Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Dback's Martinez hit four home runs against the Dodgers Monday night. He tied the MLB record.
      no one has done it twice.
      only 1 person has done it with only 4 plate appearances.

i remember when bob horner did it for the braves who -- no surprise -- proceeded to lose the game. only time that has happened (unless you count some guy in the 1800's).
      Now you are bringing back the memories of "America's Team" with Horner, Dale Murphy, Glen Hubbard, Joe Torre, etc.. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I remember hanging out near Chief Nocahoma's tent during batting practice once and Bob Horner hit a ball so hard that we all scattered, lol. The damn thing hit the back of seat and bounced back onto the field. It was scary how hard he could hit a baseball.

On an unrelated note: Astro, I thought about you this weekend. I was watching a couple of documentaries on Netflix and made a note to relay them to you. The first is "Fastball" and the second is "Battered Bastards of Baseball", check them out if you haven't already, both are excellent.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Foresight wrote:

I remember hanging out near Chief Nocahoma's tent during batting practice once and Bob Horner hit a ball so hard that we all scattered, lol. The damn thing hit the back of seat and bounced back onto the field. It was scary how hard he could hit a baseball.

On an unrelated note: Astro, I thought about you this weekend. I was watching a couple of documentaries on Netflix and made a note to relay them to you. The first is "Fastball" and the second is "Battered Bastards of Baseball", check them out if you haven't already, both are excellent.
      Thanks, I already watched enjoyed both of them. Most people don't realize in addition to being actors both Kurt Russell and his dad were professional baseball players. Similar to Fastball there is another one called Knuckleball.

Horner and Murphy both looked like sure fire Hall of Famers early in their careers. I still believe Murphy is worthy, he just should have hung around a few more years to pile up more stats. Of course he probably had too much class for doing that for just that reason.
    • When coaching my team in the Dixie World Series they always celebrated a Home Run by presenting it to the player after the game. One of my players hit one out, but instead of his last name they mistakenly wrote Horner on it. I told him to be proud of it. They must have thought he hit it like Bob Horner. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Horner and Murphy both looked like sure fire Hall of Famers early in their careers. I still believe Murphy is worthy, he just should have hung around a few more years to pile up more stats. Of course he probably had too much class for doing that for just that reason.
      for years, when murphy was active, the atlanta newspapers always referred to murphy as a "lock" for the HOF.
      2,000 miler
    • lotta people riding out irma in the atlanta area -- braves gave 18,500 free tickets to people in certain fl, sc, and ga zip codes that were here for that reason. series was against the marlins -- they wouldn't sold the tickets anyway. :)

my costco sold out of bottled water -- people headed home stocking up as well as the locals who rush to the grocery store when 1/4 inch of snow is in the forecast.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Astros clinched division today with Justin Verlander (Mr. Upton) pitching his 3rd straight win for them since the trade. He has given up 2, 1, and 3 hits in those three starts.

Best quote from the clubhouse celebration may have been Josh Reddick (good ole GA boy) when his cutoff sleeves were described as white trash, "I am not white trash, I am a sophisticated redneck".
    • Astro wrote:

Astros clinched division today with Justin Verlander (Mr. Upton) pitching his 3rd straight win for them since the trade. He has given up 2, 1, and 3 hits in those three starts.
      Best quote from the clubhouse celebration may have been Josh Reddick (good ole GA boy) when his cutoff sleeves were described as white trash, "I am not white trash, I am a sophisticated redneck".
      the better mr upton pitches, the better ms. upton treats him. works like a charm...
      2,000 miler
    • former brave (among others) raul modesi sentenced to 8 years in prison and fined $1.25 million for political corruption as mayor in the dominican republic.

he made $67 million in his career -- if i made that kinda money during a 13 year career i'd be sittin on a beach somewhere...
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

former brave (among others) raul modesi sentenced to 8 years in prison and fined $1.25 million for political corruption as mayor in the dominican republic.

he made $67 million in his career -- if i made that kinda money during a 13 year career i'd be sittin on a beach somewhere...
      Jr (his son) could pay his fine if needed.

But that is a real shame on a lot of counts. HOF talent with a dime store brain. :rolleyes:
    • While I understand the rationale behind adding more netting...insurance company requirements, I'm dismayed at the action. However most baseball attendees spend far more time on their devices or yakking with friends than watching the game. More than once I've moved from a desireable seat to another location due to the constant stream of chatter from the surrounding folks.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

While I understand the rationale behind adding more netting...insurance company requirements, I'm dismayed at the action. However most baseball attendees spend far more time on their devices or yakking with friends than watching the game. More than once I've moved from a desireable seat to another location due to the constant stream of chatter from the surrounding folks.
      They are doing it to protect the fans from themselves (due to inability to pay attention to the game).
    • Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

While I understand the rationale behind adding more netting...insurance company requirements, I'm dismayed at the action. However most baseball attendees spend far more time on their devices or yakking with friends than watching the game. More than once I've moved from a desireable seat to another location due to the constant stream of chatter from the surrounding folks.
      They are doing it to protect the fans from themselves (due to inability to pay attention to the game).
      yeah, that little girl should have paid more attention! wtf?
    • uncle meat wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Don't know the circumstances, but her parents should have been on the lookout for such hits.
      this^
      Absolutely, I was not referring to the child in this specific situation, but fans in general and why they are putting the nets up. Obviously if an adult puts a child in a situation they are the one responsible.

