Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

Big day for the little man. Jose Altuve hits three home runs as the Astros beat the Red Sox 8-2 to take a 1-0 lead in the series. :thumbup:

Tommorow is fear the beard day (Dallas Kuechel).
      I knew you would be gloating after that game :) Dustin had a bad day but I think the real fault lies with Farrell for burning out Sele in September and then leaving him in that game.

We wills see what tomorrow brings.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Big day for the little man. Jose Altuve hits three home runs as the Astros beat the Red Sox 8-2 to take a 1-0 lead in the series. :thumbup:

Tommorow is fear the beard day (Dallas Kuechel).
      I knew you would be gloating after that game :) Dustin had a bad day but I think the real fault lies with Farrell for burning out Sele in September and then leaving him in that game.
      We wills see what tomorrow brings.
      Yeah, I was comfortable facing Sele today. Back in April to July (and perhaps even August) I would not have been.

Pedroia reminds of Beltran. Once a really great player, but now just a shell of it. One positive with him is that it may just be injuries and he could heal up. With Beltran I am afraid it is just age, and even Ponce DeLeon could not find the cure for that. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I remember watching a game that he was pitching, before we knew he was all coked up. The pitches he threw, his antics on the mound, he was sweating making weird faces.......I remember thinking..." ah damn, this kid is all coked up".... sure enough, he was........and he was done. That 86 Met staff could pitch!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

I remember watching a game that he was pitching, before we knew he was all coked up. The pitches he threw, his antics on the mound, he was sweating making weird faces.......I remember thinking..." ah damn, this kid is all coked up".... sure enough, he was........and he was done. That 86 Met staff could pitch!
      Same. My wife the Saint said, "what's wrong with him" well dear, that's what we call flyin'! :D
    • CoachLou wrote:

I remember watching a game that he was pitching, before we knew he was all coked up. The pitches he threw, his antics on the mound, he was sweating making weird faces.......I remember thinking..." ah damn, this kid is all coked up".... sure enough, he was........and he was done. That 86 Met staff could pitch!
      1986, one of the best World Series ever, at least in my life time. 1975 was another. Red Sox fans can't blame me. I was pulling for them in 75, but with the Mets in 86. So it wasn't my fault (either way), but great baseball regardless.
    • Astro, where are you brother? Red Sox Nation still has a pulse at least.

The much maligned David Price earned his pay today, shutting down MLBs most fearsome offensive team.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro, where are you brother? Red Sox Nation still has a pulse at least.

The much maligned David Price earned his pay today, shutting down MLBs most fearsome offensive team.
      Hats off to you and the Red Sox. You did what you had to do.

I just hope we get to play tomorrow, and don't get rained out.
    • IMScotty wrote:

Actually, rain would be a good thing tomorrow. Sale needs some rest :)
      At this point in the season I am fine with a Sale-Verlander match up. Although I feel good about the proposed Morton-Portcello tomorrow.

Of course neither starter made it out of the 3rd inning today. :rolleyes:
    • Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

At this point in the season I am fine with a Sale-Verlander match up. Although I feel good about the proposed Morton-Portcello tomorrow.
      Of course neither starter made it out of the 3rd inning today. :rolleyes:
      i missed the first half of the game so i'm not gonna comment -- but after the game the talkin heads sure hated the astro's pulling their starter. and if boston wins the series -- that's gonna be exhibit A.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

At this point in the season I am fine with a Sale-Verlander match up. Although I feel good about the proposed Morton-Portcello tomorrow.Of course neither starter made it out of the 3rd inning today. :rolleyes:
      i missed the first half of the game so i'm not gonna comment -- but after the game the talkin heads sure hated the astro's pulling their starter. and if boston wins the series -- that's gonna be exhibit A.
      From an Astros perspective it was not so much that they pulled Peacock early as it was that they replaced him with Liriano. Hopefully we play tomorrow and David Price will not be available.
    • Well Game 1 and 2 were for me and the Astro fans, and game 3 was for IMScotty and the Red Sox fans. With game 4 we finally had a game that any baseball fan should appreciate. Aces working out of the bullpens like there was no tomorrow, triples, home runs including one inside the park, ties and lead changes, elite closers, and an eventual one run game.
      Yeah, I was glad to come out on top, but it was a great game regardless of who won. :thumbup:
    • i think it's silly that the first round isn't best of 7.

basketball used to have a first round series of best of 3, changed it to best of 5, and then finally got it right by going to best of 7.

the longer the series the more likely that the true best team moves on.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

i think it's silly that the first round isn't best of 7.

basketball used to have a first round series of best of 3, changed it to best of 5, and then finally got it right by going to best of 7.

the longer the series the more likely that the true best team moves on.
      You are correct, and once they realize they can make more money out of it they will change it.
      We will be playing the "summer" game into November, but I won't be complaining. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Well Game 1 and 2 were for me and the Astro fans, and game 3 was for IMScotty and the Red Sox fans. With game 4 we finally had a game that any baseball fan should appreciate. Aces working out of the bullpens like there was no tomorrow, triples, home runs including one inside the park, ties and lead changes, elite closers, and an eventual one run game.
      Yeah, I was glad to come out on top, but it was a great game regardless of who won. :thumbup:
      It was a great game, and the better team won.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Well Game 1 and 2 were for me and the Astro fans, and game 3 was for IMScotty and the Red Sox fans. With game 4 we finally had a game that any baseball fan should appreciate. Aces working out of the bullpens like there was no tomorrow, triples, home runs including one inside the park, ties and lead changes, elite closers, and an eventual one run game.
      It was a great game, and the better team won.
      Thanks, and now you can pull for us to end our 55 year drought like when I was pulling for the Red Sox back in 2004. :)
      [/quote]
    • Screwy inning in the Cubs-Nats game. Top of 5th. Cubs have been down all game but have mounted a 2 out rally to take a one run lead with runners on 1st and 2nd. Two strikes. Batter swings and misses on a ball in the dirt. Ball goes through the catcher's legs and rolls to the screen. Runners advance and batter runs to 1st on dropped third strike. He beats the throw which is off line and goes into right field and runner scores from third. After the play there is a discussion among the umpires to decide if the fact that the batter's bat hit the catchers mask on his follow through is relevant (dead ball on catcher interference?). Ruling is not changed and the run counts. Later in the inning a bat hist the catcher's mitt in the middle of a swing but nothing is called. Then a batter is hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to score an insurance run.
    • I was trying to get my head around the ruling on the drop-third strike at the Cubs/Nats game. From what I read I see it was not catcher interference as the contact of the bat hitting the catcher did not interfere with the batter hitting the ball because it happened on the follow through, and even if it did, the play stands because catcher interference is not a dead ball foul. The play continues and the batter has the choice to accept the interference call our the outcome of the play.

However, once the batter swung and missed, and the ball hit the dirt, should the batter be ruled a runner and the catcher ruled a fielder and the batter/runner be called for interference on the fielder? This is a dead ball foul so time is called, the runner out, inning over. Or maybe it is not ruled as interference because the contact was unintentional and occurred normal play by both players (such as a runner making a LEGAL slide into second base to break up a double play).

I guess I don't understand the interference rule.
    • max.patch wrote:

if the nats were smart they'd have someone right now out lookin for a black cat and a billy goat.
      If they had followed through and closed the deal had with Bud Black they would have been smart. But instead they chose to save money going with Dusty Baker. I hope they enjoyed the money they saved.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

if the nats were smart they'd have someone right now out lookin for a black cat and a billy goat.
      If they had followed through and closed the deal had with Bud Black they would have been smart. But instead they chose to save money going with Dusty Baker. I hope they enjoyed the money they saved.
      mad dog on sirius xm sat radio just said that bad karma follows dusty around. everybody is ripping him today.
      2,000 miler
    • If you hire Dusty you get to the playoffs, that has been proven. What has also been proven is that you will not win in the playoffs if you hire Dusty. I think he's a great "player's manager", but he sucks at game management. He keeps his players loose and happy which equates to a good record over the long haul (162 game season), but he gets out managed in the playoffs when it's a do or die situation. Case in point....wth was Rendon doing on the 2 out double down the line? He sure as hell wasn't protecting against doubles down. "No Doubles" defense is standard from HS on in that situation.

As a Reds Fan I don't have a dog in the fight, but IMHO the 8 teams that deserved to be in the Div Series were there and, for the most part, the series' have been really good with the exception of the way the pitching staffs are handled nowadays. I despise the 12 man pitching staff.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.