Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Random questions

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Random questions

      I can't find Rasty's recent trip report on the BMT so will ask random questions and post my thoughts here.

      I really want to hike the entire GA section in one trip but have never hiked that far at once. It is 91.7 + the Approach trail. I have 8 days but hope to be done in 7 so there's a rest day before going back to work. Plus, day 1 will be a half day.

      So, I'm thinking that's too ambitious, especially with my recent injury, and I should shorten it to 70ish miles. That would put me starting around Dyer Gap/Pinhoti intersection. Any suggestions for an easily-accessible starting place around there?

      I'm also thinking about doing a short hike in a few weeks and hiking the 20ish miles sobo that I will cut off the GA section. I'll need a shuttle. Rasty, who did you use?

      OR, do an out and back in a few weeks for 10 miles, saving money on a shuttle, and going for it. It would be about 89 mi.

      I'm hiking sobo and finishing at Springer.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      I can't find Rasty's recent trip report on the BMT so will ask random questions and post my thoughts here.

      I really want to hike the entire GA section in one trip but have never hiked that far at once. It is 91.7 + the Approach trail. I have 8 days but hope to be done in 7 so there's a rest day before going back to work. Plus, day 1 will be a half day.

      So, I'm thinking that's too ambitious, especially with my recent injury, and I should shorten it to 70ish miles. That would put me starting around Dyer Gap/Pinhoti intersection. Any suggestions for an easily-accessible starting place around there?

      I'm also thinking about doing a short hike in a few weeks and hiking the 20ish miles sobo that I will cut off the GA section. I'll need a shuttle. Rasty, who did you use?

      OR, do an out and back in a few weeks for 10 miles, saving money on a shuttle, and going for it. It would be about 89 mi.

      I'm hiking sobo and finishing at Springer.
      Only you can answer that, my main concern would be...are you healthy. I did the Foothills Trail two years ago (76 miles) in 4 days and it was a breeze, the miles just flew by and I never got tired, did 56 miles in 4 days a week ago and it hurt, still not recovered from being static too long with the knee. Don't do more than you can enjoy. What time of year do you plan to do this hike?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I know you've hiked the BMT. I hiked it last spring with Hikerboy and Superman. If I was hiking it by myself I would plan on 10 mile days. The route is confusing and not well signed. Some places trail maintenance is nonexistent. It takes time to sort out the right way. Hikerboy had three maps and we needed them all. We also got rained on a lot.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • Drybones wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      I can't find Rasty's recent trip report on the BMT so will ask random questions and post my thoughts here.

      I really want to hike the entire GA section in one trip but have never hiked that far at once. It is 91.7 + the Approach trail. I have 8 days but hope to be done in 7 so there's a rest day before going back to work. Plus, day 1 will be a half day.

      So, I'm thinking that's too ambitious, especially with my recent injury, and I should shorten it to 70ish miles. That would put me starting around Dyer Gap/Pinhoti intersection. Any suggestions for an easily-accessible starting place around there?

      I'm also thinking about doing a short hike in a few weeks and hiking the 20ish miles sobo that I will cut off the GA section. I'll need a shuttle. Rasty, who did you use?

      OR, do an out and back in a few weeks for 10 miles, saving money on a shuttle, and going for it. It would be about 89 mi.

      I'm hiking sobo and finishing at Springer.
      Only you can answer that, my main concern would be...are you healthy. I did the Foothills Trail two years ago (76 miles) in 4 days and it was a breeze, the miles just flew by and I never got tired, did 56 miles in 4 days a week ago and it hurt, still not recovered from being static too long with the knee. Don't do more than you can enjoy. What time of year do you plan to do this hike?
      May
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • sheepdog wrote:

      I know you've hiked the BMT. I hiked it last spring with Hikerboy and Superman. If I was hiking it by myself I would plan on 10 mile days. The route is confusing and not well signed. Some places trail maintenance is nonexistent. It takes time to sort out the right way. Hikerboy had three maps and we needed them all. We also got rained on a lot.
      How is the Georgia section compared to the NC/TN section (Thunderrock campground to Fontana) as far as navigation and difficulty?
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      sheepdog wrote:

      I know you've hiked the BMT. I hiked it last spring with Hikerboy and Superman. If I was hiking it by myself I would plan on 10 mile days. The route is confusing and not well signed. Some places trail maintenance is nonexistent. It takes time to sort out the right way. Hikerboy had three maps and we needed them all. We also got rained on a lot.
      How is the Georgia section compared to the NC/TN section (Thunderrock campground to Fontana) as far as navigation and difficulty?
      The hard parts for navigation was the wilderness areas where they don't like signs or blazes. Hikerboy did most of our navigation because he'd done it before. He would be a great resource.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      sheepdog wrote:

