Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2016 Its getting much harder to stay employed. (Coffee Talk)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 2016 Its getting much harder to stay employed. (Coffee Talk)

I wanted to take a moment and share with you that I have been out of work since March 1st. I have had the rug pulled out from under me from a great job. I really loved doing over the last 7 years as a licensed - certified - insured Pest Control Tech. I want to work... but the snow on the head is too much for some employers. I had a great review in February, I sold 1/4 million in sales last year. Sold $9000 in February - exceeded exspectations. So here I sit in March at the beginning of the pest season not knowing what to do.
      So what do I do? I Identified the top 20 companies in the area. I visit the sites and discover their advertising practices and interview with the top ten companies that are doing it right. Out of which three prospective companies stood out and I went to second interviews. I find this interesting as I have a clean background, drug free, no DUI.... OMG the paperwork. What many of us do not know... it looks as bad as a telephone book.

There is 10 pages just from Homeland Security.
      1 page for Federal IRS
      2 pages for State taxes.
      A page make sure you have a right to work in the USA.
      I was presented some twenty pages from 2 different background check companies, 1 for all fifty states, the other for the state of PA.
      Quality Pro Standards - another twenty pages and background
      A page on where to go to urinate in a cup. (Drug tests)
      Then there was papers for payroll and banking....
      There were papers for Heath Care... what a mess. At the moment I don't need it. I don't have health issues.

You get the idea.... I had no idea it had gotten this bad in the last ten years. How is a small company supposed to contend with all this crap? I listened to several employers complain about the quality of the younger "lazy" men they have attempted to hire, no work ethic and cant show up on time and its a revolving door. But I had several ask in the process "How old are you?" If you are over 40 stay where you are.

I hope I am back to work next week. Cof123 :thumbup:
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WOO,

I wish you the best in your job search. On one hand all this paperwork tells you something about the quality of applicants companies are use to seeing. You would think having a clean record and work history work put you at the front of the line, but there is also no question that age discrimination is a major barrier that is difficult to overcome.

That is a shame, because companies a missing out when they ignore the wisdom, experience and work ethic that many older workers possess. Part of the negative bias is undoubtably insurance costs and the reluctance of younger bosses to direct someone who is as old as their dad.

Keep up the good fight and in the meantime perhaps you can put some of your skills to work on a self-employed basis. Recognize that most jobs today are obtained through networking. Advertised jobs represent just a fraction of what is out there. When you loose your job it is human nature to keep it too yourself, but now is the time to reach out to the people you know in your community to see if there are any unadvertised opportunities that they know of.

Wish you the best.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

The post was edited 1 time, last by IMScotty ().

• I've encountered the age "issue" in the last few years too, when looking for work.
      And about twice a year my current boss asks me if I have any retirement plans.
      I tell him that I don't because I don't. I promised him I'll give him plenty of advance notice when I do decide.
      He can't find good help around the NY area for what the company wants to pay new hires.
      A lot of these kids don't have an idea of what's expected of a full time employee, forget about a work ethic.
      Good luck and best wishes as you evaluate your situation and decide what to do.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

When people are on the chopping block, you think it's the newest one hired with the least experience. Often it's the older, experienced person with a great employment history because they make more money. It's all about money.
      Sad, but so true. I've seen it happen. I've seen a guy let go who had been at company 25 years just so a younger person with a smaller salary could take his place. What they don't think about is a lot times us older guys are lot more efficient and can the same work or more in half the time. I have a 78 year old superintendent who runs circles around the younger guys.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

When people are on the chopping block, you think it's the newest one hired with the least experience. Often it's the older, experienced person with a great employment history because they make more money. It's all about money.

