Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

• New

odd man out wrote:

Screwy inning in the Cubs-Nats game. Top of 5th. Cubs have been down all game but have mounted a 2 out rally to take a one run lead with runners on 1st and 2nd. Two strikes. Batter swings and misses on a ball in the dirt. Ball goes through the catcher's legs and rolls to the screen. Runners advance and batter runs to 1st on dropped third strike. He beats the throw which is off line and goes into right field and runner scores from third. After the play there is a discussion among the umpires to decide if the fact that the batter's bat hit the catchers mask on his follow through is relevant (dead ball on catcher interference?). Ruling is not changed and the run counts. Later in the inning a bat hist the catcher's mitt in the middle of a swing but nothing is called. Then a batter is hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to score an insurance run.
      I missed this game. However your description was better than provided by the local newspaper.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • New

max.patch wrote:

and once we fix the salary cap problem, then we'll start with 4:37 minute 9 inning games that end just before 1:00 am.

and as bad as that was for us tv watchers -- what time did the fans get home?
      While I am opposed to wasting time due to "commercial" breaks, and pitching visits and changes along with batters stepping out can get excessive, I am all for watching more actual baseball.

I once went to a Saturday night Astro-Dodger game that went 22 innings. When the innings were somewhere in the teens my date said she was getting tired, so being a gentleman I offered to call her a cab (on second thought I could probably be better defined as a baseball fan).
      I was back in the Astrodome for the Sunday 1pm game that went 13 Innings. So I watched the equivalent of 4 games in less than 24 hours. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

and once we fix the salary cap problem, then we'll start with 4:37 minute 9 inning games that end just before 1:00 am.

While I am opposed to wasting time due to "commercial" breaks, and pitching visits and changes along with batters stepping out can get excessive, I am all for watching more actual baseball.
      I once went to a Saturday night Astro-Dodger game that went 22 innings. When the innings were somewhere in the teens my date said she was getting tired, so being a gentleman I offered to call her a cab (on second thought I could probably be better defined as a baseball fan).
      I was back in the Astrodome for the Sunday 1pm game that went 13 Innings. So I watched the equivalent of 4 games in less than 24 hours. :)
      lol -- were there any more dates with that young lady?
      2,000 miler
    • New

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

While I am opposed to wasting time due to "commercial" breaks, and pitching visits and changes along with batters stepping out can get excessive, I am all for watching more actual baseball.I once went to a Saturday night Astro-Dodger game that went 22 innings. When the innings were somewhere in the teens my date said she was getting tired, so being a gentleman I offered to call her a cab (on second thought I could probably be better defined as a baseball fan).
      lol -- were there any more dates with that young lady?
      Yes, but I do not believe anymore baseball games. Back then I had Rockets season tickets too (not as much of a risk going beyond time expected).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General