      I know you've hiked the BMT. I hiked it last spring with Hikerboy and Superman. If I was hiking it by myself I would plan on 10 mile days. The route is confusing and not well signed. Some places trail maintenance is nonexistent. It takes time to sort out the right way. Hikerboy had three maps and we needed them all. We also got rained on a lot.
      How is the Georgia section compared to the NC/TN section (Thunderrock campground to Fontana) as far as navigation and difficulty?
      The hard parts for navigation was the wilderness areas where they don't like signs or blazes. Hikerboy did most of our navigation because he'd done it before. He would be a great resource.
      Ok. I think I've done those. For some stupid reason, I did the hard part first. :)
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • sheepdog wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      sheepdog wrote:

      I know you've hiked the BMT. I hiked it last spring with Hikerboy and Superman. If I was hiking it by myself I would plan on 10 mile days. The route is confusing and not well signed. Some places trail maintenance is nonexistent. It takes time to sort out the right way. Hikerboy had three maps and we needed them all. We also got rained on a lot.
      How is the Georgia section compared to the NC/TN section (Thunderrock campground to Fontana) as far as navigation and difficulty?
      The hard parts for navigation was the wilderness areas where they don't like signs or blazes. Hikerboy did most of our navigation because he'd done it before. He would be a great resource.
      get a gps for your phone, I have Gaia, friends have Alltrails, nice to have in a wilderness area.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Rasty wrote:

      I'm leaving tomorrow for Amicacola. Getting a shuttle from Ron Brown on Friday morning to Reliance and hiking South. Going to resupply in Blue Ridge. Total miles should be 120. The weather looks decent with some warm days, some rain, some cold days and some snow possible.
      I used Ron Brown for my shuttle and was very pleased.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Thanks y'all. I don't need a shuttle for the main hike. My daughter's dropping me off on the BMT on her way to Springer for her section hike and I'm hiking to the car. That's why I'm going sobo.

      I'm a little worried about her getting lost if she drops me off in some remote place.

      I want to knock off a few miles sobo from thunderrock campground before the main hike and was thinking about using a shuttle.

      So, I'm really talking about two different hiking trips, one in a few weeks and a longer one in May.

      Does anyone know about the BMTA Spring Hike? I haven't seen anything on the BMTA site or in the newsletter.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

    • I still haven't decided what to do. The 40 miles from hwy 64 to Blue Ridge, GA looks fun with only one big climb up Big Frog Mt. My hip is an unknown factor so I'll walk with my pack later this week.

      Also toying around with the idea of moseying around the smokies or going to Grayson Highlands. So many choices around here!!
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      I still haven't decided what to do. The 40 miles from hwy 64 to Blue Ridge, GA looks fun with only one big climb up Big Frog Mt. My hip is an unknown factor so I'll walk with my pack later this week.

      Also toying around with the idea of moseying around the smokies or going to Grayson Highlands. So many choices around here!!
      the hill going up big frog southbound is easier than northbound.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      One decision made. I want to avoid a lot of people so the AT is out...not sure how people tolerate the crowds. Different strokes I guess.
      Personally I always enjoyed the AT bubbles, at least for a few days.
      Starting NoBo in July in CT, I should not be lonesome this summer.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      I still haven't decided what to do. The 40 miles from hwy 64 to Blue Ridge, GA looks fun with only one big climb up Big Frog Mt. My hip is an unknown factor so I'll walk with my pack later this week.

      Also toying around with the idea of moseying around the smokies or going to Grayson Highlands. So many choices around here!!
      Iron Mountain trail (old AT) north of Damascus might be less crowded.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      I still haven't decided what to do. The 40 miles from hwy 64 to Blue Ridge, GA looks fun with only one big climb up Big Frog Mt. My hip is an unknown factor so I'll walk with my pack later this week.

      Also toying around with the idea of moseying around the smokies or going to Grayson Highlands. So many choices around here!!
      Iron Mountain trail (old AT) north of Damascus might be less crowded.
      Thanks for the suggestion!
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Astro wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      One decision made. I want to avoid a lot of people so the AT is out...not sure how people tolerate the crowds. Different strokes I guess.
      Personally I always enjoyed the AT bubbles, at least for a few days.Starting NoBo in July in CT, I should not be lonesome this summer.
      I have the month of August free, thinking of either starting south from ME on the AT, catch the ending bubble, or going back to the CT....or get a case of Jack and camp on a creek bank some where.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Getting out to hike helped me to settle a few questions about next month. Right now, my hip isn't healed enough to do 100 mi. in 7 days. I was limping after 6 mi. I hope to do the section from Blue Ridge or Cherry Log to Springer.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      Getting out to hike helped me to settle a few questions about next month. Right now, my hip isn't healed enough to do 100 mi. in 7 days. I was limping after 6 mi. I hope to do the section from Blue Ridge or Cherry Log to Springer.
      The section just south of bridge blue ridge was really cool. I looked that bit of road walk and the old farm that the trail goes through is nice.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      One decision made. I want to avoid a lot of people so the AT is out...not sure how people tolerate the crowds. Different strokes I guess.
      There is plenty of room to get lost in the Chattahoochee, Cherokee, and Pisgah national forests. The AT is not the only trail around Hot Springs, NC. There is more there I would like to see.

      hotspringsnc.org/play/recreation/hiking/
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does

      The post was edited 1 time, last by WanderingStovie ().

    • I have decided that the start of my GA BMT hike is going to be Watson Gap or US 76 (Blue Ridge, GA). The mileage from Watson Gap is 72.6 + the Approach Trail. The mileage from Hwy 76 is 49.5 + the Approach Trail.

      I'm leaning towards leaving from Blue Ridge, it seems the prudent thing to do since my hip isn't 100%.

      My goal was to hike the entire GA section in one trip, leaving me with just the Smokies, but that's not going to happen.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      I have decided that the start of my GA BMT hike is going to be Watson Gap or US 76 (Blue Ridge, GA). The mileage from Watson Gap is 72.6 + the Approach Trail. The mileage from Hwy 76 is 49.5 + the Approach Trail.

      I'm leaning towards leaving from Blue Ridge, it seems the prudent thing to do since my hip isn't 100%.

      My goal was to hike the entire GA section in one trip, leaving me with just the Smokies, but that's not going to happen.
      No problem, the rest of the trail will still be there for you on the next trip. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      I have decided that the start of my GA BMT hike is going to be Watson Gap or US 76 (Blue Ridge, GA). The mileage from Watson Gap is 72.6 + the Approach Trail. The mileage from Hwy 76 is 49.5 + the Approach Trail.

      I'm leaning towards leaving from Blue Ridge, it seems the prudent thing to do since my hip isn't 100%.

      My goal was to hike the entire GA section in one trip, leaving me with just the Smokies, but that's not going to happen.
      No problem, the rest of the trail will still be there for you on the next trip. :)
      Assuming nobody sets it on fire.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      I have decided that the start of my GA BMT hike is going to be Watson Gap or US 76 (Blue Ridge, GA). The mileage from Watson Gap is 72.6 + the Approach Trail. The mileage from Hwy 76 is 49.5 + the Approach Trail.

      I'm leaning towards leaving from Blue Ridge, it seems the prudent thing to do since my hip isn't 100%.

      My goal was to hike the entire GA section in one trip, leaving me with just the Smokies, but that's not going to happen.
      No problem, the rest of the trail will still be there for you on the next trip. :)
      Assuming nobody sets it on fire.
      Aw, it would still be there, it just wouldn't look as good.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      WanderingStovie wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      I have decided that the start of my GA BMT hike is going to be Watson Gap or US 76 (Blue Ridge, GA). The mileage from Watson Gap is 72.6 + the Approach Trail. The mileage from Hwy 76 is 49.5 + the Approach Trail.

      I'm leaning towards leaving from Blue Ridge, it seems the prudent thing to do since my hip isn't 100%.

      My goal was to hike the entire GA section in one trip, leaving me with just the Smokies, but that's not going to happen.
      No problem, the rest of the trail will still be there for you on the next trip. :)
      Assuming nobody sets it on fire.
      Aw, it would still be there, it just wouldn't look as good.
      If I was going to charcoal blaze, I might have to figure out declination and agonic and isogonic lines, and get maps and a decent compass. An altimeter might also help. But I think I would be lazy and use GPS.

      It is hard to follow white blazes that burned away or fell over. On the other hand, if there are any white blazes, they should stand out especially well.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • I was doing some trip planning and discovered the BMTA has detailed descriptions and a 'walk through' for every section of the BMT.

      On one hand, I feel stupid because this could have helped a lot, but on the other, it was fun going out and figuring it out on my own (with The Guide and various maps of course).

      Wondering if I should look at these for my next trip. ?(

      bmta.org/sections/BMT-SecDescrip-07.pdf
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • When you're out walking in unfamiliar areas, it's like opening a gift...you don't know what you're going to get and it's exciting. These section guides sort of feel like I'm spoiling the surprise.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      When you're out walking in unfamiliar areas, it's like opening a gift...you don't know what you're going to get and it's exciting. These section guides sort of feel like I'm spoiling the surprise.
      Exactly! Now that's not to say they don't serve a purpose in planning, but I don't really wanna know what's around the next corner. Sometimes it's nice to have in my pocket if what's around the next corner shouldn't be there till tomorrow, but for the most part a looksey in the morning or maybe evening will suffice for me.