Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bob Gibson, now that is going back to a different day and time. While I am no Cardinals fan, I am definitely a fan of Bob Gibson. In my opinion probably on their Mount Rushmore with Stan Musial, Roger Hornsby, and Dizzy Dean.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Don't forget Ozzie Smith, Lou Brock, and possibly the greatest catcher ever, next to Yogi Berra, Yadier Molina.

BTW, it seems that Yadi's career may have ended. He took a foul to the mask two nights ago that left him defenseless. The next pitch was another foul and his glove never moved, the foul striking him so hard in the mask/helmet that it almost knocked it off. And because he was still dazed and defenseless the impact almost ripped his head off. Actually, if you look closely, he dropped his glove prior to getting hit, because he likely never even saw it. Like getting hit flush by Ali with a follow up with no gloves up.

These fouls ended his manager Mike Matheny's career as a catcher...

• max.patch wrote:

i might have to replace dean with pujols since he played longer.
      Pujols probably deserves it based on the stats, but he left (on his own free will). Molina and Brock also probably deserving. Back flips are entertaining, but I would prefer I a little production on the field.

Really do love Gibson and his old school approach to the game.
    • ScareBear wrote:

Don't forget Ozzie Smith, Lou Brock, and possibly the greatest catcher ever, next to Yogi Berra, Yadier Molina.

BTW, it seems that Yadi's career may have ended. He took a foul to the mask two nights ago that left him defenseless. The next pitch was another foul and his glove never moved, the foul striking him so hard in the mask/helmet that it almost knocked it off. And because he was still dazed and defenseless the impact almost ripped his head off. Actually, if you look closely, he dropped his glove prior to getting hit, because he likely never even saw it. Like getting hit flush by Ali with a follow up with no gloves up.

These fouls ended his manager Mike Matheny's career as a catcher...

I like Matheney, but you gotta ask why didn't he get him out of there after the first one.
    • max.patch wrote:

phuck the texas rangers.

as someone tweeted, they should take the word "texas" off their uniforms.
      "Arlington" Rangers got what they deserved. After refusing to swap home and home series due to the hurricane, the Astros just beat the crud out of them all three games by a combined score of 37 to 7, scoring at least 11 runs in every game! :thumbup:

As they say revenge is a dish best served cold.
    • max.patch wrote:

and the name of macon, ga's new minor league baseball team is, the

macon bacon

[IMG:http://www.macon.com/sports/tgntrk/picture175618046/alternates/FREE_768/macon%20bacon%20logo]
      Another Brave affiliate?
      They appear to be moving them all close to Atlanta. Perhaps they can invest some of their logistics cost savings into to signing and keeping major league talent.
    • other than mention that it's the coastal plain league, the article was silent on affiliations. a little research reveals this is actually a summer collegiate league that gives college players a minor league experience. 56 game schedule; buncha teams. website has stats on how many alumni have been drafted (quite a few) and how many made it to the majors.

obviously no salary; but they'll hook ya up with local employers. no word as to if the fbi is gonna check that those hours are actually worked...
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

other than mention that it's the coastal plain league, the article was silent on affiliations. a little research reveals this is actually a summer collegiate league that gives college players a minor league experience. 56 game schedule; buncha teams. website has stats on how many alumni have been drafted (quite a few) and how many made it to the majors.

obviously no salary; but they'll hook ya up with local employers. no word as to if the fbi is gonna check that those hours are actually worked...
      This is baseball. Not the level of fake jobs (like sprinkling the field in One-on-One with Bobby Benson (they were automatic)) like you might see in Football or Basketball.

I have known several college students who played in "wooden bat" leagues during the summer. They even made a movie about it with Freddie Prinze Jr called Summer Catch in the Cape Cod League. Most of the players I know played more in the midwest. Opportunity for hitters to show what they can do with wooden bats, and usually pitchers that are lower on the depth chart to get more work in.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

other than mention that it's the coastal plain league, the article was silent on affiliations. a little research reveals this is actually a summer collegiate league that gives college players a minor league experience. 56 game schedule; buncha teams. website has stats on how many alumni have been drafted (quite a few) and how many made it to the majors.

This is baseball. Not the level of fake jobs (like sprinkling the field in One-on-One with Bobby Benson (they were automatic)) like you might see in Football or Basketball.
      I have known several college students who played in "wooden bat" leagues during the summer. They even made a movie about it with Freddie Prinze Jr called Summer Catch in the Cape Cod League. Most of the players I know played more in the midwest. Opportunity for hitters to show what they can do with wooden bats, and usually pitchers that are lower on the depth chart to get more work in.
      i love One-on-One! don't forget annette o'toole! and melanie griffith in the unforgettable role as the hitchhiker!!
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

This is baseball. Not the level of fake jobs (like sprinkling the field in One-on-One with Bobby Benson (they were automatic)) like you might see in Football or Basketball.I have known several college students who played in "wooden bat" leagues during the summer. They even made a movie about it with Freddie Prinze Jr called Summer Catch in the Cape Cod League. Most of the players I know played more in the midwest. Opportunity for hitters to show what they can do with wooden bats, and usually pitchers that are lower on the depth chart to get more work in.
      i love One-on-One! don't forget annette o'toole! and melanie griffith in the unforgettable role as the hitchhiker!!
      While I love baseball more than basketball, One-on-One is a a 10 movie, while Summer Catch may be more like a 3.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

This is baseball. Not the level of fake jobs (like sprinkling the field in One-on-One with Bobby Benson (they were automatic)) like you might see in Football or Basketball.I have known several college students who played in "wooden bat" leagues during the summer. They even made a movie about it with Freddie Prinze Jr called Summer Catch in the Cape Cod League. Most of the players I know played more in the midwest. Opportunity for hitters to show what they can do with wooden bats, and usually pitchers that are lower on the depth chart to get more work in.
      While I love baseball more than basketball, One-on-One is a a 10 movie, while Summer Catch may be more like a 3.
      summer catch has to be at least a 5. jessica biel! real MLB players! jessica biel! real MLB announcers! jessica biel!
      2,000 miler
    • i'm a cpa so i like numbers and stats more than most, but i just turned on the astro-red sox game and the xfinity show description mentions that altuve is tied for the league lead with 22 runs scored on SATURDAYs and moreland has 9 SATURDAY doubles which is one behind the leagues leader. puhleeze.
      2,000 miler
    • Well, the Red Sox will play the Astros in the playoffs! Not too excited about the Red Sox chances this year, but in a short series you never know what will happen. Looking forward to Game 1 on Thursday night.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Well, the Red Sox will play the Astros in the playoffs! Not too excited about the Red Sox chances this year, but in a short series you never know what will happen. Looking forward to Game 1 on Thursday night.
      that'll be a good series. the red sox have a chance if they keep the fried chicken and beer locked up until the game is over. and how did the astros end up with all of atlanta's catchers?
      2,000 miler
    • IMScotty wrote:

Well, the Red Sox will play the Astros in the playoffs! Not too excited about the Red Sox chances this year, but in a short series you never know what will happen. Looking forward to Game 1 on Thursday night.
      If it goes the full 5 games, that will make 9 games in a row between the same two teams.
    • Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

If it goes the full 5 games, that will make 9 games in a row between the same two teams.
      Since Red Sox clinched division today and neither team has a benefit to winning tomorrow's game, expect to see a lot from pitchers that will not be on the playoff roster.
    • max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

that'll be a good series. the red sox have a chance if they keep the fried chicken and beer locked up until the game is over. and how did the astros end up with all of atlanta's catchers?
      They can both hit and McCann can still frame pitches. Unfortunately at this point neither is very good at throwing out base stealers.

Both appear to be good in clubhouse, and Gattis is always a fan favorite. With less pitchers needed due to the off days, they will likely carry Centeno as third catcher to replace Gattis defensively late in games.
    • max.patch wrote:

well, usa today say that it "overwhelmingly" will be the indians over the nats in the world series.
      Indians should have won it last year (at least I wish they had, spoiled a great management story).

I am going with my heart and Sports Illustrated that this will be the Astros year. 101 wins despite all their injuries and the addition of Verlander in just the last month means that it is definitely possible.
    • ScareBear wrote:

Classic Dodgers v. Yankees coming up!
      Yankees will be lucky to get past Cleveland, although as an Astros fan I would prefer that.

More likely to be Dodgers and Astros.
      My favorite team growing up against my children's favorite team. I still remember how weird it was to cheer against the Dodgers for the first time at an Astros game. A big reason I had moved to Houston 30 years ago was that it was a National League town with an NBA team. Little did I know that after a dozen or so years the home team would eventually win me over. :)
    • Houston was under achieving so the NL traded them to the AL for Milawukee.

That game was painful to watch from a Boston perspective. Other than Jackie Bradley, Jr. I would hate to think I had to watch that kind of baseball day in and day out, it was awful. Dustin Pedroia runs into a tag at third base for the third out with a turtle on base ahead of him and almost cost the Red Sox their first run. Then runners on first and second with no outs and Pedroia swings at a 2-0 pitch that"s shoulder high and off the plate, popping up to the catcher.....weak, weak, weak.

Anyway, that little munchkin was stroking the ball today :thumbup:
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.