Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

ATC Gala in Washington DC in May

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ATC Gala in Washington DC in May

So apparently I've been invited to a fancy gala. Call it a first in life to attend such a ritzy event. I hope a black dress with cowboy boots is acceptable. ;) Anyone here happen to be going? Details are below:

I am delighted to invite you to be our guest at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's 7th Annual Leaders in Conservation Awards Gala on the evening of Wednesday, May 11th, 2016 in Washington, DC.
      The theme of this year's event is a celebration of thru-hiking the A.T. as the iconic American journey. We want to give the ATC’s supporters and sponsors, many of whom dream of the day they will thru-hike, a chance to spend an evening dreaming of the Trail with you.
      The evening will be hosted by thru-hiker and ATC Board member, Jennifer Pharr Davis.
      You are one of about 30 thru- and section hikers nominated by ATC staff to personally share your experiences and stories with our guest and supporters.
      Your role during the gala would be to engage with other guests with your personal stories and experiences from the Trail. The evening begins with a cocktail reception followed by dinner and program. You'll be given an assigned seat and table where you'll be the host or co-host.
      The Leaders in Conservation Awards Gala is the Appalachian Trail’s premier fundraising event. Funds raised this year will primarily support the Protecting the A.T. Hiking Experience program, the critical $1.3 million visitor use management project as well as ATC's other vital work to protect and preserve the A.T.
      Here are a few additional details:
      • The event is on the roof terrace of Jones Day, a law firm located on Capitol Hill at 300 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001. It is within walking distance of the Union Station Metro.
      • We ask you to arrive by 5:30 p.m., so you’ll be ready and comfortable when other guests arrive for cocktails at 6:00 p.m. A seated dinner and program follow after cocktails and everything should be over by 9:30 p.m.
      • You are a guest of the ATC at the gala (no charge) and your guests are very welcome to purchase tickets at the discounted rate of $250 per ticket. (As this is a fundraising gala, regular ticket prices are $500.)
      • Unfortunately, we cannot pay for lodging or transportation. However, we can assist with finding low-cost or free options. Please let me know if you would like more information.
      We understand that this would be a major time commitment on your part and truly appreciate your consideration of the invitation. Please reach out to me with any additional questions or concerns. We would love to hear if you'll be able to make it by April 1, if possible.

Thanks so much for considering,
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • that's very cool. Since the event is by within walking distance of Union Station you could stay anywhere out in the suburbs which would be cheaper. Of course "walking distance" is subjective since technically GA is walking distance ftom ME. They say they can find you free lodging. They probably have locals willing to host guests. Instead of cowboy boots you could wear your hiking shoes/boots.
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I go around DC whenever possible. Baltimore too for that matter.
      Yeah, but DC can be fun for a few days if you are hitting the museums and other sites, and can go by train and walk.
      going there by train in about two weeks. DC is a nightmare to drive in.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Hey TW, just want to say congrats! I hope you decide to take advantage and go. As others have said, check with the organizer and it appropriate you should totally wear your hiking shoes!
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I go around DC whenever possible. Baltimore too for that matter.
      Yeah, but DC can be fun for a few days if you are hitting the museums and other sites, and can go by train and walk.
      I wish. :( I'll already have to miss a day's pay to attend arriving the evening before and leaving the morning after.

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Hey TW, just want to say congrats! I hope you decide to take advantage and go. As others have said, check with the organizer and it appropriate you should totally wear your hiking shoes!
      Definitely will check on dress code, but if I can get away with wearing my hiking shoes, you know I will. ;)
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • congrats. whether you decide to attend or not, its certainly an honor to be selected. and to think that just a little over a year ago you paid to take a course to learn some backpacking basics.

if you think that someday maybe you'd want to live in harpers ferry and work for the atc, attending should certainly help your networking efforts.
      2,000 miler
    • I grew up in the MD suburbs of DC. Learned to drive there. It's really not that bad. I actually enjoy driving in big cities. I guess I'm odd that way. Two summers ago I flew to BWI and then took the train to VA for hiking down by Roanoke. I had a long layover both coming and going and was able to spend the whole day going to museums. By the way, if you go in the west entrance of the National Gallery of Art, they have a free bag check. I was able to check my backpack full of gear there while I toured the gallery. While you are only supposed to use it while you are in the gallery, there is nothing to stop you from going to other nearby museums. Just make sure you get back there to claim it before closing. You are not allowed to bring large bags into the museums and not all of them have bag checks or lockers. Also, if you see a Ledo's Pizza - eat there.