Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I don't care for the Diamonbacks uniforms, because to me the dark grey does not look like baseball player pants. But I can see how it could be advantageous giving the hitter the impression there are seven infielders.
      Images
      • IMG_20180916_135909678_HDR.jpg

114.35 kB, 800×450, viewed 209 times
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • how to save baseball before it becomes unwatchable by john smoltz.

usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/…-split-season/1357842002/

<snip>

Smoltz wants to eliminate the shift (“I think it’s single-handedly killing the game), curtail the relentless use of relievers, stop the exploitation of the disabled list, but most of all, revolutionize the schedule.

Smoltz proposes that MLB adopt a split-season schedule, just as they do in the minor leagues, in a move that he believes will create dramatic division races again, reduce the number of teams tanking for draft picks, and make baseball great again in September.

It’s time, he says, for teams to go back to playing the same schedule, eliminate interleague play, dump the rival series, and have old-fashioned pennant races, doubling the pleasure with one in each half of the season.

“I don’t understand how a sport can play at least twice as many games as any other,’’ Smoltz says, “and not have the same schedule. It’s mind-boggling to me.
      “Don’t play interleague leagues. Don’t choose rivalries. Don’t manipulate the schedule. Just play everyone the same.’’
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

how to save baseball before it becomes unwatchable by john smoltz.

usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/…-split-season/1357842002/

<snip>

Smoltz wants to eliminate the shift (“I think it’s single-handedly killing the game), curtail the relentless use of relievers, stop the exploitation of the disabled list, but most of all, revolutionize the schedule.

Smoltz proposes that MLB adopt a split-season schedule, just as they do in the minor leagues, in a move that he believes will create dramatic division races again, reduce the number of teams tanking for draft picks, and make baseball great again in September.

It’s time, he says, for teams to go back to playing the same schedule, eliminate interleague play, dump the rival series, and have old-fashioned pennant races, doubling the pleasure with one in each half of the season.

“I don’t understand how a sport can play at least twice as many games as any other,’’ Smoltz says, “and not have the same schedule. It’s mind-boggling to me.
      “Don’t play interleague leagues. Don’t choose rivalries. Don’t manipulate the schedule. Just play everyone the same.’’
      Disagree with the first two, but all for getting rid of interleague play and having a balanced schedule.
    • Not exactly sure what a split schedule is, and I didn't even realize teams were not playing balanced schedules.

As for the shift, I don't know why hitters don't just heed the advice made famous by Willie Keeler (HOF Class of 1939):
      “Keep your eye on the ball and hit ‘em where they ain’t."

I'm also not keen on the current Wild Card format. I do like having Wild Card Teams making the playoffs as it makes September games more relevant for more teams. But I don't like the single game playoff between the two Wild Card teams. Winning a one-game playoffs "series" is too random. On the other hand, I would not want a series that extends the series into November. In fact, I would like to see a schedule that would allow all playoffs to be done before the end of October. Baseball in the snow is just wrong.
    • max.patch wrote:

will the voters have the cojones to give the cy young award to a pitcher with an 8-8 record on a team that isn't going anywhere?

they should.
      degrom just set a record -- 23 straight quality starts (at least six innings pitched and three earned runs or fewer allowed). bob gibson and chris carpenter previously shared the record. even picked up his 9th win. has a shot for double digits against the braves in a couple days. hope he gets it.

he also has 28 straight starts giving up 3 runs or less. he already has that record -- just keeps making the record bigger every start.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

will the voters have the cojones to give the cy young award to a pitcher with an 8-8 record on a team that isn't going anywhere?

they should.
      degrom just set a record -- 23 straight quality starts (at least six innings pitched and three earned runs or fewer allowed). bob gibson and chris carpenter previously shared the record. even picked up his 9th win. has a shot for double digits against the braves in a couple days. hope he gets it.
      he also has 28 straight starts giving up 3 runs or less. he already has that record -- just keeps making the record bigger every start.
      24 straight quality starts...

after 6 1/2 innings its mets 1, braves 0. degroms stats after 7 innings: 0 runs, 2 hits, 0 bb, 8 k's.
      2,000 miler
    • i think run differential is a stat that doesn't get as much attention as it should; houston +263 is clearly the best in baseball followed by boston at +224. the yankees are third at +187 and the differences start to narrow at that point.

atlanta at +107 is third in the NL, behind the cubs at +114 and and the dodgers at +172.

of course, playoff baseball is sooo much different than regular season baseball so...

the orioles are incredible -270 much worse than miami at -218.
      2,000 miler
    • chief wrote:

as of tonight - clinched nl east, 90 wins, 20 over.500, how did that happen? braves are definitely ahead of schedule. I don't even care how far they go in post season play (though I reserve the right to change my mind).
      A few years back I tried to tell all of the Braves fans they were on the right path, although it might be painful. A few teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers can afford to reload. Other smart teams know they need to rebuild. Sometimes worse thing you can do is just continuing to pay high salaries to just be mediocre. This is especially true after you had some success like going to or winning a World Series. Astros and Phillies are good past examples. Current prime examples are the SF Giants and Texas Rangers. :)
    • i don't have to time to scan the standings, but i feel safe in saying that the braves going from 18 games under .500 last year to 20 games over this year -- a 38 game improvement -- has to be the best in baseball.

the team i've seen the next most games in person -- tampa bay -- has an 18 game improvement from last year. gotta love games in the trop!
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

as of tonight - clinched nl east, 90 wins, 20 over.500, how did that happen? braves are definitely ahead of schedule. I don't even care how far they go in post season play (though I reserve the right to change my mind).
      A few years back I tried to tell all of the Braves fans they were on the right path, although it might be painful. A few teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers can afford to reload. Other smart teams know they need to rebuild. Sometimes worse thing you can do is just continuing to pay high salaries to just be mediocre. This is especially true after you had some success like going to or winning a World Series. Astros and Phillies are good past examples. Current prime examples are the SF Giants and Texas Rangers. :)
      all us braves fans shout a collective DUH!
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

that may be true -- but i'd sure like to have craig kimbrel back.

whatta ya say, scotty?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i don't have to time to scan the standings, but i feel safe in saying that the braves going from 18 games under .500 last year to 20 games over this year -- a 38 game improvement -- has to be the best in baseball.

the team i've seen the next most games in person -- tampa bay -- has an 18 game improvement from last year. gotta love games in the trop!
      Which in some ways the Rays was more impressive even if they missed the playoffs this year. The Rays spent the off season and Spring Training doing what some called selling off and letting talent go (such as Evan Longoria, Alex Cobb, Cory Dickerson, Ordozzi, Colome, ect..). But what they were actually doing was offloading overpriced contracts (and not creating new ones) and bringing younger talent at better values. On Wall Street they call that selling high and buying low (which is where there ownership came from). It has gotten them to World Series before.

Now on a side note having better attendance could also help them keep there window open longer when they do peak again. :)
    • max.patch wrote:

i came across this when looking for the above video.

bartman was also at a game in april.
      this time he screwed up a home run.

Same guy caught an Astro home run later this year. He waited and did NOT interfere this time. :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• max.patch wrote:

whatta ya say, scotty?
      At the time both the Braves and Padres traded him I was wishing the Astros had made a deal for him. But I don't know with that goofy pre-windup stance he does. He is very effective, but I might have had to turn the TV off in 9th and just listen on radio. :)
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

whatta ya say, scotty?
      At the time both the Braves and Padres traded him I was wishing the Astros had made a deal for him. But I don't know with that goofy pre-windup stance he does. He is very effective, but I might have had to turn the TV off in 9th and just listen on radio. :)
      it works -- but I hated watching it too!
      2,000 miler
    • odd man out wrote:

It looks like all 4 teams tied for a division championship in the NL are winning in blowouts. Nothing like a little motivation against a team with nothing to play for.

Cubs 10 Cards 7 Top 7th
      Brewers 10 Tikers 0 Bottom 8th
      Dodgers 15 Giants 0 Final
      Rockies 12 Nats O FFinal
      So the real winners are the Atlanta Braves and MLB fans in general. :thumbup:
    • chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

You can say duh now, but back in May you were hopeful, but still doubtful. And in the past years before that whining about how bad they were.
      But they are back in the playoffs with a division title, so congratulations and enjoy it. And there should more good years to follow.
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

You can say duh now, but back in May you were hopeful, but still doubtful. And in the past years before that whining about how bad they were.But they are back in the playoffs with a division title, so congratulations and enjoy it. And there should more good years to follow.
      what, you looked up my previous posts on the subject? maybe you should change your name to butt hurt professor.
    • mr.consistency...

Athletics outfielder Khris Davis recorded his fourth-straight season with a .247 batting average, setting a record that's as bizarre as it is remarkable.

