trip planned. Your plan doesn't have enough for the dog in the worst conditions... I am sharing as I too made this mistake a few years back in the Batona Trail. (NJ) I could have stayed the night...the dog would not. At 2 am the temps dropped below 17° and Rugby woke me up.... ice was coming off the breath of the dog. From memory we were 10 miles from the car, so we hiked back without stopping and just having the work out warmed us up. We made it to the car but the lesson was learned.

Fleece blankets were not enough.

Oh what started this thread... apparently this happens to others - I found this video reminded me of the experience

Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • That's why when we hike in winter I bring an old feather, sleeping bag (made for people) for our dog. We also will carry a ground pad, or two, as well as a quilted coat. If the dog is unhappy, my wife becomes unhappy and then I'm unhappy. And of course to carry that extra sleeping bag I got a larger backpack, which is heavier too.
    • LIhikers wrote:

That's why when we hike in winter I bring an old feather, sleeping bag (made for people) for our dog. We also will carry a ground pad, or two, as well as a quilted coat. If the dog is unhappy, my wife becomes unhappy and then I'm unhappy. And of course to carry that extra sleeping bag I got a larger backpack, which is heavier too.

LIhikers wrote:

That's why when we hike in winter I bring an old feather, sleeping bag (made for people) for our dog. We also will carry a ground pad, or two, as well as a quilted coat. If the dog is unhappy, my wife becomes unhappy and then I'm unhappy. And of course to carry that extra sleeping bag I got a larger backpack, which is heavier too.
      Not sure how that happened - I only clicked once... and I cannot fix it... Thanks for bringing this up... I had Ideas taking a crappy big old DuPont synthetic and cutting it in half, and sewing it shut. But then have to train the dog to stay put in cold weather... These Jacks are in training with fleece towels at the moment.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I'm a duck hunter. I hunted with Springer Spaniels. They would be cold and wet at the end of the hunt. Often they would be covered with beaver dam mud and not smelling too nice either. I kept an army duffel bag in my Blazer. After a couple times the dog would just jump into the bag and his head would stick out. I would then cinch it around so only the head stuck out. They would be warm and dry by the time we got home. It also stopped them from roaming around the car. It is also a great straitjacket for pulling porcupine quills.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • Most often the reason I don't take the dog on an overnight is because I'm going into bear country. Last fall I didn't take her as I suspected she was going into her 'season', which occurred shortly after departure.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC