Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

Screwy inning in the Cubs-Nats game. Top of 5th. Cubs have been down all game but have mounted a 2 out rally to take a one run lead with runners on 1st and 2nd. Two strikes. Batter swings and misses on a ball in the dirt. Ball goes through the catcher's legs and rolls to the screen. Runners advance and batter runs to 1st on dropped third strike. He beats the throw which is off line and goes into right field and runner scores from third. After the play there is a discussion among the umpires to decide if the fact that the batter's bat hit the catchers mask on his follow through is relevant (dead ball on catcher interference?). Ruling is not changed and the run counts. Later in the inning a bat hist the catcher's mitt in the middle of a swing but nothing is called. Then a batter is hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to score an insurance run.
      I missed this game. However your description was better than provided by the local newspaper.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • max.patch wrote:

and once we fix the salary cap problem, then we'll start with 4:37 minute 9 inning games that end just before 1:00 am.

and as bad as that was for us tv watchers -- what time did the fans get home?
      While I am opposed to wasting time due to "commercial" breaks, and pitching visits and changes along with batters stepping out can get excessive, I am all for watching more actual baseball.

I once went to a Saturday night Astro-Dodger game that went 22 innings. When the innings were somewhere in the teens my date said she was getting tired, so being a gentleman I offered to call her a cab (on second thought I could probably be better defined as a baseball fan).
      I was back in the Astrodome for the Sunday 1pm game that went 13 Innings. So I watched the equivalent of 4 games in less than 24 hours. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

and once we fix the salary cap problem, then we'll start with 4:37 minute 9 inning games that end just before 1:00 am.

While I am opposed to wasting time due to "commercial" breaks, and pitching visits and changes along with batters stepping out can get excessive, I am all for watching more actual baseball.
      I once went to a Saturday night Astro-Dodger game that went 22 innings. When the innings were somewhere in the teens my date said she was getting tired, so being a gentleman I offered to call her a cab (on second thought I could probably be better defined as a baseball fan).
      I was back in the Astrodome for the Sunday 1pm game that went 13 Innings. So I watched the equivalent of 4 games in less than 24 hours. :)
      lol -- were there any more dates with that young lady?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

While I am opposed to wasting time due to "commercial" breaks, and pitching visits and changes along with batters stepping out can get excessive, I am all for watching more actual baseball.I once went to a Saturday night Astro-Dodger game that went 22 innings. When the innings were somewhere in the teens my date said she was getting tired, so being a gentleman I offered to call her a cab (on second thought I could probably be better defined as a baseball fan).
      lol -- were there any more dates with that young lady?
      Yes, but I do not believe anymore baseball games. Back then I had Rockets season tickets too (not as much of a risk going beyond time expected).
    • couldn't sleep so turned on the tv and was surprised to see ex brave (and others) ron gant as one of the anchors on the early morning news. he made $45 million during his career -- i guess he has his reasons for (a) working, and (b) choosing a job that starts at 6:00 am. certainly wouldn't be my choice!

to make this baseball related -- he holds one of those "weird" records -- fewest rbi's by a player with 25 or more homeruns. in 2000 he hit 26 home runs and had a total of 54 rbi's. his record has since been tied by one other.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Hopefully just a case of everybody holding serve on the home field.
      well...the dodgers have home field advantage in the world series no matter who they play... :(
      having the all star game decide home field advantage was stupid -- but too bad they fixed it this year.
      I agree if the Astros win.
      If they loose I will be glad if the Dodgers have home field. :)
    • odd man out wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Alas the Cubs lost tonight.
      there's always next year. The Cubs offense just never showed up. The top of the order just didn't produce. But remember the are a dozen teams that would love to play in game 5 of the NLCS.
      i stepped out to get some food during the game. returned home just in time to see hernandez hit his grand slam. said to myself, hot damn, i won't have to hear about the cubs this off season. PRICELESS!
    • max.patch wrote:

couldn't sleep so turned on the tv and was surprised to see ex brave (and others) ron gant as one of the anchors on the early morning news. he made $45 million during his career -- i guess he has his reasons for (a) working, and (b) choosing a job that starts at 6:00 am. certainly wouldn't be my choice!

to make this baseball related -- he holds one of those "weird" records -- fewest rbi's by a player with 25 or more homeruns. in 2000 he hit 26 home runs and had a total of 54 rbi's. his record has since been tied by one other.
      Gant played in STL too. He sucked. Seriously. His career WAR suggests that out of 12 full time MLB years, he was only better than a substitute player 5 of those years. And the years his WAR was ok he only had 2 years qualifying as AS. And look at all that money. Two of the three years in STL he couldn't get his WAR above substitute. Egads.

