Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

A few days in Slickrock Creek wilderness

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A few days in Slickrock Creek wilderness

I spent a very enjoyable two days in Slickrock Creek area. I had a few miles on the BMT to hike so returned to the scene of my Toughest Hike Ever. What a difference it makes to hike these trails when I am rested, with more familiarity of the area, and with beautiful weather.

It still wasn't easy. I hiked to Nichols Cove and took Nichols Cove trail to Slickrock creek. Nichols Cove trail hasn't been maintained. It was a challenge to follow and many times I chose my direction based on where I couldn't go due to blow downs, impenetrable vegetation, etc.. I had two fords of Slickrock Creek and did them both with confidence...the 13 previous times helped to dissipate any fear.

I made camp at Nichols Cove in early afternoon as my hip was achy and I didn't want to reinjure it. It was a great opportunity to practice my fire-making skills and was able to start a fire with one spark from the lighter. It's easy when everything is dry. I carried a drop spindle and some Alpaca roving and enjoyed spinning by the fire.

After fording Slickrock creek, I climbed Ike Branch trail, the 0.7 mile trail that was a nightmare the last time I hiked it. Previously, it had numerous, dense blowdowns that took all my energy to get around. Later, I learned that trail was considered impassable. I was so happy to see that a maintenance crew has been at work and cleared the worst of it. What took me nearly two hours to hike last time, only took me 20 minutes.

My reward was an awesome burger with fried egg and pimento cheese, French fries, a beer, and exciting kayak viewing at Tapoco Lodge.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • A few photos
      Images
      • image.jpeg

391.14 kB, 800×600, viewed 281 times
      • image.jpeg

287.26 kB, 800×600, viewed 274 times
      • image.jpeg

353.04 kB, 800×600, viewed 290 times
      • image.jpeg

307.39 kB, 800×600, viewed 279 times
      • image.jpeg

372.92 kB, 800×600, viewed 273 times
      • image.jpeg

288.7 kB, 800×600, viewed 281 times
      • image.jpeg

339.16 kB, 800×600, viewed 294 times
    • I lost one of my tent poles on Nichols Cove trail.

My tent Is supported by trekking poles but my poles have been wonky for a while (one is totally broken and the other is nearly there) so I've been using aluminum tent poles (sold by lightheart gear) for my tent.

lightheartgear.com/index.php/accessories/tent-poles

I remember trying to climb over some trees that had fallen over a creek bank and at the same time grab roots to haul me up the bank. I snagged one of my poles on a branch and didn't realize the other one had fallen out. I'm pretty disgusted and thinking about going back to look for it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Mountain-Mike wrote:

Happened to a friend on PCT. He attemted to jerry rig a pole & decided to to backtrack & found his poles haning on a branch along the trail. His new trail names of "Sticks" for his trying to improvise lasted. By default his friend's trail name became "Stones".

Good luch with your seach & recovery mission.
      My remaining pole is held together with duck tape.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Happened to a friend on PCT. He attemted to jerry rig a pole & decided to to backtrack & found his poles haning on a branch along the trail. His new trail names of "Sticks" for his trying to improvise lasted. By default his friend's trail name became "Stones".

Is it quacked?
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I have a 3M (10') strip of duct tape wrapped around a water bottle for such trail side repairs.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Is it quacked?
      There is a brand of duct take named... Duck Tape. So you can buy a roll of Duck Duct Tape.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Is it quacked?
      There is a brand of duct take named... Duck Tape. So you can buy a roll of Duck Duct Tape.
      I do not believe AFLAC or the ASPCA would approve of my intended use.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • JimBlue wrote:

Duck tape has been around for a long, long time. It's made of cotton duck cloth.

Another sort of duck tape was made around about the time of World War II - made of a polyethylene-cotton or polyethylene-rayon laminate. The soldiers used it as it's used today - the universal redneck repair kit - and called it duck tape, either because of its waterproofing qualities, its resemblance to cotton duck tape, or because it was very popular with the crews of DUKW amphibious vehicles, which are also called "ducks."

In the 1950's, manufacturers started making high-temperature variations of duck tape that were (marginally) suited to taping ducts, and duct tape was born. Since then, duck tape and duct tape have walked hand in hand.

Then, in the 1970's, the Manco company introduced a line of duct tape branded Duck Tape - a back-formation of a back-formation.

Most duck/duct tape is actually not a great product for taping ducts. It's better to use flue tape, which will take the heat.

I have a freezer bag cozy that was taped with Duck Tape. Over time, the glue oozed out. It got all over the foot end of my sleeping bag at one point (when I was experimenting - going without the sleeping bag's stuff sack). The sleeping bag is still stained. I made a new cozy and used flue tape this time.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.