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sad, but so true. I've seen it happen. I've seen a guy let go who had been at company 25 years just so a younger person with a smaller salary could take his place. What they don't think about is a lot times us older guys are lot more efficient and can the same work or more in half the time. I have a 78 year old superintendent who runs circles around the younger guys.
      While the bosses look at the money an employee costs them they often don't think about the value of what they are getting.
      A little more money spent gets them a lot better, and often more, work done and at better quality.
      It's the whole American mindset.......I want it (whatever "it" is) as cheap as I can get it. And so places like Walmart, and other big box stores become the shopping place of choice instead of the local mom and pop stores. Let me give you an example. When I need stuff for home repairs, instead of heading to Home Depot there is a hardware store I like instead. I run in one day needing something for a home project I was in the middle of, pick out the item and go to the counter to pay. I reach into my pocket and realize that in my haste I forgot to pick up my wallet. The store owner turns to me and says " don't worry about it, just pay the next time you come in". No big box store is gonna do that for you. So there's an example of the extra value I got by paying a little more.
      I better stop before this rant turns into a political diatribe :D
    • With age we aquire experience. Not book learned, real world praticle. On Nantucket I went to work for a company that was my largest client. Corperate paperwork & BS wasn't for me & I quit. Less than a year later they had to refinace & part of the deal was splitting hotel side from commercial rentals. When it got down to two people to head maintenance for commercial side both aproached me to be there #2. I got the job. Soon after taking it I was asked to sit in on a meeting where they were splitting up properties. 16 of the main "suits" were at the conference table & I was among the many more on chairs around it. After listening to presentation engineers & lawers drew up they asked if anyone saw any flaws. I looked around wishing someone else would speak up. No such luck. I raised my hand & when corperate boss gave me go ahead I pulled out a set of asbuilts & proceded to point out many flaws. Pens were scribbling on legsl pads as I flipped through the blueprints I knew because I worked with them, or in what they coverd dailey. In 5 minutes I blew a $50,000,000 deal ready to be signed. Meeting adjourend as all the suits needed to look at the blueprints again. I went back to my office to figure out what job to head to when my boss came in.My direct boss came in from a conference with corperate boss. I was wondering if I was going to be fired. Not only didbig boss send his thanks for pointing out the problems, ny boss got an attaboy for hiring me for my knowledge.
    • I frequent two locally owned shops for the the top notch service I receive from the owners. More than once I've left with a handful of hardware not knowing exactly what item was needed to effect a repair with the understanding I'd return with the unneeded items and pay for the parts used.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • This whole thread is 100% political. I'm not at all saying it should not be here, actually the direct opposite. Unopposed Corporate CEOs will eliminate almost all jobs to robots. This is not wild supposition, they do not hide this fact that his is their objective. We can avoid talking about it at our peril. It's hard to hike with no money.
    • Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

This whole thread is 100% political. I'm not at all saying it should not be here, actually the direct opposite. Unopposed Corporate CEOs will eliminate almost all jobs to robots. This is not wild supposition, they do not hide this fact that his is their objective. We can avoid talking about it at our peril. It's hard to hike with no money.
      It wasn't intended, I was sharing with the group my demise. Always understand that there is "small polotics in everything." I got kicked off WB for 4 days mentioning Rosie, from the five.
    • As someone who has had gray hair for decades, this isn't political at all.

This is about some employers not understanding the experienced employer can save their but*s.

I've been told by people with nothing but book learning on how to repair a computer and I didn't know my job. We were in a training exercise for a military base. One of the laptops, used by a military person whose computer couldn't go down, went down. He fiddled with it for 20 minutes, the General wants an update. The sergeant had to clue what to do. The managers I worked for said tell Jim you're problem. Turns out there was the E-5 who had said I didn't know how to do. I fixed his computer problem is less than 5 minutes, the General got his report, and my boss thanked me later. So did the sergeant.

Its not political when someone wants to not pay someone who has the skills to do the job. Its an error on their part. This quick fix was mentioned as an attaboy at my annual review that year. I got a nice raise to.

I've been turned down for a job, and then worked for that company's competitor. The competitor said something about 'good thing you are working for me.' and I politely pointed out their competitor had turned me down for a job. I didn't get a raise for that one, but at the next 'company type' business lunchoen he mentioned to his competitor he had hired me, when the other guy's interviewer had turned me down.

I've had several periods where I couldn't find work because of people thinking erroniously that people fresh out of school can make no mistakes. Typically 1 to 2 years.

Good luck in your job search !
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Dan76 wrote:

I frequent two locally owned shops for the the top notch service I receive from the owners. More than once I've left with a handful of hardware not knowing exactly what item was needed to effect a repair with the understanding I'd return with the unneeded items and pay for the parts used.
      Agree with frequenting locally owned shops for numerous reasons, not the least of which is great service.

I love the local optical shop, Prestige Eyewear! I have a very hard time picking a pair of frames. The optometrist has twice let me take about 6 pair of frames with me back to the office to ask everyone's opinion on what frames look best. After I polled about 10 people each time, I went with the majority opinion which each time was overwhelming in favor of one particular pair, and then take all the frames back the next day shortly after store opening. And I loved each selection so a big thank you to the optometrist and my fellow co-workers!
    • Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

Unopposed Corporate CEOs will eliminate almost all jobs to robots. This is not wild supposition, they do not hide this fact that his is their objective. We can avoid talking about it at our peril. It's hard to hike with no money.
      Short-sighted CEOs will make personnel cuts shortly after assuming the position in hopes of boosting the bottom line in the next quarter. Of course their bonus is earned as a result of making a goal. However the following 2-3 quarter's profit is impacted as service is reduced and customers flee to competitors and/or increased charge backs occur.

Most often a company's stock price will undergo an uptick as a result of perceived cost cutting.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I've worked for a lot of companies over the years and seen a lot go under, I've seen some really good managers but they are in a very small minority, the degree of incompetence we have achieved in the companies of this country is amazing....the Peter Principal is alive and well and living in the USA.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Well I have been back to work for a week and a half, talk about a wonderful reset. I am back in the same job that I started in 7 years ago. Its a fresh start - no Ogre of a CFO, no donkey service manager - not answering to 15 higher ups because there aren't any. Back to working for an organization that has three talented people to work with. (Owner, Coordinator, IT tech - service supervisor. Back to helping customers and clients that have real needs. The free stuff is back to a minimum or what I call time giveaway or time wasted. A huge issue with the previous company during the summer months.

The only downfall is buying gasoline and using my car instead of a company car. Which I will tax write off.
    • lets move on... I found it very funny when I was suddenly out of work - that many of my friends were concerned more than me... Paul a carpenter said in week two - " you look like you don't have a worry" I said I don't - I have licensed, practical, skills. Someone won't pass up the opportunity. These are the days of Facebook, Angies, Linkedin, Glassdoor, and others... it was easy to identify new successful business to apply to. Sales and licensed employees are low risk. Our industry is begging for talented knowledgeable, service, people!
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

lets move on... I found it very funny when I was suddenly out of work - that many of my friends were concerned more than me... Paul a carpenter said in week two - " you look like you don't have a worry" I said I don't - I have licensed, practical, skills. Someone won't pass up the opportunity. These are the days of Facebook, Angies, Linkedin, Glassdoor, and others... it was easy to identify new successful business to apply to. Sales and licensed employees are low risk. Our industry is begging for talented knowledgeable, service, people!
      I've been unemployed less then six weeks since I was 18 years old. I give no shittttts.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I was unemployed starting in Oct. of 2009 whick lasted until June of 2010.
      Since we don't have any debt and my wife Kathy was till working plus I was collecting unemployment we were OK.
      I considered it an extended vacation and was having a lot of fun.
      One day I woke up and decided the vacation was over and it was time to get back to work.
      I stopped filing , and collecting, the unemployment as a motivator to get me to look for work.
      The first place I applied to hired me and I've been at it ever since.
      Now my concern is how to ease out of working as my age creeps up toward to the age to collect social security and I have access to the moneys I've put away for my "golden" years.