Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Random questions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

When you're out walking in unfamiliar areas, it's like opening a gift...you don't know what you're going to get and it's exciting. These section guides sort of feel like I'm spoiling the surprise.
      Exactly! Now that's not to say they don't serve a purpose in planning, but I don't really wanna know what's around the next corner. Sometimes it's nice to have in my pocket if what's around the next corner shouldn't be there till tomorrow, but for the most part a looksey in the morning or maybe evening will suffice for me.
      I downloaded the PDF's of the 7 sections on my smarter-than-me-phone. I used a few of them, mainly sections 6 and 7, but can't decide if they helped or hindered.

Based on my posts about maps and such, it seems I'm navigationally challenged but truthfully, I have an intuitive sense of direction...at least I like to believe that. :)

The several times I had trouble, I looked at the PDF's but they made me more confused as I couldn't figure out where I was in their walk thru. Maybe not using them would have been easier.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

When you're out walking in unfamiliar areas, it's like opening a gift...you don't know what you're going to get and it's exciting. These section guides sort of feel like I'm spoiling the surprise.
      Exactly! Now that's not to say they don't serve a purpose in planning, but I don't really wanna know what's around the next corner. Sometimes it's nice to have in my pocket if what's around the next corner shouldn't be there till tomorrow, but for the most part a looksey in the morning or maybe evening will suffice for me.
      I downloaded the PDF's of the 7 sections on my smarter-than-me-phone. I used a few of them, mainly sections 6 and 7, but can't decide if they helped or hindered.
      Based on my posts about maps and such, it seems I'm navigationally challenged but truthfully, I have an intuitive sense of direction...at least I like to believe that. :)

The several times I had trouble, I looked at the PDF's but they made me more confused as I couldn't figure out where I was in their walk thru. Maybe not using them would have been easier.
      yeah I'd like to think I'm half blood hound too, and most of the time I am, but the mountains have a strange way of turnin' a person around when you'd swear it was over that way...I like maps.
    • Rasty wrote:

I still have to do Cherokee to Davenport. Probably going to do this in late July with the kids.
      That will be fun!

It's funny...my original plan was to hike the Smokies first because it felt safe, being on my home turf, and hike the Citico/Slickrock area last because i was intimidated. Instead, I hiked Citico/Slickrock first and saved the Smokies for last.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • Hiking in August won't be any worse than hiking last July in record temps...I believe it got above 100* and was humid. Water wasn't an issue except for the last day when there was a longish gap between sources and I had to ration. Took my last swallow an hour or two before I finished.

Stephan Pastis
    • Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I find it hard to believe that people hike in August and July...I'd die.
      In 2017 I should complete the AT by hiking at least 90% of it July and August. :)

I freauently hike in Jul and Aug and I'm surprised I haven't died.

Trick is get up early, hike until it's too hot, take a four hour break, then hike again from late afternoon until dark.

My first ever week long section was during a heat wave in MA, was in the high 90's and low 100's all week. On days 1 and 2 a bunch of Nobo thru hikers passed us. Then on day 7 the same nobo's passed us again. It turns out that they all bailed to town for the week since it was too hot to hike.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • mental note wrote:

Many don't care for out & back hiking, I find it resolves a lot of hassles to do it that way, so I'm down.

But then...
      Most of my hiking is solo, so that generally leaves me with two choices. 1) Pay a shuttle to drive me or 2) do an out and back. I had my wife pick me up once and that turned into a hassle of monumental proportions after she got lost on the forest service roads for hours and hours and nearly ran out of gas.
      RIAP
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I still haven't decided what to do. The 40 miles from hwy 64 to Blue Ridge, GA looks fun with only one big climb up Big Frog Mt. My hip is an unknown factor so I'll walk with my pack later this week.

Also toying around with the idea of moseying around the smokies or going to Grayson Highlands. So many choices around here!!
      the hill going up big frog southbound is easier than northbound.
      I know you can't always go by elevation profile but it looks like it would be easier hiking nobo.

Stephan Pastis
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I just remembered there's no place to park around Boardtown Rd. Guess I'll be hiking nobo.
      the trail crosses the road and there's no parking spots? that outta be a crime!
      I know, right?

There's no place on that road or Bushy Head Gap Rd. We drove all up and down. There's a pull off next to someone's driveway, I imagine it's private property, but it's not suitable for several days' parking.

Stephan Pastis
    • Because of the heat, I'm thinking about hiking the BMT in the Smokies instead of GA. It would be somewhere between The Tunnel (the low elevation of the Lakeshore Trail wouldn't be much cooler than GA.) and Davenport Gap.

I've hiked most of the trail from Laurel Gap shelter to Davenport Gap...12 miles...but planned to rehike it and finally finish the BMT at its' northern terminus.

As usual I'm on the fence. Finishing GA first makes things nice and tidy, leaving only the Smokies. I've hiked this trail so sporadically, with no rhyme or reason, and it seems like the most logical thing to do.

How important to y'all is the finish line? If you couldn't finish an AT hike at Springer or Katahdin, would you be disappointed? Will I be just as excited to finish in BF GA as I would at Davenport Gap?

Should I just suck it up and finish GA? Most of the elevation will be 3000-4200'.

Stephan Pastis
    • As a section hiker I say any which way you can. Sometimes you just gotta do what makes the most sense logistically. I've walked most of what I've walked nobo but Virginia I've walked 30 miles one direction the next piece the other way and so on.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Being consistently illogical when picking sections of the trail is perfectly OK. Do the Tunnel to Davenport section
      I decided that would be pushing it for me, I'd have to average 14+ mpd. But I've got other options and ideas.
      A nice bourbon is always an option and a good idea.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Being consistently illogical when picking sections of the trail is perfectly OK. Do the Tunnel to Davenport section
      I decided that would be pushing it for me, I'd have to average 14+ mpd. But I've got other options and ideas.
      A nice bourbon is always an option and a good idea.
      It's a necessity!

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

My plans may have taken a new direction! My oldest wants to meet in Shenandowh NP. I'm so excited that we might get to hike together. Keeping my fingers crossed. gif.014.gif
      My daughter and her husband are thinking about doing a little loop hike in the SNP tomorrow to South River Falls. Here's the falls:
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Our SNP backpacking trip has turned into an SNP camping trip. I'm a little relieved as I was beginning to feel the pressure of doing all the planning. We'll have a base camp and do day hikes and get to bring delicious food and wine. :)

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Our SNP backpacking trip has turned into an SNP camping trip. I'm a little relieved as I was beginning to feel the pressure of doing all the planning. We'll have a base camp and do day hikes and get to bring delicious food and wine. :)
      Tons of great options for day hikes. The rangers can make some good recommendations. Lots of waterfalls to hike to. South Rivers falls and Jones Falls have a wading pool. Mary's Rock has a fantastic view and is not crowded like Old Rag.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Our SNP backpacking trip has turned into an SNP camping trip. I'm a little relieved as I was beginning to feel the pressure of doing all the planning. We'll have a base camp and do day hikes and get to bring delicious food and wine. :)
      might just be planning of another type. :)

i've heard -- but have no personal knowledge -- that the other trails have better hiking than the AT in the park. i bet there's a book out there somewhere that has a description of every hike in the place.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

It's easier to throw a bunch of stuff in the car.

Now that we're not backpacking, my future son-in-law wants to go and he'll do all the cooking. :thumbsup:

Wait...that sounds messed up. :huh:

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

It's easier to throw a bunch of stuff in the car.
      Now that we're not backpacking, my future son-in-law wants to go and he'll do all the cooking. :thumbsup:

Wait...that sounds messed up. :huh:
      not really let em pamper ya for a change. I need to do more camping since packin' me wares in is out.
    • I finally completed the BMT. :D

My last section was in the Smokies, Smokemont to the intersection with Pretty Hollow Trail near Mt Sterling.

It was a tough hike and the sense of accomplishment is just starting to register.

Stephan Pastis