Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

Yes, 13-2 now and only bottom of the 6th. Great game to clinch Western division title, but if Brad Ausmus keeps changing pitchers I am not going to get home until well after midnight, probably 1am.
      Made it back home at 1am, but it was definitely worth it.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I was not at this strange game in Milwaukee, but was at final regular season game ever at the Astrodome where they clinched the 1999 NL Central Division title. I still have the confetti that dropped from the ceiling at the end (put it inside the little tin model of the dome they gave us when we walked in the gates to the game).

mlb.com/news/bill-spiers-strange-brawl-with-berley-visgar
    • Astro wrote:

I was not at this strange game in Milwaukee, but was at final regular season game ever at the Astrodome where they clinched the 1999 NL Central Division title. I still have the confetti that dropped from the ceiling at the end (put it inside the little tin model of the dome they gave us when we walked in the gates to the game).

perp walk...

this was his facebook profile picture for a while...a guess he was proud of it!

[IMG:https://scontent.fatl1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/540056_216068568507900_1108835399_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQlXUJPcI_-fIzeX7iJr0MYkEsaHl2lAGbhmZu4cLFblAtZHWo6HR49obNQGXsC4bhy4qtJQtWqtJXs2VSqk2MEn&_nc_ht=scontent.fatl1-2.fna&oh=29e42e15494adc699d957f02fc80e626&oe=5DF4BF49]
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Astro wrote:

I was not at this strange game in Milwaukee, but was at final regular season game ever at the Astrodome where they clinched the 1999 NL Central Division title. I still have the confetti that dropped from the ceiling at the end (put it inside the little tin model of the dome they gave us when we walked in the gates to the game).

My father was a plant physiologist at a USDA Research Center back in the mid 60's when he got a call from the people building the Astrodome. They wanted advice on how to have a natural grass surface in an indoor stadium. He gave them his advice. "I can't be done". They didn't listen and went ahead with their plans to have special "indoor grass" planted. Unfortunately the grass made it rain inside, the translucent ceiling made the lighting bad, and the grass all died within a month. The teams played on dead grass and dirt painted green for the first season while they came up with a solution. Astroturf.
    • Thursday night the Rangers are playing the Red Sox in Fenway Park and Rangers pitcher Mike Minor started the game having 191 strikeouts in 191 innings pitched this season. For both teams this was a ‘meaningless game.’

The Ranger manager keeps Minor in till the ninth inning, even though he is over his usual pitch count. One out in the ninth, Minor has reached 199 season strikeouts and then this happens…

youtube.com/watch?v=ChSwX58sz3g

The Rangers intentially let the ball drop to give Minor another crack at 200 strikeouts. On the next pitch Minor struck the batter out and reached his milestone.

Comments from Boston baseball purists have not been kind. Word is Sox manager Alex Cora was more than a little upset by this…

Letting the ball drop does seem bush league to me. What do you think? Fair play or foul
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Thursday night the Rangers are playing the Red Sox in Fenway Park and Rangers pitcher Mike Minor started the game having 191 strikeouts in 191 innings pitched this season. For both teams this was a ‘meaningless game.’

The Ranger manager keeps Minor in till the ninth inning, even though he is over his usual pitch count. One out in the ninth, Minor has reached 199 season strikeouts and then this happens…

youtube.com/watch?v=ChSwX58sz3g

The Rangers intentially let the ball drop to give Minor another crack at 200 strikeouts. On the next pitch Minor struck the batter out and reached his milestone.

Comments from Boston baseball purists have not been kind. Word is Sox manager Alex Cora was more than a little upset by this…

Letting the ball drop does seem bush league to me. What do you think? Fair play or foul
      Foul, definitely bush league.

Yeah he has 200 strikeouts, but he doesn't deserve it.
    • bush league.

i know the game didn't mean anything, but with a 7-5 score but giving the batter an extra swing coulda changed the outcome. i might have given them a pass if they were up by 10 runs or so.

the fact that he has had arm problems adds "stupid" to the whole thing.

any chance the commish addresses this and throws out some fines?
      2,000 miler
    • Contrast the Mike Minor story with what happened 78 years ago tomorrow. Ted Williams had a .39955 batting average going into the last day of the Red Sox season. Manager Joe Cronin is said to have offered Williams the option of sitting out the double-header scheduled that day to preserve his .400 batting average (when rounded). Teddy Ballgame would have none of that.

Williams played that day and went 6 for 8 in the double header to raise his average to an incredible .406. He was the last MLB player to break the .400 mark. His relationship with the fans and the press was at times strained, but no-one ever questioned his love of the game. He played it right.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • How many people know that Ted Williams was inducted in two Halls of Fame?

Williams is in the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY and also the International Game Fishing Association (IGFA) Hall of Fame in Dania Beach, Florida.

