Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

Hall Of Fame Ballot time. :)

Jeff Bagwell
      Billy Wagner
      Curt Schilling
      Jeff Kent
      Fred McGriff
      Edgar Martinez
      Mike Mussina
      Tim Raines
      what does this list represent? players you would vote for?

i understand why you didn't list, say, arthur rhodes.

i read speculation that the bonds, clemens, et al will eventually get in because bud selig got in. some voters think it is inconsistent to put in the commish who ignored steroids while keeping out the players who used them.

so why does rodriguez get a pass on the roids? insufficient evidence? hard to ignore canseco.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Hall Of Fame Ballot time. :)

Jeff Bagwell
      Billy Wagner
      Curt Schilling
      Jeff Kent
      Fred McGriff
      Edgar Martinez
      Mike Mussina
      Tim Raines
      what does this list represent? players you would vote for?
      i understand why you didn't list, say, arthur rhodes.

i read speculation that the bonds, clemens, et al will eventually get in because bud selig got in. some voters think it is inconsistent to put in the commish who ignored steroids while keeping out the players who used them.

so why does rodriguez get a pass on the roids? insufficient evidence? hard to ignore canseco.
      This is the list I posted last week of who I would personally vote for.

The post from today was who I predicted would make it, and those on the bubble who might (could go either way) . Ivan (Pudge) Rodriquez is not on my list due to steroids. I would probably vote for Vlad Guerrero next year, but I do not feel he is at the first ballot level. Hoffman to me does deserve in until after Wagner makes it. He collected a lot of saves in a pitchers ballpark and consistently choked in high pressure situations, and was not near intimidating as Wagner, without as good other stats such K/9.

As for Bud Selig I would not have voter for him either. Besides not getting rid of steroids fast enough, he no business making the Astros move to the AL, while he left "his" Brewers in NL (instead of sending them back where they came from).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

As for Bud Selig I would not have voter for him either. Besides not getting rid of steroids fast enough, he no business making the Astros move to the AL, while he left "his" Brewers in NL (instead of sending them back where they came from).
      i wondered how you felt about that. as a NL braves fan, having the astros in the AL still doesn't seem right to me.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

Who would be on your Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot?

Here is mine.

Craig Biggio
      Greg Maddux
      Jeff Bagwell
      Allen Trammell
      Mike Piazza
      Jack Morris
      Tom Glavine
      Curt Schilling
      Tim Raines
      Edgar Martinez
      3 years later, 6 of my 10 have made it.
      Trammell and Morris have fallen off the ballot and will have to wait for the veterans committee.
      Schilling and Martinez will get another shot next year.
    • I love Jeff Bagwell, a great team player who would have hit a lot more Home Runs if had not spent most of his career playing home games in the Astrodome. Although I once saw him hit 3 there in one game once.

But, he said "um" multiple time per sentence when making his opening comments at the HOF news conference. He must have been really nervous.
    • Astro wrote:

Astro wrote:

Who would be on your Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot?

Here is mine.

Craig Biggio
      Greg Maddux
      Jeff Bagwell
      Allen Trammell
      Mike Piazza
      Jack Morris
      Tom Glavine
      Curt Schilling
      Tim Raines
      Edgar Martinez
      3 years later, 6 of my 10 have made it.Trammell and Morris have fallen off the ballot and will have to wait for the veterans committee.
      Schilling and Martinez will get another shot next year.
      Been a lot of talk around here recently that the Tigers always seem to be under represented in HOF voting (e.g. Trammel and Morris). I think it's the Russians.
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

3 years later, 6 of my 10 have made it.Trammell and Morris have fallen off the ballot and will have to wait for the veterans committee.Schilling and Martinez will get another shot next year.
      Been a lot of talk around here recently that the Tigers always seem to be under represented in HOF voting (e.g. Trammel and Morris). I think it's the Russians.
      Trammel definitely is an oversight (take him over Ozzie Smith or Barry Larkin). Morris is borderline (upside big games, downside high ERA). Yes,I believe there is a perhaps "east coast" bias (especially NY/Boston along with Chicago), and therefore also under representation by places like Detroit.
    • pitcher yordano ventura died in a car crash in the dominican republic.

coincidentally, former mlb infielder andy marte also died in a car crash in the domincan republic on the same day.

outfielder oscar tavares also died in a car crash in the dominican republic a couple years ago.

the starting pitcher in andy marte's last mlb game was...yordano ventura.

yordano ventura started and won game 6 of the 2014 world series. on his cap he had...the uniform number and initials of oscar tavares.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

pitcher yordano ventura died in a car crash in the dominican republic.

coincidentally, former mlb infielder andy marte also died in a car crash in the domincan republic on the same day.

outfielder oscar tavares also died in a car crash in the dominican republic a couple years ago.

the starting pitcher in andy marte's last mlb game was...yordano ventura.

yordano ventura started and won game 6 of the 2014 world series. on his cap he had...the uniform number and initials of oscar tavares.
      Sad. Driving in Latin America is like the Wild Wild West. Fun and adventurous, but also dangerous.
    • editorial by george will in todays paper.

refererences bonds and clements getting over 50% in HOF voting and points out that only 3 players have crossed that threshold and not been voted in.

says cooperstown must decide if it is a museum or a shrine.

concludes by saying:

If Cooperstown is content, as perhaps it should be, to be merely a museum — not a negligible thing — then Bonds and Clemens belong there as important elements of the game’s story, and their story should be candidly told on their plaques. If, however, Cooperstown wants admission to mean enshrinement, it must embrace and articulate the Hall’s ethic. America has never more urgently needed the insistence that real success must be honorably achieved.

washingtonpost.com/opinions/is…ml?utm_term=.5eb9e613d886
      2,000 miler
    • Mike Ilitch passed away. Won a lot of championships with the Red Wings and came close a few times with the Tigers. Besides selling a lot of pizza, made a positive impact on the Detroit economy when it really needed it. Was a good example of a sports owner who provided resources and enjoyed it, but did not get in the way like some (such as George with Yankees and Jerry with the Cowboys).

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Astro wrote:

I love Jeff Bagwell, a great team player who would have hit a lot more Home Runs if had not spent most of his career playing home games in the Astrodome. Although I once saw him hit 3 there in one game once.

But, he said "um" multiple time per sentence when making his opening comments at the HOF news conference. He must have been really nervous.
      He grew up next town north. Never payed much attention to Baseball players out of Connecticut.....too few and far between.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

I love Jeff Bagwell, a great team player who would have hit a lot more Home Runs if had not spent most of his career playing home games in the Astrodome. Although I once saw him hit 3 there in one game once.

He grew up next town north. Never payed much attention to Baseball players out of Connecticut.....too few and far between.
      Astros centerfiellder George Springer is from U Conn. Reminds me of Bill Walton in basketball. Totally changes the game making others better. Problem is just staying healthy.
    • Found out Illich paid Rosa Parks bills for a while after she moved to Detroit and ran into some hard times. Never let the media know, and just revealed after he passed away. So not just a good business man and sports owner, but also a good guy with class.
    • well this was surprising...

got an alert on my phone that atlanta was leading detroit 4-2. so i immediately wonder if this is a holiday and why are the hawks playing the pistons in an afternoon game? then i noticed that the little icon on the alert was a baseball and not a basketball. baseball in february. now that just doesn't seem right to me.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

well this was surprising...

got an alert on my phone that atlanta was leading detroit 4-2. so i immediately wonder if this is a holiday and why are the hawks playing the pistons in an afternoon game? then i noticed that the little icon on the alert was a baseball and not a basketball. baseball in february. now that just doesn't seem right to me.
      Me wife sez she won't watch pre season ball.
    • max.patch wrote:

ticket sales for the braves home opener went on sale friday at 10:00.

at 10:01 they were sold out.

probably 3 real people got a ticket and the rest got snatched up by the brokers. sucks.
      When I moved to Houston back in 1988 I used to go to the Astrodome on the first day the opened up for single game sales. I would buy around 20 or more games. Some 1 and some 2 tickets (seats). You could sit behind home plate for $10 or $12 back then. My how the times have changed. :rolleyes:
    • max.patch wrote:

probably 3 real people got a ticket and the rest got snatched up by the brokers. sucks.
      Don't know why they can't make tickets that are not transferable (for example you would have to have the credit card used to buy the ticket to gain admittance). Wouldn't have to do it for all tickets. They could fix that if they really wanted to. I know for the musical Hamilton (which also always sells out), many of the best seats are sold for $500 or more. When people complained, the producers pointed out that if they sold them at traditional prices, they would just be scalped at a huge mark-up. This way, most of the money goes to the people on stage, rather than brokers who contribute nothing to the production. Actually made a little sense. To make up for it they also have a lottery for lots of $10 tickets, but you have to be there in person to participate, so the brokers are shut out of that.
    • Yeah Va Tech really pissed me off on football tickets. I used to donate money every year and got tickets from my best friend who got them from someone at work. Then he can't get those tickets so I went on line to Techs so called ticket lottery. I was told by the program to increase my chances of getting tickets I needed to donate $5,000 or more. Yeah right. Thumb on my nose at you va tech.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • max.patch wrote:

One of the many reasons I no longer attend NFL games.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • if ya go to the world baseball classic -- ya better pay attention -- cuz someone just may hit a homerun and the ball just may come down on the exact spot where a guy doesn't want it to.

the large gif may take a few viewings to spot the guy getting hit. the small gif clearly shows the immediate aftermath.

i get a kick outta the guy in the blue milwaukee t-shirt laughing at the poor guy.

[IMG:https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--xoGNqnES--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/dgduxncnxuk0wyn7vahy.gif]

[IMG:https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--p8cQbg3R--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/gk4dr7i4jvmejzlkl0s4.gif]
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

if ya go to the world baseball classic -- ya better pay attention -- cuz someone just may hit a homerun and the ball just may come down on the exact spot where a guy doesn't want it to.

the large gif may take a few viewings to spot the guy getting hit. the small gif clearly shows the immediate aftermath.

i get a kick outta the guy in the blue milwaukee t-shirt laughing at the poor guy.

[IMG:https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--p8cQbg3R--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/gk4dr7i4jvmejzlkl0s4.gif]
      went to a game once and saw an old lady get clipped in the cheek off a foul tip to the third base section, she was a bloody mess but walkin'
      We felt so bad for her. I don't recall the outcome but heard the batter did something nice for her after the game.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

nice play.how long have we been in the "statcast era"? :)
      2014 pilots, 2015 for entire MLB.
      If the 'route efficiency' stat indicates what I think it does, suggest the data compiler has never attempted to catch a ball in flight when confronted with swirling winds, glare from stadium lights or the sun, or the dynamics of a spinning ball. If an out is recorded due to a catch, the stat should be 100%.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • We are planning to visit my daughter in Cincinnati in May. We're planning on going to a Reds game. This will be my 4th major league game. First was a Senators game at RFK Stadium (stadium is still there, but not the Senators). Then a White Sox game at the original Comisky Park (team still there, but not the stadium). Then the Cubs at Wriggly.