Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• IMScotty wrote:

espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/231238…rk-yankees-boston-red-sox

Looks like the Red Sox / Yankees rivalry is back in full force

Would like to know everyone's opinion on Tyler Austin's slide. During the game I thought it was within the bounds of good baseball, but now that I have watched the replay at a number of different angles I think he was trying to spike the second baseman. Not that I want the umps to turn baseball into a pusillanimous affair, I am glad they let that call go. Still, retaliation was to be expected.

Looks like Alex Cora is a manager who will protect his players. Thank you Astros :)
      May have been more awkward than intentional, but still putting player at risk. Red Sox handled it the right way.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

chicks dig the long ball.

glavine said more people knew him from this commercial than from what he did on the field.

Hard to believe those are almost 20 years old. :)

But look at them now. Glavine and Maddux both first ballot HOF, while McGwire after 10 years fell off the ballot, and probably considers himself fortunate to have a job in baseball.
    • brandon belt of the giants sets a mlb record (well --- in the 30 years since they started keeping this stat) with a 21 pitch at bat. he fouled off 16 pitches, including 11 in a row with a 3-2 count. he finally flied out.

it would have been a better story if the home run he hit in the 5th had closed out this at bat.

13 minutes. ya coulda gone to the bathroom and bought a hot dog and beer and returned to your seat and not missed a thing.
      2,000 miler
    • I know it is only May, but look at the National League. Atlanta, Milwaukee, and Arizona are leading their divisions with the NY Mets and StL Cardinals as the wildcards and the Phillies just a half game off that! And the big three (Washington, Chicago Cubs, LA Dodgers) would all not be in the playoffs. :rolleyes:

Of course in the AL the big are all in first (Boston, Cleveland, Houston) with the NY Yankees as the top Wildcard.
    • Busy day yesterday. My oldest son graduated from college and I got to be part of the program on stage (opening prayer). Then I hurried over to my youngest son's baseball game in the Regional tournament already in the fourth inning. Next at bat he goes deep again. Then next inning goes out in the field takes a rocket shot off the chin. Blood flowing good but they bandage him up to get him thru the final two innings. Then they stitched him up during the umpire break between his next game.
      Then today he was the Junior usher for his high school graduation. Looked funny in coat and tie with bruise and stitches.
      Images
      • IMG_20180505_153010000.jpg

95.64 kB, 800×450, viewed 309 times
    • Astro wrote:

Busy day yesterday. My oldest son graduated from college and I got to be part of the program on stage (opening prayer). Then I hurried over to my youngest son's baseball game in the Regional tournament already in the fourth inning. Next at bat he goes deep again. Then next inning goes out in the field takes a rocket shot off the chin. Blood flowing good but they bandage him up to get him thru the final two innings. Then they stitched him up during the umpire break between his next game.
      Then today he was the Junior usher for his high school graduation. Looked funny in coat and tie with bruise and stitches.
      sorry to hear that, though I’m sure he’s wearin’ em with pride. My kid was pitching once and took a line drive to the nose, Broken! never even got his glove up I’m told (I was working that day) they said it was a bloody messy mound and had to break out the rakes. He played left field after that. :D
    • I always liked the unwritten etiquette rules of baseball. When the catcher gets nailed, the ump decides it's time to give home plate a good sweeping, and when the ump gets nailed, the catcher decides it's a good time for a visit the mound. I can imagine the conversation. "Hey, the ump just caught one in the nads so we need to kill a minute. How's the wife and kids? Is Jane out of rehab yet?"
    • odd man out wrote:

I always liked the unwritten etiquette rules of baseball. When the catcher gets nailed, the ump decides it's time to give home plate a good sweeping, and when the ump gets nailed, the catcher decides it's a good time for a visit the mound. I can imagine the conversation. "Hey, the ump just caught one in the nads so we need to kill a minute. How's the wife and kids? Is Jane out of rehab yet?"
      Only problem is if you have ignorant fans. This weekend opposing team catcher took a hard foul ball, so the Ump went out to talk to the pitcher, and their fans starting yelling at the ump. :rolleyes:
    • Jake Ace wrote:

How bout that Mets Cinncinatti trade, show up to work in a Mets uniform, “here puts this on”...Reds uniform. Where’s the love after salary caps, and free agency?
      Wasn't there a guy who got traded in the middle of a double header so he played the top half for one team and the bottom half for the other?

