Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

(Politics warning) Make history for the Catskills

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• (Politics warning) Make history for the Catskills

I realize that I'm straying into politics, but this is topical enough that I'm willing to risk the wrath of the site owners.

For those of you who are New York voters, please consider the following. (If you decide that you cannot support it in principle, I'll understand, and this will be my last post on this particular topic. (This is an announcement from the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference and the Catskill Park Coalition that I am repeating.)

Tell Governor Cuomo to Support a $4M Line
      for the Catskills in the Environmental Protection Fund

Help Us Make History -- Call or Email Today!

New York State legislators are in the final days of budget negotiations, and we need YOU to tell Governor Andrew Cuomo that a $4M line for the Catskills in the Environmental Protection Fund (EPF) budget is important for the future of the Park.

It's easy! Call the Governor at 518.474.8390, or email him through this link: www.governor.ny.gov/contact.

State Senators Seward (R-51st District), Bonacic (R, C, IP-42nd District), and Amedore (R, C, IP-46th District) have voiced strong support for the Catskills with a $4M budget line for the region in the EPF. Our Assembly members have included the line in their version of the budget as well. It's now up to the Governor to include the Catskills in his version of the state budget.
      Can we count on you to stand up for the Catskills?

It just takes a few minutes to call or email the Governor and let him know that this is a historic moment for the future of the Catskills. With these funds, we can help build a modern Park by expanding recreational opportunities, strengthening the economy, and protecting the natural resources throughout the Catskill region.

Please stand with the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference and the Catskill Park Coalition and send your message now.

THANK YOU!
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

I realize that I'm straying into politics, but this is topical enough that I'm willing to risk the wrath of the site owners.
      Your living life on the edge Kevin :)

OK, my snarky comments aside, consider this a successful bump. This Massachusetts voter wishes you success.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

FWIW, I personally would consider this more about hiking and a park funding issue than arguing politics.
      Since the AT was born and 100% exists due to political issues such as funding and private vs. public land I feel a more reasonable definition than just a single word "politics" MIGHT be helpful to avoid eliminating essential information that may keep us from walking from Georgia to Maine on public roads and/or stopping at the gates of Baxter, and many other, what I call essential properties. Without "politics" the AT is history and the cafe is out of business.