Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Note to self, never take a job that Joe Maddon may want. First Cubs fire Rick Renteria after one year, now Angels fired Brad Ausmus for him after one year. Multiyear contract means nothing if Maddon is available. Well at least they still get paid. :)
      so the cubbies fire maddon and of their top candidates is...gabe kapler?
      that's like dumping taylor swift and hooking up with mama cass.
      Could be argued Joe Girardi is an upgrade. Buck Showalter up until Orioles always prepared a team for World Series (Yankees, Arizona Diamondbacks, Texas Rangers).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • As if we would ever need another reason to hate the Yankees. :rolleyes:
      Most obnoxious and class-less fans I have ever run into in my life. :thumbdown:
      I want the Astros to win, but the pleasure in seeing the evil empire lose is pretty sweet too. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Having a healthy Jose Altuve in October again this year really makes a difference. :thumbup:
      thank you mr. altuve.

i was really tired watching the game, and i was upset when the yankees tied it -- not becasue i hate the yankees -- but becasue that meant i couldn't go to bed. i'm glad altuve ended things promptly, instead of dragging it out over multiple extra innings.

in the 8th i was resting my eyes :) and i swear i heard the announcer say "the astros pull off the triple play!" that got my attention, and as the players ran off the field they looked as if that is what had happened. but then the replay showed that it was just a double play. i probably would have slept thru the 9th had that not grabbed my attention.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

pelicans-raptors tuesday at 8:00!

if anybody is watching baseball can they post updates? :)
      I was trying to figure out what that was, and then remembered the Hornets changed there name. :rolleyes:
      Because we know Utah just had to keep the Jazz. :rolleyes:
      And how many lakes are there in LA? I am sure there are more Clippers in San Diego than LA. And I have been to Memphis several times and never seen a Grizzly.
    • max.patch wrote:

19 years ago today.

roid rage?

Absolutely. Although eventually fined $50K, he should have been immediately ejected from the game. As a long time Astros fan I find the signing and continued association with him much more embarrassing than anything about Roberto Osuna.
    • max.patch wrote:

so...will the astros do the right thing and fire their assistant general manager?

(is he that stupid or was that the beer talking?)

or will it be business as usual and just wait for the whole schitt storm to blow over?
      He's a jerk and a dope. Unfortunately, the Astros will probably keep him.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

so...will the astros do the right thing and fire their assistant general manager?

or will it be business as usual and just wait for the whole schitt storm to blow over?
      he should be gone, but i think you're right.
      FIRED!!!

a.j. hinch is the only one in management who got this thing right from the start.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

FIRED!!!
      a.j. hinch is the only one in management who got this thing right from the start.
      So maybe now we can get rid of the "F bomb" curse and go back to winning baseball games. The Cardinals didn't with Shildt, and went on to get swept.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

FIRED!!!a.j. hinch is the only one in management who got this thing right from the start.
      So maybe now we can get rid of the "F bomb" curse and go back to winning baseball games. The Cardinals didn't with Shildt, and went on to get swept.
      Wish they had fired him sooner so we could have swept in the first four games, instead of spotting them a two game lead. I know anything can happen, but feeling pretty confident now even if Verlander continues his inability to win a WS game that the bats, bullpen, and if necessary Greinke in Game 7 will get it done. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

FIRED!!!a.j. hinch is the only one in management who got this thing right from the start.
      Wish they had fired him sooner so we could have swept in the first four games, instead of spotting them a two game lead. I know anything can happen, but feeling pretty confident now even if Verlander continues his inability to win a WS game that the bats, bullpen, and if necessary Greinke in Game 7 will get it done. :)
      yeah, once the astros got rid of the bad karma they've been unstoppable. now they gotta beat this years home field jinx.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

Loved the homerun and the player, but I guess I am still a little too old school to appreciate carrying the bat.
      When I was in grad school, I coached our intra-mural softball team. Typical of most science graduate programs, there were many international students and most of them had no clue how to play softball, so I got to be coach/teacher. We had a guy from Sweden who was particularly enthusiastic so ever time he got a hit he would fling his bat and nearly take the head off the poor guy from the other team who was playing third base.
    • i'm a totally left brained numbers guy, and i just can't wrap my head around the fact that the nationals are now considered the best team in baseball -- yet they finished 4 games behind the braves in their division and won 14 games less than the astros during the season. if i was king of the world there would be no such thing as a wild card -- ya don't win your division ya don't make the playoffs.

edit to add: as long as i'm bitching, i'll just say that i hate the networks rehabilitation of alex rodriguez. he should be under a rock somewhere.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Astros were the "best team in baseball this year", which gave them "homefield advantage". But all that really doesn't matter now because they failed twice to close the deal, and the Nationals made the most of the situation.
    • Game 7 was something that I've been waiting for since 2010. A young kid named Stephen Strasburg was chosen #1 in the MLB draft by the Washington Nationals and assigned to the AA Harrisburg Senators. I took my son out to the ballpark on City Island to see the alleged phenom in his first home game. Bottom line: he got shelled by the opposing team and was pulled in the 2nd inning.

I guess he got better. Like World Series MVP better. And I can tell folks that I saw him back in the day when he sucked.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Not for sure what will happen to Garrit Cole, but he proved himself to be a total jerk. Goes to post game press conference with Scott Boras hat. Reason he was not used in game 7 was because AJ Hinch only comfortable going to him to start an inning, because he can not control the running game. Which ever team signs him needs to save some money to also sign Martin Maldonado.

After Astros taught him how to pitch, traded twice mid-season to get the catcher to cover for his weakness, and went out of the way to protect his arm, he goes total bush league in his last night as an a Astro. Looks like Cole and the Yankees deserve each other. :thumbdown:
    • Astro wrote:

Astros were the "best team in baseball this year", which gave them "homefield advantage". But all that really doesn't matter now because they failed twice to close the deal, and the Nationals made the most of the situation.
      back in the late 50's when the nba had 8 teams -- 4 in each conference -- and the top 3 in each conference made the playoffs -- bill russell (i think) said "we play 72 games a year just to eliminate philadelphia from the playoffs".
      2,000 miler
    • didn't baseball used to have 2 very large divisions per leage? In that case, I thought the wild card system made sense. Now that there are smaller divisions, I can see having only the winner of the division go through. But with only 3 divisions, you need a 4th to get single elimination playoffs. So how about adding one more expansion team per league and reorganize into 4 divisions with 4 teams each and have not wild card? Then we can argue over which city should get the expansion teams and which teams go in which division.
    • odd man out wrote:

didn't baseball used to have 2 very large divisions per leage? In that case, I thought the wild card system made sense. Now that there are smaller divisions, I can see having only the winner of the division go through. But with only 3 divisions, you need a 4th to get single elimination playoffs. So how about adding one more expansion team per league and reorganize into 4 divisions with 4 teams each and have not wild card? Then we can argue over which city should get the expansion teams and which teams go in which division.
      when i was a kid there were 8 teams in the american league and 8 teams in the national league. no divisions. the world series then matched the winner of each league. none of this wild card nonsense -- just the 2 best teams going at it.
      2,000 miler