Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

• New

Last night Dropkick Murphys streamed a 2 hour concert for charity (of which I've only watched the first 20 minutes or so). I put the link here as they did the concert from Fenway,and if you jump ahead to the 6:00 minute mark they give a 5 minute or so tour of the park which I found interesting. There is a garden there -- Fenway Farm -- (besides Scotty...who knew?) and the story of the red chair. One of the band members used to sneak into games with 9 of his friends; security could only catch 1 of them so 9 got a free baseball game and 1 had a crappy afternoon. Interesting enough that I plan on searching youtube for a more indepth and professional video of Fenway.

2,000 miler
    • New

max.patch wrote:

Last night Dropkick Murphys streamed a 2 hour concert for charity (of which I've only watched the first 20 minutes or so). I put the link here as they did the concert from Fenway,and if you jump ahead to the 6:00 minute mark they give a 5 minute or so tour of the park which I found interesting. There is a garden there -- Fenway Farm -- (besides Scotty...who knew?) and the story of the red chair. One of the band members used to sneak into games with 9 of his friends; security could only catch 1 of them so 9 got a free baseball game and 1 had a crappy afternoon. Interesting enough that I plan on searching youtube for a more indepth and professional video of Fenway.

Liked the intro by Kevin Bacon too.
      Was hoping to catch a game at Fenway this summer. Oh well, ther is always next year. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

I was hoping to catch a game this summer at the Pawtucket Red Sox's McCoy Stadium. Unfortunately, they are moving to Worcester next year, so there won't be a next year.

McCoy Stadium has some great history including hosting the longest professional baseball game ever played ---- 33 innings.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

IMScotty wrote:

I was hoping to catch a game this summer at the Pawtucket Red Sox's McCoy Stadium. Unfortunately, they are moving to Worcester next year, so there won't be a next year.

McCoy Stadium has some great history including hosting the longest professional baseball game ever played ---- 33 innings.
      Sorry about that. At this point I am just hoping we can get something at least on TV beyond KBO.
    • New

LOL, so Lenny Dykstra sues former teammate Ron Darling for defamation because of comments Darling made in his book.

And the judge dismisses the lawsuit becasue (paraphrasing here) Dykstra's reputation was already so bad that nothing can make it any worse.

usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/…ing-dismissed/5309597002/

<snip>

“Based on the papers submitted on this motion, prior to the publication of the book, Dykstra was infamous for being, among other things, racist, misogynist, and anti-gay, as well as a sexual predator, a drug-abuser, a thief, and an embezzler,” Kalish wrote.

(Kalish is the judge)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• New

max.patch wrote:

LOL, so Lenny Dykstra sues former teammate Ron Darling for defamation because of comments Darling made in his book.

And the judge dismisses the lawsuit becasue (paraphrasing here) Dykstra's reputation was already so bad that nothing can make it any worse.

<snip>

“Based on the papers submitted on this motion, prior to the publication of the book, Dykstra was infamous for being, among other things, racist, misogynist, and anti-gay, as well as a sexual predator, a drug-abuser, a thief, and an embezzler,” Kalish wrote.

(Kalish is the judge)
      Nails was an awesome player on the field.
      Off the field, definitely bad news and not someone you wanted around.
    • New

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

<snip>

(Kalish is the judge)
      Nails was an awesome player on the field.Off the field, definitely bad news and not someone you wanted around.
      One one side you have a guy who went to Yale, on the other side a guy who spent time in federal prison. Not surprising how this one turned out.