Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Knead Bread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Just finished baking my contribution to a Christmas Eve gathering...Brie topped by homemade blackberry jam surrounded by pastry. Along with a bowl of tangerines, for those desiring a lower calorie treat.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Just finished baking my contribution to a Christmas Eve gathering...Brie topped by homemade blackberry jam surrounded by pastry. Along with a bowl of tangerines, for those desiring a lower calorie treat.

sounds great! I brought some bread I made today to a friends for dinner, it tasted great, but didn't get the rustic store bought look I had previously been able to achieve...I think it's back to basics for me, I got cocky and wingin' it for a bit.
    • Biscuits! They aren't easy to make. I started off trying to make sourdough biscuits. The first batch was like hockey pucks. The second batch was better but tasted like bisquick biscuits, no sourdough flavor and were terribly crumbly on day 2.

So will go back to the basics and add the sourdough later. My son works at a biscuit restaurant and says they roll out the biscuit dough, fold several times to get the layers, then cut them out.

A few other tips that I came across...

The butter must be cold

Don't cut them out with a glass or mug, it compresses the edges of the dough so it doesn't rise, use a biscuit cutter or drop method

Meat/Socks advises to use White Lily flour. Thanks for the tip!

Make sure your baking powder is fresh. Many people swear by Bakewell Cream baking powder from Maine
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• I made bread on Thansgiving and it turned out PERFECT! I didn't think of this thread to pop in and post photos or anything. Just saw it in the "unread threads" pile and thought I'd mention it. I bought myself a KitchenAid stand mixer, with a dough hook. Followed the bread recipe in the user's manual. I'll have to gain some more confidence to venture beyond that, but I was VERY happy with the result.

P.S. - I think I posted here before that I have had next to zero success with bread in the past, to include using one of those "foolproof" breadmakers.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

I made bread on Thansgiving and it turned out PERFECT! I didn't think of this thread to pop in and post photos or anything. Just saw it in the "unread threads" pile and thought I'd mention it. I bought myself a KitchenAid stand mixer, with a dough hook. Followed the bread recipe in the user's manual. I'll have to gain some more confidence to venture beyond that, but I was VERY happy with the result.

P.S. - I think I posted here before that I have had next to zero success with bread in the past, to include using one of those "foolproof" breadmakers.
      great equipment for the kitchen.

Try raisin cinnamon bread. Here's a good recipe I've used.

food.com/recipe/worlds-best-ci…achine-98867?photo=391787

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Grinder wrote:

I made bread on Thansgiving and it turned out PERFECT! I didn't think of this thread to pop in and post photos or anything. Just saw it in the "unread threads" pile and thought I'd mention it. I bought myself a KitchenAid stand mixer, with a dough hook. Followed the bread recipe in the user's manual. I'll have to gain some more confidence to venture beyond that, but I was VERY happy with the result.

yes you did if I recall, glad it worked out, my sister just gave me her old stand mixer, which is damn near new to me, they're great! Also got a good processor for xmas, but what I really need is a place to put all this stuff :D Im pretty sure George Carlson had something to say about all this...stuff. :)
    • meat wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Try raisin cinnamon bread.
      Not sure if I could bake something I won't eat, but if I hear of anyone else digging it, maybe so. Thank you for the recipe.
      woah woah woah, back up...won't eat cinnimon bread? I've never known a soul who wouldn't eat cinnamon bread KillMe
      That is fine, I will greatfully volunteer to eat Grinder's portion of raisin cinnamon bread for him. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Ive been leaving my sourdough starter out 4 days/week and feeding it at least every day of those 4. If it's used on day 2 or 3, I try to feed it extra. It does better with several feedings before use. On work days, it goes in the fridge.

I have two right now. One is fed with white, bread flour, the other is fed with rye (sometimes whole wheat) flour.

Interestingly, after feeding, the rye starter activates quicker than the white, yet when used, takes longer to rise and is more fiddly.

Question...
      originally, I was discarding starter before feeding it (which I hate to do) because that's what the instructions say. Because I keep my volume low, 1-2+ cups, a few times there wasn't enough for my recipe. So lately I've not been discarding any...just feed it, increase the volume, use it, and feed again.

Is this ok? Any long-term disadvantage to not keeping the starter and "feed" to the recommended proportions?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Doh! just realized that because it's winter and colder, the starter doesn't explode after feeding so can tolerate being fed repetitively without having to discard any, whereas in summer...
      I love a good experiment, especially when it goes a rye...pun intended! :thumbsup: It's how we learn.

While reading your first question I was thinking of a picture of "the blob" and was gonna search the net for a visual to post, but your second post saved me the trouble, thanks! :D
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Doh! just realized that because it's winter and colder, the starter doesn't explode after feeding so can tolerate being fed repetitively without having to discard any, whereas in summer...
      Not bread but kinda related. I have been fermenting my chicken food. I put it in a mason jar cover with water, put a cloth over it and put it in a dark place. Stir twice a day for three days.
      It's a sour ferment like sour dough. Makes the food easier to digest for the chickens and gives them nutritious pro-biotics. The chickies like it too.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Not bread but kinda related. I have been fermenting my chicken food. I put it in a mason jar cover with water, put a cloth over it and put it in a dark place. Stir twice a day for three days.It's a sour ferment like sour dough. Makes the food easier to digest for the chickens and gives them nutritious pro-biotics. The chickies like it too.
      That's a great example of the healthy benefit of fermented food.
    • I haven't tried making biscuits recently but did find some White Lily flour at the grocery store. They were sold out except one, small bag which I snatched up like it was this years hottest Christmas toy. :)

Also got a package from King Arthur Flour with a biscuit cutter and Bakewell Cream. It came with a sticker on the can that said, "contains GMO". My biscuits better look like they're on steroids!
    • Biscuits need to be gently mixed and never need kneading. I mix my dry ingredients, cut in the cold butter and then just mix in the buttermilk. I roll the very soft dough into a floured table, dust the top with flour and pat the dough down to thickness with my hands. The last thing you want to do is knead.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I haven't tried making biscuits recently but did find some White Lily flour at the grocery store. They were sold out except one, small bag which I snatched up like it was this years hottest Christmas toy. :)

Also got a package from King Arthur Flour with a biscuit cutter and Bakewell Cream. It came with a sticker on the can that said, "contains GMO". My biscuits better look like they're on steroids!
      what's GMO?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I haven't tried making biscuits recently but did find some White Lily flour at the grocery store. They were sold out except one, small bag which I snatched up like it was this years hottest Christmas toy. :)

what's GMO?
      Genetically Modified Organism

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

what's GMO?
      Genetically Modified Organism
      en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism
      For a second my mind misread that last word. Cof124
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

what's GMO?
      Genetically Modified Organismen.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism
      I'd love to hear one of those just once. :D
    • Rasty wrote:

Biscuits need to be gently mixed and never need kneading. I mix my dry ingredients, cut in the cold butter and then just mix in the buttermilk. I roll the very soft dough into a floured table, dust the top with flour and pat the dough down to thickness with my hands. The last thing you want to do is knead.
      I love it when you talk kitchen. :)
    • meat wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

what's GMO?
      Genetically Modified Organismen.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism
      I'd love to hear one of those just once. :D
      Some organists are better than others. I don't know any GM organists.