Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

How Do You Protect Your Phone When Hiking

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • How Do You Protect Your Phone When Hiking

      new phone, so i need a new case. i was wondering what everyone does to protect their phone while its in your pack.

      if i had an i-phone, or one of a couple other models, i'd get an otterbox that has both front and back protection. but thats not an option with my nexus 5x. a pelican box, at least the ones in rei, are either too small or ridiculously too large to use.

      and for daily use, i've seen a folio case which has a flap (like a book cover) that protects the glass but that "seems" like it'd be a pita to use.

      any thots?
      2,000 miler
    • What do you plan to use it for while you're hiking? Unless you plan to use it for photos it will probably be tucked away in your pack where it is padded by all the stuff surrounding it. When I hike I just put mine in a ziploc bag with it's regular, not so huge case. Since I'm more careful with it while I'm on the trail and using it less as well, my phone is generally in less danger of me breaking it on the trail than it is in daily life.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • I have a Droid, and use a hard shell with holster front. Usually carry it in my pants or jacket pocket in normal life. With cargo pants I use the lower tech pocket.

      When hiking I put it in my front pocket with the holster clip on the outside of the pocket. So the only I really use the holster clip is for hiking. In cooler weather if I have a jacket I use that pocket instead.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

      elf, i don't use it at all when hiking. i'll check for messages at lunch but thats the only time it gets taken from the pack. i guess you don't worry about the glass?
      Mine is usually somewhere in my pack where it is padded by everthing else that I'm carrying. That's why I'm never too worried about it. If I were carrying it in a pants pocket or the like where it would potentially take some impact when I tripped and fell then I'd be a bit more cautious about it.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • what is an otterbox?

      Never had a cellphone until a few weeks before I started my attempt at a thru-hike, basically because I was concerned about my parents while I was away. 3 yrs later, almost to the day, I was on a treadmill in an attempt to get in shape for some backpacking this year and the cellphone fell onto the treadmill, bounced and not only the glass shattered but there's a somewhat deep 'bruise' at the portion above the screen. This happened about 3-1/2 wks ago. I really need to replace it. It's hard to psych myself up to go to replace it on my own. Do I go to Apple or just to Verizon? I am going to try to go to Verizon this afternoon; but I've been saying that for a few weeks.

      Anyway, I really would like to protect a new iphone better than I previously did. It just had a hard shell case over the back and sides. On a hike, I keep it in a ziplock in the cargo pocket of my pants.
    • Trillium wrote:

      what is an otterbox?

      Never had a cellphone until a few weeks before I started my attempt at a thru-hike, basically because I was concerned about my parents while I was away. 3 yrs later, almost to the day, I was on a treadmill in an attempt to get in shape for some backpacking this year and the cellphone fell onto the treadmill, bounced and not only the glass shattered but there's a somewhat deep 'bruise' at the portion above the screen. This happened about 3-1/2 wks ago. I really need to replace it. It's hard to psych myself up to go to replace it on my own. Do I go to Apple or just to Verizon? I am going to try to go to Verizon this afternoon; but I've been saying that for a few weeks.

      Anyway, I really would like to protect a new iphone better than I previously did. It just had a hard shell case over the back and sides. On a hike, I keep it in a ziplock in the cargo pocket of my pants.
      Otterbox is a brand of cell phone case. There are several different styles, each with a different level of protection.

      I keep a heavy duty screen protector on mine and use an otterbox. My youngest uses cheap, generic cases and has broken the glass more times than I can count. She pays for the replacements and goes to the Apple Store to do that, not the carrier store.

      Your phone is 3 years old so you may get a deal. However, now they factor the price of the phone into your bill instead of doing the "new every two"...that was quite a shock when I found out.

      The older iPhones are pretty cheap. My kids pay their part of the phone bill and my oldest uses an older model to keep her payments low.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • max.patch wrote:

      astro, i have a waterproof camera. i guess i could save a few ounces and use the phone; it has more pixels than the camera anyway. :(
      sensor size, optics, and software are way more impotent than pixels in a digital Camera and a dedicated camera will usually beat a smart phone in these. I carry a real camera in my pack hip belt. Nothing wrong with saving weight by ditching the camera. Just don't assume the pics will be as good.

      The last few hikes I only used my cell phone at night (if there was service) so it lived in the pack on its zip lock bag. This June I might try the guthook AP to see if I like it. Might depend on the weather.
    • I go to Wal-Mart and buy cheap camera carriers that have a belt loop. Much less money than the cell phone carriers sold by the cell phone companies. Since my backpack has a belt, I put the camera carrier on it. The belt loop on the camera case is a double velcro loop. I typically pay under 10 dollars for them and they last for years. The longest I ever had a cell phone carrier I bought from th cell phone company last was 3 months.

      Saved me lots of money over the years.

      I did get one of the plastic, with rubber gasket, cases sold in outdoor stores to place it in if I'm going to be near water. Wal-Mart carries them to.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • CoachLou wrote:

      in it's Life Box in my pants pocket
      Unfortunately I was disappointed with my $80 lifeproof case. I had the regular that fully enclosed the phone, not the "nude" one Worked great for about 8 months until the stupid clear window that displays the apple logo started leaking. They honored the warranty and sent me another one. Then a few months later the screen cover tore right out of the replacement case. I'm still using it as a regular case and at this point the rubber on the front has mostly deteriorated and peeled off. My conclusion is that it's only "lifeproof" if you are expecting a 6-8 month lifespan.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • Seidio OBEX case. I've managed to destroy both Otter Box and Lifeproof. My phone is usually in my pants pocket on mapping trips, and it takes a beating. The Seidio case has survived a couple of bad falls and at least one dunking.

      I do my homework in advance and don't buy a phone that I can't get a good case for.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

      Seidio OBEX case. I've managed to destroy both Otter Box and Lifeproof. My phone is usually in my pants pocket on mapping trips, and it takes a beating. The Seidio case has survived a couple of bad falls and at least one dunking.

      I do my homework in advance and don't buy a phone that I can't get a good case for.
      i'm with ya - i usually analyze everthing to death (curse you internet!) but i wanted a phone that used the project fi network and there are only 3 phones that met that criteria. (3 weeks in and the experience thus far is fantastic).
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

      i'm with ya - i usually analyze everthing to death (curse you internet!) but i wanted a phone that used the project fi network and there are only 3 phones that met that criteria. (3 weeks in and the experience thus far is fantastic).
      Project Fi is in my "wouldn't it be nice if" category. There are too many places where I go that it's Verizon or nothing. If you look at Google's coverage map for Upstate NY you'll see what I mean.

      I don't know which Fi phone you got. Seidio makes a CONVERT case for the 5 and the 6p. I don't see a ruggedized one for the 6.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.