I've heard it said that Ted Williams was a great fisherman who also played a little Baseball :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

just saw this about the mike minor fiasco.

according to this article the red sox didn't exactly play the game the right way either.

i thot this was an interesting read.

deadspin.com/red-sox-and-range…ontent=link&ICID=ref_fark
      2 wrongs still don't make a right. :(
      3 wrongs if you buy the premise that the ump called strike 3 on a pitch outside of the strike zone becasue he was tired of watching the farce of a game before him.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

Hey and at least the Astros and Braves are still playing meaningful baseball into October and don't have to worry about shenanigans like this.
      Actually I have to sort of take that back. In 3.5 games against the Angles this weekend series (Thur-Sun) Alex Bregman was "pseudo intentionally" walked 7 times (twice a game, probably would have been 10 times if left in Sunday's game). While Bregman did lead MLB in walks this year with 119, that should have projected to just 2 or 3. Considering how Brad Ausmus handled the Marisnick/Lucroy situation (and knowing him probably still bitter about not getting hired by the Astros for his first Managers job), I would not be surprised if there was an "even if Mike Trout misses a month of the season, we still are not going to pitch to Bregman and help his chances of winning the MVP award". :thumbdown:
    • Rob Manford has now shown that Bud Selig did not have to allow steroids to rewrite the record books.

You just need to change how the baseballs are made.

Interesting since everything in youth/college baseball lately has been about how we can deaden the bats for just the opposite effect.
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Hey the tigers are only 53.5 games out of first. Is there still time?
      As the Cubs fans taught us for a century, there is always next year. :)
      Since I live about equal distance between the Comerica and Wrigley, I'm equally cursed.

At least the Tigers got it over with early. The Cubs waited until September to break our hearts.

Since I'm a map geek, I had to look it up. Wrigley is 33 miles closer than Comerica as the bird flies. But since there is a big lake in the way, Comerica is 8 miles (and 25 minutes) closer by car. But then I noticed that the Brewers stadium is actually 4 miles closer than Wrigley. So the Brewers would be my closest MLB stadium, but who cares about the Brewers????
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Since I live about equal distance between the Comerica and Wrigley, I'm equally cursed.
      At least the Tigers got it over with early. The Cubs waited until September to break our hearts.

Since I'm a map geek, I had to look it up. Wrigley is 33 miles closer than Comerica as the bird flies. But since there is a big lake in the way, Comerica is 8 miles (and 25 minutes) closer by car. But then I noticed that the Brewers stadium is actually 4 miles closer than Wrigley. So the Brewers would be my closest MLB stadium, but who cares about the Brewers????
      But hey they got hot after their MVP got hurt and made it the playoffs. :D
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Since I live about equal distance between the Comerica and Wrigley, I'm equally cursed.At least the Tigers got it over with early. The Cubs waited until September to break our hearts.

i hate the brewers since their fans gave braun a standing o after he came back from his drug suspension.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Since I live about equal distance between the Comerica and Wrigley, I'm equally cursed.At least the Tigers got it over with early. The Cubs waited until September to break our hearts.
      i hate the brewers since their fans gave braun a standing o after he came back from his drug suspension.
      Don't you remember, it was the FedEx guy's fault. :rolleyes:
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Since I live about equal distance between the Comerica and Wrigley, I'm equally cursed.At least the Tigers got it over with early. The Cubs waited until September to break our hearts.Since I'm a map geek, I had to look it up. Wrigley is 33 miles closer than Comerica as the bird flies. But since there is a big lake in the way, Comerica is 8 miles (and 25 minutes) closer by car. But then I noticed that the Brewers stadium is actually 4 miles closer than Wrigley. So the Brewers would be my closest MLB stadium, but who cares about the Brewers????
      Don't you remember, it was the FedEx guy's fault. :rolleyes:
      i know; that's what i hated the most about the braun case.
      2,000 miler
    • the tampa bay express to the world series begins tonight!!!

braves-rays subway series! the tv ratings will be monster (at least in my house)!

on my last drive to tucson i listened to satellite radio morning to night on the 2.5 day drive out there. EVERY talking head was of the opinion that the twins would have the best record in the AL becasue of the division they play in. for some reason i haven't a single person admit they were wrong -- i guess they think we won't remember what they said...

and while i'm talking -- i think it's neat that washington is still playing basedall even though they lost the $300 million man.

and how can baseball teams find $300 million in the budget to pay a single player -- yet have to steal similar sums from taxpayers to build their stadiums?
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• Nationals owner blew it when he vetoed 2018 deadline trade of Harper to Astros. That 2 month rental might have made a difference last year, but now I am glad we still had those prospects on hand to make the Greinke deal.

Nationals doing fine without the $300 million dollar man now, but those prospects are worth more than 1 compensation pick and the revenue last year from 2 more months of Harper.
    • Astro wrote:

Braves bullpen closes this one out to even series 1-1. First game was clutch hitting or choking relievers depending on your perspective. :)
      first game also featured lack of hustle by acuna who was benched during a regular season game after doing the same thing. this was not the first time acuna hit a 320 ft single.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Braves bullpen closes this one out to even series 1-1. First game was clutch hitting or choking relievers depending on your perspective. :)
      first game also featured lack of hustle by acuna who was benched during a regular season game after doing the same thing. this was not the first time acuna hit a 320 ft single.
      Talent is an awesome thing to have, but at some point you have to grow up. :rolleyes:
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Alex Bregman has 7 post season Home Runs, all off All-Star pitchers. No wonder he led MLB in walks despite being in arguably the best lineup in baseball.
      neat stat.
      maybe the secret to getting bregman out is using your worst pitchers and not your best... :)
      Maybe it is the letter B, but reminds me of Larry Bird in basketball and Tom Brady in football. Always full of confidence and able to perform when the stakes are the highest. :thumbup: