Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• sanchez obviously has a lack of common sense...

Atlanta Braves pitcher Anibal Sanchez had his hotel room burglarized this weekend while he was on the mound against the Dodgers ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us Sanchez's room was broken into Saturday night while the RHP pitched against the boys in blue as the Braves were in L.A. We're told Sanchez was staying at a hotel near DTLA, and that there doesn't appear any forced entry to his suite.

Sources say more than $100,000 in jewelry were stolen from Sanchez's room, which included 4 watches, among other items. Police are currently investigating the matter.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

sanchez obviously has a lack of common sense...

Atlanta Braves pitcher Anibal Sanchez had his hotel room burglarized this weekend while he was on the mound against the Dodgers ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us Sanchez's room was broken into Saturday night while the RHP pitched against the boys in blue as the Braves were in L.A. We're told Sanchez was staying at a hotel near DTLA, and that there doesn't appear any forced entry to his suite.

Sources say more than $100,000 in jewelry were stolen from Sanchez's room, which included 4 watches, among other items. Police are currently investigating the matter.
      Easy come, easy go. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Nice story...

A Minnesota High School student is pitching against a childhood friend to determine which team goes to the Sate Championships. Watch what happens...

the catcher had to be thinking WTF when the pitcher blew right past him to get to his friend.
      WTF indeed, you celebrate with your team mates first and then you needle your friend about striking his ass out.
    • I was at our single A minor league team game last week. The program listed rule changes for this season. It seems like a few of them were intended to speed up the game, such as limits on managers trips to the mound, a time limit far a pitcher to start his wind up, and extra innings start with a runner on second.
    • can't make up headlines like this one from usa today:

Phillie Phanatic's wayward wiener hits woman in face, causes injuries

A woman sitting behind home plate at a Philadelphia Phillies game Monday night is recovering from facial injuries she suffered when she was hit by a flying hot dog.
      The errant hot dog was wrapped in duct tape (to keep it intact) and launched by the team's mascot, the Phillie Phanatic, as part of a routine seen at games for years.
      Unfortunately this time, Kathy McVay of Plymouth Meeting, Pa., was unable to catch or deflect the projectile because of an injured shoulder. She was struck just below her right eye with enough force to knock off her glasses and send her for a CT scan to make sure she didn't have a concussion.
      "It just came out of nowhere. And hard," McVay told Philadelphia TV station WPVI

pic of the weiner shooting machine:

[IMG:https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/7553581e135d7b7d4ae137214e09b11aa6105036/c=0-77-3376-2615&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2018/06/20/USATODAY/USATODAY/636651251466157044-phanatic-hotdog.jpg]
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

can't make up headlines like this one from usa today:

A woman sitting behind home plate at a Philadelphia Phillies game Monday night is recovering from facial injuries she suffered when she was hit by a flying hot dog.
      The errant hot dog was wrapped in duct tape (to keep it intact) and launched by the team's mascot, the Phillie Phanatic, as part of a routine seen at games for years.
      Unfortunately this time, Kathy McVay of Plymouth Meeting, Pa., was unable to catch or deflect the projectile because of an injured shoulder. She was struck just below her right eye with enough force to knock off her glasses and send her for a CT scan to make sure she didn't have a concussion.
      "It just came out of nowhere. And hard," McVay told Philadelphia TV station WPVI

[IMG:https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/7553581e135d7b7d4ae137214e09b11aa6105036/c=0-77-3376-2615&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2018/06/20/USATODAY/USATODAY/636651251466157044-phanatic-hotdog.jpg]
      When I read that headline I thought the story was going somewhere else and that the team mascot was going to end up in handcuffs.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

When I read that headline I thought the story was going somewhere else and that the team mascot was going to end up in handcuffs.
      pretty risque headline for usa today!
      2,000 miler
    • from SI:

70 year old johnny bench lives in florida. his 45 year old soon to be ex wife lives in california. they have two boys, 8 and 12 years old. johnny has primary custody.

at 6:30 a.m he's making breakfast for the kids before driving them to school. at 70 years old.

i'm glad i'm not johnny bench.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

from SI:

70 year old johnny bench lives in florida. his 45 year old soon to be ex wife lives in california. they have two boys, 8 and 12 years old. johnny has primary custody.

at 6:30 a.m he's making breakfast for the kids before driving them to school. at 70 years old.

i'm glad i'm not johnny bench.
      That is why I married my "trophy wife" the first time at 30.
      Rough enough having a high school senior at my age, don't even want to think of little ones at 70. That is the age you are supposed to spoil your grandchildren for a day and then send them home. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Trebor wrote:

The Braves management completely dismantled last years team. Their idea was to spend money and trade good players to boost the bullpen. They failed miserably as the Braves are 0-6. At this rate the attendance will get so low that they wont be able to pay the light bill at the new stadium. Sure hope things turn around as the season progresses.......
      Have faith, they are doing the right thing. I bet they will be contending by 2018, if not 2017.
      The worst thing is the purgatory of year-end year-out .500 teams.
      I knew the Braves we're on the right track! :thumbup:
      Past the halfway point and still in first place. Beat the Yankees last night in extra innings at Yankee stadium!
      They should be set to compete for the next 5 years. Would not go crazy at the trade deadline. Just picking up a rental 3B like Moostaukis or Todd Fraizer should help with out giving too much of the young pitching away.
      Foltzy finally figuring it out, but I am grateful for the past few years of Evan Gattis while he struggled.

Philadelphia should also be a force over the next 5 years. Not for sure about Washington's future with Harper probably gone. And they always seem to choke in the playoffs.
    • max.patch wrote:

They once delayed a game because he had left a bag of hotdogs (they are wrapped in aluminum foil) somewhere in the stadium. They called in the bomb squad before they figured out what it was.
    • score after 6 innings:

dodgers 17, pirates 1

caleb ferguson relieves alex wood and goes the rest of way getting the save.

that can't be right, i think. but i'm the basketball guy so what do i know?

i checked the rules. it's right.

a 17-1 "save". who woulda thunk it?

(edit to add: it was his first major league save and it came on his 22nd birthday.)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

score after 6 innings:

dodgers 17, pirates 1

caleb ferguson relieves alex wood and goes the rest of way getting the save.

that can't be right, i think. but i'm the basketball guy so what do i know?

i checked the rules. it's right.

a 17-1 "save". who woulda thunk it?

(edit to add: it was his first major league save and it came on his 22nd birthday.)
      He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or. He enters the game, regardless of the score, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat, or on deck; or. He pitches for at least three innings.

Right or wrong, per the rule he got it for pitching the last 3 innings.
    • yeah, i think we all know the first 2 rules...but the 3rd one was new to me. i had no idea that you could theoretically enter the game in the 7th as a reliever with a 100 run lead, give up 99 runs in your 3 innings of work, and still be awarded a save. doesn't seem right to my way of thinking.
      2,000 miler
    • Was looking at the MLB standing. Interesting that there seems to be a lot more parity in the NL than the AL. There are four AL teams with better records than the best team in the NL team and there are three AL teams with worse records than the worst NL team. Or to put it another way, the Orioles are 38.5 games behind Boston, but the Marlins are only 18 games behind the Brewers.
    • odd man out wrote:

Was looking at the MLB standing. Interesting that there seems to be a lot more parity in the NL than the AL. There are four AL teams with better records than the best team in the NL team and there are three AL teams with worse records than the worst NL team. Or to put it another way, the Orioles are 38.5 games behind Boston, but the Marlins are only 18 games behind the Brewers.
      As a Red Sox fan I am excited by their fantastic year so far and especially the fact that they are ahead of the Yankees. That said, I also recognize that the economic disparity among the wealthy and small market teams is terrible for baseball. Clearly the 'luxury tax' is not a strong enough mechanism. Perhaps baseball should finally implement a salary cap.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

score after 6 innings:

dodgers 17, pirates 1...
      Heading to PNC Park to see a game this weekend before my son moves out of Pittsburgh. I don't follow the Pirates, but I do hear that they're not doing well.

Just my luck that Saturday is a traditional double-header against the Brewers. I get to see the Pirates suck twice for the price of one ticket. Opted for club-level seats so I can head to the air-conditioned bar whenever I'm hot & thirsty.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • IMScotty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Was looking at the MLB standing. Interesting that there seems to be a lot more parity in the NL than the AL. There are four AL teams with better records than the best team in the NL team and there are three AL teams with worse records than the worst NL team. Or to put it another way, the Orioles are 38.5 games behind Boston, but the Marlins are only 18 games behind the Brewers.
      As a Red Sox fan I am excited by their fantastic year so far and especially the fact that they are ahead of the Yankees. That said, I also recognize that the economic disparity among the wealthy and small market teams is terrible for baseball. Clearly the 'luxury tax' is not a strong enough mechanism. Perhaps baseball should finally implement a salary cap.
      But wouldn't the disparity among wealthy and small markets also apply to the NL? Milwaukee is at the top of the NL and they are a classic small-market club.
    • You can still compete with a lower budget if you are smart (and then willing to invest some to sustain it).

Current examples are Astros and Brewers, and now Braves. Recent examples are Royals, Pirates, and Rays. And before that the "Money Ball" Oakland A's.

What gets people's attention is how the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, and Cubs can cover up their mistakes by just throwing more money at it.
    • i believe basketball and baseball should implement a hard cap. here's an example i posted last year:

Clayton Kershaw vs. The Padres

Yes, baseball's greatest pitcher and highest-paid player earns more money than the team he'll face on Opening Day at Dodger Stadium.

Kershaw will make $33 million in 2017, the second consecutive year he'll earn baseball's biggest salary. The San Diego Padres, meanwhile, will line up 25 players making a combined $29.6 million.
      2,000 miler
    • while we're at it...the red sox are on pace to win 112 games; the yankees are on pace to win 107 games.

the season ends with new york at boston for a 3 game series.

wouldn't that be an exciting series if they were playing to make the playoffs instead of playing to avoid the wild card game?
      2,000 miler
    • odd man out wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

But wouldn't the disparity among wealthy and small markets also apply to the NL? Milwaukee is at the top of the NL and they are a classic small-market club.
      how dare you introduce logic into a baseball argument.
    • chief wrote:

odd man out wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

how dare you introduce logic into a baseball argument.
      I also suggested rule changes to improve world cup soccer. Silly me.
    • you gotta be kidding!

Ever wonder what baseball would look like if extra innings were replaced by a home run derby?
      Well, this is about as close as you're going to get to seeing that happen. The only thing this strange contest managed to do was make Bud Selig circa 2002 look pretty smart.
      On Wednesday, the Double-A Eastern League held its annual All-Star Game in Trenton, N.J., and things got very weird after the East and West Divisions finished nine innings tied at 4-4. Per the league's rules, no extra innings were played and the game went into a special "hitting contest" to find a winner.

The host Trenton Thunder were kind enough to provide us with the rules:

Each manager selects one hitter from his roster
      -2:00 on the clock to hit as many balls as they can
      -Managers/coaches to pitch to their player
      -HRs worth 100 points
      -LF and RF worth 5 points
      -CF worth 10 points
      -Ball that hits the batters eye +50 points (or 150 points for the HR)

the exciting :( conclusion:

the east should put all star tim tebow up there...
      2,000 miler