Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

i always thot the astrodome was a neat idea.

i also, based on what i read, may be the only person who likes tropicana field where the rays play. it gets so hot there its a no brainer to me to play inside where its always 72 degrees.
      If I could retire and my wife was willing, I certainly would be willing to move to Tampa Bay.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i also, based on what i read, may be the only person who likes tropicana field where the rays play. it gets so hot there its a no brainer to me to play inside where its always 72 degrees.
      If I could retire and my wife was willing, I certainly would be willing to move to Tampa Bay.
      i've thot about it - actually st pete would be my first choice - but the drive to springer would be a killer. and hot weather bothers me more than when i was kid growing up in homestead/miami.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

my father was a plant physiologist with the USDA back in to 60s. He was called to consult on the original plan to grow grass inside for the Astrodome field. He gave them a bunch of reasons why this was not possible. They went ahead anyway and found that he was right. Astroturf was a last minute invention when they found they had built a baseball stadium with no field.
    • max.patch wrote:

i don't follow kennesaw state baseball, but i have kennesaw state basketball season tickets so i'm in the loop for athletic news.

watch this ksu players home run trot. :)

Hey if it means you went deep, I believe it is worth the embarrassment of slipping and falling.

But of course I have always been more about helping the team win than just making a good appearance.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I have a daughter and two grand kids there, always enjoy visiting, even though she puts me to work, actually she knows the best way to get me down is to tell me she has work to be done.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Learned valuable lesson the hard way. When in your 50s be sure to stretch before umping a couple games. You would not think it was necessary, but after all of the mini-sprints around the bases to get in position and all of the bending over, I am feeling it now. :S
    • Foresight wrote:

I'm afraid my Reds have already had their moment in the sun this season....
      well, their manager is in mid season form.

sample...

BP: Your job is not to sniff out every f****** thing is about the Reds and f****** put it out there for every other f****** guy to hear. It’s not your job. You want me to be candid with you? I’ve been candid with you. I f****** talk to you guys like men, I tell you what the f***’s going on with the team, I tell you how I’m feeling as candidly as I can and then this s***? You’ve got to watch this f****** s***? I’ve got to f****** read that on a f****** Tweet on our own people in here that we don’t have a f****** player? How the f*** does that benefit the Reds? It doesn’t benefit us one f****** bit. God **** we try to go out there and win f****** games and I got to come in here and then you guys f****** blow it all over the f****** place? Who we can play? Who we can’t? I’ll tell you what you want to know, I’m not going to f****** lie to you. I didn’t tell you f****** s***.

By Rosecrans’ count, there “were 77 uses of the “F” word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).” and in only 5 1/2 minutes.

safe for work version:

2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Foresight wrote:

sample...

BP: Your job is not to sniff out every f****** thing is about the Reds and f****** put it out there for every other f****** guy to hear. It’s not your job. You want me to be candid with you? I’ve been candid with you. I f****** talk to you guys like men, I tell you what the f***’s going on with the team, I tell you how I’m feeling as candidly as I can and then this s***? You’ve got to watch this f****** s***? I’ve got to f****** read that on a f****** Tweet on our own people in here that we don’t have a f****** player? How the f*** does that benefit the Reds? It doesn’t benefit us one f****** bit. God **** we try to go out there and win f****** games and I got to come in here and then you guys f****** blow it all over the f****** place? Who we can play? Who we can’t? I’ll tell you what you want to know, I’m not going to f****** lie to you. I didn’t tell you f****** s***.

By Rosecrans’ count, there “were 77 uses of the “F” word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).” and in only 5 1/2 minutes.

safe for work version:

I am sure they are missing Sweet Lou, Dusty, and Sparky now.
    • max.patch wrote:

Foresight wrote:

sample...

safe for work version:

Sadly, he'll probably get disciplined for that in some way. He just became my fu(king hero.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

Can one of you baseball fans let me know when its ok to wear my Orioles hat.
      It is fine with me, but you better be prepared if you go to a Yankees or Red Sox game.
      the arizona diamonbacks were in the news (again) re their policy of not allowing anyone to wear any other teams clothing in the expensive seats behind home plate. so if ya wear an astros t-shirt they're gonna give you a diamonbacks t-shirt to wear over it. ridiculous.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

It is fine with me, but you better be prepared if you go to a Yankees or Red Sox game.
      Yup, it be like putting ketchup on a Hotdog, it just don't fly.

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

the arizona diamonbacks were in the news (again) re their policy of not allowing anyone to wear any other teams clothing in the expensive seats behind home plate. so if ya wear an astros t-shirt they're gonna give you a diamonbacks t-shirt to wear over it. ridiculous.
      Agree, ridiculous, but that's big corporate business these days.
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

Do they let you keep the shirt?

When I first moved to Houston I sat behind home plate at nearly ever LA Dodger game with an LA hat and a Dodger shirt on. No official ever game me any trouble, although the occasional fan might say something, but it was Houston so never too harsh.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

When I first moved to Houston I sat behind home plate at nearly ever LA Dodger game with an LA hat and a Dodger shirt on. No official ever game me any trouble, although the occasional fan might say something, but it was Houston so never too harsh.
      I think you'd be taking your life in your hands up here wearing a any other regalia at a Yankees or Metz game...fans up here are nutso! if nothing more you get harassed. Shame.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

don't try that in philly!
      2,000 miler
    • i thot this was interesting.

Chris Rock Has Profound Take On Why MLB Lacks African-American Presence

You are supposed to get wiser with every year, but Chris Rock has become wiser beyond infinitely many.

Not only has the comedian remained relevant, but Rock has remained brilliant. This latest interview turned-in for HBO Sports is no different than the ahead-of-the-curve takes Rock provides on a consistent basis.
      If you have just seven minutes for enlightenment, I promise this video is worth your time.

2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

The Astros are all alone in first place right now. I will enjoy it while I can. :)
      Astros still in first place a week later and their lead is actually growing. Just swept A's after taking series from the Mariners and Angels. Those were the 2 playoff teams from last and the Mariners just missed the playoffs last year and were supposed to the team to beat this year.

Hopefully they will still be winning when I take my son to watch 3 games in Houston this weekend.