Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I don't care for the Diamonbacks uniforms, because to me the dark grey does not look like baseball player pants. But I can see how it could be advantageous giving the hitter the impression there are seven infielders.
      Images
      • IMG_20180916_135909678_HDR.jpg

114.35 kB, 800×450, viewed 7 times
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

how to save baseball before it becomes unwatchable by john smoltz.

usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/…-split-season/1357842002/

<snip>

Smoltz wants to eliminate the shift (“I think it’s single-handedly killing the game), curtail the relentless use of relievers, stop the exploitation of the disabled list, but most of all, revolutionize the schedule.

Smoltz proposes that MLB adopt a split-season schedule, just as they do in the minor leagues, in a move that he believes will create dramatic division races again, reduce the number of teams tanking for draft picks, and make baseball great again in September.

It’s time, he says, for teams to go back to playing the same schedule, eliminate interleague play, dump the rival series, and have old-fashioned pennant races, doubling the pleasure with one in each half of the season.

“I don’t understand how a sport can play at least twice as many games as any other,’’ Smoltz says, “and not have the same schedule. It’s mind-boggling to me.
      “Don’t play interleague leagues. Don’t choose rivalries. Don’t manipulate the schedule. Just play everyone the same.’’
      2,000 miler
    • New

max.patch wrote:

how to save baseball before it becomes unwatchable by john smoltz.

usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/…-split-season/1357842002/

<snip>

Smoltz wants to eliminate the shift (“I think it’s single-handedly killing the game), curtail the relentless use of relievers, stop the exploitation of the disabled list, but most of all, revolutionize the schedule.

Smoltz proposes that MLB adopt a split-season schedule, just as they do in the minor leagues, in a move that he believes will create dramatic division races again, reduce the number of teams tanking for draft picks, and make baseball great again in September.

It’s time, he says, for teams to go back to playing the same schedule, eliminate interleague play, dump the rival series, and have old-fashioned pennant races, doubling the pleasure with one in each half of the season.

“I don’t understand how a sport can play at least twice as many games as any other,’’ Smoltz says, “and not have the same schedule. It’s mind-boggling to me.
      “Don’t play interleague leagues. Don’t choose rivalries. Don’t manipulate the schedule. Just play everyone the same.’’
      Disagree with the first two, but all for getting rid of interleague play and having a balanced schedule.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

Not exactly sure what a split schedule is, and I didn't even realize teams were not playing balanced schedules.

As for the shift, I don't know why hitters don't just heed the advice made famous by Willie Keeler (HOF Class of 1939):
      “Keep your eye on the ball and hit ‘em where they ain’t."

I'm also not keen on the current Wild Card format. I do like having Wild Card Teams making the playoffs as it makes September games more relevant for more teams. But I don't like the single game playoff between the two Wild Card teams. Winning a one-game playoffs "series" is too random. On the other hand, I would not want a series that extends the series into November. In fact, I would like to see a schedule that would allow all playoffs to be done before the end of October. Baseball in the snow is just wrong.
    • New

max.patch wrote:

will the voters have the cojones to give the cy young award to a pitcher with an 8-8 record on a team that isn't going anywhere?

they should.
      degrom just set a record -- 23 straight quality starts (at least six innings pitched and three earned runs or fewer allowed). bob gibson and chris carpenter previously shared the record. even picked up his 9th win. has a shot for double digits against the braves in a couple days. hope he gets it.

he also has 28 straight starts giving up 3 runs or less. he already has that record -- just keeps making the record bigger every start.
      2,000 miler