Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The town I grew up in is like that, all the little woodlots and fields that we use to play in are gone, condos and houses and such.

I now live further out from the city. Still some woods here, but all the private land is being developed. None of the kids in this town seem to play in the woods anyway. They are too busy on their smart phones, or playing video games. They stay indoors, they being raised as human veal.

Of course it is wrong to criticize my brother without looking at the mote in my own eye. I fought against getting my children phones and video games when they were growing up, of course I eventually lost out to my wife who did not want them to become social misfits like their dad.

The results...
      Oldest daughter: Lives in Vermont, modern age hippie, zen with nature. I think it turned out well because I was able to hold out the longest with her.
      Middle daughter: Finishing up college. Likes the physical challenge of hiking. She has a different motivation than me, but I am glad to see she gets out in the woods sometimes.
      Youngest son: Physically active with sports, but never walks in the woods. Addicted to his phone. I worry the most about him.

I am afraid once they are hooked, there is no cure.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • We didn't have a sand lot for baseball, but did have some wooded empty lots we would play in. We would build "forts", which were piles of dead branches. Using clippers for trimming trees, we would hollow out an area in the middle of the pile where we could hide out. When built near the edge of the wood lot, you could hide in there and watch people go by on the the street but they could not see you. Very exciting.
    • not exactly baseball...

just finished a short (3.5 mile) walk around the soccer fields. on the last soccer field there was a spirited game of coed kickball going on by a bunch of teenagers (which was probably the last time i played). home plate was right on the corner, so there was no doubt where the first and third baselines and foul lines were. smart thinking! i really wanted to ditch the walking and join them.

oh yeah...the cutie playing first smiled at me when i passed by the first time. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

not exactly baseball...

just finished a short (3.5 mile) walk around the soccer fields. on the last soccer field there was a spirited game of coed kickball going on by a bunch of teenagers (which was probably the last time i played). home plate was right on the corner, so there was no doubt where the first and third baselines and foul lines were. smart thinking! i really wanted to ditch the walking and join them.

oh yeah...the cutie playing first smiled at me when i passed by the first time. :)
      "first time", how many return trips did you make? ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • curt schilling had a major league career spanning 20 years with 5 different teams. he spent the most time and won the most games with the phillies, but is probably most remembered for the time he spent with the red sox.

so curt...what ball cap ya gonna choose to wear on your bronze plaque if ya get elected to the HOF?

[IMG:https://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/schilling2.jpg?w=628]
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

curt schilling had a major league career spanning 20 years with 5 different teams. he spent the most time and won the most games with the phillies, but is probably most remembered for the time he spent with the red sox.

so curt...what ball cap ya gonna choose to wear on your bronze plaque if ya get elected to the HOF?

[IMG:https://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/schilling2.jpg?w=628]
      And unfortunately that is why he is not in yet, and probably will not make it this time either. Constantly coming up big against the "beloved NY Yankees" probably hurts him with some sportswriters also.

Bloody sock and winning big when it mattered most for multiple teams should be what gets him in.

My only regret is that he did not get his act together until after the Astros traded him to the Philly.
    • This is the 2019 HOF Ballot. The most you can vote for is 10.

Rick Ankiel
      Jason Bay
      Lance Berkman
      Barry Bonds
      Roger Clemens
      Freddy García
      Jon Garland
      Travis Hafner
      Roy Halladay
      Todd Helton
      Andruw Jones
      Jeff Kent
      Ted Lilly
      Derek Lowe
      Edgar Martínez
      Fred McGriff
      Mike Mussina
      Darren Oliver
      Roy Oswalt
      Andy Pettitte
      Juan Pierre
      Plácido Polanco
      Manny Ramirez
      Mariano Rivera
      Scott Rolen
      Curt Schilling
      Gary Sheffield
      Sammy Sosa
      Miguel Tejada
      Omar Vizquel
      Billy Wagner
      Larry Walker
      Vernon Wells
      Kevin Youkilis
      Michael Young
    • max.patch wrote:

babe ruth, ty cobb, willie mays, and hank aaron demand a recount of their HOF ballots.
      There was a small-time baseball writer who was going to leave Rivera off his ballot. Fortunately, other writers talked some sense in him. It would have been a douchey thing to do.

boston.com/sports/mlb/2019/01/22/mariano-rivera-hall-of-fame

Clearly there were douchey writers in Ruth, Mays, and Aaron's time too.

The biggest sin remaining is that Pete Rose is not in the HOF. Good God, are they really going to wait until that man dies to do the right thing?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

babe ruth, ty cobb, willie mays, and hank aaron demand a recount of their HOF ballots.
      There was a small-time baseball writer who was going to leave Rivera off his ballot. Fortunately, other writers talked some sense in him. It would have been a douchey thing to do.
      boston.com/sports/mlb/2019/01/22/mariano-rivera-hall-of-fame

The biggest sin remaining is that Pete Rose is not in the HOF. Good God, are they really going to wait until that man dies to do the right thing?
      I'm gonna say they ARE doing the right thing for major league baseball. Rose broke a rule that's been around for many years. every player, coach, etc. knows about it. If you bet on games you get banned. period. We all know Rose has the numbers to be in the HOF, but to make an exception for him would be stupid, IMO. It's one rule that has worked in baseball. We don't hear of players, coaches, etc. betting on games because they know they'll get banned. Perhaps if the anti doping rules had the same outcome we might just have had a cleaner game without the cheating likes of Bonds and such other trash. I love baseball, but I despise those that think they are above the rules.
    • chief wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

There was a small-time baseball writer who was going to leave Rivera off his ballot. Fortunately, other writers talked some sense in him. It would have been a douchey thing to do.boston.com/sports/mlb/2019/01/22/mariano-rivera-hall-of-fame

I'm gonna say they ARE doing the right thing for major league baseball. Rose broke a rule that's been around for many years. every player, coach, etc. knows about it. If you bet on games you get banned. period. We all know Rose has the numbers to be in the HOF, but to make an exception for him would be stupid, IMO. It's one rule that has worked in baseball. We don't hear of players, coaches, etc. betting on games because they know they'll get banned. Perhaps if the anti doping rules had the same outcome we might just have had a cleaner game without the cheating likes of Bonds and such other trash. I love baseball, but I despise those that think they are above the rules.
      Wow, that is at least one thing cheif and I totally agree on. :)
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

There was a small-time baseball writer who was going to leave Rivera off his ballot. Fortunately, other writers talked some sense in him. It would have been a douchey thing to do.boston.com/sports/mlb/2019/01/22/mariano-rivera-hall-of-fame

Who is this cheif guy?
    • chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

There was a small-time baseball writer who was going to leave Rivera off his ballot. Fortunately, other writers talked some sense in him. It would have been a douchey thing to do.boston.com/sports/mlb/2019/01/22/mariano-rivera-hall-of-fameClearly there were douchey writers in Ruth, Mays, and Aaron's time too.

Who is this cheif guy?
      Sorry about that "chief".
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

There was a small-time baseball writer who was going to leave Rivera off his ballot. Fortunately, other writers talked some sense in him. It would have been a douchey thing to do.boston.com/sports/mlb/2019/01/22/mariano-rivera-hall-of-fameClearly there were douchey writers in Ruth, Mays, and Aaron's time too.
      Who is this cheif guy?
      NP!
    • in the state where the residents still write checks to buy stamps (wish i could take credit for that but i can't) the tampa bay rays tropicana field -- my fav place to catch a game -- is going to become the first cashless venue in north america.

those that don't have credit/debit/electronic means of payment can buy gift cards using cash from the souvenir shops and and roving vendors to use when paying for their beer and hot dogs.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Who is this cheif guy?
      I dont know why I can never, ever get it right, but I always spell thier wrong.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • One change in terminology was announced. Deputy commissioner Dan Halem said MLB is changing the name of its disabled lists to injured lists at the suggestion of advocacy groups for the disabled.

today the "disabled list".

tomorrow the atlanta braves and cleveland indians announce their new nicknames.

braves games aren't the same without chief noc-a-homa doing his war dance outside his tee pee in the outfield stands.

savannahnow.com/storyimage/GA/…868/AR/0/AR-305269868.jpg
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

One change in terminology was announced. Deputy commissioner Dan Halem said MLB is changing the name of its disabled lists to injured lists at the suggestion of advocacy groups for the disabled.

today the "disabled list".

tomorrow the atlanta braves and cleveland indians announce their new nicknames.

braves games aren't the same without chief noc-a-homa doing his war dance outside his tee pee in the outfield stands.

savannahnow.com/storyimage/GA/…868/AR/0/AR-305269868.jpg
      IL just doesn't have the same sound as DL does.
    • odd man out wrote:

How about a shout out to Frank Robinson. I was a kid growing up in MD when he came to Baltimore and along with the other Robinson (Brooks) went to four World Series in six years (winning two). gif.014.gif

espn.com/video/clip?id=25946086
      How about a shout out to Frank Robinson. I was a kid growing up in MD when he came to Baltimore and along with the other Robinson (Brooks) went to four World Series in six years (winning two). gif.014.gif
      Red's.GM shippede him out for Milt Pappas because "he was an old 30". Frank showed him by winning the triple crown and taking Orioles to 4 World Series.
      In Little League I had a Frank Robinson glove. :thumbup:
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Very interesting that they Leo Durocher played the manager. But I guess Walter Alston wasn't interested, and Leo had managed the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 40s, and was married to a movie star.
      i gotta admit i didn't catch that detail.
      He was a Dodger coach at the time, between Giant and Astro manager jobs. He managed some great center fielder's in Duke Snider, Willie Mays, and Ceasar Cedeno. Last one might have made HOF too if he hadn't murdered his wife.
    • I had a Sandy Kofax glove. Dad wanted me to be a pitcher, but with no arm, that wasn't going to happen. At the first practice coach put me at SS. He hit a hard grounder to third, I made a great pickup on full run on my backhand side. Turned to throw to first from shallow left field and the ball didn't get past the pitchers mound. Coach points to me and say "you play second". Unfortunately I had a lifetime batting average of 0.000.
    • Now that Bryce Harper has signed with the Phillies the Washington Nationals owner should feel like an idiot. Lunhow and Rizzo had a deal worked out in July for him to go to the Astros for our top catching prospect and one of our top pitching prospects, but Nats owner cancelled it at the last minute. :(

Now Nationals a few million dollars poorer with nothing to show. Astros missed out on a bat to cover for the injured Altuve and Correa, which would have really helped against Boston. But at least we still have our prospects as a consolation. :)