Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• the dodgers get a walk walk walk walk walk off win. :)

HERE"S the real definition of a "walk off" win...

bottom of the 9th
      arizona 4 - los angeles 3
      nobody on base
      2 outs
      0-2 count
      and then...

walk
      walk
      walk
      walk
      walk

final score, dodgers win 5-4. dodger have now won 4 consecutive home games (separated by a road trip) via the walk off.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

rip jim bouten.

i still have my paperback "ball four" which i bought sometime in the mid 70's and have read several times over the years.

youtube.com/watch?v=InEZZ1FQFbM
      Last full year in majors with Pilots and Astros, although last games years later in comeback with Braves. Also I believe played some with Kurt Russell for Bing Russell in Portland.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • you know the old saying "you can't steal first base"?

hold my beer... :)

cut-n-paste:

Major League Baseball may have just invented a new way for players to get on base.

The big leagues currently have a three-year deal with the Atlantic League – of which the Somerset Patriots are a member – to try out new rules on a small scale. Basically, the independent minor league is being used as a guinea pig.

Come Friday, that will mean allowing players to steal first base.

Yes, you read that right. Steal first base.

Once the Atlantic League’s second half begins, players will be permitted to dash for first base on any pitch – in any count – that isn’t caught cleanly by the catcher, according to the Washington Post.
      So, a wild pitch to the backstop could – and probably will – soon be punished by allowing a runner on base.

Of course, testing this rule out in the Atlantic League does not mean that MLB will adopt it. And even if the big leagues decide to bring it on board, it probably won’t happen all that soon.

Stealing first base is only one of the rules that the Atlantic League will implement later this week. The league is also installing “robot umpires” to call balls and strikes starting with its all-star game on Wednesday.

The robot ump has been a hotly debated topic in baseball circles for years now. The Atlantic League’s system, which was workshopped by MLB, will involve “human umpires wearing a Bluetooth-connected earpiece, connected to an iPhone, connected to a software program in the press box,” per the Washington Post. The human umpire also has the ability to overrule the software’s decision.

The Atlantic League has also been experimenting with banning defensive shifts, prohibiting mound visits and a three-batter minimum for new pitchers.
      2,000 miler
    • I guess Astro is too busy hiking to post this one, so I will do it for him. The Marinick / Lucroy collision....

Hate to see anyone get hurt but Lucroy was blocking the plate in my view. The league gave Marinick a two-day suspension for this. Seems harsh to me.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Hate to see anyone get hurt but Lucroy was blocking the plate in my view. The league gave Marinick a two-day suspension for this. Seems harsh to me.
      my initial reaction was that the 2 day suspension was too lenient.
      you thot it was too harsh.

so a couple days is probably right. :)
      I am with IMScotty, Lucroy moved into him leaving him no place to go. While I wouldn't suspend Lucroy either he has enough trouble now as it is, Marisnick was trying to avoid him and no choice at that point. This is not Pete Rose-Ray Fosse. Should appeal and it should be reversed.
    • Astro wrote:

I am with IMScotty, Lucroy moved into him leaving him no place to go. While I wouldn't suspend Lucroy either he has enough trouble now as it is, Marisnick was trying to avoid him and no choice at that point. This is not Pete Rose-Ray Fosse. Should appeal and it should be reversed.
      it's been appealed and i think there is a greater chance that manfred will announce that pete rose has immediately been enshrined in the HOF than having the suspension reversed. :)
      2,000 miler

• max.patch wrote:

yesterday ANOTHER child got hit by a foul ball and had to make a trip to the hospital to get checked out.

when the hell is baseball going to do the rigkht thing and extend the net from foul pole to foul pole?!

this is ridiculous.
      On the other hand when did parents start thinking it was a social event where you hang out instead of going to watch a baseball game? We never needed these nets in the past. I believe the parents deserve most of the blame here.

Either take your kids to the game and teach them how to watch and understand the game, or stay home. No reason to obscure the view for the rest of us because you are not paying attention.
    • coincidentally, tonight is the first game at both washington and chicago (sox) that will feature netting that goes foul pole to foul pole (sox) and "almost" foul pole to foul pole (nationals).

i imagine sports center tonight will have coverage of the new netting at both parks.

a talking head on espn says that foul pole to foul pole netting is "inevitable" and the only question is if it will be required to be in all MLB stadiums before next season starts.
      2,000 miler

• max.patch wrote:

coincidentally, tonight is the first game at both washington and chicago (sox) that will feature netting that goes foul pole to foul pole (sox) and "almost" foul pole to foul pole (nationals).

i imagine sports center tonight will have coverage of the new netting at both parks.

a talking head on espn says that foul pole to foul pole netting is "inevitable" and the only question is if it will be required to be in all MLB stadiums before next season starts.
      On the bright side I guess it is netting and not chain link fence like you find behind home plate at some high schools. Next year will be watching my son play college baseball, so at least we should not be going back to any of the chain link ball fields (his had netting even behind home plate).
    • max.patch wrote:

Ashton Lansdell is set to make history Friday when the Wheeler pitcher gets the start in a Region 2AAAAAAA baseball game against Pebblebrook.

Lansdell’s appearance will not be historic because of any arsenal of pitches, which include a curveball, a changeup and a roughly 75-mph fastball.

It will be because of gender.

A 5-foot-8 right-handed junior, Lansdell is poised to become the first female pitcher to start in a varsity game for a Cobb County school.

“This isn’t a gimmick,” Wheeler coach Mark Collins said. “She’s good enough to pitch. This isn’t a game where we’re just throwing her out there. She’s one of our top five pitchers, and the guys know she can play. Nobody has a problem with her getting the start.”

Collins said the opportunity was right for Lansdell to take the mound. Friday’s game will be the fourth this week for Wheeler, and Collins believes Lansdell’s arm has developed to a point where she can throw well and be successful.

“I have rules,” Collins said. “I don’t care who you are. If you put in the time, you will play. Work hard, do the right things and you can do what you want to do.

“She’s done that. I’ve gotten to know her and I’ve seen her throw. She’s in great shape, she’s a strong athlete, a great role model, an awesome teammate and she keeps her grades up. The best play for me. I don’t care who it is. Stamina will be the only thing because we don’t know how far she’ll go, but she’s ready.”
      wow, i didn't see this coming. didn't even know that it was possible. from todays marietta newspaper:

Ashton Lansdell, believed to be the only girl to play varsity high school baseball in Cobb County, will now get a shot to play at the college level.

The recent Wheeler graduate recently announced her commitment to play baseball for Georgia Highlands College, a junior college program that plays its games at the Lake-Point Sporting Community in Emerson.

Lansdell will experience some change at the next level, as she will be moved from the pitcher’s mound to instead play center field and second base for the Chargers.

What will not change is the fact that Lansdell will once again be the only female player on her team.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Ashton Lansdell is set to make history Friday when the Wheeler pitcher gets the start in a Region 2AAAAAAA baseball game against Pebblebrook.

Lansdell’s appearance will not be historic because of any arsenal of pitches, which include a curveball, a changeup and a roughly 75-mph fastball.

It will be because of gender.

A 5-foot-8 right-handed junior, Lansdell is poised to become the first female pitcher to start in a varsity game for a Cobb County school.

“This isn’t a gimmick,” Wheeler coach Mark Collins said. “She’s good enough to pitch. This isn’t a game where we’re just throwing her out there. She’s one of our top five pitchers, and the guys know she can play. Nobody has a problem with her getting the start.”

Collins said the opportunity was right for Lansdell to take the mound. Friday’s game will be the fourth this week for Wheeler, and Collins believes Lansdell’s arm has developed to a point where she can throw well and be successful.

“I have rules,” Collins said. “I don’t care who you are. If you put in the time, you will play. Work hard, do the right things and you can do what you want to do.

“She’s done that. I’ve gotten to know her and I’ve seen her throw. She’s in great shape, she’s a strong athlete, a great role model, an awesome teammate and she keeps her grades up. The best play for me. I don’t care who it is. Stamina will be the only thing because we don’t know how far she’ll go, but she’s ready.”
      wow, i didn't see this coming. didn't even know that it was possible. from todays marietta newspaper:
      Ashton Lansdell, believed to be the only girl to play varsity high school baseball in Cobb County, will now get a shot to play at the college level.

The recent Wheeler graduate recently announced her commitment to play baseball for Georgia Highlands College, a junior college program that plays its games at the Lake-Point Sporting Community in Emerson.

Lansdell will experience some change at the next level, as she will be moved from the pitcher’s mound to instead play center field and second base for the Chargers.

What will not change is the fact that Lansdell will once again be the only female player on her team.
      Make you wonder how many "gender fluid" men are playing Women's College Softball in California. :rolleyes:
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

it's been appealed and i think there is a greater chance that manfred will announce that pete rose has immediately been enshrined in the HOF than having the suspension reversed. :)
      MP, was correct suspension upheld for the very reason he states. Umpire called him safe initially, but New York overrules. If Lucroy is not hurt safe call probably stands. But due to the appearance and concern over concussions politics rules.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

MP, was correct suspension upheld for the very reason he states. Umpire called him safe initially, but New York overrules. If Lucroy is not hurt safe call probably stands. But due to the appearance and concern over concussions politics rules.
      i guess ole pete has to keep waiting... :)
      2,000 miler
    • Head case for head case trade. Trevor Bauer to Reds for Yasiel Puig. A few other players and SD Padres involved, but those are the principles.

The pitcher who hurls the ball over the center field wall for the guy who licks his bat. :rolleyes:
    • Astro wrote:

Head case for head case trade. Trevor Bauer to Reds for Yasiel Puig. A few other players and SD Padres involved, but those are the principles.

The pitcher who hurls the ball over the center field wall for the guy who licks his bat. :rolleyes:
      bauer acts like a 13 year old boy with all his references to 69 and 420. and lets not forget the drone incident.

puig is just an exciteable cuban. :)

i remember puigs first few games when he hit the majors. kornheiser on PTI was amazed at his abiity and i bet he talked about him every day that first week.
      2,000 miler
    • A simple rule is that any player who leaves his position is immediately ejected. (if you are not fielding, batting, on deck, coaching, or on base, your position is the dugout). Once you can't field a team, you forfeit. In this event, all players are ejected so the game is over and both teams are credited with a loss. Now if a team is smart, when the other team's player is stupid enough to rush the dugout, you let him. Once you drag him into your dugout, if the other team comes to his rescue, they will all be ejected and only that team will forfeit.
    • It is great having a GM an owner that know how to go all in when it really matters! :thumbup:

With Greinke, Verlander, and Garrit Cole no one can match up with Astros big 3. And Wade Miley is having a solid year too. Along with everyone back now in arguably the best starting lineup, just need to hope everyone stays healthy for the rest of the year.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Astro wrote:

It is great having a GM an owner that know how to go all in when it really matters! :thumbup:

With Greinke, Verlander, and Garrit Cole no one can match up with Astros big 3. And Wade Miley is having a solid year too. Along with everyone back now in arguably the best starting lineup, just need to hope everyone stays healthy for the rest of the year.
      sports illustrated says possibly the best starting 3 since the braves maddux, glavine, and smoltz.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

It is great having a GM an owner that know how to go all in when it really matters! :thumbup:

sports illustrated says possibly the best starting 3 since the braves maddux, glavine, and smoltz.
      I just hope in their 3 months together they can still win as many championships as those 3 HOF won in 10 years. :)
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

I just hope in their 3 months together they can still win as many championships as those 3 HOF won in 10 years. :)
      that hurts!!!
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

that hurts!!!
      Hey, while "America's team" was not my team, I personally wish they had won a lot more championships. Especially every year the stinking Yankees did!
    • I guess I am getting like the bumper stickers i saw growing up that said my two favorite teams are the Florida Gators and who ever FSU is playing. My two favorite teams are the Astros and who ever is playing (and hopefully beating) the Yankees.
    • Last year Lunhow also probably had the biggest deadline trade worked out for Bryce Harper until Washington Nationals owner backed out at last minute. I guess it is a good thing in the end because one of those prospects was key to the Greinke deal.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().