Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

If you're my age you remember watching him on TV.

RIP Mr. Tiger; Al Kaline 85 y/o.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?=LyyyvUvWuM8[/url]
      Used to have an Al Kaline bat growing up.
      Amaizing thing about those 60s to mid-70s Tigers was how little turnover they had. Kaline, Willie Horton, Norm Cash, Bill Freehan, Mickey Stanley, Jim Northup, Don Wert. They may have only won the one World Series in 1968, but impressive how they kept the core together in the filed. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Interesting article in Sports Illustrated about how the new "3 batter minimum" rule is going to end the role of the LOOGY -- lefthanded one-out guy.

The king of the LOOGY's was Mike Myers 883 appearances throwing 541 inninigs.

I couldn't find the article online yet; there's a lag between the time articles in the print mag are posted online.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

Interesting article in Sports Illustrated about how the new "3 batter minimum" rule is going to end the role of the LOOGY -- lefthanded one-out guy.

I couldn't find the article online yet; there's a lag between the time articles in the print mag are posted online.
      They have to do something to try get people to keep subscribing to the paper version.
      SI not quite the same as what I grew up with and anticipated every week.
    • max.patch wrote:

Interesting article in Sports Illustrated about how the new "3 batter minimum" rule is going to end the role of the LOOGY -- lefthanded one-out guy.

Whoa, that one completely slipped by me. I don't like it, although I would normally be in favor of anything that speeds up the game this takes away some interesting strategy decisions to me.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Whoa, that one completely slipped by me. I don't like it, although I would normally be in favor of anything that speeds up the game this takes away some interesting strategy decisions to me.
      I agree with you on both points, speeding up the game is good, but not there. Much rather they reduce commercial breaks between half innings. I think it might also eliminate the pitcher playing a batter or two in the field before returning to the mound, which I believe is always an interesting scenario.
    • odd man out wrote:

I always like it when they put the pitcher on n the field for a battery or two. When they do this, does he get to warm up again?. It's those warm ups with pitcher changes that takes so much time.
      I don't beleive so, and he should still be loose since just a batter or two.
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I always like it when they put the pitcher on n the field for a battery or two. When they do this, does he get to warm up again?. It's those warm ups with pitcher changes that takes so much time.
      Even more loose if he had to make a play in the field, although you know he's out there praying they don't hit it his way.
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Even more loose if he had to make a play in the field, although you know he's out there praying they don't hit it his way.
      That all depends on the player. Some pitchers like Mike Hamption and Zach Greinke would be chomping at the bit to have a ball hit to them. Several pitchers were the best athletes on their teams growing up and welcome the challenge. Now some like Mickey Lolich and Barto Colon not so much.
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

That all depends on the player. Some pitchers like Mike Hamption and Zach Greinke would be chomping at the bit to have a ball hit to them. Several pitchers were the best athletes on their teams growing up and welcome the challenge. Now some like Mickey Lolich and Barto Colon not so much.
      LOL, don't forget former Braves (among others) relief pitcher Terry Forster who became an household name when David Letterman called him a "fat tub of goo" on his Late Night show. He later was a guest on his show and walked out on the set eating a sandwich.
      2,000 miler
    • And while I'm at it, can't forget ex Astros and Braves fat relief pitcher Charlie Kerfeld who supposedly was sent down to the minors by the Astros when they caught him eating ribs during a game. Lot of overweight MLB players (including the greatest of em all) but I'll stop here. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

And while I'm at it, can't forget ex Astros and Braves fat relief pitcher Charlie Kerfeld who supposedly was sent down to the minors by the Astros when they caught him eating ribs during a game. Lot of overweight MLB players (including the greatest of em all) but I'll stop here. :)
      I will always remember Kerfeld's "Jello" contract as described below.

After a spectacular rookie season in 1986, rotund reliever Charlie Kerfeld, who always pitched in his lucky Jetsons T-shirt, needed a new contract. Kerfeld asked for $110,037.37, matching his No. 37 jersey, to pitch in 1987. On top of that, he received 37 boxes of orange Jell-O in the deal.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

And while I'm at it, can't forget ex Astros and Braves fat relief pitcher Charlie Kerfeld who supposedly was sent down to the minors by the Astros when they caught him eating ribs during a game. Lot of overweight MLB players (including the greatest of em all) but I'll stop here. :)
      I will always remember Kerfeld's "Jello" contract as described below.
      After a spectacular rookie season in 1986, rotund reliever Charlie Kerfeld, who always pitched in his lucky Jetsons T-shirt, needed a new contract. Kerfeld asked for $110,037.37, matching his No. 37 jersey, to pitch in 1987. On top of that, he received 37 boxes of orange Jell-O in the deal.
      LOL, I remember the Jetsons T-shirt but I didn't know about the Jell-O. I'm sure he ate it. :)
      2,000 miler
    • A 2017 Houston Astros World Series Championship ring is up for auction.

The initial bid is $7,000; auction ends May 16.

But what surprised me is how of these things the Astros passed out -- 1,332!

Who DIDN'T get a ring? :)

<snip>

After winning the 2017 World Series, the Astros gave out 1,332 rings to players, coaches, clubhouse and training staff, baseball and business front office members, medical staff, seasonal associates, Hall of Famers, owners and broadcasters. There were four different tiers of ring with the players and staff getting the highest-end tier. All the rings look similar, they were just made of different materials.

chron.com/sports/astros/articl…-auction-buy-15196993.php
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

A 2017 Houston Astros World Series Championship ring is up for auction.

<snip>

After winning the 2017 World Series, the Astros gave out 1,332 rings to players, coaches, clubhouse and training staff, baseball and business front office members, medical staff, seasonal associates, Hall of Famers, owners and broadcasters. There were four different tiers of ring with the players and staff getting the highest-end tier. All the rings look similar, they were just made of different materials.

After the hurricane and the flooding there a very positive vibe and they wanted to share with everyone .
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

<snip>

After the hurricane and the flooding there a very positive vibe and they wanted to share with everyone .
      While I'd kinda like to think that only the players and manager get a ring I knew that more than that get distributed. But in my wildest dreams I'd never guess that 1,332 was the number.

Does Susie in payroll really deserve a ring? :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

<snip>

While I'd kinda like to think that only the players and manager get a ring I knew that more than that get distributed. But in my wildest dreams I'd never guess that 1,332 was the number.
      Does Susie in payroll really deserve a ring? :)
      Hey after nearly 60 years I guess the joy was flowing. And the most popular promotion at games the next was the "replica" rings. :)
    • IMScotty wrote:

Nice, great to see that.
      And the guy singing with Rose later played the part of Mel (owner of Mel's Diner) in the Sitcom 'Alice'
      What I remember most from Alice was that I think it was Flo who used to always say "kiss my grits". :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Listening to 4-8-74 game where Hank Aaron hits 715 against the Dodgers. At one point they say Eddie Matthews then manager of the Braves was complaining about the Dodgers numbers on the front of their uniforms were too shiny and helping the pitchers distract the hitters. :huh:
    • Don't know if y'all have seen any of Goose Gossage's recent interviews. Good thing for him he is already in the HOF, otherwise now he would probably be sitting on the outside for eternity like Curt Schilling.
    • Astro wrote:

Don't know if y'all have seen any of Goose Gossage's recent interviews. Good thing for him he is already in the HOF, otherwise now he would probably be sitting on the outside for eternity like Curt Schilling.
      I imagine they are a lot of people who agree that Trump should be the next owner of the Yankees. Starting in January. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

OK, I ignored their monthly $5 offer when I clicked the link, but they followed me to Facebook and sweetened the deal to $2.50 a month for the first year. They got me!
      Sorry about, I thought they were running a 90 days free. Didn't mean to commit you to anything. :S
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

OK, I ignored their monthly $5 offer when I clicked the link, but they followed me to Facebook and sweetened the deal to $2.50 a month for the first year. They got me!
      Sorry about, I thought they were running a 90 days free. Didn't mean to commit you to anything. :S
      They are -- but you gotta sign up for a year at regular price (which you can avoid if you cancel within the first 90 days). I figured I'd like it so I went with the half price offer. Cheaper than SI!
      2,000 miler