Davis went 0-for-2 to end the season 142-for-576, producing an average of .247. That's the same clip he posted in 2015, 2016 and 2017. However, Davis is batting a career .248 because of a .279 average in his rookie season with the Brewers and a .244 in 2014.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

2 national league tiebreakers tomorrow...

win -- ya make the playoffs

lose -- ya make the playoffs

yawn.

i still remember watching the 1978 new york - boston tiebreaker with bucky f'ing dent...

i'll forget tomorrows tiebreakers by wednesday.
      While I agree not as significant as 1978. But if you win you are home team for a 5 game series. If you lose, must win an elimination game for chance to be road team in 5 game series.
    • chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

You can say duh now, but back in May you were hopeful, but still doubtful. And in the past years before that whining about how bad they were.But they are back in the playoffs with a division title, so congratulations and enjoy it. And there should more good years to follow.
      what, you looked up my previous posts on the subject? maybe you should change your name to butt hurt professor.
      Oh well, some of us have "class", and others like yourself seem to like to show you are a couple of letters short. :rolleyes:
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

Oh well, some of us have "class", and others like yourself seem to like to show you are a couple of letters short. :rolleyes:
      you so clever!
    • So here's something to watch in the playoff games. If the Brewers Yelich has a great game, he can win the first NL tripple crown in 81 years. Of course if he does, will he get another asterisk since he had one extra game to do it? Division playoff games count in regular season stats, but other post season playoffs don't.

google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports…le-crown-in-81-years/amp/
    • max.patch wrote:

since sweeping the astros in 2001, the braves have lost 8 consecutive playoff series.

the dodgers make it 9.
      That is the way it looks on paper (or now days on the computer ^^ ), but you never know until they play the games.
      Key thing is they are getting valuable playoff experience and they are built for the future, regardless of how far they make it this year.
    • i've always hated the fact that television dictates the time (and sometimes the day!) of sporting events.

but this is ridiculous...

television has given the red sox - yankees playoff ALL the prime time games.

television has given the astros - indians playoff NONE of the prime time games.

ya gotta root for a short red sox - yankees series and a long astros - indians series if ya hope to see the astros - indians in prime time.

funny that the defending world series champs aren't considered important enough for prime time.

hopefully i'll get to see the red sox and astros settle this thing in a week or so.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i've always hated the fact that television dictates the time (and sometimes the day!) of sporting events.

but this is ridiculous...

television has given the red sox - yankees playoff ALL the prime time games.

television has given the astros - indians playoff NONE of the prime time games.

ya gotta root for a short red sox - yankees series and a long astros - indians series if ya hope to see the astros - indians in prime time.

funny that the defending world series champs aren't considered important enough for prime time.

hopefully i'll get to see the red sox and astros settle this thing in a week or so.
      The bias is ridiculous, you have to really be a "Yankees fan" to be a Yankees fan.
    • don't feel too bad for david price.

he can always go home and count his money -- $217 million over 7 years.

richest player in red sox history...

while i'm at it...

i can't stand john sterling. and sirius/xm is replaying his home run call over and over and over again at every sports update. has nothing to do with the yankees -- i thot he was a hack when he covered the braves back in the 80's.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

don't feel too bad for david price.

he can always go home and count his money -- $217 million over 7 years.

richest player in red sox history...

while i'm at it...

i can't stand john sterling. and sirius/xm is replaying his home run call over and over and over again at every sports update. has nothing to do with the yankees -- i thot he was a hack when he covered the braves back in the 80's.
      David Price obviously doesn't handle pressure well, but not a bad person from what I have seen. His success in the regular season has made him a wealthy man, and he still gets to do for living what many dream of. The only time I really had a problem with him was when he was taking on Dennis Eckersly last summer. But in that case even though I thought he was wrong, I believe he did it because he was trying to "be a good teammate".

I'd agree that John Sterling is much more of jerk. I rather see him take shots at his own Mr. April (A-Rod).
    • as a kinda sorta tampa bay fan, i like david price and was disappointed when the tigers traded for him for their stretch run. i hate that our culture has decided that professional athletes are "worth" $30 million dollars a year for playing a game -- and really hate it when they they don't earn their money.
      2,000 miler
    • i hate to pick on baseball -- but the owners have made sooo many bad decisions that's it's easy to do so. here's my latest complaint...

there is no way that the current playoff series should be only 5 games.

baseball needs to so whatever needs to be done to make this a 7 game series -- start the season earlier, get rid of the wild card game, shorten the season -- whatever it takes!
      2,000 miler