Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Max Scherzer goes 1 for 1 with an rbi and a run scored and raises his batting average to .292 -- but the reason i'm posting is that he now has a 5 game hitting streak which is pretty incredible if ya think about it. goes without saying that is currently the longest hitting streak by a pitcher in the majors.
      Really wish the AL would drop the DH. "Real" baseball makes for a much more interesting game.
      I'll second that, but it ain't gonna happen.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Max Scherzer goes 1 for 1 with an rbi and a run scored and raises his batting average to .292 -- but the reason i'm posting is that he now has a 5 game hitting streak which is pretty incredible if ya think about it. goes without saying that is currently the longest hitting streak by a pitcher in the majors.
      Really wish the AL would drop the DH. "Real" baseball makes for a much more interesting game.
      I'll second that, but it ain't gonna happen.
      Yeah, unfortunately the players union has a lot more power than the fans do.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

max.patch wrote:

astro, since you're our resident baseball expert i'm giving you the responsibility of giving us an update on big al in 10 years. :)

Will do assuming we are all still around in 10 years. :D
      They are supposed to be doing a prequel to the Sandlot. Perhaps if that kid could act a little too, he might have a role.
    • New

max.patch wrote:

here's one way to steal third ya don't see every day.

Butch Hobson has had an interesting life. After playing QB for Bear Bryant at Alabama he went on be a star 3B for the Red Sox and eventually their manager. Later after a drug bust while managing in AAA the MLB clubs pretty much wrote him off. Great to see him still managing in the independent leagues. Never a boring character.
    • New

max.patch wrote:

i go to one rome braves game a year -- but i wasn't at this one.

history made last nite -- first 2 pitch complete inning in baseball.

edit to add: 2 pitches -- 2 line drives -- 3 outs. sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

They started using the "international rules" in extra innings in MiLB to speed up the games and make them more interesting. In this case it definitely worked. :)
    • New

braves vs marlins doubleheader.

first game ronald acuna leads off with a home run.
      second game ronald acuna leads off with a home run.

thats only the 4th time that has happened. 2 of the other 3 are in the HOF.

BTY, thats 4 games in a row he has homered, making him the youngest player (20) to do so since 1920 (the "modern era").
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• New

max.patch wrote:

braves vs marlins doubleheader.

first game ronald acuna leads off with a home run.
      second game ronald acuna leads off with a home run.

thats only the 4th time that has happened. 2 of the other 3 are in the HOF.

BTY, thats 4 games in a row he has homered, making him the youngest player (20) to do so since 1920 (the "modern era").
      Isn't it funny, with all the excitement around Acuna his interview interpreter is becoming a celebrity himself?

Earlier this season, I said I would temper my excitement until I was convinced. Okay, it's mid August and it's time to get really excited if you're a Braves fan. They may or may not win the pennant this time, but the next several seasons should be a lot of fun.
    • New

atlanta braves ronald acuna hit a leadoff home run in both games of mondays doubleheader. he did the same thing on tuesday (he has now hit homeruns in 5 consecutive games). so...did he continue his streak with the first pitch tonight? let's take a look and see if he can hit a lead off homerun for the 4th consecutive game...

braves are in the right side box.

this part of baseball is bullspit.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• New

max.patch wrote:

atlanta braves ronald acuna hit a leadoff home run in both games of mondays doubleheader. he did the same thing on tuesday (he has now hit homeruns in 5 consecutive games). so...did he continue his streak with the first pitch tonight? let's take a look and see if he can hit a lead off homerun for the 4th consecutive game...

braves are in the right side box.

this part of baseball is bullspit.
      He obviously is locked in, so I can see pitching him outside the zone and trying to get him to chase and potentially walking him if he doesn't. But that is bush league. :thumbdown: