Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Knead Bread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ScareBear wrote:

Glad you are feeling better. The flu/virus going around is a doozy. I had it and I missed two days at the office. First sick days of 2017...and the last...just sayin...
      It was terrible. I never get sick but had to call in one day...first day I’ve missed since 2015 (not counting 6 weeks off for surgery in 2016). It kind of sucked because I have tons of sick time but got sick on a long stretch off.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • My daughter gave me a scone pan and cranberry scone mix for Christmas. I can’t wait to make them.

I have lots of plans for scones. Today I received an order from King Arthur Flour with cinnamon sweet bits, lemon wafers, espresso powder, and sparkling sugar...this is gonna be fun.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

My daughter gave me a scone pan and cranberry scone mix for Christmas. I can’t wait to make them.

I have lots of plans for scones. Today I received an order from King Arthur Flour with cinnamon sweet bits, lemon wafers, espresso powder, and sparkling sugar...this is gonna be fun.
      Scones are good. Mixup on start time for church Sunday morning, so we had 45 minutes to so my wife wanted to do it at Starbucks. I am not a coffee drinker, but I did enjoy the cranberry scone. :)
      It was good, but I wouldn't be surprised if yours were even better. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • The cinnamon scones were good but needed raisins and icing so I made a cinnamon glaze, yum.

The lemon blueberry scones are awesome and need nothing. I used lemon wafers and they aren’t very attractive so will chop them up next time. But, oh my, they are great!
      Images
      • 4CB02E47-8EE2-427E-A091-9D19B512B6D5.jpeg

199.31 kB, 774×600, viewed 384 times
      • 6E1A170B-B6A0-46E7-A04C-E13A2DB727A3.jpeg

186.45 kB, 755×600, viewed 324 times
    • Bo Peep wrote:

The cinnamon scones were good but needed raisins and icing so I made a cinnamon glaze, yum.

The lemon blueberry scones are awesome and need nothing. I used lemon wafers and they aren’t very attractive so will chop them up next time. But, oh my, they are great!
      Any leftovers? If so, Jake and I are on the way.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Oh my, sometimes my stupidity amuses me.

I am starting a 3 day, bread recipe. This is my normal process for measuring the ingredients...

Weigh bowl, write down the weight on a piece of paper. Add 120 to that number. Whatever the sum is, add sourdough starter to the bowl until reaching that number. Next, add 236 to the sum of the bowl and starter. Again, whatever that number is, add whole wheat flour until the scale reflects the total. Continue until all ingredients are weighed.

Lol! I just realized the scale can be zeroed between each ingredient and no math is required. It only took two years to figure this out. ^^
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Oh my, sometimes my stupidity amuses me.

I am starting a 3 day, bread recipe. This is my normal process for measuring the ingredients...

Weigh bowl, write down the weight on a piece of paper. Add 120 to that number. Whatever the sum is, add sourdough starter to the bowl until reaching that number. Next, add 236 to the sum of the bowl and starter. Again, whatever that number is, add whole wheat flour until the scale reflects the total. Continue until all ingredients are weighed.

Lol! I just realized the scale can be zeroed between each ingredient and no math is required. It only took two years to figure this out. ^^
      Blonde lol :D
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Bo Peep wrote:

But hey, doing the math is good practice for your mind. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

how about the bread...tasty?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Astro wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

how about the bread...tasty?
      Delicious, the best this recipe has produced. Whole grain sourdough.
      Images
      • 57369106-6BA0-4AF4-9331-BC4B250F008D.jpeg

216.09 kB, 797×600, viewed 313 times
    • My latest scone creation...chocolate espresso. When reviewing the photo, I realized the sparkling sugar looks like salt which gave me the idea to (next time) sprinkle them with sea salt and drizzle with caramel sauce. :)

I couldn’t help it and ate one this afternoon (after drinking a cup of coffee). At spin class tonight, I started having palpitations from the caffeine and chocolate, lol. It only lasted 15-30 seconds.
      Images
      • 4FEE0392-3436-4238-9E79-BE88403D3EF0.jpeg

238.63 kB, 800×600, viewed 312 times
    • Bo Peep wrote:

My latest scone creation...chocolate espresso. When reviewing the photo, I realized the sparkling sugar looks like salt which gave me the idea to (next time) sprinkle them with sea salt and drizzle with caramel sauce. :)

I couldn’t help it and ate one this afternoon (after drinking a cup of coffee). At spin class tonight, I started having palpitations from the caffeine and chocolate, lol. It only lasted 15-30 seconds.
      that would be great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Bo Peep wrote:

My latest scone creation...chocolate espresso. When reviewing the photo, I realized the sparkling sugar looks like salt which gave me the idea to (next time) sprinkle them with sea salt and drizzle with caramel sauce. :)

Might try drizzling the caramel first and then sprinkling the salt. A couple of weeks ago tried a donut from a local shop using this technique. Tasty.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Bo Peep wrote:

My daughter gave me a scone pan and cranberry scone mix for Christmas. I can’t wait to make them.

When we hiked the AT in Vermont Kathy realized we weren't that far from the King Arthur Bakers Store.
      For 2 or 3 successive years we made a visit to the store, which is a very nicely done, large place.
      If you ever get to Vermont to hike make the side trip to the Baker's Store, you won't be sorry you did.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

When we hiked the AT in Vermont Kathy realized we weren't that far from the King Arthur Bakers Store.For 2 or 3 successive years we made a visit to the store, which is a very nicely done, large place.
      If you ever get to Vermont to hike make the side trip to the Baker's Store, you won't be sorry you did.
      I guess I missed it, but did hit Lou's once I made it over the river into Hanover for my free muffin (and them some). :)
    • My wife and I have been to King Arthur. We took the bread baking class together and unfortunately for my waist line she has taken the pie baking class. :) Their cafe is a great place to eat and the well stocked store always assures that when we leave we DON'T leave empty handed
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • montana mac wrote:

My wife and I have been to King Arthur. We took the bread baking class together and unfortunately for my waist line she has taken the pie baking class. :) Their cafe is a great place to eat and the well stocked store always assures that when we leave we DON'T leave empty handed
      I’d love to visit and take a class. Maybe one day.

Most of my ingredients come from King Arthur Flour. I drool over their catalogs. And they have awesome recipes.
    • Dan76 wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

Might try drizzling the caramel first and then sprinkling the salt. A couple of weeks ago tried a donut from a local shop using this technique. Tasty.
      what do you think about adding bacon crumbles?
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

what do you think about adding bacon crumbles?
      bacon makes just about everything better, except ice cream. I tried it and it's nasty.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

........and a whisky.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

........and a whisky.
      I’ve got to catch y’all up on my bourbon/whiskey reviews in the whiskey thread, I’m way behind.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I can make spoon bread. Does that count? I love spoon bread, I can eat a mountain of it.
      What is spoon bread? I’ve heard of it but not sure what it is,
      what???? And you live where? There are two kinds that I have seen. One adds corn kernals or creamed corn. I like the traditional one like this: tasteofhome.com/recipes/kentucky-spoon-bread
      You can sometimes find an instant mix or use the recipe off a box of cornbread mix. When my daughter comes to visit I'll make it and whip up some battered fried pork chops- southern goodness :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference