Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Foresight wrote:

I remember hanging out near Chief Nocahoma's tent during batting practice once and Bob Horner hit a ball so hard that we all scattered, lol. The damn thing hit the back of seat and bounced back onto the field. It was scary how hard he could hit a baseball.

On an unrelated note: Astro, I thought about you this weekend. I was watching a couple of documentaries on Netflix and made a note to relay them to you. The first is "Fastball" and the second is "Battered Bastards of Baseball", check them out if you haven't already, both are excellent.
      just watched the battered bastards of baseball -- didn't know the story -- and all i gotta say is...bing russell -- you da man!!!
      I always liked Kurt Russell, and you can see he gets some of it from his dad.
      Kurt is one of my favorites, his blonde lady friend is nice also.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Foresight wrote:

I remember hanging out near Chief Nocahoma's tent during batting practice once and Bob Horner hit a ball so hard that we all scattered, lol. The damn thing hit the back of seat and bounced back onto the field. It was scary how hard he could hit a baseball.

On an unrelated note: Astro, I thought about you this weekend. I was watching a couple of documentaries on Netflix and made a note to relay them to you. The first is "Fastball" and the second is "Battered Bastards of Baseball", check them out if you haven't already, both are excellent.
      just watched the battered bastards of baseball -- didn't know the story -- and all i gotta say is...bing russell -- you da man!!!
      I always liked Kurt Russell, and you can see he gets some of it from his dad.
      Kurt is one of my favorites, his blonde lady friend is nice also.
      I remember them being on a political show once and Goldie was way out there, and he was just sorta laughing at her, but you could tell he still loved her.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Ashton Lansdell is set to make history Friday when the Wheeler pitcher gets the start in a Region 2AAAAAAA baseball game against Pebblebrook.

Lansdell’s appearance will not be historic because of any arsenal of pitches, which include a curveball, a changeup and a roughly 75-mph fastball.

It will be because of gender.

A 5-foot-8 right-handed junior, Lansdell is poised to become the first female pitcher to start in a varsity game for a Cobb County school.

“This isn’t a gimmick,” Wheeler coach Mark Collins said. “She’s good enough to pitch. This isn’t a game where we’re just throwing her out there. She’s one of our top five pitchers, and the guys know she can play. Nobody has a problem with her getting the start.”

Collins said the opportunity was right for Lansdell to take the mound. Friday’s game will be the fourth this week for Wheeler, and Collins believes Lansdell’s arm has developed to a point where she can throw well and be successful.

“I have rules,” Collins said. “I don’t care who you are. If you put in the time, you will play. Work hard, do the right things and you can do what you want to do.

“She’s done that. I’ve gotten to know her and I’ve seen her throw. She’s in great shape, she’s a strong athlete, a great role model, an awesome teammate and she keeps her grades up. The best play for me. I don’t care who it is. Stamina will be the only thing because we don’t know how far she’ll go, but she’s ready.”
      2,000 miler
    • Jake Ace wrote:

you going to Florida? Watched the Yanks down to the Mets 4-1 top of eight, come back to win 11-4 (when I turned it off)...cra craAs the kids say.
      yep, but spring training will be over -- i'll catch the rays in the trop. always 72 degrees, never get rained on, and the top of my head doesn't get sunburnt. love that stadium!
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Ashton Lansdell is set to make history Friday when the Wheeler pitcher gets the start in a Region 2AAAAAAA baseball game against Pebblebrook.

Lansdell’s appearance will not be historic because of any arsenal of pitches, which include a curveball, a changeup and a roughly 75-mph fastball.

It will be because of gender.

A 5-foot-8 right-handed junior, Lansdell is poised to become the first female pitcher to start in a varsity game for a Cobb County school.

“This isn’t a gimmick,” Wheeler coach Mark Collins said. “She’s good enough to pitch. This isn’t a game where we’re just throwing her out there. She’s one of our top five pitchers, and the guys know she can play. Nobody has a problem with her getting the start.”

Collins said the opportunity was right for Lansdell to take the mound. Friday’s game will be the fourth this week for Wheeler, and Collins believes Lansdell’s arm has developed to a point where she can throw well and be successful.

“I have rules,” Collins said. “I don’t care who you are. If you put in the time, you will play. Work hard, do the right things and you can do what you want to do.

“She’s done that. I’ve gotten to know her and I’ve seen her throw. She’s in great shape, she’s a strong athlete, a great role model, an awesome teammate and she keeps her grades up. The best play for me. I don’t care who it is. Stamina will be the only thing because we don’t know how far she’ll go, but she’s ready.”
      See now there ya lost me, I’m more a get a hot dog and look at the pretty girl in section 213 while trying not to get knocked out by the wife or a foul ball kinda guy.
    • MARIETTA — Ashton Lansdell says she is just one of the guys on the Wheeler baseball team.

The support from teammates in the dugout never wavered Friday night as Lansdell took the mound against Pebblebrook in what was believed to be the first girl to start a varsity baseball game in Cobb County history.

Landsell got the win as the Wildcats used an eight-run fifth inning to rout the Falcons 13-3 in six innings in a Region 2AAAAAAA victory.

“It was great,” Lansdell said. “It was what I expected. I was out here having fun. I wasn’t really that nervous. Pitching is what I do. I was ready. It was a lot of fun coming off my first time starting. I had a good time.”

The game was close, however, during the 3 1/3 innings Lansdell was on the mound.

It was not because she was struggling with her location. The two runs Lansdell allowed were unearned as a result of three errors committed by Wheeler (9-5, 3-1 Region 2AAAAAAA) in the third inning. Those miscues allowed Pebblebrook (1-9, 0-4) to tie the game at 2-all after the Wildcats scored two runs in the first on a two-run single by Mike Musser.

“We had a little bit of a crowd out here and the guys behind her played nervous, and she played well,” Wheeler coach Mark Collins said. “She did what she was supposed to do. She’s very tough and very determined and very mature. She does the things we ask her to do. She’s a tough kid.”

Depending mostly on her curveball and fastball, Lansdell threw 56 pitches, yielded five hits and two walks and threw one strikeout, retiring Decontay Mapp on three pitches to end the second inning.

Lansdell said she was not nervous about her first varsity start. She only needed eight pitches to get through four Pebblebrook batters in the first inning.
      The Falcons’ Kyle Brown got a single off Lansdell to begin the second inning, but he was caught stealing. Dallas Williams also singled in the second, but he was stranded at first.

After working a full count against Williams in the fourth and winning the battle, Lansdell was getting close to her pitch count. And when Wheeler committed its fourth error of the game in an attempt to throw out Clayton Rozier, Collins pulled Lansdell from the game — with a 3-2 lead — to a warm reception from her teammates and the crowd ad Dave McDonald Field.

“I’m just one of the guys on the team,” Lansdell said. “It’s just the team. I’m used it. They’re used to it.”

Wheeler reliever Leo Gionnini pitched the remainder of the game, giving up just one run on an infield single by Brown in the fourth.
      Wheeler batted around in the fifth, scoring eight runs on eight hits. Will Mahoney had a two-run single in the inning, Michael Porter produced a three-run single and Noah Welkis tacked on a two-run home run.
      2,000 miler
    • Brings back fond memories me of the girl we had as a kicker on our high school football team. She was Hawaiian, and I thought rather attractive, and definitely the only football player I have ever made out with. ;)
    • max.patch wrote:

cubs at marlins.

first pitch of the game.

home run cubs.

suck it jeter.
      For second year in a row George Springer lead off opening day with a home run! Glad I have XM radio in my car to hear it live while driving my son to the eye doctor in Little Rock. Still taking extra pleasure everytime we beat the Rangers after they were jerks about switching the home and home series during September for the hurricane. :thumbup:
    • max.patch wrote:

the FIRST PLACE braves trail 5-0, then score the last 8 runs of the game, winning with a 3 run walk off homerun by nick markasis. the phillies intentionally walked freddie freeman to get to him. :)
      Just one game, but some irony in that they are considered two teams of the future. Phillies tried to pull the trigger by investing around $150m in Vetrans to compliment their youth. Braves critized for taking a let's let the youth mature a little more first approach. Will be interesting to see how it works out. :)
    • IMScotty wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Pleased to read the Red Sox are doing well. 8-1 record.
      Yes, the Sox appear to have put together a fun likable team this year.
      Yeah, I really want them to finish ahead of the Yankees. People can excited about the Stanton/Judges, etc.. HRs, but I believe the strikeouts will do them in. If the Red Sox starting pitching stays healthy, I believe they will win the East.
    • max.patch wrote:

astros win on walk off pop up.

padres learn that $144 million doesn't get ya what it used to. i woulda missed that ball for a heckuva lot less.

That is a problem I have with official scoring. That should be an error, but because he didn't touch it, it counts as a hit.

Another key point is if Derek Fisher is not flying with sprinter from second all that does is prolong the the inning with runners at first and third. I believe similar to Game 5 in the World Series, but Bregman hit that one a little better.
    • i was lamenting the fact that "attendance" doesn't mean "attendance" anymore.

the nba is even worse including tickets they give away for free even if not used in the "attendance" figure.

in september 1975 737 people attended a braves game -- and that's what the box score reported.
      2,000 miler
    • espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/231238…rk-yankees-boston-red-sox

Looks like the Red Sox / Yankees rivalry is back in full force

Would like to know everyone's opinion on Tyler Austin's slide. During the game I thought it was within the bounds of good baseball, but now that I have watched the replay at a number of different angles I think he was trying to spike the second baseman. Not that I want the umps to turn baseball into a pusillanimous affair, I am glad they let that call go. Still, retaliation was to be expected.

Looks like Alex Cora is a manager who will protect his players. Thank you Astros :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier