Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• best run home i've seen, considering the injury, the pitcher, and the game situation.

but if ya want to disagree and say carlton fisk (boston) or bill mazeroski (pittsburgh) i won't argue with ya. i didn't see mazeroski's becasue i was in school at the time. yep, game 7 of the world series started at 1:00 on a weekday. here's another way how baseball has changed; a 10-9 game that lasted 2:36.

edit to add: according to google first world series night game was 1971 baltimore - pittsburgh.

2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• I saw all those games except Maz's in 60. I am sure my mom was watching it, by I was not born until 61. I had 45 rpm record of it, so I listened to it a lot growing up.

Gibson's is my favorite, but then I grew up a Dodger fan. I remember Johnny Carson saying he hit it like Roy Hobbs (The Natural) and then went around the bases like Chester (guy who limped on Gunsmoke played by Dennis Weaver).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

4 years in PRISON for the cardinals employee who hacked into the astros computers to review their scouting reports?

wow.
      wonder if he'll stay on the payroll?

Folks whom setup Ponzi schemes in Utah don't get 4 years. One of the local real estate gurus was estimated to take in over 70 million from scammed investors and his sentence was probation.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • max.patch wrote:

4 years in PRISON for the cardinals employee who hacked into the astros computers to review their scouting reports?

wow. I
      He has the right to appeal, so we will see if it stands. Personally hope it does.

Case being tried in Houston area probably did not help the guy any.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

wow. I
      He has the right to appeal, so we will see if it stands. Personally hope it does.
      Case being tried in Houston area probably did not help the guy any.
      you've probably followed this closer than i have, but 4 years in PRISON for reading scouting reports doesn't seem fair to either this individual or the taxpayer who gets to pick up the tab.

ban him from baseball, put him on house arrest with an ankle monitor, and give him a TV that only picks up atlanta braves and cincinatti reds games and make him watch em and write a written report on each one. that'll teach him. take away a buncha draft picks from the cards while we're at it.

someone remind me how much jail time -- not prison -- that stanford guy got for raping that young woman.
      2,000 miler
    • 4 years in PRISON for hacking into a computer and reading scouting reports.

riddle me this...

lets suppose the guy flew down to houston, chucked a rock thru a window, broke open a filing cabinet, and stole paper copies of the same scouting reports.

now how much time does he get?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

4 years in PRISON for hacking into a computer and reading scouting reports.

riddle me this...

lets suppose the guy flew down to houston, chucked a rock thru a window, broke open a filing cabinet, and stole paper copies of the same scouting reports.

not as much as Nixon got when he took a peek.
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

wow. I
      He has the right to appeal, so we will see if it stands. Personally hope it does.Case being tried in Houston area probably did not help the guy any.
      you've probably followed this closer than i have, but 4 years in PRISON for reading scouting reports doesn't seem fair to either this individual or the taxpayer who gets to pick up the tab.
      ban him from baseball, put him on house arrest with an ankle monitor, and give him a TV that only picks up atlanta braves and cincinatti reds games and make him watch em and write a written report on each one. that'll teach him. take away a buncha draft picks from the cards while we're at it.

someone remind me how much jail time -- not prison -- that stanford guy got for raping that young woman.
      Ha! I (Reds fan) had a bet with a buddy of mine (ex Reds fan who switched to the Braves after they drafted him) this year on the first between the two to reach 36 wins and if it happened after July 31st then we both lost and had to pay off a third buddy that's a Yankees fan. So Wednesday not only did the Reds beat the braves to take the season series 4 games to 3 they also reached 36 wins. It was a glorious day and as soon as the last out was made I sent him this....

[IMG:https://content-na.drive.amazonaws.com/cdproxy/templink/13T0lkOIliUq55eiyAvPY-ameLHxxpjv0p982NzPxlALAYspN/alt/thumb?viewBox=681]

The youtube link is this...

Wooooooooo!!!! I won a sixer of Thomas Creek Red Ale :thumbsup:
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • max.patch wrote:

riddle me this...

Get drunk, kill four people with a car, claim affuency and get probation...our legal system sucks.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

riddle me this...

Get drunk, kill four people with a car, claim affuency and get probation...our legal system sucks.
      Affluent or effluent?
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

riddle me this...

Affluent or effluent?
      They both smell.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

riddle me this...

w have the best legal system money can buy.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

riddle me this...

w have the best legal system money can buy.
      I believe that 46 months is fair for the crime. But of course I would have gone for the death penalty on that kid.
    • if the cardinals employee gets 4 years in prison for hacking, then it seems to me that the astros IT guy deserves at least a couple years as an accessory before the fact for having obviously lax computer security.

remember when ms. janet left her computer logged on to TOS and jack noticed it and posted AS IF HE WAS MS. JANET announcing her decision to thru hike the following spring? thats a couple years right there.
      2,000 miler
    • so you're chris sale, the scheduled starting pitcher for the white sox in their game against the tigers, and ya don't like the throwback jersey's chicago is wearing for the game. so whatta ya do? choose one.

a) say nothing and go out and do your job. its just a jersey -- who cares.
      b) complain about it on twitter.
      c) complain on facebook and post a picture of the ugly jersey.
      d) get out the scissors and cut up a bunch of jerseys so that they can't be worn for the game.

suspend him without pay for the rest of the season.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

so you're chris sale, the scheduled starting pitcher for the white sox in their game against the tigers, and ya don't like the throwback jersey's chicago is wearing for the game. so whatta ya do? choose one.

d) get out the scissors and cut up a bunch of jerseys so that they can't be worn for the game.

what a doofus.

However I hope he comes off 5 days rest stronger than ever.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • max.patch wrote:

so you're chris sale, the scheduled starting pitcher for the white sox in their game against the tigers, and ya don't like the throwback jersey's chicago is wearing for the game. so whatta ya do? choose one.

a, and just remember tomorrow is another day. :rolleyes:
    • This news story made me feel good. Muskegon Heights is working hard to overcome problems typical of many inner city communities . Their Little League program just restarted after being absent for 15 years. The kid interviewed is video clip (Tomaurie Hutcherson ) is too cute. He said “I didn’t get to hit the ball, but I stole home. I slid. I got hurt. I got up. I was really okay.”

wzzm13.com/mb/news/local/muske…uskegon-heights/280197835
    • atlanta braves last year: moving to cobb county isn't going to mess up traffic.

atlanta braves yesterday: we're changing the starting time of our games next year when we move to cobb county from 7:00 to 7:30 because, you know, traffic.

and in good news, the head of the county commission who negotiated in secret with the braves to bring them to cobb got crushed in the run off election 64%-36%.

edit to add: a while back the braves suggested -- in all seriousness -- that people consider riding their bikes to the games. if they ever suggested it a second time i didn't hear it cuz the laughter of the community drowned them out. it's one thing to ride your bike to a 7:30 game -- its another to start riding home at 10:30.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• WanderingStovie wrote:

Tailgate all night, and try to keep the bicycle upright in the morning. I guess that requires a bicycle trailer (not really a tailgate), and some seats. Use training wheels in the morning?

Is cycling under the influence a crime?
      Probably drunk in public. I had a dumbarse boss once who got drunk and ran someone over while driving golf cart. Judge changed the charge from DUI to drunk in public because he said the golfcart wasn't a DMV recognized motor vehicle. It was also a hit and run and the lady suffered injuries. He was a moron.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference