Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Max Scherzer goes 1 for 1 with an rbi and a run scored and raises his batting average to .292 -- but the reason i'm posting is that he now has a 5 game hitting streak which is pretty incredible if ya think about it. goes without saying that is currently the longest hitting streak by a pitcher in the majors.
      Really wish the AL would drop the DH. "Real" baseball makes for a much more interesting game.
      I'll second that, but it ain't gonna happen.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Max Scherzer goes 1 for 1 with an rbi and a run scored and raises his batting average to .292 -- but the reason i'm posting is that he now has a 5 game hitting streak which is pretty incredible if ya think about it. goes without saying that is currently the longest hitting streak by a pitcher in the majors.
      Really wish the AL would drop the DH. "Real" baseball makes for a much more interesting game.
      I'll second that, but it ain't gonna happen.
      Yeah, unfortunately the players union has a lot more power than the fans do.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

astro, since you're our resident baseball expert i'm giving you the responsibility of giving us an update on big al in 10 years. :)

Will do assuming we are all still around in 10 years. :D
      They are supposed to be doing a prequel to the Sandlot. Perhaps if that kid could act a little too, he might have a role.
    • max.patch wrote:

here's one way to steal third ya don't see every day.

Butch Hobson has had an interesting life. After playing QB for Bear Bryant at Alabama he went on be a star 3B for the Red Sox and eventually their manager. Later after a drug bust while managing in AAA the MLB clubs pretty much wrote him off. Great to see him still managing in the independent leagues. Never a boring character.
    • max.patch wrote:

i go to one rome braves game a year -- but i wasn't at this one.

history made last nite -- first 2 pitch complete inning in baseball.

edit to add: 2 pitches -- 2 line drives -- 3 outs. sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

They started using the "international rules" in extra innings in MiLB to speed up the games and make them more interesting. In this case it definitely worked. :)
    • braves vs marlins doubleheader.

first game ronald acuna leads off with a home run.
      second game ronald acuna leads off with a home run.

thats only the 4th time that has happened. 2 of the other 3 are in the HOF.

BTY, thats 4 games in a row he has homered, making him the youngest player (20) to do so since 1920 (the "modern era").
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

braves vs marlins doubleheader.

first game ronald acuna leads off with a home run.
      second game ronald acuna leads off with a home run.

thats only the 4th time that has happened. 2 of the other 3 are in the HOF.

BTY, thats 4 games in a row he has homered, making him the youngest player (20) to do so since 1920 (the "modern era").
      Isn't it funny, with all the excitement around Acuna his interview interpreter is becoming a celebrity himself?

Earlier this season, I said I would temper my excitement until I was convinced. Okay, it's mid August and it's time to get really excited if you're a Braves fan. They may or may not win the pennant this time, but the next several seasons should be a lot of fun.
    • atlanta braves ronald acuna hit a leadoff home run in both games of mondays doubleheader. he did the same thing on tuesday (he has now hit homeruns in 5 consecutive games). so...did he continue his streak with the first pitch tonight? let's take a look and see if he can hit a lead off homerun for the 4th consecutive game...

braves are in the right side box.

this part of baseball is bullspit.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

atlanta braves ronald acuna hit a leadoff home run in both games of mondays doubleheader. he did the same thing on tuesday (he has now hit homeruns in 5 consecutive games). so...did he continue his streak with the first pitch tonight? let's take a look and see if he can hit a lead off homerun for the 4th consecutive game...

braves are in the right side box.

this part of baseball is bullspit.
      He obviously is locked in, so I can see pitching him outside the zone and trying to get him to chase and potentially walking him if he doesn't. But that is bush league. :thumbdown:
    • here's something that ya only see every 106 years.

edit to add: saw this write up on usa today.

After a walk and two singles to open the top of the fourth inning against the Rangers on Thursday, the Angels appeared certain to have a run-scoring rally in the works. Batting with the bases loaded, David Fletcher ripped a ball to the left side of the infield.

Rangers third baseman Jurickson Profar corralled the worm-burner with a diving stop, stepped on third for a force out, then tagged out a confused-seeming Taylor Ward as he strayed off third base toward home. Profar then alertly threw to second in plenty of time for another force out — which completed the triple play and ended the inning — but no one besides Profar appeared to realize what had happened. Second baseman Rougned Odor chased down baserunner Kole Calhoun between first and second even though he didn’t have to as Profar held his arms up in the air, like, “fellas, you’re wasting your time.”

(the reference to 106 years is that the batter was not part of the 3 outs.)

2,000 miler

• Astro wrote:

That was even crazier than the one I saw Todd Frazier hit into at Yankee stadium last year.
      the ole 5-4 triple play...i have to admit that i had to watch the video more than once before i was absolutely sure i understood exactly what happened -- but i don't feel bad about that as some of the players didn't have a clue either. :)
      2,000 miler

• what do these 13 players have in common?

(the first 9 are in the HOF, rodriguez won't make it because of steroids, and we'll have to wait a while on stanton and harper.)

Frank Robinson, Mel Ott, Al Kaline, Eddie Mathews, Orland Cepeda, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr., Mickey Mantle, Alex Rodriguez, Tony Conigliaro, Giancarlo Stanton, Bryce Harper.

if you said they are a list of all players who hit 20 HR's before turning 21 you'd almost be right.

last week ronald acuna became number 14.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

what do these 13 players have in common?

(the first 9 are in the HOF, rodriguez won't make it because of steroids, and we'll have to wait a while on stanton and harper.)

Frank Robinson, Mel Ott, Al Kaline, Eddie Mathews, Orland Cepeda, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr., Mickey Mantle, Alex Rodriguez, Tony Conigliaro, Giancarlo Stanton, Bryce Harper.

if you said they are a list of all players who hit 20 HR's before turning 21 you'd almost be right.

Tony Conigliaro might had 800 if he had not been hit by that Jack Hamilton pitch. Big reason helmets have ear flaps now. Having the "real" Tony C probably could have flipped the balance in 1975.
      For you Braves fans let's hope Ronald Acuna get to live up to his full potential.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

what do these 13 players have in common?

Tony Conigliaro might had 800 if he had not been hit by that Jack Hamilton pitch. Big reason helmets have ear flaps now. Having the "real" Tony C probably could have flipped the balance in 1975.For you Braves fans let's hope Ronald Acuna get to live up to his full potential.
      i'll remember that picture of him in the hospital with that humongous black eye as long as i live.
      2,000 miler
    • I love baseball and math, so naturally appreciate sabermetrics.
      But last night I watch the A's beat the Astros in 9th when they score the winning run off two "hits" that would have been outs if the Astro's had been playing striaght up and not been shifting so much (based on the statistical analysis). :(
      So today's game Astros and A's tied again in the 9th when Tyler White falls behind 0-2 with Familia pitching and the statistical analysis gave him a 1% chance of getting a hit. So what does he do, naturally hits a walk off home run. :)

I certainly still believing in playing the percentages and statistical analysis, but sort of funny when back-to-back pennant race games decided by just the opposite of what was expected. :rolleyes:
    • max.patch wrote:

hittin the ball outta the park will beat the shift every time!

but 1% chance of a hit? over the course of a season that's 5 hit's in 500 at bats?! i'd say one of the sabermetricians had a faulty formula.
      Maybe so, but it was an 0-2 count with a right handed hitter against a tough right handed pitcher. Who knows it was really 10% and the guy misread it on the air.
    • chief wrote:

max.patch wrote:

25 straight starts allowing 3 or fewer runs. 1.68 era.

will the voters have the cojones to give the cy young award to a pitcher with an 8-8 record on a team that isn't going anywhere?

they should.
      it's all in the haircut.
      last year it was "the hair distracts the batters" and this year it's "cutting my hair gives me 2 mph more on my fastball".

i bet he hasn't changed his underwear the last 25 starts. :)
      2,000 miler

• max.patch wrote:

will the voters have the cojones to give the cy young award to a pitcher with an 8-8 record on a team that isn't going anywhere?

they should.
      I can see his case, but I also look back at Steve Carlton in 1972 when he won 27 games even though his team only won 59 (46%). Of course he threw 30 CG and well over 300 innings. Seems like if he threw a little deeper in games he might have more wins.
    • max.patch wrote:

it's hard to get thrown on a walk -- some would say impossible --but the nationals somehow managed it last nite.

video should be like 5-10 seconds longer -- but y'all can easily figure it out.

twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1037129991761354752
      Took me a second. Odd play. Funny thing is that the runner would have been safe if he had been tagged before getting to the base. Clearly he should have run slower.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

they should.
      I can see his case, but I also look back at Steve Carlton in 1972 when he won 27 games even though his team only won 59 (46%). Of course he threw 30 CG and well over 300 innings. Seems like if he threw a little deeper in games he might have more wins.
      if my source is correct it's a tight race for most complete games this year with 5 players tied with...2.

another 28 pitchers (including deGrom) if i counted correctly have thrown 1 complete game.

baseball-reference.com/leagues…18-pitching-leaders.shtml
      2,000 miler