Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Baseball Thread

Who would be on your Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot?

Here is mine.
      Craig Biggio
      Greg Maddux
      Jeff Bagwell
      Allen Trammell
      Mike Piazza
      Jack Morris
      Tom Glavine
      Curt Schilling
      Tim Raines
      Edgar Martinez
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Baseball Thread

CoachLou wrote:

Monroe
      Fabaree
      Welch
      Bacall
      Bisset
      Berry
      Johansen
      Taylor
      Fox............either, white or black
      Lawrence
      Moore

Coach this looks more like actresses or pretty women than it does Baseball players. I edited my original post to make it more clear.
    • Baseball Thread

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Monroe
      Fabaree
      Welch
      Bacall
      Bisset
      Berry
      Johansen
      Taylor
      Lawrence
      Moore

Coach this looks more like actresses or pretty women than it does Baseball players. I edited my original post to make it more clear.
      Oh, baseball players!!!! :lol: I'm sorry.....you guys should know me by now.....2 track mind....Pizza and Pretty girls!!!

Okay, Baseball players: The entire pitching staff of the '86' Mets!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Baseball Thread

CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Monroe
      Fabaree
      Welch
      Bacall
      Bisset
      Berry
      Johansen
      Taylor
      Lawrence
      Moore

Oh, baseball players!!!! :lol: I'm sorry.....you guys should know me by now.....2 track mind....Pizza and Pretty girls!!!

Like Gooden, Darling, Ojeda, Fernandez, and Augliera. Great team and great World Series. One of my 3 favorites (along with 69 Mets and 88 Dodgers).

I went to high school with Ed Hearn the backup catcher. The next spring they traded him to KC for David Cone. He was supposed to be the Royals starting catcher for years to come, but he tore his rotor cuff and then ended up with serous kidney problems that ended his career. Needless to say that trade worked out pretty well for the Mets.
    • Baseball Thread

Oh that was just the starting rotation of the 86 Mets. In the bullpen all I remember off the top of my head is Roger McDowell, Jesse Orosco, and Randy Meyers. Hey it has been 27 years.
    • Baseball Thread

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Monroe
      Fabaree
      Welch
      Bacall
      Bisset
      Berry
      Johansen
      Taylor
      Lawrence
      Moore

Like Gooden, Darling, Ojeda, Fernandez, and Augliera. Great team and great World Series. One of my 3 favorites (along with 69 Mets and 88 Dodgers).

I went to high school with Ed Hearn the backup catcher. The next spring they traded him to KC for David Cone. He was supposed to be the Royals starting catcher for years to come, but he tore his rotor cuff and then ended up with serous kidney problems that ended his career. Needless to say that trade worked out pretty well for the Mets.

I don't really watch BB, the mets, yanks and socks...yea it's all good, but that staff was awesome.........2 great pitchers dueling is something to see!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Baseball Thread

Astro wrote:

Who would be on your Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot?

Here is mine.
      Craig Biggio
      Greg Maddux
      Jeff Bagwell
      Allen Trammell
      Mike Piazza
      Jack Morris
      Tom Glavine
      Curt Schilling
      Tim Raines
      Edgar Martinez

Good list. I am furious every time I see hall of fame voting and Pete Rose is not there. What he did was really bad, but people are in that did far worse. How is Charlie Hustle not there? I did not like him as a person. His team beat my Sox. I hated him as a manager. But the all time hit leader needs to be in. His record as a player should stand alone. His sins were not because of his career as a player. When he dies, he will get in so bad people can feel good about themselves. I will need to be in a room by myself when that happens.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Baseball Thread

BirdBrain wrote:

How does Maddux not get unanimous vote? I heard at least one is not going to vote for him because he was in the PED era.

I think it's hard to give him unanimous when no one else ever has gotten it. Or maybe he can be the first to break the string and stop the foolishness of that logic.

I prefer power pitchers over junk ballers. I would much rather have Tom Seaver, Randy Johnson or Nolan Ryan pitching in game 7 than Maddux, but that's just me. I used to hate that the umps were always giving Maddux and Glavine strikes on pitches 6" off the plate.
      First Law of Physics for Backpackers: What goes down must come up.
    • Baseball Thread

namtrag wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

How does Maddux not get unanimous vote? I heard at least one is not going to vote for him because he was in the PED era.

I think it's hard to give him unanimous when no one else ever has gotten it. Or maybe he can be the first to break the string and stop the foolishness of that logic.

I prefer power pitchers over junk ballers. I would much rather have Tom Seaver, Randy Johnson or Nolan Ryan pitching in game 7 than Maddux, but that's just me. I used to hate that the umps were always giving Maddux and Glavine strikes on pitches 6" off the plate.

Good points. I bet Atlanta fans and Maddux would love to trade a few hundred of those calls for a title or 2. How any did they win? It seemed like they were always there and coming up short. Reminds me of Kelly and the Bills. Yes. You have to love Ryan.
    • Baseball Thread

World Series titles (3) 1995 · 1957 · 1914

NL Pennants (17) 1999 · 1996 · 1995 · 1992 · 1991 · 1958 · 1957 · 1948 · 1914 · 1898 · 1897 · 1893 · 1892 · 1891 · 1883 · 1878 · 1877

East Division titles (12) 2013 · 2005 · 2004 · 2003 · 2002 · 2001 · 2000 · 1999 · 1998 · 1997 · 1996 · 1995

West Division titles (5) 1993 · 1992 · 1991 · 1982 · 1969

Wild card berths (2) 2012 · 2010
    • Baseball Thread

BirdBrain wrote:

namtrag wrote:

I believe they won 1 time, but my memory is fuzzy.

