Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Listening to MLB radio yesterday when they were interviewing Rico Petrocelli, it sounded just like Coach Lou. :)
      While I realize Rico is a little older and from Brooklyn, to me (and my southern background) the accent and personality were dead on. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

      cobb county has 6 senior centers where our elder citizens can go and interact with their peers. free blood pressure checks. card games. etc. always been free.

      starting next year -- $60 annual fee.

      the reason -- the braves.
      Elected officials will answer complaints with ‘The fee is only five dollars monthly.” However once a fee is imposed, government has rarely eliminated one but often raises them.

      Lest we forget.....



      SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • anybody looking to move to the atlanta area to get closer to the AT -- john smoltz has his humble abode for sale.

      John Smoltz didn't become the only pitcher in Major League Baseball history to record at least 200 wins and 150 saves by backing down.
      But, that's what the MLB Hall of Famer is doing to try to sell his 18,265-square-foot mansion that sits on 19.7 acres in Milton, Ga.

      The home has been on the market for five years and recently saw its price drop from $7.2 million to $5 million.

      The home was built in 2002 and has 10 bedrooms, 10 full baths, four half-baths, a pool/spa, waterslide, separate tennis and basketball courts, separate baseball and football fields, a stocked fishing pond, a jogging trail, an au par suite, a studio apartment and an eight-car garage. There's also an 18-hole golf course that Smoltz describes as "everything a golfer could want: synthetic putting green, 2 synthetic golf greens & 9 tee boxes – to make 18 challenging shots."

      2,000 miler
    • Sports Business Journal interviews Ted Turner.

      SBJ: “… Have you been to SunTrust Park?”
      Turner: “No.”

      SBJ: “Do you have plans to go soon?”
      Turner: “No.”

      SBJ: “What do you think of the team moving from downtown to Cobb County?”
      Turner: “To me, they’ll always be the Atlanta Braves, not the Marietta Braves.”

      SBJ: “Do you watch the team now?”
      Turner: “A little bit, on TV, but not much. But we were really successful with the Braves. We drew well, and we set a record for the most consecutive division championships. They moved to Marietta strictly because they could get money (for the ballpark).”
      2,000 miler
    • chief wrote:

      I always respected ted turner. didn't always agree with him, hated he married that fonda bitch, but he always said what was on his mind. back when he won Americas Cup he was known as the mouth.
      well, I like the compilation of old movies...not real Fonda Jane!

      In one of the old VFW posts I used to drink at, they had a urinal sticker with Jane spread eagle that you couldn’t help but pee on.
    • Jake Ace wrote:

      chief wrote:

      I always respected ted turner. didn't always agree with him, hated he married that fonda bitch, but he always said what was on his mind. back when he won Americas Cup he was known as the mouth.
      well, I like the compilation of old movies...not real Fonda Jane!
      In one of the old VFW posts I used to drink at, they had a urinal sticker with Jane spread eagle that you couldn’t help but pee on.
      some might say, she'd probably like it, but I doubt she's that much fun.
    • Looks like the Yankees will get Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins. That is a lot of money (close to $300m) for a guy who has a hard time staying on the field.
      But when he is healthy he can definitely hit.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • There was no way STL was going to pay that kind of money for Stanton. I was surprised they hung in there as long as they did, but I suspect it was just an act to appease the fans and show that ownership was TRYING to do something to improve the team...

      We better get our shite together in the off-season or it will be another season without a post-season and in STL that is NOT acceptable...
    • max.patch wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      Looks like the Yankees will get Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins. That is a lot of money (close to $300m) for a guy who has a hard time staying on the field.
      But when he is healthy he can definitely hit.
      the rich get richer. i wish baseball had a hard salary cap.
      I am glad they don't. It makes it even sweeter when a team like the Astros takes out the three big spenders, Boston, Yankees, and Dodgers in order to win a World Series with a low to mid level payroll.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      A little more hiking related, spent last night at the Midtown Inn in Baltimore. Brought back memories of The Doyle. Told my son I found the cheapest one I could find on Travelocity so we could have money to buy nicer seats. Needless to say I would not recommend staying there.
      Yikes, Bloomberg says Baltimore is #1 city in USA for bedbugs. Guess we just dodged a bullet with that one. :S

      https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-08/good-morning-baltimore-orkin-says-your-city-is-a-bed-bug-mecca?cmpid=BBD010818_BIZ&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=180108&utm_campaign=bloombergdaily

      Note: post above was from this past July
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      A little more hiking related, spent last night at the Midtown Inn in Baltimore. Brought back memories of The Doyle. Told my son I found the cheapest one I could find on Travelocity so we could have money to buy nicer seats. Needless to say I would not recommend staying there.
      Yikes, Bloomberg says Baltimore is #1 city in USA for bedbugs. Guess we just dodged a bullet with that one. :S
      https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-08/good-morning-baltimore-orkin-says-your-city-is-a-bed-bug-mecca?cmpid=BBD010818_BIZ&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=180108&utm_campaign=bloombergdaily

      Note: post above was from this past July
      when they crawl out of the mire they grow up to become full fledged swap creatures.
    • My 2018 HOF Ballet (well if I had one)

      Chipper Jones
      Jeff Kent
      Billy Wagner
      Curt Schilling
      Jim Thome
      Vladimir Guerrero
      Edgar Martinez
      Fred McGriff
      Mike Mussina
      Larry Walker


      Would have liked to have potentially voted for the following, but the limit is ten.
      Scott Rolen
      Jamie Moyer
      Omar Vizquel
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      My 2018 HOF Ballet (well if I had one)

      Chipper Jones
      Jeff Kent
      Billy Wagner
      Curt Schilling
      Jim Thome
      Vladimir Guerrero
      Edgar Martinez
      Fred McGriff
      Mike Mussina
      Larry Walker


      Would have liked to have potentially voted for the following, but the limit is ten.
      Scott Rolen
      Jamie Moyer
      Omar Vizquel
      No to Chipper, Kent, Wagner, McGriff, Walker and Mussina. For sure no freaking way Rolen or Vizquel. But, I am a curmudgeon...
    • guy on sat radio yesterday said (just reporting - don't shoot the messenger) that omar vizquel and ozzie smith had the exact same careers and that vizquel was better defensively. he said that if ozzie gets in the HOF and vizquel doesn't (and he stated that ozzie is rightfully included in the HOF) then it's becasue ozzie did backflips and vizquel didn't.

      don't have an opinion one way or the other -- but it sure was entertaining.
      2,000 miler
    • Alan Trammel the best all around pure short stop of my life time, finally got in via the Vetrans Committee, so Ozzie can stay. ;)
      I can not see why any GM wanting to win would pick Ozzie Smith or Barry Larkin over him, but the BBWA sure did. Not that they don't deserve to be in the HOF, but it was ridiculous that he wasn't.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      Alan Trammel the best all around pure short stop of my life time, finally got in via the Vetrans Committee, so Ozzie can stay. ;)
      I can not see why any GM wanting to win would pick Ozzie Smith or Barry Larkin over him, but the BBWA sure did. Not that they don't deserve to be in the HOF, but it was ridiculous that he wasn't.
      Ozzie Smith was the greatest defensive shortstop in the history of baseball. His dWAR is impeccable. Please take a close look at their respective stats. Trammell is so far behind Smith in almost every category as to give you the answer why he couldn't get in on a real ballot. So. Far. Behind. Not HOF material. 13 Gold Gloves v. 4 Gold Gloves. #1 dWar v. 35th dWar. That means there are 34 players ahead of Trammell but behind Smith in their value as a SS. Oh, and Smith never struck out. Almost never. 16 seasons in the top 10 for AB v SO. Trammell? For only 10 pts higher BA, he struck out 50 percent more often. Sorry. He's the paper on them:

      baseball-reference.com/players/s/smithoz01.shtml

      baseball-reference.com/players/t/trammal01.shtml

      Everyone has their favorites. Certain players on certain teams seemed so much better than they really were. See....Dave Concepcion and Davey Lopes...
    • bob horner!!!

      just checked his stats -- if you told me he only hit 218 homer runs (not counting 31 in japan) i woulda said that number was too low. injuries...only averaged 102 game per year over his 10 year career. picture perfect swing.

      1978 rookie of the year despite only playing 89 games -- runner up? -- ozzie smith who played in 159.

      oh well -- at least he's in the college hall of fame. (obviously doesn't belong in the baseball hall of fame).

      trivia -- wore jersey number 50 in japan becasue that's how many HR's they expected him to hit.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

      bob horner!!!

      just checked his stats -- if you told me he only hit 218 homer runs (not counting 31 in japan) i woulda said that number was too low. injuries...only averaged 102 game per year over his 10 year career. picture perfect swing.

      1978 rookie of the year despite only playing 89 games -- runner up? -- ozzie smith who played in 159.

      oh well -- at least he's in the college hall of fame. (obviously doesn't belong in the baseball hall of fame).

      trivia -- wore jersey number 50 in japan becasue that's how many HR's they expected him to hit.
      I want some of whatever they were smoking in Japan when they gave him that jersey! Talk about unrealistic expectations!

      Oh...wait....they probably only expected him to hit 50 home runs for the rest of his career....still an unrealistic expectation!
    • Chipper Jones and Jacob Nighthorse from Longmire remind me a lot of each other. Both work hard at having an image of a good guy, but too many contradicting stories to believe it. Of course one is real and the other is a TV character, but interesting similarity.


      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      Chipper Jones and Jacob Nighthorse from Longmire remind me a lot of each other. Both work hard at having an image of a good guy, but too many contradicting stories to believe it. Of course one is real and the other is a TV character, but interesting similarity.



      that picture on the left is from last nights game...

      larry is an ass. bout as far away as one can get from being a "good guy."
      2,000 miler

      The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

    • Don’t think the new MLB rule restricting the number of visits per game (6) to the pitcher’s mound will have a noticeable impact on game length. Anyone heard what the penalties are if this number is exceeded?

      Lest we forget.....



      SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

      Don’t think the new MLB rule restricting the number of visits per game (6) to the pitcher’s mound will have a noticeable impact on game length. Anyone heard what the penalties are if this number is exceeded?
      i guess no more trips to the mound by the first or third baseman telling the pitcher to check out the boobs on the blonde in the 3rd row.

      unless, of course, they're spectacular.
      2,000 miler
    • Foresight wrote:

      I remember hanging out near Chief Nocahoma's tent during batting practice once and Bob Horner hit a ball so hard that we all scattered, lol. The damn thing hit the back of seat and bounced back onto the field. It was scary how hard he could hit a baseball.

      On an unrelated note: Astro, I thought about you this weekend. I was watching a couple of documentaries on Netflix and made a note to relay them to you. The first is "Fastball" and the second is "Battered Bastards of Baseball", check them out if you haven't already, both are excellent.
      just watched the battered bastards of baseball -- didn't know the story -- and all i gotta say is...

      bing russell -- you da man!!!
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

      Foresight wrote:

      I remember hanging out near Chief Nocahoma's tent during batting practice once and Bob Horner hit a ball so hard that we all scattered, lol. The damn thing hit the back of seat and bounced back onto the field. It was scary how hard he could hit a baseball.

      On an unrelated note: Astro, I thought about you this weekend. I was watching a couple of documentaries on Netflix and made a note to relay them to you. The first is "Fastball" and the second is "Battered Bastards of Baseball", check them out if you haven't already, both are excellent.
      just watched the battered bastards of baseball -- didn't know the story -- and all i gotta say is...
      bing russell -- you da man!!!
      I always liked Kurt Russell, and you can see he gets some of it from his dad.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General