Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Knead Bread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I got my starter ready this morning for bread baking this afternoon. I fed the two starters per instructions and left them sitting out.

One starter is in a wide-mouth, glass jar and the other is in a plastic container. I closed both lids and when I came home this afternoon, the glass jar was fine but the plastic wasn't.

Should I leave the lids off when readying my starter for baking?
      Images
      • image.jpg

124.15 kB, 800×600, viewed 423 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I got my starter ready this morning for bread baking this afternoon. I fed the two starters per instructions and left them sitting out.

One starter is in a wide-mouth, glass jar and the other is in a plastic container. I closed both lids and when I came home this afternoon, the glass jar was fine but the plastic wasn't.

Should I leave the lids off when readying my starter for baking?
      use a container about 5 times the volume of the starter. You can also fed the starter and make a firmer starter by decreasing the amount of water. The firmer starter develops flavor slower but doesn't burn itself out like a wet starter can.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I just ordered 30 lbs of flour. :D

Despite the bread baking, I'm very close to a weight-loss goal that I made over 6 years ago. 6 Years! I can't believe it. gif.014.gif
      Way to go TJ!

I am down 14 pounds since I asked for advice. Breakfast is raisin bran with skim milk. The rest of the day is 12.5 ounce canned chicken, 15 ounce canned potatoes, and about 15 ounces of carrots, beets, or corn. I add La Victoria salsa or Dolgencorp Cajun seasoning for flavor. The total calories per day is not quite 2000. Some might not like the monotony, but I am happy to eat the same thing day after day.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Despite the bread baking, I'm very close to a weight-loss goal that I made over 6 years ago. 6 Years! I can't believe it. gif.014.gif
      Atta girl!

Wise Old Owl wrote:

30 pounds? why? are you feeding the fire dept? I only use about 5 pounds per year!
      That would be about a week for me...or two good feeding frenzies.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Atta girl!

Wise Old Owl wrote:

30 pounds? why? are you feeding the fire dept? I only use about 5 pounds per year!
      That would be about a week for me...or two good feeding frenzies.
      I used nearly 7 lbs (3 and change kg) of flour last weekend feeding a volunteer FD. Dutch oven pineapple upside cakes along with two cobblers and of course biscuits. A buddy did the brisket and sausage.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I believe mental note mentioned problems making whole wheat bread. (That was a mouthful). :)
      I tried a few things this week and ended up with yummy, wheat cinnamon rolls.

Rasty, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) After mixing the ingredients, let the dough sit for 30 minutes before kneading to allow time for the wheat to absorb the liquid. Wheat flour absorbs liquid slower than white flour.

2) Add Vital Wheat Gluten. This extra gluten helps low-protein flours, like wheat and rye, to rise.

3) When rising, cover the bowl with plastic wrap to hold in moisture. If the top of the bread gets dry, it can't expand.

4) Place a bowl of boiling water near the rising dough. Moisture and heat will help the dough to rise.

5) Be patient! Give your wheat dough plenty of time to rise, maybe hours and hours longer than white flour dough.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I believe mental note mentioned problems making whole wheat bread. (That was a mouthful). :)
      I tried a few things this week and ended up with yummy, wheat cinnamon rolls.

Rasty, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) After mixing the ingredients, let the dough sit for 30 minutes before kneading to allow time for the wheat to absorb the liquid. Wheat flour absorbs liquid slower than white flour.

2) Add Vital Wheat Gluten. This extra gluten helps low-protein flours, like wheat and rye, to rise.

3) When rising, cover the bowl with plastic wrap to hold in moisture. If the top of the bread gets dry, it can't expand.

4) Place a bowl of boiling water near the rising dough. Moisture and heat will help the dough to rise.

5) Be patient! Give your wheat dough plenty of time to rise, maybe hours and hours longer than white flour dough.
      I just pretty much say...Hey baby make me some bread....a lot less fuss that way.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • I made the most amazing bread ever. breadtopia.com/whole-grain-sourdough/

I used this recipe from breadtopia that takes three days but modified it to two days. I forgot the salt so added it and then did an extra knead.

The dough was weird because it was so sticky. I weighed all the ingredients...what was wrong? I had to keep adding flour just to keep it from sticking to my hands, at least a cup or more.

When it came out of the oven I thought it was a disaster but the first bite proved me wrong. OMG!
      Images
      • image.jpeg

242.19 kB, 800×600, viewed 441 times
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I made the most amazing bread ever. breadtopia.com/whole-grain-sourdough/

I used this recipe from breadtopia that takes three days but modified it to two days. I forgot the salt so added it and then did an extra knead.

The dough was weird because it was so sticky. I weighed all the ingredients...what was wrong? I had to keep adding flour just to keep it from sticking to my hands, at least a cup or more.

When it came out of the oven I thought it was a disaster but the first bite proved me wrong. OMG!
      Flour has a variable absorption rate. Sometimes flour will absorb much more water then other times because of the moisture content of the flour. Really nice fresh flour has enough moisture that when you put it in your hand it feels moist. Water, salt and yeast don't vary at all.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

that looks really good
    • sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

that looks really good
      I can't even describe the taste, it was very complex...sour and earthy.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

that looks really good
      It's not very nice to post fresh home made bread photos.
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Flour has a variable absorption rate. Sometimes flour will absorb much more water then other times because of the moisture content of the flour. Really nice fresh flour has enough moisture that when you put it in your hand it feels moist. Water, salt and yeast don't vary at all.
      What's odd to me is that no matter how much flour I added, it didn't change the stickiness of the dough. It kept it from sticking to my hands for a minute then I'd have to add more...it always stayed sticky.

I'm definitely making this one again, it was amazing. I spread blackberry jam on it and warmed it by the fire on my windscreen.
      Images
      • image.jpeg

286.03 kB, 800×600, viewed 442 times
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

that looks really good
      It's not very nice to post fresh home made bread photos.
      originally, I packed flour tortillas for my hike but said eff it, I don't care how much it weighs, I'm taking bread.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

What's odd to me is that no matter how much flour I added, it didn't change the stickiness of the dough. It kept it from sticking to my hands for a minute then I'd have to add more...it always stayed sticky.
      I'm definitely making this one again, it was amazing. I spread blackberry jam on it and warmed it by the fire on my windscreen.
      I like that multifunctional wind screen...whoever took those two bites from that bread has a big mouth.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

IO'vbe ghot faty finberts.
      How late at night did you post this? I concerned about your Finberts... I hope they are not contagious.
      Anyway, the Breadtopia Sourdough starter arrived on Monday and we have fed it water and flour every day and wow is it Sour! we will make a loaf tomorrow.
      Drybones said "I like that multifunctional wind screen...whoever took those two bites from that bread has a big mouth."

I ignored the literal meaning of "big mouth" and responded to the figurative meaning by fat-fingering "I've got fat fingers." That is probably a non-sequitur to most, but I am like the 40 pound midget with two ten-pound testicles, who is half nuts.
    • The truth is my fingers are long and skinny, my hands are large, and one size fits most, but not me. I buy size XL gloves. I can reach an octave and a third on a piano with my thumb and little finger. Thankfully my footwear is only size 11, not 13 like some guys I know.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

that looks really good
      Your description resembles Russian black bread. Good stuff when fresh and when stale dipped into soup.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

that looks really good
      I experience that taste when I drop food on the ground...ain't complex though, it's gritty.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

that looks really good
      so are my hiking socks
    • I made the no-knead, Breadtopia recipe again but this time I followed the 3 day prep. I don't have a Dutch oven or cloche so thought about baking it on my pizza stone using a pot as a cover...did some googling and discovered that I can bake it right in the pot with the lid on.

I hope it tastes as good as it looks.
      Images
      • image.jpeg

255.92 kB, 800×600, viewed 356 times