Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Every location i’ve lived in with a major sports team had the same issue. The arena the Salt Lake Jazz play within is privately owned but most recently received a 22.5 million dollar property tax break. However my property tax just increased 11%
      That seems about as inconsistent as a team called the Jazz being in Utah.
      As most likely you know, the Jazz came from New Orleans.

Most recently I read an open letter from a NO resident asking for the return of the Jazz name. I’m surprised team ownership did not consider the request as the action would generate additional revenue in merchandise sales featuring the name change.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • uncle meat wrote:

Astro wrote:

Well I guess it now all comes down to Game 7. :)
      makes for an exciting finish, and all that much sweeter a win! Good luck.
      • Thanks, it is my favorite team for the first 35 years of my life against the favorite team of my sons and the last 20 or so years of my life. So regardless something good is going to happen. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

be a great story if the astros win it all; sports illustrated came out with this cover in 2014 and the astros were in last place in the AL west at the time AND had finished in last place the previous 3 years losing over 100 games each time.

[IMG:https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/10464218_10154263320520431_6241616349984624771_n.jpg]
      Well Sports Illustrated got it right. And on top of that George Springer was the MVP of the World Series.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• uncle meat wrote:

Astro, you gonna get a hat? Maybe you already have one. One of my regrets in life...not getting a Cowboys back to back Super Bowl hat, and the second, is that they didn’t win three in a row. :D that record would have stood for a long time.
      Probably just another T-shirt (or two). Already have a lot of hats. But I guess one more with World Champions wouldn't hurt. :)
    • Astro wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Astro, you gonna get a hat? Maybe you already have one. One of my regrets in life...not getting a Cowboys back to back Super Bowl hat, and the second, is that they didn’t win three in a row. :D that record would have stood for a long time.
      Probably just another T-shirt (or two). Already have a lot of hats. But I guess one more with World Champions wouldn't hurt. :)
      I didn’t realize Houston had never won a pennant before. Awesome!
    • sports fans are stupid. and i say that as a sports fan.

my favorite talk radio call that i heard on the way to the physical therapist today was from the guy who said that during game 6 he was watching darvish in the dugout and you could tell that he was so nervous thinking about having to pitch in a game 7 that it was obvious he was hoping that houston would win so that he wouldn't have to pitch in a pressure filled game 7.
      2,000 miler
    • uncle meat wrote:

O crap. I now have to put Meat on my ignore list ;) . A Cowboys fan? I grew up in DC in the '70s. The 'Skins and the Cowboys was the big rivalry. Not sure if that is still true or not, but it's hard to get over it.
    • odd man out wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

O crap. I now have to put Meat on my ignore list ;) . A Cowboys fan? I grew up in DC in the '70s. The 'Skins and the Cowboys was the big rivalry. Not sure if that is still true or not, but it's hard to get over it.
      Hey, if his wife (Redskins fan) can live with him, I sure you can find a way to deal with it too. :)
    • odd man out wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

I actually moved to Severna Park in the spring of ‘69 and in the fall to jersey, so at 7yrs. I was way confused, I was a Jim Palmer fan coming into jersey...’69 Mets territory, and I did a book report on Johnny Unitas...predominately a Jets kids neighborhood, my Pop eventually straighten me out, been a Cowboys fan ever since even after many a Black eye :thumbup: I still got my Orioles hat. I think Cowboys vs. Eagles is now the bigger rivalry, they don’t like each other much, Cowboys vs. Green Bay is another, but much respect there...always a fun game to watch.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Socks ().

• uncle meat wrote:

Astro wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

I have good friends whom are Cowboys fans...dedicated to the point whereby apparel is worn throughout the season including to Mass and Stars are on their pickups. Therefore it’s imperative I maintain allegiance to their weekly opponents.

Perhaps the most loyal fan I’ve witnessed was a sweet older lady partaking of brunch at an officer’s club each time the Cowboys played on Sunday. While sipping a mimosa, she'd either cheer or grouse on nearly every play throughout the game. Her most memorable complaint was ‘As you’re wearing Don Meredith’s number, you can’t drop passes’. Her husband meanwhile would quietly read the Sunday papers throughout the game.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Astro wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

I have good friends whom are Cowboys fans...dedicated to the point whereby apparel is worn throughout the season including to Mass and Stars are on their pickups. Therefore it’s imperative I maintain allegiance to their weekly opponents.
      Perhaps the most loyal fan I’ve witnessed was a sweet older lady partaking of brunch at an officer’s club each time the Cowboys played on Sunday. While sipping a mimosa, she'd either cheer or grouse on nearly every play throughout the game. Her most memorable complaint was ‘As you’re wearing Don Meredith’s number, you can’t drop passes’. Her husband meanwhile would quietly read the Sunday papers throughout the game.
      Cof124
      Here’s to Granny! :thumbsup:
    • roy halladay.

wife and a couple kids.

another small plane.

40 years old. career earnings of $149 million. coulda done anything he wanted the last half of his life. chose the wrong hobby.

this thing is described as a "jet ski with wings"

[IMG:https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/LxViIo9OzWOkCxvSnTh_Bw--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NzgxO2g9NTA2/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/67566dce4eaa5e1f7ece51e20afd2763]
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• roy halladay.

max.patch wrote:

wife and a couple kids.

another small plane.

40 years old. career earnings of $149 million. coulda done anything he wanted the last half of his life. chose the wrong hobby.

[IMG:https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/LxViIo9OzWOkCxvSnTh_Bw--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NzgxO2g9NTA2/http://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/67566dce4eaa5e1f7ece51e20afd2763]
      Died doing what he wanted to do, but sad in that I am sure he would have rather had more time with his wife and children.
    • max.patch wrote:

roy halladay.

wife and a couple kids.

another small plane.

just saw this story on the news, I didn’t realize the guy died, I thought he was just an investor, damn shame!
    • the only place that promotional video is gonna get played is on youtube -- halladay dies in the accident and his wife is on the video saying that she didn't want him to get the plane -- she fought him hard about it-- a real tragedy.

that's the second fatal crash in 6 months for this plane. halladay only had his license a year so pilot error immediately comes to mind. but the other fatality was the companies chief test pilot and aircraft designer (plus a passenger) -- pilot error not quite so obvious.

and there was another crash (pilot survived) in water last spring.

there are only 20 of these planes in existence...

i think this thing is being marketed kinda like it's a toy -- that'll certainly change once the feds get thru with em.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

the only place that promotional video is gonna get played is on youtube -- halladay dies in the accident and his wife is on the video saying that she didn't want him to get the plane -- she fought him hard about it-- a real tragedy.

that's the second fatal crash in 6 months for this plane. halladay only had his license a year so pilot error immediately comes to mind. but the other fatality was the companies chief test pilot and aircraft designer (plus a passenger) -- pilot error not quite so obvious.

and there was another crash (pilot survived) in water last spring.

there are only 20 of these planes in existence...

i think this thing is being marketed kinda like it's a toy -- that'll certainly change once the feds get thru with em.
      let's not short change Halladay on his qualifications:

a quick search of FAA pilot database returns the following:

HARRY LEROY HALLADAY III
      Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT
      Date of Issue: 11/16/2016
      Ratings:
      PRIVATE PILOT
      AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
      AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
      INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE
      Limits:
      ENGLISH PROFICIENT.
      SPORT ENDORSEMENT(S) AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE SEA.

according to his twitter account he got his private license originally in April 2014 (I think the FAA date above is when his license was last updated), he bought a Cessna 182 in 2014 and later in 2014 bought a Cessna caravan to use for longer trips (that's a turban aircraft - about 2.5 million new).

none of the above means the cause wasn't pilot error, but he certainly had enough training to do the right things. we'll see whether he did or not.

btw, I wasn't overly interested in this until I saw the news reports which seemed to suggest the Icon A5 was his first plane and I knew I had read a couple years ago he was using his plane to transport rescue dogs which I thought was cool. so I looked it up (don't know why reporters couldn't have spent 10 mins doing the same).
    • max.patch wrote:

hard to believe stat just read in sports illustrated.

among all 30 major league teams...

the astros (as batters) struck out the fewest times, and

the astros finished 2nd in home runs (only 3 behind the yankees).
      And that is after being one of the biggest strikeout teams in 2015. They made the playoffs that year, but we're exposed with better pitching (similar to 2017 Yankees). Since that time they went about replacing high strikeout guys (Carter, Castro, Villabeuno, Rasmus) with McCann, Gurriel, Bregman, and Reddick.
    • Brian McCann says he wants to finish his career back with the Atlanta Braves. I am sure the Astros will hang on to him for 2018 since the Yankees are paying a third of his salary (and they traded their top C prospect as part of the Verlander deal and Gattis should be the primary DH this year). But 2019 I could see him going back as a free agent, since the Braves rebuild should be at a point where they could use a veteran catcher with team ties. Made over $100m ($85m alone on the Yankee deal), so he should be able to afford giving a hometown discount. He is from Duluth, GA.

Here is to him handling our pitchers again, getting another ring, and going home to finish where he started. :thumbup:
    • As much as I’d prefer to see the Cubs get another ring, I’ll accept a repeat of the Astros due to their season long quality play and their tremendously exciting WS play.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC