Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Knead Bread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• mental note wrote:

Question?
      Anybody here bake bread using a pan of hot water in the oven? I tried it once but didn't get the store bought effect I was looking for.
      Yes. However I use a shallow oven proof saucer with just a millimeter or two of water to promote rapid evaporation for the steam effect.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • This last month, I've been "proofing" my bread in the car. It rises really high, really fast.

(For some reason the word "proofing" gets on my nerves). :)

For my basic loaf of bread, I do one rise, shape the dough, put it in a bread pan, let it rise again.
      Several times recently, the dough deflated when putting it in the oven and I have to let it sit and rise again. What's going on?
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

This last month, I've been "proofing" my bread in the car. It rises really high, really fast.

For my basic loaf of bread, I do one rise, shape the dough, put it in a bread pan, let it rise again.
      Several times recently, the dough deflated when putting it in the oven and I have to let it sit and rise again. What's going on?
      Honestly, not a clue!
    • TrafficJam wrote:

This last month, I've been "proofing" my bread in the car. It rises really high, really fast.

Bet your car doesn't need an air freshener.

Rather than 'proofing, you can utilize more technical terms such as 'blooming' or 'proving'.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rather than 'proofing, you can utilize more technical terms such as 'blooming' or 'proving'.
      My wife calls it rising. As in, "I've got bread rising don't do anything stupid out there." As I mess around in the kitchen.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Blooming sounds good. For some reason, proofing sounds pretentious.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • Dan76 wrote:

mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

just bloomed two loaves of garlic, rosemary sourdough. :)

I's a beautiful thing! I'm makin' some chicken stock right now.
      Do you use chicken bones when creating stock?
      Apsorootly! Some of the stock got turned into this! Frounch onion soup.

If Ida had some Ox tails on hand I'd have made beef broth, or consumé but had to use the carton stuff...came out pretty tasty.
      Images
      • image.jpeg

53.49 kB, 450×600, viewed 55 times
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Is that a bread fart?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • mental note wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Apsorootly! Some of the stock got turned into this! Frounch onion soup.
      If Ida had some Ox tails on hand I'd have made beef broth, or consumé but had to use the carton stuff...came out pretty tasty.
      Darn it Scotty, get the transporter working!
    • SandyofPA wrote:

mental note wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Apsorootly! Some of the stock got turned into this! Frounch onion soup.If Ida had some Ox tails on hand I'd have made beef broth, or consumé but had to use the carton stuff...came out pretty tasty.
      Darn it Scotty, get the transporter working!
      Aye Captain!
    • jimmyjam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I told the mrs about this bread thread and asked her if she would make some. She told me to quit looking at it.
      Sad. Hopefully she will change her mind.
      I think I'll learn to make some and then not share with her. HA! :evil:
      Get a bread machine. I intend to buy one next year. Bread making is fun and rewarding but takes a lot of time to do it by hand (I don't have a mixer either).

Stephan Pastis
    • mental note wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

One of my bread books suggests throwing ice cubes in the oven rather thn a tray of water. I guess a better less dense steam. Another is a spray bottle of water directly on the heating coils (electric oven)
      missed this last week, definitely tryin that, thanks.
      keep us informed on how it works.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

Tuckahoe mentioned having faccocia bread while on vacation, and that got me wantn' some...So, I made some today, came out pretty good.

Carmalized onion, garlic, capers, Parmesan cheese, and fresh rosemary from the garden.

I used capers cause I didn't have any olives, they were ok, but in the future I'd rough em up a bit by mincing, so they don't roll all over the place.
      My focaccia didn't turn out very good. How did you make it?
      I made it just like I make regular bread, the only difference was the addition of a 1/2 cup of olive oil, which seems to make it very soft inside vs. a hard crust and chewy bread.
      About 3 cups of bread flour as the dough dictates
      Yeast
      Good! Pinch a Salt
      About a table spoon of Sugar
      1 cup water
      1/2 cup olive oil
      Let rise in a oiled bowl, covered with wet tea towel about 90 mins
      Punched down and placed on well oiled baking sheet, shaping it in a long rectangle, then add dimples by pressing down firmly, brush on more olive oil generously, bake on lowest rack at 400 degrees for about 25 mins.

When I make most other breads I put on top rack in oven and bake at about 475 degrees for about 45 mins...so location in oven and time seems to have somethin' to do with it.
      Fat is shortening. The term shortening directly refers to shortening the gluten strands in baking pie, cake or bread.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • mental note wrote:

Question?
      Anybody here bake bread using a pan of hot water in the oven? I tried it once but didn't get the store bought effect I was looking for.
      The best results I've had without steam injection was to spray the bread directly with water using a spray bottle just before placing in the oven. The idea with steam is to get water on the surface of the dough.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

Tuckahoe mentioned having faccocia bread while on vacation, and that got me wantn' some...So, I made some today, came out pretty good.

Carmalized onion, garlic, capers, Parmesan cheese, and fresh rosemary from the garden.

I used capers cause I didn't have any olives, they were ok, but in the future I'd rough em up a bit by mincing, so they don't roll all over the place.
      My focaccia didn't turn out very good. How did you make it?
      I made it just like I make regular bread, the only difference was the addition of a 1/2 cup of olive oil, which seems to make it very soft inside vs. a hard crust and chewy bread.About 3 cups of bread flour as the dough dictates
      Yeast
      Good! Pinch a Salt
      About a table spoon of Sugar
      1 cup water
      1/2 cup olive oil
      Let rise in a oiled bowl, covered with wet tea towel about 90 mins
      Punched down and placed on well oiled baking sheet, shaping it in a long rectangle, then add dimples by pressing down firmly, brush on more olive oil generously, bake on lowest rack at 400 degrees for about 25 mins.

When I make most other breads I put on top rack in oven and bake at about 475 degrees for about 45 mins...so location in oven and time seems to have somethin' to do with it.
      Fat is shortening. The term shortening directly refers to shortening the gluten strands in baking pie, cake or bread.
      Well now that makes good literal sense. Sometimes we over look the obvious.

Rasty wrote:

mental note wrote:

Question?
      The best results I've had without steam injection was to spray the bread directly with water using a spray bottle just before placing in the oven. The idea with steam is to get water on the surface of the dough.
      I think you may have shortend the learning curve of my bread making by years, gracias!