Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Things to make fun of....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I can remember one time that I took my wife and daughter to a pancake breakfast one March at a local historic site (being operated as a working farm with mostly 1830s-vintage techniques). It was tasty - they were sugaring off that week and the syrup was still warm from the evaporator. I asked the server if the sausage was from the farm. She replied, "I don't know, why?"

When I said, "because I saw some fine Duroc pigs here last summer and I wondered what they tasted like. There was one sow in particular that was too fat to dress for ham but looked like terrific sausage," there was squick all around. I thought that a docent at a working historic site would have been a little more aware of what the farm animals were for.

(By the way, it wasn't their pig we were eating. It was a neighbour's. She was tasty.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • I'll probably lose you but here goes: I feel much better eating something like a deer, quail, rabbit or squirrel that's run free and had a life, it at least had a chance to enjoy life for a while...when I see a truck load of chickens cramped up so bad they can't even stand up headed to Tyson's I don't feel much like eating chicken...it never had a life.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

I'll probably lose you but here goes: I feel much better eating something like a deer, quail, rabbit or squirrel that's run free and had a life, it at least had a chance to enjoy life for a while...when I see a truck load of chickens cramped up so bad they can't even stand up headed to Tyson's I don't feel much like eating chicken...it never had a life.
      100% with you. What you described is the exact reason that I started hunting a few years ago.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Drybones wrote:

I'll probably lose you but here goes: I feel much better eating something like a deer, quail, rabbit or squirrel that's run free and had a life, it at least had a chance to enjoy life for a while...when I see a truck load of chickens cramped up so bad they can't even stand up headed to Tyson's I don't feel much like eating chicken...it never had a life.
      i purposely buy my eggs at the farmers market from chickens that have the opportunity to go outside and scratch around in the dirt.

but to be honest the chickens i consume probably haven't had much of a life before they make the ultimate sacrifice. i guess i'm inconsistent. :(
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

i purposely buy my eggs at the farmers market from chickens that have the opportunity to go outside and scratch around in the dirt.
      but to be honest the chickens i consume probably haven't had much of a life before they make the ultimate sacrifice. i guess i'm inconsistent. :(
      At least your eggs had a life....or could have if you hadn't eaten them.
    • It only makes sense that food that comes from happy, stress free animals must be healthier to consume than eating factory farm animals that have had antibiotic drenched lives filled with constant misery and stress.

I have a family run farm nearby (Richardson's in Middleton, MA) that has reasonably cared for animals, this is where I get my milk and eggs. I try to choose wild caught fish. After that I know I am taking my chances.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • The difference in quality between a fresh free-range chicken egg and a supermarket egg is huge. Crack two open side by side, the difference is stunning.

The eggs you buy are generally unfertilized. They were never going to have a life, anyways :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

It only makes sense that food that comes from happy, stress free animals must be healthier to consume than eating factory farm animals that have had antibiotic drenched lives filled with constant misery and stress.

I have a family run farm nearby (Richardson's in Middleton, MA) that has reasonably cared for animals, this is where I get my milk and eggs. I try to choose wild caught fish. After that I know I am taking my chances.
      This is true, don't bother shooting a deer that's been chased by dogs, meat will be tough and gamey tasting, make a clean shot and the deer never knows what happened and you cut it with a fork.
    • Drybones wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

It only makes sense that food that comes from happy, stress free animals must be healthier to consume than eating factory farm animals that have had antibiotic drenched lives filled with constant misery and stress.

This is true, don't bother shooting a deer that's been chased by dogs, meat will be tough and gamey tasting, make a clean shot and the deer never knows what happened and you cut it with a fork.
      Have I mentioned how much I like 12 gauge lead slugs? I honestly don't like shooting things all that much, and I like knowing that with my slug gun the deer will be deceased before they can figure out what happened.
      The downside is I have zero tracking skills since they rarely make it more than twenty feet.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Meat is grown in laboratories.
      I remember the McDonald Secret Lab to make first tasty Chicken Nuggets... its been torn down and replaced with doctor offices.... in West Chester PA
      I always wondered how they got the little bubbles in the mystery meat.
      The sponge like texture comes from textured vegetable protein.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Drybones wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Have I mentioned how much I like 12 gauge lead slugs? I honestly don't like shooting things all that much, and I like knowing that with my slug gun the deer will be deceased before they can figure out what happened.The downside is I have zero tracking skills since they rarely make it more than twenty feet.
      I found some shot that's a combo of slug and buckshot, has several buckshot on top of a slug, wouldn't use it for hunting but should be good for home protection.
    • Rasty wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I remember the McDonald Secret Lab to make first tasty Chicken Nuggets... its been torn down and replaced with doctor offices.... in West Chester PAI always wondered how they got the little bubbles in the mystery meat.
      I thought so too - but it appears its 25 separate ingredients.
      not sure how accurate this is.
      care2.com/greenliving/25-ingre…ds-chicken-mcnuggets.html
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I remember the McDonald Secret Lab to make first tasty Chicken Nuggets... its been torn down and replaced with doctor offices.... in West Chester PAI always wondered how they got the little bubbles in the mystery meat.
      I thought so too - but it appears its 25 separate ingredients.not sure how accurate this is.
      care2.com/greenliving/25-ingre…ds-chicken-mcnuggets.html
      Looks about right, here's the current list, I think it was a lot longer when I was a kid, they changed it to white meat in the early 2000's because people are gullible and think it's better for you:

mcdonalds.com/usmobile/en/food…en-mcnuggets-4-piece.html
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

I can remember one time that I took my wife and daughter to a pancake breakfast one March at a local historic site (being operated as a working farm with mostly 1830s-vintage techniques). It was tasty - they were sugaring off that week and the syrup was still warm from the evaporator. I asked the server if the sausage was from the farm. She replied, "I don't know, why?"

When I said, "because I saw some fine Duroc pigs here last summer and I wondered what they tasted like. There was one sow in particular that was too fat to dress for ham but looked like terrific sausage," there was squick all around. I thought that a docent at a working historic site would have been a little more aware of what the farm animals were for.

(By the way, it wasn't their pig we were eating. It was a neighbour's. She was tasty.)

Yeah... I know where my food comes from. Its odd that the person working at such a farm had no idea about it.

I also remember when I was a kid, my folks and I drove up to Maine to visit his relatives. We stopped in Pennsylvania to visit some cousins in Philadelphia. Some of the neighborhood kids asked me if cows had nests ? Well, I remembered a Porky Pig cartoon where in fact they did, and thats where milk came from... in bottles from the cow's nest.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • CHICKEN MCNUGGETS

Ingredients: White Boneless Chicken, Water, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Seasoning (Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Salt, Wheat Starch, Natural Flavoring [Botanical Source], Safflower Oil, Dextrose, Citric Acid), Sodium Phosphates, Natural Flavor (Botanical Source). Battered and Breaded with: Water, Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Yellow Corn Flour, Bleached Wheat Flour, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Lactate), Spices, Wheat Starch, Dextrose, Corn Starch.

CONTAINS: WHEAT

Prepared
      in Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated
      Soybean Oil) with TBHQ and Citric Acid to preserve freshness of the oil
      and Dimethylpolysiloxane to reduce oil splatter when cooking. Cooked in
      the same fryer that we use for Buttermilk Crispy Chicken which contains a
      milk allergen.

YEA WELL I need to die in a timely fashion as being 90 years old on all those damn drugs & hospices is clearly not in my DESTINY.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • mental note wrote:

I think I've figured out why blue meanies are blue, they treated their water with silver drops.

whiteblaze.net/forum/showthrea…ops?p=2071485#post2071485
      you did the same thing i did a while back, but TJ fixed it.

"threads to make fun of" is in the public section and is different from "threads to make fun of from TOS" which is in the private section.

i personally think "threads to make fun of from TOS" would make a great facebook page so that the entire internet could read and enjoy. :)
      2,000 miler
    • If I ever saw him in public I'd prolly say somthin' like "ha ha, you got yur ass beat by a girl" complete with knee slapin' laughter while pointin' him out to all, though I gotta reseed a few things that didn't take to well or are puny.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• meat wrote:

If I ever saw him in public I'd prolly say somthin' like "ha ha, you got yur ass beat by a girl" complete with knee slapin' laughter while pointin' him out to all, though I gotta reseed a few things that didn't take to well or are puny.
      Most likely you won't recognize him after his facial injuries healed.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • It is time to confess.... I am a bad person. I belong to FB groups that make fun of stupid hiker stories. Here is a post that came from the 'All Trails' site...

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

It is time to confess.... I am a bad person. I belong to FB groups that make fun of stupid hiker stories. Here is a post that came from the 'All Trails' site...

Well I guess if people like this (and their like minded friends) stay at home, it will not be so crowded for the rest of us. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • My confession is that I follow FB groups with the clueless. Recently someone thanked for being added to the group and appologized in advance for all the stupid questions she was going to ask. I replied with a welcome and told her there were no stupid questions....except the cheese question. Whatever you do, don't ask the cheese question!