I also seem to recall hearing about a guy who got traded for himself. It was one of those "players to be named later" deals. When things did work out for the the team that got him, he was sent back to the original team as the player named later.
    • odd man out wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

How bout that Mets Cinncinatti trade, show up to work in a Mets uniform, “here puts this on”...Reds uniform. Where’s the love after salary caps, and free agency?
      Wasn't there a guy who got traded in the middle of a double header so he played the top half for one team and the bottom half for the other?
      I also seem to recall hearing about a guy who got traded for himself. It was one of those "players to be named later" deals. When things did work out for the the team that got him, he was sent back to the original team as the player named later.
      The case of being traded during a double header involved two players switching teams.

and

According to Wikipedia, four people have been traded for themselves:
    • Youngest son's team won semifinal and will play in state championship game next weekend. Freshman year they lost in semifinal, won state championship last year, so regardless of what happenes next week, it has been a good three year run! :thumbup:
    • max.patch wrote:

so robinson cano is the latest idiot who thinks he's smart enough to beat the baseball PED testing system.

i like what justin verlanderr has to say...ya get caught -- ya get banned.

and the yankees are thinkin they dodged a bullet!
      Cashman said he had suspicion prior to him signing with Seattle. Then he sorta tried to back away from the comment.

nydailynews.com/sports/basebal…-doping-article-1.3991961
    • in other news - MLB got it's silly way with Ben Zobrist (Cubs RF), he wore blue shoes in last night's game with the braves. as he approached the plate in his first at bat, they played "paint it black". I don't know whos idea that was, but I thought it was a good touch.
    • chief wrote:

in other news - MLB got it's silly way with Ben Zobrist (Cubs RF), he wore blue shoes in last night's game with the braves. as he approached the plate in his first at bat, they played "paint it black". I don't know whos idea that was, but I thought it was a good touch.
      My son's summer showcase team gave him brand new red cleats that still fit, but he could not wear this spring because his coach only allows black shoes (even in practice). So mid-season I had to buy new black cleats (when the old black ones wore out). I guess after he plays the state championship game Friday, he can go back to wearing the red ones again. :rolleyes:
    • Astro wrote:

Youngest son's team won semifinal and will play in state championship game next weekend. Freshman year they lost in semifinal, won state championship last year, so regardless of what happenes next week, it has been a good three year run! :thumbup:
      Won 4-3 today, so back to back State Championships! :thumbup:
    • Probably time for the Toronto Blue Jays to start trading Donaldson, Granderson, Morales, and anyone else they do not feel will be contributing a couple of years from now. They are already 11 games back, but help is on the way with top prospects in AA infield. Vladimir Guerrero Jr at 3B, Bo Bishette at SS, and Cavan Biggio at 2B. That is two Hall of Famers kids, and Dante could hit too. Would be neat if the three of them stick together.
    • I was at the brew pub this week watching the Tigers and saw a peculiar play. The ball was hit sharply to the 2nd baseman who thew the ball to the SS for a force out at 2nd who then thew the ball to 3rd to force out the runner returning to the base. I thought perhaps it was a triple play on a bases loaded hit and run, but the players were acting as if was a routine play, so I was confused. Then I remembered that from where I was sitting, I couldn't see the TV over the bar so I was watching in a large mirror on the opposite wall. I eventually realized what I saw was the mirror image of a routine 6-4-3 double play. Then I thought that baseball may be the most chiral of sports, in that it looks completely different in a mirror. In contrast, football, basketball, hockey, golf, soccer, and tennis would, for the most part, not appear significantly different in a mirror. Noticing symmetry is an occupational hazzard.
    • Astro wrote:

Looking forward to when Yankees play Tigers. Sanchez going down for sure after throwing that sucker punch last year.
      Took a little longer than expected but Mike Fiers took care of business. :thumbup:
      While I will always remember him for the no-hitter he pitched against the LA Dodgers when my son and I were at an Astros game, I also remember him being an old school guy who takes care of things like this.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Astro wrote:

Probably time for the Toronto Blue Jays to start trading Donaldson, Granderson, Morales, and anyone else they do not feel will be contributing a couple of years from now. They are already 11 games back, but help is on the way with top prospects in AA infield. Vladimir Guerrero Jr at 3B, Bo Bishette at SS, and Cavan Biggio at 2B. That is two Hall of Famers kids, and Dante could hit too. Would be neat if the three of them stick together.
      Blue Jays are serious about this, they just drafted Griffin Conine in the 2nd round. Like his dad Jeff he is an outfielder now, but should also be able to move to 1B like his dad to give them an all MLB All Star sons infield in the future. :)