Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

didn't baseball used to have 2 very large divisions per leage? In that case, I thought the wild card system made sense. Now that there are smaller divisions, I can see having only the winner of the division go through. But with only 3 divisions, you need a 4th to get single elimination playoffs. So how about adding one more expansion team per league and reorganize into 4 divisions with 4 teams each and have not wild card? Then we can argue over which city should get the expansion teams and which teams go in which division.
      Going to 4x4 in each league is what is currently in MLB plans, questions is when (need to resolve Oakland and TB stadium issues first).
      Prior to 1969 was 10 teams (8 teams prior to 1962) in each league with winner going to WS. 1969 started divisional play with 2x6 (and great schedule 5x18 in your division 6 x12 in the other). Then 1994 was when things got out of control with 28 with odd divisions and wild card, and eventually 30 teams (eventually forcing inter-league play everyday when Bud Selig forced Astros to move to AL ).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• I guess for baseball 1 out 2 isn't bad. Ted Simmons well deserving gets into the Hall of Fame. Marvin Miller is the root of most of the things wrong with baseball, but they finally vote him in too.

• Scott Boras may be a jerk (and the modern day godson of Marvin Miller), but you have to admit he is good to his clients. Had contracts singed this week for $814 million. :S
      Of course I am sure he takes a nice cut out of that.

Owners don't care, they will just pass it to the fans unfortunately. :(
    • And keeping this baseball related, yesterday The Oriole Bird of the Baltimore Orioles was selected to join the class of 2020 in the Mascot Hall of Fame.

He (?) was joined by Youppi! of the Montreal Canadians, Blue of the Indianapolis Colts, and Boomer of the Indianapolis Pacers.

I think it's neat that the Mascot Hall of Fame has it's own official mascot. :)

If you ever find yourself in Whiting, Indiana -- you know what to do.

Baseball fans will be glad to know that Mr. Met and the Phillie Phanatic (and 2 others) have already been enshrined. I'm puzzled as to the omission of the San Diego Chicken -- was he juiced? And as a basketball fan I concur with the enshrinement of The Gorilla of the Phoenix Suns.

Here's the list:

mascothalloffame.com/mascots/current-mascot-inductees/
      2,000 miler
    • Hey that is only 100 miles from my wife's hometown, and not far off the route. So I guess maybe I we will try to swing by some time.

College Football HoF used to be in South Bend, IN. Now in downtown Atlanta near Centennial Park. Actually ate at the Chick-fil-a in that building during Thanksgiving break.
    • MLB teams gave over $800 million in contracts to three Scott Boras clients this week, and this will go over 1 billion in the coming weeks.

At the same time they want to cut 42 minor league teams (from 160). So MLB baseball has over a billion $ available for a few players, but want to put 25% of the kids trying to fulfill their dream making $1,000/month (during the season so only $4-6K) out of work. The priorities seem way out of synch here.
    • Astro wrote:

MLB teams gave over $800 million in contracts to three Scott Boras clients this week, and this will go over 1 billion in the coming weeks.

At the same time they want to cut 42 minor league teams (from 160). So MLB baseball has over a billion $ available for a few players, but want to put 25% of the kids trying to fulfill their dream making $1,000/month (during the season so only $4-6K) out of work. The priorities seem way out of synch here.
      I agree; i think it's horrible the way MLB treats minor leaguers. Making less than minimum wage -- many players forced to live with fans who open up their homes to the players because they can't afford rent -- it's a disgrace.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

MLB teams gave over $800 million in contracts to three Scott Boras clients this week, and this will go over 1 billion in the coming weeks.

I agree; i think it's horrible the way MLB treats minor leaguers. Making less than minimum wage -- many players forced to live with fans who open up their homes to the players because they can't afford rent -- it's a disgrace.
      Yeah, but what they are proposing is even worse, 800-900 each year will not even get that chance to be "mistreated". Plus there goes some fun cheap entertainment for 42 towns.
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

RIP Don Larsen 90 y/o

Always thought it was funny that Yogi jumped on him. Awesome performance on the biggest stage. :thumbup: And lived a long life to cherish it too.
      astro, were you at the game? :)t
      No, not quite that old.
      But I did see some neat memorabilia for it at the Yankee Stadium museum.
      Did get to see Mike Fiers throw one for the Astros with my son, and Mike Scott take one into the 9th in 89. Also watched one my students throw one in college, and few by my youngest son.
    • Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

The new Yankee Stadium has a historic museum.

The old Yankee Stadium was a historic museum.

:(
      Maybe this summer I will finally make it to Fenway. :)
      If you make that trip be sure to also catch a Pawtucket Red Sox game in historic McCoy Stadium. Great history there including the longest professional game ever played (33 innings).

After next summer the PawSox will be moving from Rhode Island to Worcester, MA in some modern thing they are building there.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astros fire their Manager and GM....

cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/houston-…-investigation/index.html

The hammer is going to be dropped on Red Sox manager Alex Cora next.

If he faces a long suspension, the Red Sox will really miss him. After Cora joined the organization the Sox bats really came alive. gif.002.gif

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astros fire their Manager and GM....

cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/houston-…-investigation/index.html

The hammer is going to be dropped on Red Sox manager Alex Cora next.

If he faces a long suspension, the Red Sox will really miss him. After Cora joined the organization the Sox bats really came alive. gif.002.gif
      I always told my kids it does not matter what everybody else is doing, that doesn't make it right.

But at the same time a little appalled at MLB making Astros and Red Sox scape goats for something I seriously believe the other 28 teams were also doing to some degree. MLB biggest concern appears to be trying to ger past the PR problem Mike Fiers created as quickly as possible, not truly investigating the problem with the other 28 teams.
    • The more I look into it these shenanigans the more I think the punishment is absolutely deserved. This may have been a common practice among all the teams, but the Sox and the Astros were both sent letters from MLB to cease and desist. They ignored those warnings. At least Alex Cora ignored those warnings and kept on cheating.

Now think of the rookies called up to the big league only to get shelled because the hitters knew what pitch was coming. Some of those guys were sent back down and may never make the show again. They did not deserve that. Think of the teams who maybe should have won the world series in place of the Astros and the Red Sox. Did Mookie Betts deserve the 2018 MVP, or should it have really gone to some other player. We will never know but any achievements by the players on these teams will forever be tainted.

Cora got fired by the Red Sox today. He deserves it. The punishment from MLB will be and should be harsh. Cora is a likable and talented manager, but he may never coach again. When he asks himself why, I hope he takes a long look in the mirror and sees the answer staring back at him.

John Greenleaf Whittier

The post was edited 1 time, last by IMScotty ().

• Stephen A Smith was on FIRE yesterday; I caught the first half hour of his radio show on my way to the dentist.

Executive summary (sorry I can't replicate the passion):

This is the Black Sox scandal Version 2.0.

The manager and GM were suspended for a year. The players should also be investigated and anyone found to be complicit with the scheme should also be suspended for a year. (Will never happen since MLB doesn't want war with the players union.)

Since the players will not be investigated, Pete Rose should be immediately be reinstated to baseball and enshrined in the HOF.

The World Series championship should be vacated. MLB should show up at Houston HQ tomorrow and physically remove the trophy.

Dodgers and Yankees were screwed.

Dodger ownership should immediately sit down with Dave Roberts and demand to know why he didn't do anything about the Astros banging on the trash can.

SAS was just getting started. I'm sure I missed some other gems.
      2,000 miler
    • If you want to start suspending players, they better do it for all 30 teams that were doing it to one degree or another.

This is really all about how to make the bad PR that Mike Fiers created go away. Much more about marketing and brand than punishing people who did something wrong.
    • max.patch wrote:

Goodbye Carlos Beltran.
      Don't be surprised to see Brodie Van Wagenen hire a veteran manager like Dusty Baker for a one year contract.
      Then in 2021 he can bring in his old roommate AJ Hinch to manage.

The one caveat is that Brodie survives that long as the Mets GM.
    • One positive to come out of this is that there are 3 new Manager jobs available.

And since 2 of those let go are minorities, it probably increases the odds for potential first time managers like Joe Espada and Eduardo Perez.

• max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Logan Morrison may never play another MLB game. Similar to Jose Canseco, the guy telling the truth that that MLB (and many others) do not want to hear.

bleacherreport.com/articles/28…deo-names-yankees-dodgers

nydailynews.com/sports/basebal…pjkqb4rmdf4mfe-story.html
      well, that may explain why dave roberts took no action re the banging on the trash can.
      Steve Phillips said the one team he thought might not be doing this was the Oakland A's since Mike Fiers is the one who went public with it. And of course he never went public with it until he had a guaranteed 2 year contract.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Goodbye Carlos Beltran.
      Don't be surprised to see Brodie Van Wagenen hire a veteran manager like Dusty Baker for a one year contract.Then in 2021 he can bring in his old roommate AJ Hinch to manage.

anticipating the firing, this was discussed on sat radio yesterday on my way home from the dentist (don't recall who). dusty and a couple others (don't remember who) were mentioned.

pros: been there, done that. good to hire a seasoned manager to take over in a crisis situation. has experience handling the media.

cons: older manager probably doesn't give a flip about analytics. and analytics is where the game has gone to.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Goodbye Carlos Beltran.
      Don't be surprised to see Brodie Van Wagenen hire a veteran manager like Dusty Baker for a one year contract.Then in 2021 he can bring in his old roommate AJ Hinch to manage.
      anticipating the firing, this was discussed on sat radio yesterday on my way home from the dentist (don't recall who). dusty and a couple others (don't remember who) were mentioned.
      pros: been there, done that. good to hire a seasoned manager to take over in a crisis situation. has experience handling the media.

cons: older manager probably doesn't give a flip about analytics. and analytics is where the game has gone to.
      Buck Showalter would be a good choice if not jut a place holder for one year.
    • A different viewpoint from Newsweek magazine.

<snip>

STOP CRITICIZING THE HOUSTON ASTROS: BASEBALL NEEDS MORE CHEATING, NOT LESS

Whatever Manfred's rationale, it's dumb. If I have to sit through three hours of watching pitcher after pitcher come out of the bullpen and throw eight warm-up pitches and then face just a single batter, of watching batters step out of the box after each pitch and carefully readjust their gloves and helmets, of watching replay after replay, then at least give me a little cheating so I have something to laugh about with the guy sitting next to me.
      2,000 miler