Morning news anchor...probably being way overpaid for that as well...
    • i don't think you "suck" if you spend 16 years in the majors. member of the 30-30 club a couple of times.

now if ya sign the largest single year contract in baseball history -- and 2 days later break your leg and need a steel rod inserted after wrecking your dirt bike -- which was a prohibited activity in that contract -- need i can think of some other adjectives that apply.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i don't think you "suck" if you spend 16 years in the majors. member of the 30-30 club a couple of times.

now if ya sign the largest single year contract in baseball history -- and 2 days later break your leg and need a steel rod inserted after wrecking your dirt bike -- which was a prohibited activity in that contract -- need i can think of some other adjectives that apply.
      Oh yeah. You can spend 16 years in the bigs and suck. Especially on a dollar-value basis. Gant historically is one of the 10 worst dollar-value players in MLB history. And you can't blame injuries. Even when he hit 30hr and 82RBI for STL he could only get his WAR barely over 3. The next year he had even more games(139) and PA's( a whopping 562) and his freaking WAR was .8. That's right. 4.5 million dollars, 139 games, 562 plate appearances and he couldn't get his WAR over 1. That's horrifically bad baseball for the dollar. Hell, that's just crappy baseball from anybody. A WAR below 2 means that your are barely above AAA. Below 1 and you are just an up-and-downer until they run out of options for you in the minors. Gant was terrible for the dollar. He played in an era when everyone was hitting 30+HR's and 100+RBI's and everyone had +5 WAR's. Except for Gant. And he made more than most everyone. I don't know what he did to stay as long as he did. He had some base running speed for a while, but was also a mediocre, if not downright bad, fielder. His Rtot for his 16 qualifying MLB seasons is...get this...13. LMAO. 16 years MLB and your defensive Rtot TOTAL for ALL 16 years is only 13....that means you have a negative average Rtot and Gant was, over the life of his career, a liability in the field. Gant sucked. Sorry to break the news to ya.
    • yesterday rutgers announced that their football game against maryland scheduled to be played in yankee stadium in 2 weeks would be moved to campus as the yankees may be in the world series.

if they waited ONE DAY they'd know if yankee stadium was gonna have a conflict....
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

One big gap in this series was McCann tagging multiple runners out at home, while his counterpart Sanchez looked like he could never catch a throw to make a tag.
      one of the sports talk shows on sirius/xm made the point a few games ago that ya can't complain about sanchez -- ya knew going into the series that he is not a good defensive catcher so ya can't complain now that he's not a good catcher.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

One big gap in this series was McCann tagging multiple runners out at home, while his counterpart Sanchez looked like he could never catch a throw to make a tag.
      one of the sports talk shows on sirius/xm made the point a few games ago that ya can't complain about sanchez -- ya knew going into the series that he is not a good defensive catcher so ya can't complain now that he's not a good catcher.
      Except the Yankees paid part of McCann's salary for the Astros to take him and open up the catcher spot for Sanchez.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Except the Yankees paid part of McCann's salary for the Astros to take him and open up the catcher spot for Sanchez.
      didn't know that!
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Congrats, Astro!

The Yanks just didn't have the mojo this year. Good luck against the Dodgers!
      Thanks. Yankees remind me a lot of the Astros in 2015, great young core and need to cut down on strikeouts.
      I heard on one of the post-game talk shows there was speculation that the Yankees will be contenders for some time. It seems you need to get close and lose once before winning.
    • max.patch wrote:

lol, the atlanta journal constitution take on the ALCS:

Three ex-Braves lead Astros into World Series
      I love Gattis, McCann, and Morton.
      Just wish we could have pulled off the deal for Kimbrel before he went to the Padres (I think the Astros were resistant to eating the Upton contract).
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Congrats, Astro!

The Yanks just didn't have the mojo this year. Good luck against the Dodgers!
      Thanks. Yankees remind me a lot of the Astros in 2015, great young core and need to cut down on strikeouts.
      I heard on one of the post-game talk shows there was speculation that the Yankees will be contenders for some time. It seems you need to get close and lose once before winning.
      The first time you are happy just to be there. After that you usually come back more determined.
    • On the other side Dodgers first baseman Adrian Gonzalez is too busy vacationing with his family in Italy. ?(

I know family time is supposed to be good, but that makes him a pretty lousy teammate in my book. :thumbdown:
    • Astro wrote:

On the other side Dodgers first baseman Adrian Gonzalez is too busy vacationing with his family in Italy. ?(

I know family time is supposed to be good, but that makes him a pretty lousy teammate in my book. :thumbdown:
      i had to google that...makes no sense!

if one of the "leaders in the clubhouse" doesn't wanna be there -- why should a dodgers fan pony up triple digits for a ticket?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

On the other side Dodgers first baseman Adrian Gonzalez is too busy vacationing with his family in Italy. ?(

i had to google that...makes no sense!
      if one of the "leaders in the clubhouse" doesn't wanna be there -- why should a dodgers fan pony up triple digits for a ticket?
      Some of the tickets for Game 1 we're reselling for four digits. Even if you are hurt, I can not see why you would not want to be in the dugout soaking it in.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

i had to google that...makes no sense!if one of the "leaders in the clubhouse" doesn't wanna be there -- why should a dodgers fan pony up triple digits for a ticket?
      Some of the tickets for Game 1 we're reselling for four digits. Even if you are hurt, I can not see why you would not want to be in the dugout soaking it in.
      a fantastic 2 1/2 hour game -- and some of the fans are complaining that game went by "too fast" so they didn't get their moneys worth, lol.
      2,000 miler