Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Heading to FL tomorrow, and plan to catch the Tigers at Astros Thursday, and then Astros at Braves on Saturday.

combining business with pleasure or is this just a spring training vacation?

Mine and my sons spring break. My dad bought a second home in FL where I grew up so I am taking two of my sons with me (the other one has a State Quiz Bowl tournament Saturday). Had to wait till Wednesday to leave because I was teaching a class for another university in Little Rock tonight. Cut our time in FL down, but hey it helps pay for the trip.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

i can't believe what the braves charge for their preseason games since they moved to disney. approx $45 downstairs, $35 upstairs $20-$25 to sit on the grass. sign of the times i guess. used to be a cheap outing years ago.

I grew up going to Dodgertown with my mom, and I am sure it was not much more than a dollar or two back then.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i can't believe what the braves charge for their preseason games since they moved to disney. approx $45 downstairs, $35 upstairs $20-$25 to sit on the grass. sign of the times i guess. used to be a cheap outing years ago.

I grew up going to Dodgertown with my mom, and I am sure it was not much more than a dollar or two back then.

When I was a kid and the Braves and Expos were in West Palm Beach, tickets were $1.50 for the uppers and $2.50 for reserved. You couldn't get anybody to go to a 90º 1:00pm game in the middle of the afternoon. They would give away tickets in the bleachers. Then people FINALLY figured out that this was a good cheap day of entertainment down in the tropics. Ticket prices started climbing year after year. We started buying spring season tickets. Then they outgrew that little municipal stadium and pulled out. Went to a Nationals/Cardinals game last year and tickets were $57.50 each at a brand new stadium in Jupiter Beach and the place was packed.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Not only have the ticket prices gone up (even from just 2 years ago), parking was $10, more them I remember ever paying in Houston.

But we won 4-3 in 10 innings today, and my son had a good time, so it was worth it. Jose Altuve went 3-3, fun to see a guy 5'6" thrive like that.
    • milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

When I was a kid and the Braves and Expos were in West Palm Beach, tickets were $1.50 for the uppers and $2.50 for reserved. You couldn't get anybody to go to a 90º 1:00pm game in the middle of the afternoon. They would give away tickets in the bleachers. Then people FINALLY figured out that this was a good cheap day of entertainment down in the tropics. Ticket prices started climbing year after year. We started buying spring season tickets. Then they outgrew that little municipal stadium and pulled out. Went to a Nationals/Cardinals game last year and tickets were $57.50 each at a brand new stadium in Jupiter Beach and the place was packed.

Here I was looking forward to the Astros moving to West Palm Beach in 2 years since it is an hour closer, but now you have me concerned about even higher prices. 8o
    • max.patch wrote:

i just can't wrap my head around the fact that it costs more to see a braves spring training game than a regular season game in atlanta.

Yeah, I guess something I grew up with and we took for granted is now considered to be cool. It is the hip thing to take a Spring Training vacation now so, with the smaller stadiums (ball parks) they are using the economics to make all of the seats more expensive. Basic supply and demand I guess, and people are going to pay the price. Also a smaller target around a month instead of 6 months to choose from (and from their perspective keep filling the park).

I still remember in 1998 moving back home from Singapore and wanting to go see the Astros play the Cleveland Indians. My wife was going somewhere that night so I took all three children (4, 3, and 9 months at the time) and we sat in the outfield of the Astrodome for $7 (4 for and 1 for each kid).

98 was a fun year, especially after we picked up Randy Johnson and he went 10-1.
    • i just heard this on sirius xm sports channel...

the stadium in jupiter, fl., which is the home of the cards and marlins, charges you an extra $5 if you come early to watch batting practice. (this is a decision of the owner of the stadium, not the teams.)

unreal.
      2,000 miler
    • this is such a good idea i wonder why someone didn't think of it before now...

This is awesome: Every game on the final day of the MLB regular season will start at the same timeD.J. Short

Mar 19, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

38 Comments

APWell, this is awesome. According to Bill Shakin of theLos Angeles Times, MLB has scheduled every game on the final day of the regular season to start at the same time. The idea with this new little wrinkle is toramp up the drama leading into the playoffs:

“If a game impacts another game, they’re all occurring at the same time, so no team would be put into a lame-duck situation because their fate already had been decided by an earlier result,” said Tony Pettiti, MLB chief operating officer.

“If we do have games coming down to the wire, we want to make sure we maximize that day.”

All games on Sunday, October 4 will start at 3 p.m. ET.

In addition to all the drama, excitement, and nail-biting which will surely commence on that afternoon, it might also change how some teams approach things. The Pirates lost on the final day of the regular season last year, which clinched the NL Central for the Cardinals. The Cardinals had a later start and were able to scratch Adam Wainwright at the last minute and rest him for Game 1 of the NLDS against the Dodgers. Teams won’t have the luxury to wait on decisions like that anymore. You’re going to have to go for it.

It’s hard to see a negative with this idea. If anything, the hardest part will be trying to keep up with everything that might be going on. Of course, that will be a fun problem to have for baseball fans. Bring on the chaos.
      2,000 miler
    • astros win 2017 world series!!!

hey astro...ya heard it here first! you said you wanted meaningful games in october...

Astros farm team way too confident, giving out 2017 World Series rings.

On Tuesday, the Houston Astros’ AAA affiliate, the Fresno Grizzlies, announced a Back to the Future-themed promotion for an Aug. 15 game — and apparently, that entailed giving out 2017 World Championship rings to fans.

Even though the rings are part of a promotion, we vote it’s still a major case of counting chickens before they hatch.

[IMG:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CA4dPM0WoAEu8FO.jpg]

MiLB.com ✔ @MiLB
      Follow
      Will you be in Fresno on Aug. 15 or will you wait until 2017 to get your #Astros WS ring? atmilb.com/1HA9l91

2:19 PM - 24 Mar 2015

34 RETWEETS 27 FAVORITES
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• hikerboy wrote:

two months ago, a kid named jimmy duff came in and we priced out a factory order for a Chevy Colorado, and his dad came in to pick it up today. hes a good kid, tall, drafted a year ago by the mets, pitching in the minors down in florida.

milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=…areer/R/pitching/2014/ALL

Mets spring training and FSL team are in Port St. Lucie, the same place I started my baseball playing career. Back then all we had there was Little League (nothing professional).
    • milkman wrote:

Hey Astro,
      Looks like you'll be in our neck of the woods pretty soon.
      palmbeachpost.com/news/news/lo…ct-set-to-start-th/nkX2w/

Yeah, looking forward to it. Only 1 hour instead of 2 from my dad's FL house, and don't have to pay any turnpike tolls (should be a pretty straight shot from I-95).
    • braves are looking to move also; when the astros and another team that i don't remember right now move there will only be one team close to them. concern is spending too much time on the bus.

i'm sure they will do an indepth analysis of the best location to go to, and then actually base their decision on which location gives them the most money. :(
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

braves are looking to move also; when the astros and another team that i don't remember right now move there will only be one team close to them. concern is spending too much time on the bus.

i'm sure they will do an indepth analysis of the best location to go to, and then actually base their decision on which location gives them the most money. :(

With the way they have raised tickets prices lately, I am surprised they are not flying. :rolleyes:
    • max.patch wrote:

ya gotta love minor league baseball.

You got that right. Used to go to the Billings Mustangs games religiously. Just a single A ball team. Lived 5 houses down from dead center field. Walked to the games. Loved listening to the music over the loud speakers during practice. Nothing like living close to a ball field.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • max.patch wrote:

i was curious if the player was hurt so i did some googling...turns out my assumption that this was minor league was wrong. this was high school.

quote from the guy who caught the ball off the rebound:

Deshong didn't quite grasp what was going on at the time."He just kind of lost his footing and head-butted the ball to me," he said. "I remember thinking, 'If I catch this ball and toss it in, does this really count?'"You see that stuff on TV, and then it happened to us. It was crazy."Deshong passed most of the credit for the play to his teammate, who admittedly did most of the hard work."(My teammates) acted like it was a spectacular play on my part, but it bounced off of Travis' head," Deshong said. "If his head was shaped any other way, who knows where the ball would have gone."

i still wonder how the guys head is.
      2,000 miler
    • milkman wrote:

max.patch wrote:

You got that right. Used to go to the Billings Mustangs games religiously. Just a single A ball team. Lived 5 houses down from dead center field. Walked to the games. Loved listening to the music over the loud speakers during practice. Nothing like living close to a ball field.

when i was in elementary school i used to take the city bus to see the columbus jets play all the time. they were the pirates aaa international league team. on saturdays i'd take the bus to the y. parents today would probably be arrested for child endangerment if they let their 10 year olds take the bus anywhere.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

parents today would probably be arrested for child endangerment if they let their 10 year olds take the bus anywhere.

Ain't that the truth!

I think of the places/distances I rode my bike when I was a kid, and it sickens me knowing that kids today couldn't do such. The friends I stayed with during my recent extended "vacation" wouldn't even let their kids leave the cul-de-sac they live on. They live in a really small neighborhood. It made me sad. Or nostalgic...both?
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • I used to hop on my bike and we would play baseball for hours on the neighborhood sandlot. :)

Unfortunately we moved out in the country when I was 12 and it was several miles to get to any other kids (it was a mile just to get to pavement where I caught the school bus).
    • I was going to quote/copy a previous post of mine into this conversation but when I went back and found it, I saw you were one of the people who liked it, so you already know. :P
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • My youngest son started riding a bike without training wheels when he was only 2 years old. Even though 6.5 years difference, I taught all four of our children how within one years time, and he was really coordinated with a high threshold of pain, and figured if they could do it, he could too. It was really neat at first (thought he might have a future in the circus :) ), until one day took off to visit a neighbor. While he knew how to ride a bike, he didn't understand the part about what side of the street you are supposed to ride on (you really do not plan on a child that age taking off on their own). 8o
      Fortunately he arrived safely, and was then provided with a little more direction and correction. ;)

This is the same child who when he was 3 said he wanted to move back to Germany so he could drive (as fast as he wanted) on the autobahn. :rolleyes: