Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

Braves going to live or die Mark Melancon for the third straight game. :)
      It worked again. He has two saves after getting tagged for 4 runs in game 1 loss. Once saved 51 games in Pittsburgh before going to SF Giants for big contract and having arm problems.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I was surprised the Astros did not give the qualifying offer to Charlie Morton last year. I assume it was due to concerns from the medical staff.
      Well today the guy they refused to offer $18m for one year beat the guy you are going to paying at least $30m a year for the next two years. :(
    • max.patch wrote:

devil rays vs the colt 45s in a one game winner take all for all the marbles!!!
      Obviously I am pulling for the Astros, but I am hoping it is like the old saying about the NCAA March Madness and winning the Final Four, once the really good team dodges that close bullet it wakes them up and finish strong to win the rest of the way. :)
    • Strange game and the last for a good catcher who was never afraid to stand up for how he felt the game should be played. While most of his career will be remembered as being an Atlanta Brave, my favorite memories will be 2017 when the Yankees were paying him $10 million a year to play for the Astros who beat them to go onto to win the World Series. He was solid behind the plate, while Gerry Sanchez made multiple bad plays in that series (the guy he was moved for to open a spot). :)

mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/brian-mccann-retires-braves.html
    • max.patch wrote:

lol, i settled in to watch the game and the score was 11-0. i'll be honest; i kept the game on in case something weird happened, but my main focus was reading while the game was on.

there actually was talk during the last season about having a mercy rule.
      But the great thing about baseball is that teams with leads like that have lost.
    • Astro wrote:

Strange game and the last for a good catcher who was never afraid to stand up for how he felt the game should be played.
      i always hated that about him. if someone hits a home run and you're gonna be mad at someone -- be mad at the pitcher who threw the pitch. if ya don't want someone to jog around the bases or flip a bat -- then strike him out.

this is just one example. he pulled crap like this all the time.

2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

lol, i settled in to watch the game and the score was 11-0. i'll be honest; i kept the game on in case something weird happened, but my main focus was reading while the game was on.

But the great thing about baseball is that teams with leads like that have lost.
      I agree. In football or basketball there reaches a point on the clock where a large lead is just physically impossible to overcome. The clock still needs to be run out, but you know it is now impossible to win. But in baseball you might be down several runs with two out in the ninth, but there is still a chance, however slight. A baseball fan can cling to their hopes right up to the last pitch.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Strange game and the last for a good catcher who was never afraid to stand up for how he felt the game should be played.
      i always hated that about him. if someone hits a home run and you're gonna be mad at someone -- be mad at the pitcher who threw the pitch. if ya don't want someone to jog around the bases or flip a bat -- then strike him out.
      this is just one example. he pulled crap like this all the time.

But on the other hand his teammates loved him.
    • On MLB radio I heard an interesting comparison about the difference between swag and swagger. Swag being more self centered confidence (Bryce Harper, Alex Rodriquez, Ronald Acuna Jr), while swagger is more team oriented confidence (Josh Donaldson, Alex Bregman).
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I agree. In football or basketball there reaches a point on the clock where a large lead is just physically impossible to overcome. The clock still needs to be run out, but you know it is now impossible to win. But in baseball you might be down several runs with two out in the ninth, but there is still a chance, however slight. A baseball fan can cling to their hopes right up to the last pitch.
      but then again, when the losing team puts its utility infielder on the mound to save pitchers, you know it's over.
    • odd man out wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

but then again, when the losing team puts its utility infielder on the mound to save pitchers, you know it's over.
      But that is interesting also.
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

But that is interesting also.
      you beat me to it; i was going to say the same thing. for some reason i enjoy watching the position players come into pitch. guess it's cause it adds a different dimension to the same that you don't normally see.
      2,000 miler
    • I know the playoffs are not supposed to count, but I believe Gerrit Cole and Alex Bregman showed the writers and anyone else if they had any doubt why they should get the AL Cy Young and MVP.

Twice Cole shut down the Rays for 2 of the 3 wins and struck out at least 10 for like around a dozen straight times, has not lost a game in several months, and they won 17 of the 19 games he has pitched in Houston this year. Bregman comes up in the first inning and breaks the game open with a 2 run double to make it 3-0, then scores the the next run to make 4-0, which was pretty much the ballgame until a couple of solo insurance HRs in the bottom of the 8th made it 6-1. It is nice to be good, but being good under the highest pressure is even better. :thumbup:
    • with the way the trop was rockin and rollin -- i wonder if i'll be able to snag a ticket next summer when i make my annual visit to to st. pete beach. :)

edit to add: my first game at the trop was devil rays vs yankees and there were literally more yankee fans in the stands than devil rays fans. around the 8th inning with the game safely in hand, the yankee fans started a "boston sucks" chant.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

with the way the trop was rockin and rollin -- i wonder if i'll be able to snag a ticket next summer when i make my annual visit to to st. pete beach. :)

edit to add: my first game at the trop was devil rays vs yankees and there were literally more yankee fans in the stands than devil rays fans. around the 8th inning with the game safely in hand, the yankee fans started a "boston sucks" chant.
      I was impressed with both the crowd and the noise. I hope it carries over to next year. But past history says it will probably take a new stadium on the other side of the bay before they get consistent good attendance.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

with the way the trop was rockin and rollin -- i wonder if i'll be able to snag a ticket next summer when i make my annual visit to to st. pete beach. :)

I was impressed with both the crowd and the noise. I hope it carries over to next year. But past history says it will probably take a new stadium on the other side of the bay before they get consistent good attendance.
      yep. stadium is in a great location for those who vacation in st. pete beach. different story for those coming from tampa.
      2,000 miler
    • Guess it takes a certain personality to be a MLB umpire. 11th inning of still tie game with two on and two out Gary Sanchez swings and misses a 1-2 pitch by about a foot and ump calls it a foul ball. AJ Hinch tries to encourage him to get some help since he obviously missed it, but he refuses. Next pitch ball outside and he rings Sanchez up. Hey when your opinion is all that matters, I guess you handle it however you want. :rolleyes:
    • Carlos Correa the Bill Walton of MLB comes through tonight. Double for initial lead, then spectacular play to nail runner at home to keep game tied, and then walk off homer in the 11th.

Arguably the most talented player in MLB "IF you could just keep him on the field." Poor guy can not even get a massage without breaking a rib. ?( But when he is healthy, he sure is fun to watch. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Carlos Correa the Bill Walton of MLB comes through tonight. Double for initial lead, then spectacular play to nail runner at home to keep game tied, and then walk off homer in the 11th.

Arguably the most talented player in MLB "IF you could just keep him on the field." Poor guy can not even get a massage without breaking a rib. ?( But when he is healthy, he sure is fun to watch. :)
      lol, didn't know that...he musta got on the table and said "gimme a rolfing"
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

Big question for Game 4 in ALCS is when. Rain forecasted, and no roof on Yankee Stadium. I assume they would play Thur/Fri in NY, and just eliminate the travel day back to Houston.
      well...houston is gonna need a travel day...but new york ain't going nowhere. :)

edit to add: always 72 degrees and it never rains at the trop!!!
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Big question for Game 4 in ALCS is when. Rain forecasted, and no roof on Yankee Stadium. I assume they would play Thur/Fri in NY, and just eliminate the travel day back to Houston.
      well...houston is gonna need a travel day...but new york ain't going nowhere. :)
      edit to add: always 72 degrees and it never rains at the trop!!!
      Hey, I hope you are right and they end it in five games. :)
      That would also leave Cole and Verlander ready to open against Washington.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

well...houston is gonna need a travel day...but new york ain't going nowhere. :) edit to add: always 72 degrees and it never rains at the trop!!!
      Hey, I hope you are right and they end it in five games. :) That would also leave Cole and Verlander ready to open against Washington.
      With rain out tonight, looks like Greinke and Verlander now in G4 and G5 in NY.
    • Note to self, never take a job that Joe Maddon may want. First Cubs fire Rick Renteria after one year, now Angels fired Brad Ausmus for him after one year. Multiyear contract means nothing if Maddon is available. Well at least they still get paid. :)
    • Chemistry lesson: Washington Nationals pass on Bryce Harper for $300 million, then win first playoff wildcard game to advance for first time in playoffs. Next win LDS, then NLCS to go to World Series.

Appears investing half that ($150 million) in Patrick Corbin and Anibal Sanchez was a better deal.
    • Astro wrote:

Note to self, never take a job that Joe Maddon may want. First Cubs fire Rick Renteria after one year, now Angels fired Brad Ausmus for him after one year. Multiyear contract means nothing if Maddon is available. Well at least they still get paid. :)
      so the cubbies fire maddon and of their top candidates is...gabe kapler?

that's like dumping taylor swift and hooking up with mama cass.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

Chemistry lesson: Washington Nationals pass on Bryce Harper for $300 million, then win first playoff wildcard game to advance for first time in playoffs. Next win LDS, then NLCS to go to World Series.

Appears investing half that ($150 million) in Patrick Corbin and Anibal Sanchez was a better deal.
      bryce is crying all the way to the bank...

i'm not one of the bryce haters, but like i said earlier...i think it's neat the nationals are having a successful post season without him. i think they lose the next round no matter who they play -- so it's to the astros to save the nation from the yankees.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

D

Astro wrote:

Chemistry lesson: Washington Nationals pass on Bryce Harper for $300 million, then win first playoff wildcard game to advance for first time in playoffs. Next win LDS, then NLCS to go to World Series.

bryce is crying all the way to the bank...
      i'm not one of the bryce haters, but like i said earlier...i think it's neat the nationals are having a successful post season without him. i think they lose the next round no matter who they play -- so it's to the astros to save the nation from the yankees.
      Don't underestimate having two aces and two other solid starters, and a team being hot at the right time. Worst thing for Nationals would probably be AL going 7 and they cool off and loose there momentum.