He is definitely in the top 10 all time pitchers

Nothing wrong with your memory. Loved Ryan. Hated Clemens.

I still think Clemens is getting shafted by everyone. There is no way he used PED in the 80's...if he did use them, it was in the twilight of his career to prolong it. It's similar to Pete Rose, look at the body of work. Clemens was the dominant pitcher of his time, even if you throw out the last 3-4 years he pitched. He was virtually unhittable in the 80's
    • Baseball Thread

namtrag wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

namtrag wrote:

I believe they won 1 time, but my memory is fuzzy.

He is definitely in the top 10 all time pitchers

Nothing wrong with your memory. Loved Ryan. Hated Clemens.

I still think Clemens is getting shafted by everyone. There is no way he used PED in the 80's...if he did use them, it was in the twilight of his career to prolong it. It's similar to Pete Rose, look at the body of work. Clemens was the dominant pitcher of his time, even if you throw out the last 3-4 years he pitched. He was virtually unhittable in the 80's

I am biased. I am a Red sox fan.
    • Baseball Thread

I feel the same way about McGuire. I believe he used PED's but not steroids. I remember one year he gave over double his salary to charity. With that kind of charity, I would buy the PED's for him. I was a huge Bonds fan early in his career. When his ego got as big as his head, he lost me. So many players cheat. I wish none of them did. I look at the person first. I love my home teams, but despise jerks on any team. I hated Manny being Manny. I never liked Garnett pounding his chest and swearing down the court. Clemens was a jerk while he was in Boston. I tolerated him somewhat because of his raw talent. His last few years he refused to show up at training camp because he was Roger Clemens. I was happy when he became a Yankee so I could really despise him.
    • Re:Baseball Thread

Trebor wrote:

milkman wrote:

Good day for Atlanta.
      Sure is, Glavine and Maddux both made it. Congrats to both.

Glavine was one of those pitchers who looked like he was throwing batting practice, but no one could ever hit the stuff. His stuff looked easier to hit than a slow pitch softball, to an untrained eye like mine, but obviously it was good enough to get him in the HOF!
    • Re:Baseball Thread

An interesting and agonizing thing to watch was when Glavine face a slap hitter like Brett Butler...junk baller vs a guy who could barely hit it over the infield. Made for some interesting at bats.
    • Baseball Thread

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

Do the people who vote even know which end of the bat to hold?

I don't follow basketball...go auburn! :)

65º here.

Gee whiz Bobbyjo.....you got your long johns on? :ohmy:

Do you know I had to put on a jacket. But I still wore shorts. Haven't had pants on in months.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Baseball Thread

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

Do the people who vote even know which end of the bat to hold?

I don't follow basketball...go auburn! :)

65º here.

My knees are feeling great.

Your setting yourself up with that one.

My delay button failed. I am getting nervous. I know you know how to use a bat.
    • Baseball Thread

milkman wrote:

Trammell for sure.

Every GM in his right mind would have jumped at the opportunity to trade Ozzie Smith for Trammell. But all because he did back flips Ozzie is in the HOF, while a middle of line hitter, gold glove defensive shortstop, and solid team leader is not even getting close. I guess Trammell should have not worried so much about driving in runs and being a team leader and instead taking gymnastics classes.

Detroit is like Houston in that they get short changed by the coastal bias. Jack Morris was an ace and would be there if he played in NY, Boston, or LA (same for Biggio, Bagwell, and Trammell).
    • Baseball Thread

As baseball coach I will always take a "pitcher" over a "hard thrower". My son due to his "bad birthday" is usually playing against kids almost a year older than him (and sometimes older than that) and much larger. But he knows how to pitch and I love it when the opposing team parents are going nuts about why their sons can not hit the ball out of the infield or strike out on something they were not expecting.
    • Baseball Thread

Loved the way Pete Rose hustled on the field. But betting on games is the unpardonable sin in baseball. He could have destroyed pitcher's careers based upon one of his bets. Even if he always bet on his own team to win, he could abuse a pitcher's arm to win that one game to cover his bet.

The same competitiveness I loved from Pete when he was on the field is the same reason I would never trust him as a manager who bet on games and why I believe he should NEVER be "inducted" into the HOF.
    • Baseball Thread

Hey Astro, I gotta tell ya about the time when we were living in Flat Rock, Michigan. Detroit Tigers pitcher Fred Gladding moves into the neighborhood and on my street. My friends and I just thought this was the coolest thing. Well, we wanted him to sign out mitts. We walked by real slow for what must have been 2 or 3 weeks trying to see him and ask. Finally we got up enough nerve to go up to the door a knock. He came to the door and we asked him if he would sign out mitts and he yelled at us "you kids get out of here and don't come back". We were stunned. After that we would walk by and yell Fred Gladding YOU SUCK! Along with a lot of other stuff every chance we got and we were big Tiger fans. We would even say hey we gotta go by Fred's and yell you suck. I even got so ballsy I would yell right at him while he was standing in front of the screen door all by myself. He didn't stay very long and moved out and we accredited ourselves with our harassment even though we probably knew it wasn't it still felt good saying it.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.