Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• wow...baseball takes a hard look at the future...

the most interesting change is buried in the last paragraph for some reason...don't miss it!

Major League Baseball testing new rules in independent Atlantic League

The new rules and equipment changes will go into effect when the season begins in late April and will include electronic plate umpire assistance in calling balls and strikes and a ban on overshifts.

As a “part 2’’ to last week’s announcement that Major League Baseball and the Atlantic League have reached an agreement allowing MLB to test experimental playing rules in the independent league, the two announced specifics Friday afternoon.

The new rules and equipment changes, which will go into effect when the league’s 2019 season begins in late April, include electronic plate umpire assistance in calling balls and strikes; requiring two infielders to be on each side of second base when the pitch is released (effectively eliminating overshifts); a ban on non-pitching change mound visits except in the case of a medical issue; pitchers having to face a minimum of three batters or reach the end of the inning before exiting a game, unless they are injured; increasing the physical size of the bases from 15 to 18 square inches, and reducing the time between innings from 2:05 to 1:45, according to a news release.

The Atlantic League is an eight-team league that includes the Long Island Ducks.

“Part of the goals of the partnership between Major League Baseball and the Atlantic League is to test the rules in order to study the potential impact,” Ducks president and general manager Michael Pfaff said. “ . . . I think that the Atlantic League has positioned itself as a high level of play that Major League Baseball recognizes as an ideal testing ground for these potential playing rules and equipment changes.

“If it works to improve the offense and player safety and quicken the pace of the game and [improve] fan engagement on the Atlantic League level, they’re going to be able to look at that and say, ‘We think it’s going to do the same on the Major League level.’ ”

Pfaff said plate umpires will wear an earpiece and relay the strike or ball call after receiving it from a radar track system known as TrackMan.
      “This is not replacing a home plate umpire,” Pfaff said. “ . . . Umpires will still call interference, check swings, plays at the plate, etc. . . . Having the TrackMan in place will benefit pitchers on pitches that are often not called because they’re missed by an umpire and [will benefit] pitchers that are able to exploit areas of the strike zone that traditionally haven’t been called but are strikes as defined by the rulebook. [Those pitches] are now going to be called.”

As far as elimination of the overshift, Pfaff said it will create more “defensive action and baserunning,’’ which is a major goal of the partnership.

MLB will analyze the effects of these changes before deciding on potential additional modifications during the All-Star break and in future seasons, the release said.

During the second half of this season, the pitching rubber will be moved back from 60 feet, 6 inches to 62 feet, 6 inches, with the objective of increasing player safety and the frequency of balls in play, Pfaff said. There will be no change to the height or slope of the mound.
      2,000 miler
    • looks like it's "baseball lite" for our future. that's okay, i care a lot less about it as time goes by. just about done with:
      greedy teams that don't care about winning (braves and company),
      cry baby pitchers (boo hoo ya pusses),
      players who can't speak english (is that legal),
      expensive tickets and food i wouldn't feed my dog (not for nothing they have bark in the park),
      and not to forget entitled fans like me (they just want your money dumbass).
    • max.patch wrote:

wow...baseball takes a hard look at the future...

the most interesting change is buried in the last paragraph for some reason...don't miss it!

The new rules and equipment changes, which will go into effect when the league’s 2019 season begins in late April, include electronic plate umpire assistance in calling balls and strikes; requiring two infielders to be on each side of second base when the pitch is released (effectively eliminating overshifts); a ban on non-pitching change mound visits except in the case of a medical issue; pitchers having to face a minimum of three batters or reach the end of the inning before exiting a game, unless they are injured; increasing the physical size of the bases from 15 to 18 square inches, and reducing the time between innings from 2:05 to 1:45, according to a news release.

During the second half of this season, the pitching rubber will be moved back from 60 feet, 6 inches to 62 feet, 6 inches, with the objective of increasing player safety and the frequency of balls in play, Pfaff said. There will be no change to the height or slope of the mound.
      Electronic calling of Ball and Strikes: I think the biggest effect will be on the play-by-play announcers who spent most of the game commenting about how bad the ump's calls are. They will have to find something useful to talk about.

Two infielders on each side of second base: I'm OK with it. I was never much for the statistical over-analysis of the game that created this strategy. I never figured out why batters just couldn't learn to "hit it where they ain't". But this rule would not prevent teams from bringing the right fielder in to be an extra short stop for right-handed pull hitters or outfield shifts. How about adding the same restriction to outfielders (at least one on each side of the field and none in the infield dirt.

No pointless mound visits: That would be great. But will they also prohibit team meetings on the mound? Then they will just use those to delay the game and then the coach will use sign language from the dugout.

Pitching to 3 batters or end of inning: I'm all for fewer pitching changes, but I read an article on this one recently and the author claimed that the best way to limit pitching changes would be to limit the number pitchers you could have on your roster. He proposed teams be allowed to have an emergency pitcher slot for some situations (like the NHL has an emergency goalie).

Making the base larger: Definitely. This will make for fewer runners getting lost on the way to first. Who can find that little base anyway?

Reducing time between innings: If you cut out of one 20 second commercial from the inning break, who is going to pay Harper's salary? The Phillies might need to renegotiate.

Move the mound back 2 feet: So why do you think this is the biggest change. I can see it gives a huge advantage to the batter. But I could also see it affecting the running game. I've read articles about how the distance between first and second and the distance between home and the mound are balanced so that it makes stealing bases possible, but not routine. By changing that balance by just a fraction of a second either way, you could make stealing so easy that a single becomes a double for all but the slowest runner, or make it so hard to steal that the running game is gone and we get even more empahsis on HR swings. By making the bases larger, they cut the distance from first to second by 4.5" and the mound changes gives the runner a slightly bigger jump. Both small, but together they could really shift the balance in favor of the runner.

One rule they should add (but didn't): Any player who leaves their position (that includes the dugout) to engage in a brawl is automatically ejected. All fights eliminated.
    • lol, last week on PTI kornheiser suggested moving the mound back, wilbon said that was "junk".

odd man out wrote:

One rule they should add (but didn't): Any player who leaves their position (that includes the dugout) to engage in a brawl is automatically ejected. All fights eliminated.
      in the NBA if you leave the bench during a fight you are suspended for a minimum of one game, lose your salary for the suspended game, and be fined up to 20K.
      2,000 miler
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

wow...baseball takes a hard look at the future...

.... One rule they should add (but didn't): Any player who leaves their position (that includes the dugout) to engage in a brawl is automatically ejected. All fights eliminated.
      that would be like nascar without wrecks, but i guess that fits with my "baseball lite" comment.
    • while baseball would have you believe opening day is just about a week away on march 28; that is not the case.

"opening day" for the seattle mariners and oakland athletics actually started today -- well, actually in the middle of the night (2:30 am on the west coast!!!) in tokyo where those teams have a 2 game series.

it's the unofficial "45 year old ichiro goodbye tour" who just may never play again after this 2 game series is over. and to make matters worse he only played 4 innings and was pulled after a pop up out and a base on balls.

this is absolutely ridiculous.

edit to add: just watched PTI on ESPN. wilbon called it "dumb" and "preposterous" and said that opening day "starts in cincinnati, ohio" and this what happens when you "turn your sport over to the marketing department".
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• ichiro goes 0-4 in game two; retires.

on "opening day" oakland is starting off with 0-2 record while seattle is running away from everyone at 2-0.

edit to add: i just looked at the box scores again -- oakland was the home team for both games. this makes absolutely no sense to me.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• the headline: jump ahead to the 13 minute mark and hear alex bregman say that he's going to win 14 straight MVPs and then probably retire. :)

the full story: this was right after surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow and he was still woozy from the anesthesia. he thinks he probably meant to say 14 straight all star games as mike trout is still in the league.

2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• heckuva of a way to get season ending surgery...

Diamondbacks outfielder Steven Souza Jr. is out for the season.

The right fielder suffered a knee injury on a play at the plate in Arizona's game Monday and the team later announced he will need surgery to repair the damage.

After undergoing an MRI on Tuesday, Souza was diagnosed with an ACL tear, LCL tear, partial PCL tear, and posterior lateral capsule tear in his left knee.

2,000 miler
    • to be honest, if i had to guess -- i woulda said baseball woulda been the last, not the first.

Four-man outfields. High-tech anti-spying rules. A starting pitcher facing just one batter in a playoff game.

But beyond all the shifts, analytics and social media outreach, here’s the best way to tell Major League Baseball has zoomed into a new era: There’s not a single active player left from the 20th century.

Not one.

Adrian Beltre and Bartolo Colon were the last, the Elias Sports Bureau said. And with all 30 teams set to play Thursday — from Bryce Harper’s home debut at Citizens Bank Park to Mookie Betts and the champion Boston Red Sox visiting Seattle — this year MLB becomes the first of the four major sports without someone still around who played in the 1900s.
      2,000 miler
    • while driving i learned that the braves just signed ronald acuna to an 8 year, $100 million dollar contract.

the sirius/xm host went on to say (obviously tongue in cheek) that the FBI should investigate as acuna left $50-$60 million on the table.

with the generational money that all 3 major sports leagues are throwing around, it's clear that the taxpayers don't need to be paying for stadiums any longer. i'd like to think that this will change. but i know that it won't.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

while driving i learned that the braves just signed ronald acuna to an 8 year, $100 million dollar contract.

the sirius/xm host went on to say (obviously tongue in cheek) that the FBI should investigate as acuna left $50-$60 million on the table.

with the generational money that all 3 major sports leagues are throwing around, it's clear that the taxpayers don't need to be paying for stadiums any longer. i'd like to think that this will change. but i know that it won't.
      he's a 21 year old flash in the pan at this point. both he and the braves are out on a limb on this (but not too far). besides, i bet he's already in debt. can't expect a boy to live on his 500k first year salary!
    • chief wrote:

max.patch wrote:

while driving i learned that the braves just signed ronald acuna to an 8 year, $100 million dollar contract.

he's a 21 year old flash in the pan at this point. both he and the braves are out on a limb on this (but not too far). besides, i bet he's already in debt. can't expect a boy to live on his 500k first year salary!
      It's all about sharing risk and coming to a mutual agreement. And like in most (if not all) things is life sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. And I guess sometimes you break even, but I will stop now before this sound too much like a Kenny Rogers song. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • What is happening is baseball is the disappearing middle class. At $555,000 the young players for the most part are overpaid for the first few years until they reach arbitration. That is except the special ones like Acuna, Bregman, and that is why their organizations were willing to give them and some of the others who signed contracts giving up arbitration/free agency for guaranteed larger salaries now.

The superstars (Trout, Harper, Machado, Arenado) are still going to get their big contracts. But middle class after cashing in on arbitration for a few years, are finding that teams are not going to go crazy over them with free agent money. That is why Moustakas has been playing on one year contracts, and Gattis, Bautista, Edwin Jackson, Barto Colon and others are not signed, and others took minor league deals. And then you have Kimbrel and Keuchel expecting elite deals when the GMs are wising up.

This will probably be addressed some how with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), but then they will other ways to adjust to it.
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro - I've been waiting to hear from you about the Ron Kulpa situation...

boston.cbslocal.com/2019/04/04…incident-astros-aj-hinch/

I think this article got it right.
      Yeah, he is terrible and it hurt us this time.
      But I hate to complain too much about officiating when my team is down. Makes it appear like you are just looking for an excuse, when I know we need to improve our situational hitting (leaving too many on base).
    • chris davis of the orioles is an incredible 0/17 this year with 11 strikeouts.

even more incredible, dating back to last year he is now 0 for his last 38 at bats and is threatening the MLB record of 0 for 46.

and even more unbelievable, he is in year 4 of a 7 year $161 million contract.

i guess $23 million a year doesn't buy ya as much as it used to.

i think "crush" needs a new nickname.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

chris "crush" davis was 0-5 monday and is now on an 0/49 streak going back to last season. he now holds the MLB record for futility.
      And he is less than half way through his 7 year $161 million deal.
      Although I am sure he is still cashing the checks. Good work if you can get it. :)
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

chris "crush" davis was 0-5 monday and is now on an 0/49 streak going back to last season. he now holds the MLB record for futility.
      And he is less than half way through his 7 year $161 million deal.Although I am sure he is still cashing the checks. Good work if you can get it. :)
      fans are booing the wrong person. they should be booing the general manager who gave him the contract.
      2,000 miler
    • chief wrote:

back in the day camden yards was a rat infested warehouse district and it was easy to be an orioles fan. these days oriole fans should be booed and camden yards is still rat infested.
      The ballpark itself was in good shape two years ago when my son and I caught the Astros in a couple of games there. I liked the statues of the Robinson's and Earl Weaver. Probably also one of Eddie Muarry.
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

And he is less than half way through his 7 year $161 million deal.Although I am sure he is still cashing the checks. Good work if you can get it. :)
      fans are booing the wrong person. they should be booing the general manager who gave him the contract.
      Of course he has been fired. Astros former Assistant GM took over this winter.
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

back in the day camden yards was a rat infested warehouse district and it was easy to be an orioles fan. these days oriole fans should be booed and camden yards is still rat infested.
      The ballpark itself was in good shape two years ago when my son and I caught the Astros in a couple of games there. I liked the statues of the Robinson's and Earl Weaver. Probably also one of Eddie Muarry.
      i was in DC in the mid 90's and caught an afternoon game there and enjoyed the experience. lot of street vendors selling good food just outside the stadium. the rats musta liked the food too. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

i was in DC in the mid 90's and caught an afternoon game there and enjoyed the experience. lot of street vendors selling good food just outside the stadium. the rats musta liked the food too. :)
      yeah, it puts on a pretty face for the tourists, but when the lights go out and the fans go home, the vermin comes out. jeez, i'm talking about camden yards and baltimore, but it sure sounds like new orleans, the queen city of vile underbelly.