Only someone looking to pick a fight (or lacking basic logic skills) should have seen it differently.
    • People have been getting hit by balls and bats since the game started. With today's technological distractions, bad things are going to happen...

I recently sat just past first base at Yankee Stadium, 20 rows off the field. Unlike almost everyone around me, I never took my eyes off a batter to look at my cellphone. You only have a split second to react at that distance and the damage from a foul ball line drive could be fatal.

I've actually caught a few MLB fouls balls with my bare hands over the last....many years. Ricky Henderson's hurt the most. Ken Griffey, Jr's the least. I caught a Johnny Bench foul that one-hopped over a seat in front of me, but I don't count that...

My son asked me if I ever caught a homer. I told him I've never had to sit in the cheap seats...
    • Another key there is that the umpire was watching. I hate it when an umpire misses a balk and then a runner gets "picked off" because they saw that the pitcher had already committed. Youth sports with only 2 umpires it happens more than it should. Same with high school.
    • max.patch wrote:

something tells me astro is the only one here who knows and understands the balk rule.
      My son does better than I do.

Not an issue this past Sunday when he stole 3 basses and scored 7 times.

Unfortunately his pants got cleated one time. I thought mom should sew them, but she thought I should buy him a new pair.
    • uncle meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i love stuff like this.

That's awesome!
      So, that is all on the 3rd base coach, not the runner. All on the 3rd base coach. It is HIS job to watch for the friggin bush league hidden ball trick with a man at second or third, FFS...

Oh, and BTW it seems MLB has changed a lot over the last 20 years or so. How do I know? Goins didn't get plunked between the shoulder blades his next AB. 20 years ago every pitcher would have plunked him his next AB. Bush league crap gets punished.
    • ScareBear wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i love stuff like this.

That's awesome!
      So, that is all on the 3rd base coach, not the runner. All on the 3rd base coach. It is HIS job to watch for the friggin bush league hidden ball trick with a man at second or third, FFS...
      Oh, and BTW it seems MLB has changed a lot over the last 20 years or so. How do I know? Goins didn't get plunked between the shoulder blades his next AB. 20 years ago every pitcher would have plunked him his next AB. Bush league crap gets punished.
      I love it when baseballs like hockey
    • ScareBear wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i love stuff like this.

That's awesome!
      why get tossed for a dumb-ass base runner.
    • chief wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i love stuff like this.

That's awesome!
      So, that is all on the 3rd base coach, not the runner. All on the 3rd base coach. It is HIS job to watch for the friggin bush league hidden ball trick with a man at second or third, FFS...Oh, and BTW it seems MLB has changed a lot over the last 20 years or so. How do I know? Goins didn't get plunked between the shoulder blades his next AB. 20 years ago every pitcher would have plunked him his next AB. Bush league crap gets punished.
      First off, nobody would dare toss Bob Gibson when he plunked you in your back for looking at him funny. Even 20 years ago, it was assumed if you did something bush you would pay. A smart pitcher deals it this way. P1 is low and away. P2 is low and inside. P3 is right down the middle, just 12 inches inside. The pitcher just shrugs...

You do it to send a message. Like when you go all bush staring at your homer and carry your bat while walking 1/2 way to first and then do a casual bat flip into the air towards your dugout and only then start your victory lap trot. Dude, it don't matter if it's the Toros de Tijuana or Texas Rangers, you are getting plunked your next AB. Everyone knows it. You were going to get walked if it's the same pitcher anyway, so why not have fun? And, next time? You won't be all bush about your dinger....

Goins gets drilled by a 90mph in the back and I guarantee one thing. Goins never ever does the HBT again. Never. Not even on his farewell assignment in Single-A. Never.
    • ScareBear wrote:

chief wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i love stuff like this.

That's awesome!
      So, that is all on the 3rd base coach, not the runner. All on the 3rd base coach. It is HIS job to watch for the friggin bush league hidden ball trick with a man at second or third, FFS...Oh, and BTW it seems MLB has changed a lot over the last 20 years or so. How do I know? Goins didn't get plunked between the shoulder blades his next AB. 20 years ago every pitcher would have plunked him his next AB. Bush league crap gets punished.
      First off, nobody would dare toss Bob Gibson when he plunked you in your back for looking at him funny. Even 20 years ago, it was assumed if you did something bush you would pay. A smart pitcher deals it this way. P1 is low and away. P2 is low and inside. P3 is right down the middle, just 12 inches inside. The pitcher just shrugs...
      You do it to send a message. Like when you go all bush staring at your homer and carry your bat while walking 1/2 way to first and then do a casual bat flip into the air towards your dugout and only then start your victory lap trot. Dude, it don't matter if it's the Toros de Tijuana or Texas Rangers, you are getting plunked your next AB. Everyone knows it. You were going to get walked if it's the same pitcher anyway, so why not have fun? And, next time? You won't be all bush about your dinger....

Goins gets drilled by a 90mph in the back and I guarantee one thing. Goins never ever does the HBT again. Never. Not even on his farewell assignment in Single-A. Never.
      hopefully the dumb-ass base runner has learned a lesson. a lesson he'll never learn from a cry baby pitcher.